Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mmmm it's Albondigas Soup time

An aromatic brothy soup with delectable minty meatballs and
vegetables.

It's so stinkin' good and so easy.

Step by step and photos are on my blog if you are interested

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...igas-soup.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/38jfsnd

Here's the recipe I used.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Albondigas Soup

soup/stew

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
3 quarts of chicken stock or beef stock
2 large carrots, sliced
1/2 lb string beans; cut into 1 inch pieces
meatballs
1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup of raw white rice
1 raw egg
1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint leaves and/or; parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/1/2 cup of frozen or fresh peas
dried oregano, crumbled
salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and
minced garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomato
sauce and broth mixture. Bring to boil and simmer. Add carrots and
string beans.

Prepare meatballs. Mix rice into meat, adding mint land parsley
leaves, salt and pepper. Add raw egg. Form beef into 1-inch meatballs.
Return soup to gentle simmer. Add meatballs to soup. Cover and let
simmer for 1/2 hour. Add peas towards the end of the 1/2 hour. Add a
few pinches of oregano and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish soup with chopped fresh cilantro.

Preparation time: 1 hour.

Serves 6-8.

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 11/10/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> Albondigas Soup
>
> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> 1 large onion, chopped
> 1 large garlic clove, minced
> 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
> 3 quarts of chicken stock or beef stock
> 2 large carrots, sliced
> 1/2 lb string beans; cut into 1 inch pieces
> meatballs
> 1 pound ground beef
> 1/3 cup of raw white rice
> 1 raw egg
> 1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint leaves and/or; parsley
> 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/1/2 cup of frozen or fresh peas
> dried oregano, crumbled
> salt and pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
>
> Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and
> minced garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomato
> sauce and broth mixture. Bring to boil and simmer. Add carrots and
> string beans.
>
> Prepare meatballs. Mix rice into meat, adding mint land parsley
> leaves, salt and pepper. Add raw egg. Form beef into 1-inch meatballs.
> Return soup to gentle simmer. Add meatballs to soup. Cover and let
> simmer for 1/2 hour. Add peas towards the end of the 1/2 hour. Add a
> few pinches of oregano and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
> Garnish soup with chopped fresh cilantro.
>
> Preparation time: 1 hour.
>
> Serves 6-8.

Hmmmm... My weekend starts in 9 hours. I might make this, but use lamb
instead of beef and use leaves from our under-utilized chocolate mint plant.
(I'd also cut the recipe by a factor of two or three.)

Thanks, koko!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 20:30:51 -0800, koko > wrote:

> An aromatic brothy soup with delectable minty meatballs and
> vegetables.
>
> It's so stinkin' good and so easy.

Oh yeah, YUMMY! Haven't made albondigas since last winter. I'm
putting that on the list of things to make for dinner next week.
Thanks for the kick in the pants. LOL

No mint for me, cilantro all the way and zucchini instead of peas.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> An aromatic brothy soup with delectable minty meatballs and
>> vegetables.
>>
>> It's so stinkin' good and so easy.

> Oh yeah, YUMMY! Haven't made albondigas since last winter. I'm
> putting that on the list of things to make for dinner next week.
> Thanks for the kick in the pants. LOL
>
> No mint for me, cilantro all the way and zucchini instead of peas.

Heh... funny how we took opposite directions: I'm using lamb instead of beef
*because* I'm including mint and peas, both of which go superbly with lamb.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 14/11/2010 05:30, koko ha scritto:

> Prepare meatballs. Mix rice into meat, adding mint land parsley

So the rice in uncooked when you mix it in, and gets cooked in the
meatball simmering in the soup? It sounds interesting.
Where is this recipe from? The name sounds spanich, is it from Mexico?
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Speaking of wedding soup, what happened to Campbell's Wedding Soup?
It's changed labels a few times, but this last time they changed
the recipe as well.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 14, 12:57*am, sf > wrote:

> Oh yeah, YUMMY! *Haven't made albondigas since last winter. *I'm
> putting that on the list of things to make for dinner next week.
> Thanks for the kick in the pants. *LOL
>
> No mint for me, cilantro all the way and zucchini instead of peas. *

The albondigas I served was taught to me by my friend and employee
Mona. I put her recipe on the web site because it's so good. She
uses cilantro and zucchini as well.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/lun...nas-albondigas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 01:13:49 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> An aromatic brothy soup with delectable minty meatballs and
> >> vegetables.
> >>
> >> It's so stinkin' good and so easy.

