Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default red beans and rice

Did I beat ya to it, nb?

http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg

Pretty dissimilar to red beans and rice that I usually make...
I include a much larger fraction of celery/onion/bell pepper
and more liquid.

However, it looks pretty good.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf sf is offline

On Nov 12, 9:56*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> sf > wrote:
> >http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg

> Pretty dissimilar to red beans and rice that I usually make...
> I include a much larger fraction of celery/onion/bell pepper
> and more liquid.
>
> However, it looks pretty good.
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve. I didn't have any celery or bell pepper, so I didn't
use them. However, I used plenty of onion. I've been trying to
figure out what the finished product is supposed to look like.
Recipes seem to vary with the cook. I found a blog where it showed
"real" red beans & rice and the beans were the way *I* like them with
rice... totally disintegrated - one thick mess of bean "gravy". I
would have liked more *thick* liquid too, however this stuff was on
the stove for 4-5 hours and that was as mushy as they got. They were
technically cooked and we were hungry, so we ate.

IMO, red beans and rice is okay... but I like other beans better with
rice. Not sure if I'll do it again.

Thanks for the feedback!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 12:13*am, sf > wrote:
> On Nov 12, 9:56*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> > sf > wrote:
> > >http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg

> > Pretty dissimilar to red beans and rice that I usually make...
> > I include a much larger fraction of celery/onion/bell pepper
> > and more liquid.

> > However, it looks pretty good.

> > Steve

> Thanks Steve. *I didn't have any celery or bell pepper, so I didn't
> use them. *However, I used plenty of onion. *I've been trying to
> figure out what the finished product is supposed to look like.
> Recipes seem to vary with the cook. *I found a blog where it showed
> "real" red beans & rice and the beans were the way *I* like them with
> rice... totally disintegrated - one thick mess of bean "gravy". *I
> would have liked more *thick* liquid too, however this stuff was on
> the stove for 4-5 hours and that was as mushy as they got. *They were
> technically cooked and we were hungry, so we ate.
>
> IMO, red beans and rice is okay... but I like other beans better with
> rice. *Not sure if I'll do it again.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, the beans are supposed to be nice and soft with great 'gravy.'
To get that 'gravy' take out about a 1/2 or so of the beans and mash
them against the side of the pot and add them back and stir. It
doesn't look like you have much liquid and if you ever get to eat red
beans and rice prepared by someone else you'll be quite surprised at
how goooooood they are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:22:54 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

> On Nov 13, 12:13*am, sf > wrote:

> > > Pretty dissimilar to red beans and rice that I usually make...
> > > I include a much larger fraction of celery/onion/bell pepper
> > > and more liquid.

> > > However, it looks pretty good.

> > > Steve

> > Thanks Steve. *I didn't have any celery or bell pepper, so I didn't
> > use them. *However, I used plenty of onion. *I've been trying to
> > figure out what the finished product is supposed to look like.
> > Recipes seem to vary with the cook. *I found a blog where it showed
> > "real" red beans & rice and the beans were the way *I* like them with
> > rice... totally disintegrated - one thick mess of bean "gravy". *I
> > would have liked more *thick* liquid too, however this stuff was on
> > the stove for 4-5 hours and that was as mushy as they got. *They were
> > technically cooked and we were hungry, so we ate.
> >
> > IMO, red beans and rice is okay... but I like other beans better with
> > rice. *Not sure if I'll do it again.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback!

> Yes, the beans are supposed to be nice and soft with great 'gravy.'
> To get that 'gravy' take out about a 1/2 or so of the beans and mash
> them against the side of the pot and add them back and stir. It
> doesn't look like you have much liquid

I allowed that to happen because it wasn't thick enough yet. After I
fed us, I added a little more liquid and let it cook more. Not sure
how long it cooked... 30-60 minutes, but the next time I looked at it,
it was almost perfect - lots of thick gravy, with whole beans. I
wouldn't have complained if it had been that way when we wanted to
eat!

> and if you ever get to eat red
> beans and rice prepared by someone else you'll be quite surprised at
> how goooooood they are.

