Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pasta alla "carbonara"

Hi all

A question:

How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
where are you from)?

Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).

Do you aggregate more ingredients?

Ty
--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2010 9:36 AM, as wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A question:
>
> How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
> where are you from)?
>
> Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
> cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).
>
> Do you aggregate more ingredients?
>
> Ty

I sautee garlic and onion in a good bit of olive oil and butter. Toss
in cooked, crumbled bacon, a good bit of ground pepper, a touch of salt
and the pasta. Then I mix a metric ass-ton of parmesan cheese and an
egg yolk, toss, and serve immediately.

--
Currently reading: Star Trek TOS #2 The Entropy Effect by vonda macintyre
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2010 11:47 AM, ravenlynne wrote:
> On 10/20/2010 9:36 AM, as wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> A question:
>>
>> How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
>> where are you from)?
>>
>> Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
>> cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).
>>
>> Do you aggregate more ingredients?
>>
>> Ty

> I sautee garlic and onion in a good bit of olive oil and butter. Toss in
> cooked, crumbled bacon, a good bit of ground pepper, a touch of salt and
> the pasta. Then I mix a metric ass-ton of parmesan cheese and an egg
> yolk, toss, and serve immediately.

Jumping off my own post, I'm from New Orleans in the US but lived in
Napoli january 2007 - January 2010.

--
Currently reading: Star Trek TOS #2 The Entropy Effect by vonda macintyre
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/10/2010 11:47 AM, ravenlynne wrote:

> I sautee garlic and onion in a good bit of olive oil and butter. Toss in
> cooked, crumbled bacon, a good bit of ground pepper, a touch of salt and
> the pasta. Then I mix a metric ass-ton of parmesan cheese and an egg
> yolk, toss, and serve immediately.

I cook the bacon slowly to render the fat, sautee the onion and garlic,
boil the pasta, add a beaten egg to the hot pasta along with the onion,
garlic and bacon, top with fresh grated cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 20/10/2010 17.53, Dave Smith ha scritto:
> On 20/10/2010 11:47 AM, ravenlynne wrote:

Ty @both for the feedback.
Where are you from Dave, if I may ask? USA or ..?

--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:36:36 +0200, as >
wrote:

>Hi all
>
>A question:
>
>How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
>where are you from)?
>
>Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
>cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).
>
>Do you aggregate more ingredients?
>
>Ty

California here... I use the whole egg and parmesan or pecorino - plus
a little chopped parsley just for color. No extra ingredients, like
meat or seafood when I make it.

BTW: welcome to rfc. Do you know one of our Italian rfc friends or
did you find us all by yourself? Your English has seemed to be
American style so far, did you go to school in the States?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 20/10/2010 18.20, sf ha scritto:

> California here... I use the whole egg and parmesan or pecorino - plus
> a little chopped parsley just for color. No extra ingredients, like
> meat or seafood when I make it.

Ty to you too.

> BTW: welcome to rfc. Do you know one of our Italian rfc friends or
> did you find us all by yourself? Your English has seemed to be
> American style so far, did you go to school in the States?

No I have just changed newsserver last week and discovered rfc, just the
day after, one of italian's guests of rfc told me about it.

My english is really bad anyway, and I don't know why it is USA style,
if not becouse my wife lived there for 13 years, and I started to talk
with her in english (I think american english) for the first 2 years of
our wedding (now turned in spanish as she comes from Peru).

--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/10/2010 12:09 PM, as wrote:
> Il 20/10/2010 17.53, Dave Smith ha scritto:
>> On 20/10/2010 11:47 AM, ravenlynne wrote:

> Ty @both for the feedback.
> Where are you from Dave, if I may ask? USA or ..?

Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:39:31 +0200, as >
wrote:

> Il 20/10/2010 18.20, sf ha scritto:
>
> > California here... I use the whole egg and parmesan or pecorino - plus
> > a little chopped parsley just for color. No extra ingredients, like
> > meat or seafood when I make it.

> Ty to you too.

Making carbonara is so simple that I forgot the minute (small) details
of a little bacon or pancetta for flavor and a little garlic too.
Sorry 'bout dat.

