Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food as Medicine...

ImStillMags wrote:
> wow.....fascinating article.....
>
> I'm on the side of the 'you are what you eat' folks and I really do
> believe that food can be a cure or a curse for many.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/ma...epsy-t.html?hp

Ketogenic dieting for seizures isn't new. I don't know how long the
practice has been around, but it's definitely been around for some
amount of time. It's also very popular with bodybuilders.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:00:55 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

> ImStillMags wrote:
>> wow.....fascinating article.....
>>
>> I'm on the side of the 'you are what you eat' folks and I really do
>> believe that food can be a cure or a curse for many.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/ma...epsy-t.html?hp

> Ketogenic dieting for seizures isn't new. I don't know how long the
> practice has been around, but it's definitely been around for some
> amount of time. It's also very popular with bodybuilders.

Thanks for pointing out what the story was about. I wouldn't have
read it otherwise (and I didn't notice the keyword in the link).

The method also works in adults, but as the article mentions, very
few adults could adhere to that strict a diet. Especially a mild
epileptic foodie.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> ImStillMags wrote:
> > wow.....fascinating article.....
> >
> > I'm on the side of the 'you are what you eat' folks and I really do
> > believe that food can be a cure or a curse for many.
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/ma...epsy-t.html?hp

> Ketogenic dieting for seizures isn't new. I don't know how long the
> practice has been around, but it's definitely been around for some
> amount of time. It's also very popular with bodybuilders.

It dates from the very early 20th century. It was
developed by John Harvey Kellogg, co-inventor of corn
flakes. His younger brother started the Kellogg's
breakfast cereal company, after committing the unforgivable
sin of adding white sugar to the recipe. The brothers
did not speak to each other after that.

The movie _Road_to_Wellville_ was a remarkably accurate
depiction of the practices at the Battle Creek Sanitarium
at that time.

The ketogenic diet is useful because some cases of epilepsy
are not responsive to drug therapy, but do respond to the
dietary therapy. However, it is a difficult diet to maintain
compliance, so it is only used as a last resort after drugs
have failed.

my plan of medicine food Gus! General Cooking 47 26-07-2014 11:25 PM
Views of the past; Plants for Food and Medicine Landon General Cooking 16 18-06-2011 07:54 PM
Miracles in Medicine rose Diabetic 7 28-03-2008 09:22 PM
food is medicine [email protected] General Cooking 2 04-07-2007 04:27 AM
New Zealand medicine? magicleaf Tea 6 19-03-2007 09:56 AM