Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management online

http://www.mrsbeeton.com/index.html

I am obsessed with historical cookbooks. This is a classic.

From the website:

Published in 1861, Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management was a
guide to all aspects of running a household in Victorian Britain.

Its 2751 entries include tips on how to deal with servants' pay and
children's health, and above all a wealth of cooking advice,
instructions and recipes. It was an immediate bestseller, running to
millions of copies within just a few years.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> http://www.mrsbeeton.com/index.html
>
> I am obsessed with historical cookbooks. This is a classic.
>
> From the website:
>
> Published in 1861, Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management was a
> guide to all aspects of running a household in Victorian Britain.
>
> Its 2751 entries include tips on how to deal with servants' pay and
> children's health, and above all a wealth of cooking advice,
> instructions and recipes. It was an immediate bestseller, running to
> millions of copies within just a few years.
>
> Tara

Bought a facsimile copy of the first edition for about USD7.00 a few
years ago. It is fun and have tried a few of the recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> http://www.mrsbeeton.com/index.html
>
> I am obsessed with historical cookbooks. This is a classic.
>
> From the website:
>
> Published in 1861, Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management was a
> guide to all aspects of running a household in Victorian Britain.
>
> Its 2751 entries include tips on how to deal with servants' pay and
> children's health, and above all a wealth of cooking advice,
> instructions and recipes. It was an immediate bestseller, running to
> millions of copies within just a few years.

Very interesting, expecially the recipe for anchovies butter, and a good
idea to have it on toasts while sipping wine. Another interesting thing is
the pork liver recipe: it shows that liver was widely cooked with onions, as
in Venice ("fegato alla veneziana") and Russia (liver stroganoff).
I'm sure this will be a nice reading, thanks Tara
--
Mi risulta invece che un dirigente della Rolls Royce
abbia ESCLUSO che quel rotore potesse essere

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:07:13 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Tara > wrote:
>
>> http://www.mrsbeeton.com/index.html
>>
>> I am obsessed with historical cookbooks. This is a classic.

> Have you seen The Secret Life of Mrs. Beeton?
>
> We watched it a couple years ago, it was great.

I've never heard of it. It sounds interesting. Is it on DVD?

Tara

Looking For A Small Vineyard Management Book Recommendation Charles E Winemaking 3 09-05-2007 04:37 AM
Mrs Beetons Book of Cookery and Household Management Puddy General Cooking 3 24-04-2005 09:13 AM
I am looking for a book on entremets for the household cook Kitty Baking 3 17-11-2004 03:42 PM
tea book online Mike Tea 1 09-02-2004 12:06 PM
Mrs. Beeton online Robin Carroll-Mann Historic 7 17-01-2004 03:53 AM