> > BTW: welcome to rfc. Do you know one of our Italian rfc friends or
> > did you find us all by yourself? Your English has seemed to be
> > American style so far, did you go to school in the States?

> No I have just changed newsserver last week and discovered rfc, just the
> day after, one of italian's guests of rfc told me about it.
>
> My english is really bad anyway, and I don't know why it is USA style,
> if not becouse my wife lived there for 13 years, and I started to talk
> with her in english (I think american english) for the first 2 years of
> our wedding

OK, now I see your "accent" but you did very well!

> (now turned in spanish as she comes from Peru).

Those ladies from Peru, LOL! We have friends who are (he) Danish and
(she) Peruvian. They had English as their common language when they
met. They lived in Denmark for 30+ years and retired to Spain last
year... so now they're speaking more Spanish than Danish.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:j3tub61lkv0basrc210ga01rn2242drbu0@
4ax.com:

> They lived in Denmark for 30+ years and retired to Spain last
> year... so now they're speaking more Spanish than Danish.

The Costa del Sol has a regular influx of Danes every winter. But then
again, Denmark is a few hours' flight from anywhere in Spain.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 9:36*am, as > wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A question:
>
> How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
> where are you from)?
>
> Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
> cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).
>
> Do you aggregate more ingredients?
>
> Ty
> --
> ale
>
> Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
> ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
> A suo buon gusto.

I saute cubed bacon or pancetta (depending on what I have on hand),
then saute onions in the drippings. I mix some half and half to
beaten eggs and mix that with the hot pasta to coat, then toss with
parmesan. Top with the bacon/pancetta and onions and serve.

I'm in Michigan.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, as >
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A question:
>
> How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
> where are you from)?
>
> Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
> cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).
>
> Do you aggregate more ingredients?

Eggs (usually 3), bacon (which in the US generally has a "smoky" flavor
that we prefer to pancetta for this dish), good Parmesan, black pepper.

Cut bacon into small pieces and cook slowly until crispy. Leave in pan
with fat. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs and mix with a good handful of
grated Parmesan and a lot of black pepper.

When pasta is done, drain and dump into pan with bacon; toss to mix.
when the pasta has cooled a bit (to prevent curdling the eggs), dump in
the egg mixture and toss to mix. Serve immediately.

Isaac (in California)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:

> In article , as wrote:
>

> >Hi all
> >
> >A question:
> >
> >How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
> >where are you from)?
> >
> >Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
> >cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).
> >
> >Do you aggregate more ingredients?

> Eggs (usually 3), bacon (which in the US generally has a "smoky" flavor
> that we prefer to pancetta for this dish), good Parmesan, black pepper.
>
> Cut bacon into small pieces and cook slowly until crispy. Leave in pan
> with fat. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs and mix with a good handful of
> grated Parmesan and a lot of black pepper.
>
> When pasta is done, drain and dump into pan with bacon; toss to mix.
> when the pasta has cooled a bit (to prevent curdling the eggs), dump in
> the egg mixture and toss to mix. Serve immediately.
>
> Isaac (in California)

I was with you up until the pasta cooled bit.

I drain the pasta and immidetlypour the bacon and eggs over the hot
pasta and toss.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:11:03 -0700, JL > wrote:

> I was with you up until the pasta cooled bit.

Agreed. I like the pasta to "cook" the egg... it doesn't
curdle/scramble by any stretch of the imagination, but it does thicken
noticeably and cheese makes it even thicker.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:55:35 -0400, ravenlynne >
wrote:

> It's an ambiguous amount, to be sure...lol.

Kind of like mezzo-mezzo only more of it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/10/2010 12:53 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:11:03 -0700, > wrote:
>
>> I was with you up until the pasta cooled bit.

> Agreed. I like the pasta to "cook" the egg... it doesn't
> curdle/scramble by any stretch of the imagination, but it does thicken
> noticeably and cheese makes it even thicker.