If I ever do, I hope to be pleasantly surprised! We'll tour the South
one of these days, so I'm sure I'll be presented with lots of
opportunities to order at in a restaurant in the future.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:49:59 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> 1 pound dry small red beans (I usually use pinquitos)

I didn't like the flavor of those "small red beans". They were too
much like kidney beans for me, so thanks for the suggestion. I'm not
familiar with pinquitos other than seeing the word in print. Haven't
noticed them on a shelf, but I'll keep an eye out for them. Are they
easily found, like pintos, or are they like mayakoba where only one
small discount chain carries them (at least around here)? I finally
found those in a gigantic bag at Smart & Final - but didn't buy them
because it was enough to last the rest of my life.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news

> Did I beat ya to it, nb?
>
> http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

brown unsmoked anduoille (I know, it's spelled wrong) sausage in
butter...remove from pan and brown the trinity in the leavings.....add this
to the red beans and rice as well as the sausage and have an all-in-one
meal.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:32:40 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > Did I beat ya to it, nb?
> >
> > http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg
> >

> brown unsmoked anduoille (I know, it's spelled wrong) sausage in
> butter...remove from pan and brown the trinity in the leavings.....add this
> to the red beans and rice as well as the sausage and have an all-in-one
> meal.

I put andouille in the beans, but didn't brown it on purpose - mainly
because no recipe I found said to do that. I even discussed (with
hubby) how I wouldn't brown the sausage prior to cooking, so it wasn't
an accident. Is browning the sausage one of those unwritten rules of
red beans and rice? Not browning it went against my better
judgment... but I live in California and we like everything to have a
tan, so what do I know?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 13, 8:41*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:32:40 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
>

> > wrote:
>
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> >news

> > > Did I beat ya to it, nb?

> > >http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg

> > brown unsmoked anduoille (I know, it's spelled wrong) sausage in
> > butter...remove from pan and brown the trinity in the leavings.....add this
> > to the red beans and rice as well as the sausage and have an all-in-one
> > meal.

> I put andouille in the beans, but didn't brown it on purpose - mainly
> because no recipe I found said to do that. *I even discussed (with
> hubby) how I wouldn't brown the sausage prior to cooking, so it wasn't
> an accident. *Is browning the sausage one of those unwritten rules of
> red beans and rice? * *Not browning it went against my better
> judgment... but I live in California and we like everything to have a
> tan, so what do I know?
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Here's my recipe. I don't brown the andouille either.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/lun...d-beans-a-rice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-11-13, sf > wrote:

> Did I beat ya to it, nb?
>
> http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg

To the pic? I'd hafta say yes.

Is that a dish you made? If so, I will say it looks great. I've yet
to pull off that dish to my satisfaction. You gotta a recipe? You
know I respect your opinion, yer carrot cake being right up there with
illegal drugs.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-11-13, Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder

> hot sauce (we use Frank's Chili Lime and at least a couple tablespoons)

> Hot pepper vinegar

Basically, love yer recipe, all except for the chipotle! Not only
does chipotle not belong in cajun cuisine, but I pretty much despise
it. Otherwise, a keeper.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:45:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-11-13, Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:
>
> > 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder

> > hot sauce (we use Frank's Chili Lime and at least a couple tablespoons)

> > Hot pepper vinegar

> Basically, love yer recipe, all except for the chipotle! Not only
> does chipotle not belong in cajun cuisine, but I pretty much despise
> it. Otherwise, a keeper.

Not that I think chipotle is hot, but it's probably there for what
little heat it has and mostly the smoke. From what I've read tasso is
pretty heavily smoked, so maybe chipotle is another way to get that
smoky flavor into the beans without resorting to liquid smoke.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-11-13, sf > wrote:

> Not that I think chipotle is hot, but it's probably there for what
> little heat it has and mostly the smoke. From what I've read tasso is
> pretty heavily smoked, so maybe chipotle is another way to get that
> smoky flavor into the beans without resorting to liquid smoke.

I have nothing against smoked flavor. I like tasso. I like many
smoked items. It's jes that I don't like Mexican smoked jalapenos
.....chipotle! Jes a personal thing. I'm very slowly acquiring a
taste for chipotle, Tabasco's version being acceptable. But, for the
most part, I consider chipotle anything one step below ashtray fond!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Nov 12, 9:56*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> Pretty dissimilar to red beans and rice that I usually make...
>> I include a much larger fraction of celery/onion/bell pepper
>> and more liquid.

