Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Mediterranean take for Rosh Hashana.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...wsletter-rosh-
hashanah-main,0,3578517.story

(A weird time to be having 'new years' Sept 8...... but I like the Jewish
idea of having *4* 'new years' observances :-)

The selection of elements Mediterranean Jews serve for Rosh Hashana varies
widely from community to community and family to family. Here is an
example from Fortunee Hazan-Arama, author of "Saveurs de mon Enfance: La
Cuisine Juive du Maroc" ("Flavors of My Childhood: The Jewish Cuisine of
Morocco"), who lovingly described the spread at her family home:

"Holiday plates are set on a table covered with a beautiful white
tablecloth. Placed in the center, for the blessings, are a dish full of
freshly picked apples, a small pot of honey, a small bowl of sesame seeds
or of a mixture of anis and sesame seeds and sugar, a bowl of freshly
picked green olives, a plate of fresh dates, a plate of raisins, a bowl of
preserved quinces, a bowl of jujubes (Chinese dates), a large bowl of
pomegranate seeds moistened with orange flower water, a plate with a
cooked lamb's head or a cooked fish, a plate of cooked chard; a grand
platter of the seven vegetables - chickpeas, turnips, carrots, onions,
green and red squash or pumpkin and raisins, all sprinkled with sugar and
cinnamon ... and two or three home-baked breads."

After that comes the main course.

Moroccan chicken with prunes, almonds and couscous

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
Servings: 5

Braising chicken in a sauce that combines cinnamon, nutmeg and honey with
a hint of saffron might sound surprising, but this is a delicious,
spectacular dish. Some people sprinkle the chicken with toasted sesame
seeds as well. If you'd like a touch of green, you can garnish the dish
with fresh basil.

* 3 pounds chicken pieces
* 2 yellow onions, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Freshly ground pepper
* 1 stick cinnamon
* 1 cup chicken stock, broth or water
* 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
* 1 1/3 cups pitted prunes
* 2 tablespoons honey
* Freshly grated nutmeg
* 1 package (10 ounces) plain couscous, cooked to package directions
* 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds, lightly toasted

1. Combine chicken, onions, salt and pepper in a Dutch oven. Cover; cook
over low heat, turning chicken pieces over occasionally, 5 minutes. Add
cinnamon, stock and saffron. Heat to a boil over medium heat. Cover;
simmer over low heat, turning pieces occasionally, until breast pieces are
tender when pierced with a knife, 35 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Cook
remaining chicken pieces, until tender, covered, 10 minutes. Transfer
chicken to plate.

2. Add prunes and honey to sauce; cook uncovered over medium heat until
prunes are just tender, 5 minutes. Transfer prunes to a heated bowl;
cover. Discard cinnamon stick. Cook sauce over medium heat, stirring
occasionally, to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes. Add nutmeg. Taste;
adjust seasoning. Return chicken to pan. Cover; heat over low heat 5
minutes.

3. Fluff couscous with a fork; mound it on a heated platter. Arrange
chicken around or over couscous; spoon sauce and prunes over chicken.
Garnish with almonds.

Nutrition information:
Per serving: 785 calories, 30% of calories from fat, 26 g fat, 6 g
saturated fat, 115 mg cholesterol, 88 g carbohydrates, 48 g protein, 425
mg sodium, 8 g fiber.
--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mediterranean take for Rosh Hashana.

Captain Peter Swallows wrote:

> http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...wsletter-rosh-
> hashanah-main,0,3578517.story

I've noticed this before, and thought it odd: Are *all* Australians so
preoccupied with the affairs of the USA that they even read the newspaper
from our thirteenth-largest city as well as slavishly follow US news in
every available medium? If the rest of Australia is as devoted as Swallows,
I feel rather bad, since I don't reciprocate by following Australian news to
that degree.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 15:42:19 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> I've noticed this before, and thought it odd: Are *all* Australians so
> preoccupied with the affairs of the USA that they even read the newspaper
> from our thirteenth-largest city as well as slavishly follow US news in
> every available medium?

They're fascinated by us. Remember the article that was posted about
deep fried beer was a UK source.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:37i0861rv7sscij0unegbhonprnvlv8nqf@
4ax.com:

> They're fascinated by us.

Us??? As we would say, you've got tickets on yourself.

As for ****-knuckle twitiligers 'pre-occupation' with me.... well, that's
quite evident for all to see. So it's a bit of PKB there.

> Remember the article that was posted about
> deep fried beer was a UK source.

I got my article from the Baltimore Sun. I get a weekly email from their
Food and Drink section.

I also look at the LA Times food and drink section, as well as several
others.

Unlike the 'twit' who has its head firmly stuck up its own arse and can't
see the rest of the world for shit, I like to peruse other areas recipes,
restaurants, and (to a small extent,especially in the US who still seems
to be enamoured with French wine) the drinks section.

As for the Baltimore Sun, I happen to like them. I entered one of their
competitions, and won...... and they sent the prize to me!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Captain Peter Swallows gulped down a quart of semen and then spewed:

>> They're fascinated by us.

> Us??? As we would say, you've got tickets on yourself.

By "us," sf was referring to people in the USA. I notice that you used the
term "we" in exactly the same way, you jism-gargling hypocrite.

> I got my article from the Baltimore Sun. I get a weekly email from their
> Food and Drink section.
>
> I also look at the LA Times food and drink section, as well as several
> others.

<snip stupidity>

> As for the Baltimore Sun, I happen to like them. I entered one of their
> competitions, and won...... and they sent the prize to me!!

....and yet you frequently post articles about the USA from other sources, so
it's clear that those are not the ONLY places where you seek out news about
the USA.

There's no shame in admitting that you're a huge fan of my home country, and
many places here are even more tolerant of gays than your Brisbane
neighborhood, so naturally you'd be interested in finding out about places
you can go to openly practice your homosexuality. Why not just admit it?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>> I've noticed this before, and thought it odd: Are *all* Australians so
>> preoccupied with the affairs of the USA that they even read the newspaper
>> from our thirteenth-largest city as well as slavishly follow US news in
>> every available medium?

> They're fascinated by us.

Yeah, I don't get it. I like non-US cultural stuff but current news
like politics? I follow US politics to the extent that I'm not willing
to go out of my way doing evasive maneurvers. "Evasive maneuver pattern
gamma please, Mr Sulu" is too much work for me to avoid local politics.
To avoid foreign politics I just need to not read Foreign Affaris more
than once in several years.

Deep fried beer. Um, okay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 15:44:03 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Deep fried beer. Um, okay.

I understand completely. I was underwhelmed too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default politics? Mediterranean take for Rosh Hashana.

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Yeah, I don't get it. I like non-US cultural stuff but current news
> like politics?

It's among my favorite forms of humor.

And it has the advantage over US politics that when some of the jokes
get elected or re-elected, they won't have power over me.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."

Rosh Hashana Gloria P General Cooking 1 18-09-2009 11:54 PM
Rosh Hashana Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 0 18-09-2009 11:21 PM
Rosh Hashana PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 0 18-09-2009 10:23 PM
Easy Mediterranean-style recipes - and a bit more on the Mediterranean theme... AirToob General Cooking 0 13-08-2007 01:26 PM
Couscous with Seven Vegetables- Mediterranean Rosh Hashanah Goomba38 General Cooking 0 24-09-2006 08:20 PM