There is a restaurant in our little town that has had several
resurrections. It started off selling Dutch food but they got away from
the Dutch dishes and sold mostly bar/finger foods. Then it went under
and the new owners billed themselves as a Macedonian restaurant. It was
pretty bad. Then it became an Italian restaurant. I took me wife
there... once. She ordered pasta alla carbonnara. What she got was a
plate of spaghetti with some cooked bacon and a bunch of finely chopped
hard boiled (scrambled?) eggs over top of it. It didn't look like
carbonara the way I know it, and she said it wasn't very good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:10:31 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> She ordered pasta alla carbonnara. What she got was a
> plate of spaghetti with some cooked bacon and a bunch of finely chopped
> hard boiled (scrambled?) eggs over top of it. It didn't look like
> carbonara the way I know it, and she said it wasn't very good.

Oh, ick! Just the thought of it turned my stomach.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/10/2010 4:50 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:10:31 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> She ordered pasta alla carbonnara. What she got was a
>> plate of spaghetti with some cooked bacon and a bunch of finely chopped
>> hard boiled (scrambled?) eggs over top of it. It didn't look like
>> carbonara the way I know it, and she said it wasn't very good.

> Oh, ick! Just the thought of it turned my stomach.

Yeah. It was a major disappointment. I am not a fan of Italian
restaurants to begin with because they tend to sell different shapes of
pasta with minor variations on red sauces and charge way too much for
the mediocre stuff the sell. Since I am not a fan of tomato sauces I
had their buffalo wings, and was not at all impressed with them. Haven't
been back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
JL > wrote:

> isw wrote:
>
> > In article , as wrote:
> >

> > >Hi all
> > >
> > >A question:
> > >
> > >How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
> > >where are you from)?
> > >
> > >Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
> > >cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).
> > >
> > >Do you aggregate more ingredients?

> > Eggs (usually 3), bacon (which in the US generally has a "smoky" flavor
> > that we prefer to pancetta for this dish), good Parmesan, black pepper.
> >
> > Cut bacon into small pieces and cook slowly until crispy. Leave in pan
> > with fat. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs and mix with a good handful of
> > grated Parmesan and a lot of black pepper.
> >
> > When pasta is done, drain and dump into pan with bacon; toss to mix.
> > when the pasta has cooled a bit (to prevent curdling the eggs), dump in
> > the egg mixture and toss to mix. Serve immediately.
> >
> > Isaac (in California)

> I was with you up until the pasta cooled bit.
>
> I drain the pasta and immidetlypour the bacon and eggs over the hot
> pasta and toss.

When I tried it that way, I wound up with scrambled eggs and pasta; not
at all what the dish is supposed to be.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:
> In article >,
> JL > wrote:
>

>>isw wrote:

>>>Eggs (usually 3), bacon (which in the US generally has a "smoky" flavor
>>>that we prefer to pancetta for this dish), good Parmesan, black pepper.
>>>
>>>Cut bacon into small pieces and cook slowly until crispy. Leave in pan
>>>with fat. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs and mix with a good handful of
>>>grated Parmesan and a lot of black pepper.
>>>
>>>When pasta is done, drain and dump into pan with bacon; toss to mix.
>>>when the pasta has cooled a bit (to prevent curdling the eggs), dump in
>>>the egg mixture and toss to mix. Serve immediately.
>>>
>>>Isaac (in California)

>>I was with you up until the pasta cooled bit.
>>
>>I drain the pasta and immidetlypour the bacon and eggs over the hot
>>pasta and toss.

> When I tried it that way, I wound up with scrambled eggs and pasta; not
> at all what the dish is supposed to be.
>
> Isaac

According to whom?
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:51:07 -0700, isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> JL > wrote:
>
> > isw wrote:

> > > Eggs (usually 3), bacon (which in the US generally has a "smoky" flavor
> > > that we prefer to pancetta for this dish), good Parmesan, black pepper.
> > >
> > > Cut bacon into small pieces and cook slowly until crispy. Leave in pan
> > > with fat. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs and mix with a good handful of
> > > grated Parmesan and a lot of black pepper.
> > >
> > > When pasta is done, drain and dump into pan with bacon; toss to mix.
> > > when the pasta has cooled a bit (to prevent curdling the eggs), dump in
> > > the egg mixture and toss to mix. Serve immediately.
> > >
> > > Isaac (in California)

> > I was with you up until the pasta cooled bit.
> >
> > I drain the pasta and immidetlypour the bacon and eggs over the hot
> > pasta and toss.

