Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'd never invite Mr. Bill to dinner

"Janet" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> He's a sneak:
>>

> Sounds revolting. Mayo is fine...but condensed <milk????? Makes me
> shudder.

Mayo is not fine with me. Makes me shudder. So shall we say one person's
disgusting is another's favorite?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:12:10 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> Mayo is not fine with me. Makes me shudder. So shall we say one person's
> disgusting is another's favorite?

I like hot potato salad made with vinegar and bacon grease, but the
times I make it are measured in decades. The cold, mayo (only) type
potato salad is my go to... I was raised on it and it's comfort food
for me. No, I don't do vinegar or pickle juice in my potato salad. I
don't like the commercial products, so I don't try to duplicate them.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio > "Giusi"

> wrote:
>>
>> Mayo is not fine with me. Makes me shudder. So shall we say one
>> person's >> disgusting is another's favorite?
>>

> I like hot potato salad made with vinegar and bacon grease, but the> times
> I make it are measured in decades. The cold, mayo (only) type
> potato salad is my go to...

But I was talking macaroni salad. I use mayonnaise, homemade and tart, in
my usual potato salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:12:10 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>>
>> Mayo is not fine with me. Makes me shudder. So shall we say one
>> person's
>> disgusting is another's favorite?
>>

> I like hot potato salad made with vinegar and bacon grease, but the
> times I make it are measured in decades.

snip

That's PA Dutch style.....common in these parts.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:06:29 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio > "Giusi"
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Mayo is not fine with me. Makes me shudder. So shall we say one
> >> person's >> disgusting is another's favorite?
> >>

> > I like hot potato salad made with vinegar and bacon grease, but the> times
> > I make it are measured in decades. The cold, mayo (only) type
> > potato salad is my go to...

> But I was talking macaroni salad. I use mayonnaise, homemade and tart, in
> my usual potato salad.

Ah, ok. That's another thing I rarely make.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:
> > Sounds revolting. Mayo is fine...but condensed <milk????? Makes me
> > shudder.

> Mayo is not fine with me. Makes me shudder. So shall we say one person's
> disgusting is another's favorite?

Do you not like mayonnaise in anything or just here? Do you enjoy
homemade mayo but not commercially made? Color me Curious.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:
> But I was talking macaroni salad. I use mayonnaise, homemade and tart, in
> my usual potato salad.

Whoops! Disregard my post of a few seconds ago. . . .

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:

>> > Sounds revolting. Mayo is fine...but condensed <milk????? Makes me > >
>> > shudder.

>> Mayo is not fine with me. Makes me shudder. So shall we say one
>> person's >> disgusting is another's favorite?

> Do you not like mayonnaise in anything or just here? Do you enjoy >
> homemade mayo but not commercially made? Color me Curious.

No, it's mayonnaise on pasta which seems slimy to me. I always prefer
homemade, but sometimes use Calvè, although the rest here I find dire.

Our eggs are safe here and very fresh. They have the date dye stamped on
each egg or I get them from a neighr warm from the nest. With those and a
stick blender, cannot think of one reason not diy.

You? What do you think?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > Do you not like mayonnaise in anything or just here? Do you enjoy >
> > homemade mayo but not commercially made? Color me Curious.

> No, it's mayonnaise on pasta which seems slimy to me. I always prefer
> homemade, but sometimes use Calvè, although the rest here I find dire.
>
> Our eggs are safe here and very fresh. They have the date dye stamped on
> each egg or I get them from a neighr warm from the nest. With those and a
> stick blender, cannot think of one reason not diy.
>
> You? What do you think?

I'm accustomed to macaroni salads bound with mayo. Tuna salad. Chicken
salad. Salmon salad. No condensed milk, though. Ishta.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> >
>> > Do you not like mayonnaise in anything or just here? Do you enjoy > >>

>> No, it's mayonnaise on pasta which seems slimy to me. I always prefer >>
>> homemade, but sometimes use Calvè, although the rest here I find dire
>> You? What do you think?

> I'm accustomed to macaroni salads bound with mayo. Tuna salad. Chicken >
> salad. Salmon salad. No condensed milk, though. Ishta.

Can't say I've had salmon salad, although poached salmon is often served
with mayonnaise, so why not? The others sure, often with mayonnaise, while
chicken salad is sometimes with pesto in summer. BLT MUST have mayonnaise.

Try macaroni salad made with oil from marinated artichokes and lemon juice,
properly salted and fiddled with. Actually, my cous cous salad is a pasta
salad, although I never think of it that way, and it uses the marinade as
well as olive oil.

Egg salad with nice acidy homemade I love on American style bread rolls.
Cold poached chicken breasts masked with a gelee made of mayonnaise.
There's a reason why its a mother sauce. I so much couldn't cook without it
that when my ex said he hated it I learned to make it homemade. I always
colored it pink with paprika so he knew what it was and he loved it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> "Giusi" > wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> >
>> > Do you not like mayonnaise in anything or just here?

>> No, it's mayonnaise on pasta which seems slimy to me.

For me I have a mild dislike of mayo straight but it's okay as an
ingredient. I'd rather have a sandwich without mayo but I might not
bother scraping excess mayo off. Since I can't digest wheat so I need
wheat free bread I hardly ever have commercial sandwiches so the issue
has long since turned theoretical for me.

> I'm accustomed to macaroni salads bound with mayo. Tuna salad. Chicken
> salad. Salmon salad.

For me the stronger the base the more likely I'll mix sour cream in with
the mayo. Tuna/chicken/turkey/egg salads to me are mild enough to go
with mayo. Salmon/sardine salads are strong enough that I want 50-50
mayo and sour cream. Going to the extreme of jack makeral salad it's
strong enough I want to cut it with all sour cream. Hmm, those slashes
above are "or"s not "and"s. I've mixed eggs into tuna sald but I've
never considered mixing the stronger and milder types of fish meat
together in a salad.