Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Opo Squash Soup

Opo squash is something of an anomaly: Its skin is harder than the skin of a
summer squash, but not as hard as most winter squashes. Its flesh isn't as
tender as that of most summer squashes, and nowhere near as sweet as winter
squashes. Culinarily, the closest thing I can think of is very large 8-ball
squash or maybe a chayote. I haven't tried the following recipe, though I
intend to in the near future. My suspicion is that the soup would be better
if the squash's peel were removed and discarded, but I need to try it out to
be sure.

Opo Squash Soup
from _The Vietnamese Kitchen_

1 opo squash (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1 tablespoon oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken thigh or boneless pork shoulder, cut
into 1/4-inch cubes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fish sauce
6 cups water
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
5-6 sprigs cilantro, coarsely chopped

Trim off both ends of the squash and cut it in half. Quarter each half
lengthwise and remove the spongy seeded core. Cut each quarter into 1/2-inch
cubes. Set aside.

In a 3-4 quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and
cook gently, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes, or until fragrant
and soft. Add the chicken or pork and continue cooking for about 2 minutes,
or until the meat begins to color. Add the salt and fish sauce and cook for
1 minute to develop the flavors. Add the water, raise the heat to high, and
bring to a boil. Skim and discard any scum that floats to the top. Add the
squash cubes and return to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for
about 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender and no longer floats on the
surface. (The simmering time depends on the maturity of the squash; old
squash with thick skin will take longer.) If you are not serving the soup
right away, turn off the heat and cover.

Just before serving, return the soup to a simmer and add the white pepper.
Taste and add extra salt or fish sauce if necessary. Ladle into serving
bowls and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.

Hmmm.... since I haven't made the soup yet, maybe the recipe is a candidate
for inclusion on Chester's site!

Bob