> When I tried it that way, I wound up with scrambled eggs and pasta; not
> at all what the dish is supposed to be.

I beat the eggs in a huge bowl, add hot noodles to it, and then
quickly agitate everything (don't let it sit around). Add cheese,
parsley and bits of bacon or pancetta and stir. I have no idea how
anyone can overcook the eggs because hot pasta just isn't *that* hot.

Did you put the bowl with eggs on a burner to heat it up?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 22/10/2010 8.54, sf ha scritto:

> I beat the eggs in a huge bowl, add hot noodles to it, and then
> quickly agitate everything (don't let it sit around). Add cheese,
> parsley and bits of bacon or pancetta and stir. I have no idea how
> anyone can overcook the eggs because hot pasta just isn't *that* hot.

I agree with this method, just I usually mix the pecorino with the eggs
before put the pasta in it.

It comes out like a soft cream, if mixed properly and the eggs don't
overcooks.

--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:51:33 +0200, as >
wrote:

> I agree with this method, just I usually mix the pecorino with the eggs
> before put the pasta in it.

For some weird reason, I don't.... but I think "why didn't I do that"
afterward.

> It comes out like a soft cream, if mixed properly and the eggs don't
> overcooks.

Ditto. I plan to make carbonara tonight or maybe tomorrow night and
shouldn't forget, but maybe I should write "combine egg with cheese
*first* on the back of my hand "just in case".

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I beat the eggs in a huge bowl, add hot noodles to it, and then
> quickly agitate everything (don't let it sit around). Add cheese,
> parsley and bits of bacon or pancetta and stir. I have no idea how
> anyone can overcook the eggs because hot pasta just isn't *that* hot.

I like to chop the bacon up into inch long pieces, cook them with lots
of sliced garlic till the bacon is crispy and the sliced garlic
starting to brown, and then pour the bacon, garlic and fat over the
noodles with the beaten eggs, sprinkle with a good amount of grated
cheese and toss.

I make carbonara maybe once or twice a year and like to roughly chop a
can of black olives (pitted) to garnish the dish with.

A friend of mine blanches the bacon first for about 10 minutes, then
fries it up producing some what less fat, and likes to add cream and
crumbled blue cheese to the eggs. His version is good but i have a
slight preference for a simpler version.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 22/10/2010 21.59, JL ha scritto:

> A friend of mine blanches the bacon first for about 10 minutes, then
> fries it up producing some what less fat, and likes to add cream and
> crumbled blue cheese to the eggs.

That's sound interesting to me. Does him (her?) blanches the bacon
already sliced?

--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

as wrote:
> Il 22/10/2010 21.59, JL ha scritto:
>
>> A friend of mine blanches the bacon first for about 10 minutes, then
>> fries it up producing some what less fat, and likes to add cream and
>> crumbled blue cheese to the eggs.

> That's sound interesting to me. Does him (her?) blanches the bacon
> already sliced?

Hmmm...im not sure, i seem to recall him blanching the slices of bacon

as they come out of the package and then cutting them into smaller
pieces to cook them after blanching.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 20/10/2010 15.36, as ha scritto:

> A question:

I reply here to reply at all.

First of all, thanks for the feedback, it was my personal curiosity
becouse another guest in another NG (italian food coocking NG) was
telling that outside Italy (and in USA specifically) they use milk cream
but not onions or garlic.

Second, to thanks, i will describe "my way", that is the actual standard
way we made it in Italy (according that "actual standard" mean only that
every recipe will modify in the time and in the space).

Make a cream in a bowl with yolks (1 for head) and "pecorino" cheese,
and black pepper. I don't use albumen.

Cooking the pasta and, in a pan, frying the "guanciale" (pork's neck
part), until crisp.

Trowing the pasta on the cream, mixing rapidly, trowing the guanciale,
and just serve it.

Anyway, i am "studing" another method right now, that as general plan,
try to use the yolks cream "inside" the pasta.