> > Oh yeah, YUMMY! Haven't made albondigas since last winter. I'm
> > putting that on the list of things to make for dinner next week.
> > Thanks for the kick in the pants. LOL
> >
> > No mint for me, cilantro all the way and zucchini instead of peas.

> Heh... funny how we took opposite directions: I'm using lamb instead of beef
> *because* I'm including mint and peas, both of which go superbly with lamb.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea too - but I'm making mine my way.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:49:01 +0100, ViLco > wrote:

> Il 14/11/2010 05:30, koko ha scritto:
>
> > Prepare meatballs. Mix rice into meat, adding mint land parsley

> So the rice in uncooked when you mix it in, and gets cooked in the
> meatball simmering in the soup? It sounds interesting.
> Where is this recipe from? The name sounds spanich, is it from Mexico?

Mexico is the likeliest suspect for us. I learned it from an
ex-daughter-in-law who was half Mexican. Cooking over here is mainly
influenced by somewhere else. Not just one somewhere else like the
Brits and India, we have many influences... from many different
directions and they are often so much a part of our fabric that we
have forgotten where they came from.

Here's a little albondigas history for you.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-albondigas.htm

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ViLco > wrote:

> Il 14/11/2010 05:30, koko ha scritto:
>
> > Prepare meatballs. Mix rice into meat, adding mint land parsley

> So the rice in uncooked when you mix it in, and gets cooked in the
> meatball simmering in the soup? It sounds interesting.
> Where is this recipe from? The name sounds spanich, is it from Mexico?

From my dictionary:

albondigas

plural noun

small meatballs, prepared in the Mexican, Spanish, or South American way.

ORIGIN Spanish, from Arabic al-bunduq, Œhazel nut¹

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:10:43 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 12:57*am, sf > wrote:
>

> > Oh yeah, YUMMY! *Haven't made albondigas since last winter. *I'm
> > putting that on the list of things to make for dinner next week.
> > Thanks for the kick in the pants. *LOL
> >
> > No mint for me, cilantro all the way and zucchini instead of peas. *

> The albondigas I served was taught to me by my friend and employee
> Mona. I put her recipe on the web site because it's so good. She
> uses cilantro and zucchini as well.
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/lun...nas-albondigas

Meatballs are the big deal in Albondigas soup and it's important to
have rice in them (in correct proportions). May I suggest that you
add a hyperlink to a porcupine meatball recipe for those people who
are willing to make their own?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 14/11/2010 18:19, Dan Abel ha scritto:

>> So the rice in uncooked when you mix it in, and gets cooked in the
>> meatball simmering in the soup? It sounds interesting.
>> Where is this recipe from? The name sounds spanich, is it from Mexico?

> From my dictionary:
>
> albondigas
>
> plural noun
>
> small meatballs, prepared in the Mexican, Spanish, or South American way.
>
> ORIGIN Spanish, from Arabic al-bunduq, Œhazel nut¹

After almost 8 centuries of arabic reign, I'm not surprised at all that
this spanish name has arab origins. Ah, la Reconquista
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Caschi come il cacio sui maccheroni, cerchiamo giusto gente come te.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 14/11/2010 17:10, ImStillMags ha scritto:

> The albondigas I served was taught to me by my friend and employee
> Mona. I put her recipe on the web site because it's so good. She
> uses cilantro and zucchini as well.

Tell her to stay far from Veneto! Down there, the word Mona has a very
specific meaning she would be amazed to know
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 14, 11:50*am, ViLco > wrote:
> Il 14/11/2010 17:10, ImStillMags ha scritto:
>
> > The albondigas I served was taught to me by my friend and employee
> > Mona. *I put her recipe on the web site because it's so good. *She
> > uses cilantro and zucchini as well.

> Tell her to stay far from Veneto! Down there, the word Mona has a very
> specific meaning she would be amazed to know
> --
> * *Vilco
> And the Family Stone
> Ovviamente so benissimo...

Her full name is Ramona. Mona was the shortened version.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 14/11/2010 21:12, ImStillMags ha scritto:

>> Tell her to stay far from Veneto! Down there, the word Mona has a very
>> specific meaning she would be amazed to know

> Her full name is Ramona. Mona was the shortened version.

LOL, she should be safe then
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Albondigas Soup koko General Cooking 1 22-05-2016 07:53 AM
Albóndigas Soup Rolly Mexican Cooking 1 27-02-2009 10:54 PM
REC: Albondigas Soup koko General Cooking 12 20-10-2007 05:59 AM
Albondigas Soup Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 16-06-2006 05:03 AM