>> However, it looks pretty good.

>Thanks Steve. I didn't have any celery or bell pepper, so I didn't
>use them. However, I used plenty of onion. I've been trying to
>figure out what the finished product is supposed to look like.

Well, in my thinking for it to be distinctively "red beans and rice"
it needs the trilogy of celery/onion/bell pepper, but obvsioulsy
one can make a great-tasting bean dish without this.

It does look like you got hold of actual "small red beans".

As far as the liquid fraction goes, I have not uses a bean-mashing
approach. I just use vegetable stock, and thicken it with a little
file'. (Almost always I cook then fully drain beans, before making
bean stews of any sort, including this one.)

>Recipes seem to vary with the cook. I found a blog where it showed
>"real" red beans & rice and the beans were the way *I* like them with
>rice... totally disintegrated - one thick mess of bean "gravy". I
>would have liked more *thick* liquid too, however this stuff was on
>the stove for 4-5 hours and that was as mushy as they got. They were
>technically cooked and we were hungry, so we ate.

Perhaps something in the broth arrested the beans from cooking more.
They look quite intact. Many ingredients will stop beans from cooking.

>IMO, red beans and rice is okay... but I like other beans better with
>rice. Not sure if I'll do it again.

I'd recommend giving it another shot with the full "trilogy", because
I do think there is something subtle going on with the flavors
of those particular vegetable ingredients and that of the small red beans
that works really well. Opinions will vary on this, but the combination
of those four ingredients (small red bean, celery, onion, bell pepper)
is a constant across many recipes.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 09:14:06 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> Here's my recipe. I don't brown the andouille either.
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/lun...d-beans-a-rice

Thanks, I generally have a ham hock in the freezer.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:31:14 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-11-13, sf > wrote:
> >
> > Did I beat ya to it, nb?
> >
> > http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg

> To the pic? I'd hafta say yes.
>
> Is that a dish you made? If so, I will say it looks great. I've yet
> to pull off that dish to my satisfaction. You gotta a recipe? You
> know I respect your opinion, yer carrot cake being right up there with
> illegal drugs.

I didn't print out that recipe, nb... so I'm not sure where it came
from. It was pretty elaborate for what's supposed to be a simple
meal. I'm looking at the hizzhonor recipe for next time, although
with the exception of bell pepper and andouille it's pretty much the
way I cook all my other beans - but hey, *I* like my beans! LOL

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:12:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-11-13, sf > wrote:
>
> > Not that I think chipotle is hot, but it's probably there for what
> > little heat it has and mostly the smoke. From what I've read tasso is
> > pretty heavily smoked, so maybe chipotle is another way to get that
> > smoky flavor into the beans without resorting to liquid smoke.

> I have nothing against smoked flavor. I like tasso. I like many
> smoked items. It's jes that I don't like Mexican smoked jalapenos
> ....chipotle! Jes a personal thing. I'm very slowly acquiring a
> taste for chipotle, Tabasco's version being acceptable. But, for the
> most part, I consider chipotle anything one step below ashtray fond!

Never tasted tasso, wouldn't even know where to find it, but I can't
say that I disagree with you about chipotle. I think the smoke of
chipotle has overpowered every food I've tasted it in (no matter if
I've made the food or a restaurant has) and the aura escapes me too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:20:40 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> >On Nov 12, 9:56*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

> >> Pretty dissimilar to red beans and rice that I usually make...
> >> I include a much larger fraction of celery/onion/bell pepper
> >> and more liquid.

> >> However, it looks pretty good.

> >Thanks Steve. I didn't have any celery or bell pepper, so I didn't
> >use them. However, I used plenty of onion. I've been trying to
> >figure out what the finished product is supposed to look like.

> Well, in my thinking for it to be distinctively "red beans and rice"
> it needs the trilogy of celery/onion/bell pepper, but obvsioulsy
> one can make a great-tasting bean dish without this.

My criteria is the beans. They *must* be red.

> It does look like you got hold of actual "small red beans".

That's what the bag said.

> As far as the liquid fraction goes, I have not uses a bean-mashing
> approach. I just use vegetable stock, and thicken it with a little
> file'. (Almost always I cook then fully drain beans, before making
> bean stews of any sort, including this one.)