The plan should be this:

Make a very very thin "raviolo", much more thin that usual, just with
flour and water (no eggs), and fit it with a cream obtained by whipping
the yolks with the pecorino, and some milk cream whipped too.
The cream should be added slowly and very carefully to not "de-whipped" all.

Fit the ravioli and cook them into boiling salt water, for few seconds,
just to let the pasta cook without cook the cream inside.

In a pan, (before cooking the ravioli), frying the guanciale in
julienne, rapidly and at high heat, add some zucchini's flowers cutted
in vertical tiny pieces (proceeding rapidly) and vanish some white vine
until the alcool will go.
Turn down the gaz, very low, and add a bit of "fondo bianco" of veal (I
don't know how to translate fondo bianco sorry, it is the concentrate
part of the liquid of a long cooked veal).

Cook the ravioli, keep them out, put them in the pan, mix with the
guanciale, zucchini, and salsa, a bit more pecorino to cream the outside
too, and put them in the dish. Black pepper to finish.

Well, I really apologize for my bad, bad english, if someone is
interested and I was not able to explain well, let me know, I will try
to do better.

--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

as > wrote:

[snippage throughout]

> First of all, thanks for the feedback, it was my personal curiosity
> becouse another guest in another NG (italian food coocking NG) was
> telling that outside Italy (and in USA specifically) they use milk cream
> but not onions or garlic.

I would guess that at least 90% non-Italian "carbonara" recipes use
cream.

That said, the first Accademia Italiana della Cucina recipe compilation,
published in 1982, surprisingly included a spaghetti alla carbonara
recipe with cream! The recipe may have originally been a carbonai
abruzzesi one, but is now considered to be a typical Latium recipe, of
course, and one of the contributors to that compilation was Ada Boni, a
quintessential Roman...

> Cooking the pasta and, in a pan, frying the "guanciale" (pork's neck
> part), until crisp.

Small correction: guanciale is cheek/jowl meat.

> Anyway, i am "studing" another method right now, that as general plan,
> try to use the yolks cream "inside" the pasta.
>
> The plan should be this:
>
> Make a very very thin "raviolo", much more thin that usual, just with
> flour and water (no eggs), and fit it with a cream obtained by whipping
> the yolks with the pecorino, and some milk cream whipped too.
> The cream should be added slowly and very carefully to not "de-whipped" all.
>
> Fit the ravioli and cook them into boiling salt water, for few seconds,
> just to let the pasta cook without cook the cream inside.

That is certainly a very interesting method!

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:51:07 -0700, isw > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > JL > wrote:

> > > I was with you up until the pasta cooled bit.
> > >
> > > I drain the pasta and immidetlypour the bacon and eggs over the hot
> > > pasta and toss.

> > When I tried it that way, I wound up with scrambled eggs and pasta; not
> > at all what the dish is supposed to be.
> >

> I beat the eggs in a huge bowl, add hot noodles to it, and then
> quickly agitate everything (don't let it sit around). Add cheese,
> parsley and bits of bacon or pancetta and stir. I have no idea how
> anyone can overcook the eggs because hot pasta just isn't *that* hot.

The various egg proteins "cook" over a range of temperatures starting
about 140 F, but certainly all are cooked by 170 F. Pasta right out of
the boiling water is nearly 212 F, so it can easily be hot enough to
"scramble" eggs on contact.

> Did you put the bowl with eggs on a burner to heat it up?

No. I cook the bacon in a skillet early enough so it's cooled a bit by
the time the pasta is done. The eggs and cheese are in a bowl at room
temperature. I drain the pasta, put it in the skillet, toss it around to
coat, and then dump in the eggs (all with no heat under the skillet). I
have learned that if work "too fast", the eggs do not form a smooth,
creamy sauce, but instead I wind up with little clumps of "scrambled
egg" sticking to the pasta. Not good.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:51:33 +0200, as >
> wrote:
>
> > I agree with this method, just I usually mix the pecorino with the eggs
> > before put the pasta in it.

> For some weird reason, I don't.... but I think "why didn't I do that"
> afterward.
> >
> > It comes out like a soft cream, if mixed properly and the eggs don't
> > overcooks.

