Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Tarte Saint-Germain

A wonderfully creamy leek and Gruyère cheese tarte.

The step by step with photos are on my blog if you are interested.

I hope you try it, it's wonderful.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Tarte Saint-Germain

cheese/eggs, pies, vegetables

4 tablespoons sweet butter
6 leeks, trimmed, well washed; thinly sliced
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup light cream
1 cup heavy cream
Salt; to taste
freshly ground black pepper; to taste
freshly grated nutmeg; optional
1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
1 9-inch Pte Brisée-see note; partially baked
Pte Brisée
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
pinch of granulated sugar
5 1/2 tablespoons sweet butter (2/3 stick); chilled
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening; chilled
1/4 cup ice water

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add sliced leeks and cook, covered, over
low heat for about 30 minutes or until leeks are tender and lightly
colored. Stir frequently or leeks may scorch. Remove from heat and
cool slightly.
Whisk eggs, yolks, and light and heavy cream together in a bowl and
season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a grating of nutmeg, if you
like.
Preheat oven to 300°F
Spoon cooled leek mixture into partially baked tart shell. Add cream
and egg mixture to fill the tart to within 1/2 inch of the top.
Sprinkle the Gruyère evenly over the tart.
Set the tart on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 35
to 45 minutes, or until top is well browned and filling is completely
set.
Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm.

NOTE:
Use a quiche pan approximately 2 inches deep

Pte Brisée

Sift the flour, salt and sugar together into a bowl; add butter and
shortening and cut them into dry ingredients with a pastry blender or
2 knives until mixture is like coarse meal.
Sprinkle on and blend in enough of the ice water to make a workable
dough, mixing water in lightly with a fork.
Turn dough out onto your work surface using the heel of your hand,
smear the dough away from you, about 1/4 cup at a time. Scrape up the
smeared dough into a ball, wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Unwrap dough, place on floured work surface, and pound it a few times
with your rolling pin to soften it. Roll it out 1/8 inch thick or to
desired thickness.
Drape dough over quiche pan or tart pan, ease it into the pan without
stretching, pat into place, trim off excess,and crimp edge if desired.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400*F
Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and prick the bottom and sides
well with a fork. Line the pan with foil or wax paper; fill with beans
or rice to weight the crust. Bake for 10 minutes, until dough is just
beginning to color.

The Silver Palate Cookbook

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 09/19/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko > wrote in news:ffmd96599n9jufg9hn0h54cm3o9p0upug1@
4ax.com:

> A wonderfully creamy leek and Gruyère cheese tarte.
>
> The step by step with photos are on my blog if you are interested.

The pastry looked fine to me. A bit fiddly to do, but OK. You just need a
dedicated 'docker' :-)

You should try this pastry.....

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1878855.htm

easy-peasy, and the same result as your Frenchy type pastry. Flaky and tasty.

Loved the 'ghost' shot with the rolling pin too..... you could do some spooky
stuff with that feature :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:14:21 GMT, Aussie
> wrote:

>koko > wrote in news:ffmd96599n9jufg9hn0h54cm3o9p0upug1@
>4ax.com:
>

>> A wonderfully creamy leek and Gruyère cheese tarte.
>>
>> The step by step with photos are on my blog if you are interested.
>>

>The pastry looked fine to me. A bit fiddly to do, but OK. You just need a
>dedicated 'docker' :-)
>
>You should try this pastry.....
>
>http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1878855.htm
>
>easy-peasy, and the same result as your Frenchy type pastry. Flaky and tasty.

Thanks but my problem is not the recipe but my lack of handling it
properly.

>Loved the 'ghost' shot with the rolling pin too..... you could do some spooky
>stuff with that feature :-)

That was so cool. I tried to replicate it several times but to no
avail. That doesn't mean I'm giving up though.

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 09/20/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> Thanks but my problem is not the recipe but my lack of handling it
> properly.

Did you let it rest the specified 30 minutes? If not, what *do* you think
was the reason for the shrinkage?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:25:46 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>koko wrote:
>
>> Thanks but my problem is not the recipe but my lack of handling it
>> properly.

>Did you let it rest the specified 30 minutes? If not, what *do* you think
>was the reason for the shrinkage?
>
>Bob

It had more than the required resting time both times. The second
batch I didn't trim as close to pan to allow for shrinkage and it was
fine.

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 09/20/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:14:21 GMT, Aussie
> > wrote:
>
>>koko > wrote in
>>news:ffmd96599n9jufg9hn0h54cm3o9p0upug1@ 4ax.com:
>>

>>> A wonderfully creamy leek and Gruyère cheese tarte.
>>>
>>> The step by step with photos are on my blog if you are interested.
>>>

>>The pastry looked fine to me. A bit fiddly to do, but OK. You just need
>>a dedicated 'docker' :-)
>>
>>You should try this pastry.....
>>
>>http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1878855.htm
>>
>>easy-peasy, and the same result as your Frenchy type pastry. Flaky and
>>tasty.

> Thanks but my problem is not the recipe but my lack of handling it
> properly.

As another 'ham fisted' cook.... I've never really tried making pastry
after the first couple of attempts, because of the crappy results. But the
sour cream pastry works every time, no matter how ham fisted I am with it
:-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:14:21 GMT, Aussie
> wrote:

>You should try this pastry.....
>
>http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1878855.htm
>
>easy-peasy, and the same result as your Frenchy type pastry. Flaky and tasty.

I wandered over to the preserved fig recipe... looks like Aus. recipes
are where to find that stuff. If you ever see one that is even
simpler... no wine (although I do like that addition of ginger), would
you please post it here?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:14:21 GMT, Aussie
> > wrote:
>
>>You should try this pastry.....
>>
>>http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1878855.htm
>>
>>easy-peasy, and the same result as your Frenchy type pastry. Flaky and
>>tasty.
>>

> I wandered over to the preserved fig recipe... looks like Aus. recipes
> are where to find that stuff. If you ever see one that is even
> simpler... no wine (although I do like that addition of ginger), would
> you please post it here?

You could add the ginger without the Stones Green Ginger wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_wine

But here's a pretty basic preserved fig recipe......

http://www.masterchef.com.au/fig-and...mbe-alaska.htm

You could add 'extras' to that of lemon, cinnamon, cloves, cardoman etc.

Or you could try a Calabrian recipe.....

http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/.../20/287774.htm

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

TN: Bountiful Beaune (02 Germain/ChdChorey) DaleW Wine 0 19-03-2010 07:07 PM
Germain, Cazin Emery Davis Wine 11 03-03-2008 07:13 PM
Tarte Experiment Pandora General Cooking 2 26-04-2006 06:48 AM
Tarte au Citron Yellow Lemon General Cooking 1 25-12-2004 07:13 PM