I don't think I saw a single recipe that called for filé. I have it
on hand, so that's not something I need to pick up at the store.

> >Recipes seem to vary with the cook. I found a blog where it showed
> >"real" red beans & rice and the beans were the way *I* like them with
> >rice... totally disintegrated - one thick mess of bean "gravy". I
> >would have liked more *thick* liquid too, however this stuff was on
> >the stove for 4-5 hours and that was as mushy as they got. They were
> >technically cooked and we were hungry, so we ate.

> Perhaps something in the broth arrested the beans from cooking more.
> They look quite intact. Many ingredients will stop beans from cooking.

No idea, it was Swanson's chicken broth. I added water to it after
dinner and kept cooking the remainder. An extra 30-60 minutes
produced the kind of sauce I wanted.

> >IMO, red beans and rice is okay... but I like other beans better with
> >rice. Not sure if I'll do it again.

> I'd recommend giving it another shot with the full "trilogy", because
> I do think there is something subtle going on with the flavors
> of those particular vegetable ingredients and that of the small red beans
> that works really well. Opinions will vary on this, but the combination
> of those four ingredients (small red bean, celery, onion, bell pepper)
> is a constant across many recipes.

Many, but not all. I'll give it a shot sometime when I have all three
on hand. I (almost) never use celery and the days of buying a stalk
or two are gone, so it may be a long time - or maybe not. Christmas
is coming and I like to stuff celery with a mixture of cream cheese,
dried cranberry and walnuts, so I'll have it on hand in December.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:56:23 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>sf > wrote:

http://oi51.tinypic.com/25he1d4.jpg

>Pretty dissimilar to red beans and rice that I usually make...
>I include a much larger fraction of celery/onion/bell pepper
>and more liquid.
>
>However, it looks pretty good.
>
>Steve

I agree about the ingredients. I went to Tulane and practically
existed on RBR, made with andouille. (I was NOT rich).

I worked on RBR for over 10 years before I discovered that the taste I
was missing was minced celery. Steve calls for the trinity, and I
can't fault that. But try a bit of minced celery with it.

Also, this was a Washing-day (Monday) dish, as one could use the
leftover Sunday ham and let it cook all day while the women were
washing the clothes.

Ergo: It must taste of ham, or something similar. I use tasso and/or
picklemeat (a Cajun thing). Maybe w/some andouille. PLus Goya's ham
flavoring.

I will not vote on whether this is Cajun or Creole. Typically, Creole
cooking was much more elegant than Cajun, so, if I HAD to vote, I'd go
with cajun.

ALso, the beans must be slightly overcooked, and some of them smashed
into a paste to make the dish more creamy, with either water or broth
to add liquid.

Serving over rice is OK. Up the the cook whether the sausage is diced
or cut into rounds or served as links on the platter.

Pass the hot sauce!

Alex

For mo see: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/basics/

If you are fortunate enough to own a copy of the Times-Picayune 100th
anniv. eddition of their food page, you will find this dish given
rather short shrift. Creole cooking was excellent and remains so to
this day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:20:40 +0000 (UTC),

>(Steve Pope) wrote:

>> Well, in my thinking for it to be distinctively "red beans and rice"
>> it needs the trilogy of celery/onion/bell pepper, but obvsioulsy
>> one can make a great-tasting bean dish without this.

>My criteria is the beans. They *must* be red.

>> It does look like you got hold of actual "small red beans".

>That's what the bag said.

>> As far as the liquid fraction goes, I have not uses a bean-mashing
>> approach. I just use vegetable stock, and thicken it with a little
>> file'. (Almost always I cook then fully drain beans, before making
>> bean stews of any sort, including this one.)

>I don't think I saw a single recipe that called for filé. I

That's right, I have not seen this in a recipe either. But it
makes perfect sense to me. I add a little to the beans, and
then sprinkle more on top when serving. So far, no complaints.

>> Perhaps something in the broth arrested the beans from cooking more.
>> They look quite intact. Many ingredients will stop beans from cooking.

>No idea, it was Swanson's chicken broth. I added water to it after
>dinner and kept cooking the remainder. An extra 30-60 minutes
>produced the kind of sauce I wanted.