> Ditto. I plan to make carbonara tonight or maybe tomorrow night and
> shouldn't forget, but maybe I should write "combine egg with cheese
> *first* on the back of my hand "just in case".

For reasons I don't understand, adding the grated cheese to the eggs
makes the eggs very easy to "beat"; that is, you just have to stir them
around a bit to get them completely mixed. I also put the black pepper
in there, too.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, JL > wrote:

> isw wrote:
> > In article >,
> > JL > wrote:

> >>I was with you up until the pasta cooled bit.
> >>
> >>I drain the pasta and immidetlypour the bacon and eggs over the hot
> >>pasta and toss.

> > When I tried it that way, I wound up with scrambled eggs and pasta; not
> > at all what the dish is supposed to be.

Just about all the "legitimate" recipes I've ever looked at. The "sauce"
is supposed to turn out very creamy, not granular with cooked egg. Some
people "finesse" the situation by adding cream, but that's not the way
"original" recipes describe the dish. Fatty cured pork (pancetta or
bacon), eggs, cheese, black pepper, pasta, and nothing else (assuming
you want to call the dish "pasta carbonara", that is).

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2010 06:36 AM, as wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A question:
>
> How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
> where are you from)?
>
> Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
> cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).
>
> Do you aggregate more ingredients?

I use American bacon, and whole eggs. I cook the spaghetti, then toss
it while still hot (and while some of the cooking water still clings to
it) with eggs, bacon, and cheese. That's it. Sometimes garlic and
pepper, but not usually. I like it simple.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: French Fridays with Dorie: Hachis Parmentier
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 23/10/2010 1.22, Victor Sack ha scritto:

> That said, the first Accademia Italiana della Cucina recipe compilation,
> published in 1982, surprisingly included a spaghetti alla carbonara
> recipe with cream! The recipe may have originally been a carbonai
> abruzzesi one, but is now considered to be a typical Latium recipe, of
> course, and one of the contributors to that compilation was Ada Boni, a
> quintessential Roman...

Yes, and as all traditionals recipes it has so many variations..

> Small correction: guanciale is cheek/jowl meat.

Thank you very much (other word added to my personal vocabolary)

>> Make a very very thin "raviolo", much more thin that usual, just with
>> flour and water (no eggs), and fit it with a cream obtained by whipping
>> the yolks with the pecorino, and some milk cream whipped too.
>> The cream should be added slowly and very carefully to not "de-whipped" all.
>>
>> Fit the ravioli and cook them into boiling salt water, for few seconds,
>> just to let the pasta cook without cook the cream inside.

> That is certainly a very interesting method!

Ty, but it is still "work in progress".

Just now i am stopped to:
How to made the pasta.
If to use a "raviolo" or a more close "baozi" (china's raviolo).
How to whip properly the cream that will fit the raviolo.

Anyone, any suggestion?

--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 22/10/2010 22.35, JL ha scritto:

> Hmmm...im not sure, i seem to recall him blanching the slices of bacon
> as they come out of the package and then cutting them into smaller
> pieces to cook them after blanching.

Ok, tks.

--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, as >
wrote:

> Il 23/10/2010 1.22, Victor Sack ha scritto:
>
> > That said, the first Accademia Italiana della Cucina recipe compilation,
> > published in 1982, surprisingly included a spaghetti alla carbonara
> > recipe with cream! The recipe may have originally been a carbonai
> > abruzzesi one, but is now considered to be a typical Latium recipe, of
> > course, and one of the contributors to that compilation was Ada Boni, a
> > quintessential Roman...

> Yes, and as all traditionals recipes it has so many variations..
>
> > Small correction: guanciale is cheek/jowl meat.

> Thank you very much (other word added to my personal vocabolary)
>
> >> Make a very very thin "raviolo", much more thin that usual, just with
> >> flour and water (no eggs), and fit it with a cream obtained by whipping
> >> the yolks with the pecorino, and some milk cream whipped too.
> >> The cream should be added slowly and very carefully to not "de-whipped"
> >> all.
> >>
> >> Fit the ravioli and cook them into boiling salt water, for few seconds,
> >> just to let the pasta cook without cook the cream inside.