I've never used chicken broth.

>> I'd recommend giving it another shot with the full "trilogy", because
>> I do think there is something subtle going on with the flavors
>> of those particular vegetable ingredients and that of the small red beans
>> that works really well. Opinions will vary on this, but the combination
>> of those four ingredients (small red bean, celery, onion, bell pepper)
>> is a constant across many recipes.

>Many, but not all. I'll give it a shot sometime when I have all three
>on hand. I (almost) never use celery and the days of buying a stalk
>or two are gone, so it may be a long time - or maybe not.

You may want to try some locally grown celery... it can be far
more flavorful than the supermarket stuff.

We have had dinner guests say, "Wow! This is amazing celery!".

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-11-14, sf > wrote:

> It gives good flavor to beans, and doesn't scream chicken. I would
> have used vegetable broth if I had any but I just had chicken, so I
> used what I had.

Yep.

Good chkn stock can never hurt. I've got several portions in the
freezer. I see a bean dish in my futere.

nb ...on chat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> sf > wrote:

>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:49:59 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits

>> > 1 pound dry small red beans (I usually use pinquitos)

>> I didn't like the flavor of those "small red beans". They were too
>> much like kidney beans for me, so thanks for the suggestion.

>I order mine in bulk once or twice a year. I plan on growing some
>next year. I wouldn't use cranberry beans for this. We just cooked
>some rio zappe beans that were really good and would provide the color.
>Here is a list of red beans that might work, but I don't know how easily
>found they a Hidatsa red, ed peanut, Jesse Fisk, Good Mother
>Stallard, red valentine, Low's champion, amethyst, pink pearl. I don't
>particularly care for kidney beans myself, but can live with the small
>red beans. Pintos would probably work, but they are the wrong color. I
>really do prefer the pinquitos, so if you can find them, I'd give them a
>shot.

I love pinquito beans, but I use them in different preparations than I
would use small reds in. They are the best (possibly the only) bean
that I like to use in enchiladas.

That I have access to, they are much more expensive than small reds
also.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:24:43 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:

> > > Basically, love yer recipe, all except for the chipotle! Not only
> > > does chipotle not belong in cajun cuisine, but I pretty much despise
> > > it. Otherwise, a keeper.
> > >

> > Not that I think chipotle is hot, but it's probably there for what
> > little heat it has and mostly the smoke. From what I've read tasso is
> > pretty heavily smoked, so maybe chipotle is another way to get that
> > smoky flavor into the beans without resorting to liquid smoke.

> It's in there because we like it. I made no claim to authenticity,
> only that it was the recipe I used that we liked. :-)

NP: I assumed you liked it.

I've never used chipotle powder, just canned. Haven't ever seen
powder, in fact. Don't know which kind of chipotle used in
restaurants is, but it's as strong as the canned is. Maybe the
smokiness in powder isn't as strong as in the canned version. I
dunno.

Question: Do you have a choice? Can you buy tasso? I assumed that
you used chipotle as a tasso substitute.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:30:18 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:49:59 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > 1 pound dry small red beans (I usually use pinquitos)

> > I didn't like the flavor of those "small red beans". They were too
> > much like kidney beans for me, so thanks for the suggestion.

> I order mine in bulk once or twice a year. I plan on growing some
> next year. I wouldn't use cranberry beans for this. We just cooked
> some rio zappe beans that were really good and would provide the color.
> Here is a list of red beans that might work, but I don't know how easily
> found they a Hidatsa red, ed peanut, Jesse Fisk, Good Mother
> Stallard, red valentine, Low's champion, amethyst, pink pearl. I don't
> particularly care for kidney beans myself, but can live with the small
> red beans. Pintos would probably work, but they are the wrong color. I
> really do prefer the pinquitos, so if you can find them, I'd give them a
> shot.

Holy cow, Ranee! You are the queen of beans I've never heard of!!!
Thanks for confirming that pinquito isn't a common shelf item and I
agree that pinto is the *wrong* color for *red* beans and rice. LOL

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 07:19:39 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> I love pinquito beans

Where do you buy your pinquitos, Steve?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 04:03:25 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> My _personal_ preference for beans is ham stock, but I'm flexible! <g>

I understand, but I never have that on hand and if I ever had any it
would just go down the drain because I have no place to store it.
That's why I use a hock with beans.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:

>> it needs the trilogy of celery/onion/bell pepper,

><snip>
>> I'd recommend giving it another shot with the full "trilogy"

> <more snipe>
>
> Actually, it's trinity, not trilogy.

"l, not -l" is right; it's "n, not l".

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:12:37 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2010-11-13, sf > wrote:
>
>> Not that I think chipotle is hot, but it's probably there for what
>> little heat it has and mostly the smoke. From what I've read tasso is
>> pretty heavily smoked, so maybe chipotle is another way to get that
>> smoky flavor into the beans without resorting to liquid smoke.

> I have nothing against smoked flavor. I like tasso. I like many
> smoked items. It's jes that I don't like Mexican smoked jalapenos
> ....chipotle! Jes a personal thing. I'm very slowly acquiring a
> taste for chipotle, Tabasco's version being acceptable. But, for the
> most part, I consider chipotle anything one step below ashtray fond!
>
> nb

chipotle powder is great in a bloody mary, but i suppose the chipotle
tabasco would be as well. (i use both the powder and the standard
tabasco.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 00:03:25 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:24:43 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:

>>> Not that I think chipotle is hot, but it's probably there for what
>>> little heat it has and mostly the smoke. From what I've read tasso is
>>> pretty heavily smoked, so maybe chipotle is another way to get that
>>> smoky flavor into the beans without resorting to liquid smoke.

>> It's in there because we like it. I made no claim to authenticity,
>> only that it was the recipe I used that we liked. :-)
>>

> NP: I assumed you liked it.
>
> I've never used chipotle powder, just canned. Haven't ever seen
> powder, in fact. Don't know which kind of chipotle used in
> restaurants is, but it's as strong as the canned is. Maybe the
> smokiness in powder isn't as strong as in the canned version. I
> dunno.

penzeys has the powder if you'd care to try it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 07:28:52 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 04:03:25 -0600, Omelet >
>wrote:
>
>> My _personal_ preference for beans is ham stock, but I'm flexible! <g>

>I understand, but I never have that on hand and if I ever had any it
>would just go down the drain because I have no place to store it.
>That's why I use a hock with beans.

Hock works fine, if you have good smoked hocks. Just got back from E.
Texas and brought back a few bunches of collards and smoked hocks. Not
available (the hocks) where I am.

BUT! Go the the international/hispanic (whichever) aisle in your
supermarket and look at the Goya seasonings. The one labeled Jamon is
a ham essence and works quite well and doesn't have the salt of the
ham essence pastes you can buy. It's a staple in my kitchen. Use *not*
in place of, but *in addition to* your hocks.

HTH

Alex, making some sally lunn and buttermilk bread, and a mess of
greens. Szekely gulyas later today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:29:01 -0600, Chemiker
> wrote:

> BUT! Go the the international/hispanic (whichever) aisle in your
> supermarket and look at the Goya seasonings. The one labeled Jamon is
> a ham essence and works quite well and doesn't have the salt of the
> ham essence pastes you can buy. It's a staple in my kitchen. Use *not*
> in place of, but *in addition to* your hocks.

I'll see if we have it out here. I've never paid attention to
anything like that thinking it would be salty. Thanks for noting
there is no salt.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p > wrote:

> I've heard celery/onion/bell pepper called the trinity
> in Cajun/Creole cooking, but I've also seen the combination of
> celery/onion/carrot as a base in other cuisine. Does it have
> a specific name also?

"Mirepoix", "matignon", or "soffritto". The first two are French, the
third is Italian (and not to be confused with the Spanish/Hispanic
"sofrito").

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 14-Nov-2010, "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> I've heard celery/onion/bell pepper called the trinity
>> in Cajun/Creole cooking, but I've also seen the combination of
>> celery/onion/carrot as a base in other cuisine. Does it have
>> a specific name also?
>>
>> gloria p

> Mirapoix (meer-uh-pwa) is as you describe; diced celery, onion and carrot.

Of course. I had a brain lapse. And even when I first saw
the word, I thought "Wait, poix = peas, no?"

Damn, getting older isn't for sissies.

gloria p