> > That is certainly a very interesting method!

> Ty, but it is still "work in progress".
>
> Just now i am stopped to:
> How to made the pasta.
> If to use a "raviolo" or a more close "baozi" (china's raviolo).
> How to whip properly the cream that will fit the raviolo.
>
> Anyone, any suggestion?

Try a sous vide method to (partially) cook the egg mixture and thicken
it, so it won't run all over when you fill the raviolis.

I must say, this sounds like an absolutely delicious dish; please keep
us informed on your progress.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 24/10/2010 5.54, isw ha scritto:

> Try a sous vide method to (partially) cook the egg mixture and thicken
> it, so it won't run all over when you fill the raviolis.

Uhm... sure i need to give it some trials.

What I was thinking just today, was to whip the yolks with pecorino in a
"bain-marie", double saucepan. And after adding the milk's cream already
whipped (slowly and carefully).

The composed fill, should (should) liquify after the cook. And keeps the
nomal consistence of the yellow cream of a carbonara.
But I am not sure at all.

> I must say, this sounds like an absolutely delicious dish; please keep
> us informed on your progress.

Ty, I will.

--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, as >
wrote:

> Il 24/10/2010 5.54, isw ha scritto:
>
> > Try a sous vide method to (partially) cook the egg mixture and thicken
> > it, so it won't run all over when you fill the raviolis.

> Uhm... sure i need to give it some trials.
>
> What I was thinking just today, was to whip the yolks with pecorino in a
> "bain-marie", double saucepan. And after adding the milk's cream already
> whipped (slowly and carefully).

A sous vide preparation could make that "easy"; just get the water bath
temperature right, and the cooking time simply does not matter.

> The composed fill, should (should) liquify after the cook. And keeps the
> nomal consistence of the yellow cream of a carbonara.

For Chinese "soup dumplings", the soup (a rich stock) is chilled until
it sets, and that makes it easy for the pasta to be formed around it.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 21/10/2010 4:50 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:10:31 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> She ordered pasta alla carbonnara. What she got was a
> >> plate of spaghetti with some cooked bacon and a bunch of finely chopped
> >> hard boiled (scrambled?) eggs over top of it. It didn't look like
> >> carbonara the way I know it, and she said it wasn't very good.

> > Oh, ick! Just the thought of it turned my stomach.
> >

> Yeah. It was a major disappointment. I am not a fan of Italian
> restaurants to begin with because they tend to sell different shapes of
> pasta with minor variations on red sauces and charge way too much for
> the mediocre stuff the sell. Since I am not a fan of tomato sauces I
> had their buffalo wings, and was not at all impressed with them. Haven't
> been back.

FWIW, there used to be one near me that charged about the same for a
huge plate of whatever pasta you liked, any of several different red
sauces, and whatever meat you wanted as McDonalds charges for a Big Mac.
Trouble with it was that they gave me enough for two meals and my
circumstances were such that a doggie bag wasn't viable so I didn't eat
there as often as I would have liked. They've gone out of business
after ten years and the place that replaced them charges the same price
for a tiny plate of pasta covered with oily tomato juice.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by as[_2_] View Post
Hi all

A question:

How do you prepare (if you do) the italian's pasta "carbonara" (and
where are you from)?

Here in Italy, the base is with yolk, parmesan cheese or pecorino
cheese, and bacon (called pancetta).

Do you aggregate more ingredients?

Ty
--
ale

Perche' le ricette non sono formule, se non guide, orientamenti, che
ciascuno puo' interpretare a suo gusto.
A suo buon gusto.

I have usually used a couple more ingredients, mostly for flavor, but some for texture and consistency. This A Fabulous Carbonara Sauce Recipe is pretty similar to one i use often, but i find i am always experimenting, tweaking, etc and rarely stick to a strict recipe on anything i make. there are a few recipes on http://carbonarasaucerecipe.com and http://carbonararecipe.net that i am going to try until i get it just right. i often use bacon because it is easy to find and relatively cheap but i am curious to try the more traditional guanciale instead. hope this helps