Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT; Our pseudo friend P.L

wanted to know about age of consent earlier. Here's a link to the
Saudi divorce case. It's flippin' disgusting.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/...ild/index.html

(CNN) -- A court in Saudi Arabia has granted an 8-year-old girl a
divorce from her 47-year-old husband, after twice denying the divorce
request previously, local media reported Thursday.

The marriage sparked condemnations around the world from human rights
groups and U.S. and other government officials when it first came to
light in December.

Local media, which is highly regulated by the Saudi government,
reported that the court in the city of Onaiza approved the divorce
decree Thursday, and the divorce is final.

A source at the court told the Saudi daily newspaper Al-Watan that the
divorce "came after a series of pleas made by a number of officials in
the region to the husband."

Don't Miss
Minister moves to regulate child marriages
UNICEF 'deeply concerned' at girl's marriage
CNN efforts to reach court officials, the husband and the girl's
father have been unsuccessful.

According to the attorney for the young girl's mother, the father of
the girl had arranged the marriage between his daughter and a close
friend of his to settle his debts with the man.

When the mother went to court to try to get the marriage annulled,
Saudi judge Habib al-Habib rejected the request on a legal
technicality. The judge ruled that the mother -- who is separated from
the girl's father -- was not the child's legal guardian and therefore
could not represent her in court, according to the mother's lawyer,
Abdullah al-Jutaili.

However, the judge required the girl's husband to sign a pledge that
he would not have sex with her until she reaches puberty, al-Jutaili
said. The lawyer said in the original marriage agreement, the father
of the girl stipulated that the marriage would not be consummated
until she was 18.

The judge also ruled that the girl could file a petition for a divorce
when she reached puberty, al-Jutaili said.

The young girl lives with her mother, the attorney said, and was never
told that she was married.

When the initial petition to annul the marriage was rejected, the
mother appealed the verdict to an appeals court in the Saudi capital
of Riyadh. The appeals court declined to certify the original ruling,
in essence rejecting al-Habib's verdict, and sent the case back to him
for reconsideration.

Under the complicated Saudi legal process, the appeals court ruling
meant that the marriage was still in effect but that a challenge to
the marriage was ongoing.

Earlier this month, the original judge refused for a second time to
annul the marriage.

Soon after that decision, Saudi Arabia's justice minister told Al-
Watan that he planned to enact a law that will protect young girls
from such marriages.

The law will place restrictions on the practice to preserve the rights
of children and prevent abuses, Justice Minister Mohammed Al-Issa was
quoted as saying. Additionally, al-Issa said there would be a study of
a system that will include regulations for the marriage of minors and
everything related to such unions, the newspaper reported. No details
on the restrictions or regulations were mentioned.

The minister did not say whether child marriage would be abolished.

Responding to the justice minister's comments and the possibility of a
new child marriage law, al-Jutaili told CNN at the time, "this is what
we requested from day one, and we know that Saudi officials are
working so hard on resolving this issue."

Al-Jutaili believes that such a law would help not only his defendant
but many other Saudi minors facing a similar problem.

In Washington Monday, Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs
William Burns called the marriage a human rights abuse.

"Child marriage is, unfortunately, still common in much of Saudi
Arabia and we have voiced our concern about this practice at the
highest levels," he told a conference on U.S.-Saudi relations. "We
were encouraged by reports that the Justice Ministry had begun to
review the legal age of marriage."

After the divorce was denied for a second time, the head of the United
Nations Children's Fund issued a statement expressing concern about
the case.

UNICEF Executive Director Ann Veneman said, "the right to free and
full consent to marriage is recognized in the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights. Consent cannot be free and full when either party to a
marriage is too young to make an informed decision."

The issue of child marriage has been a hot-button topic in the deeply
conservative Saudi kingdom recently. While rights groups have
petitioned the government for laws to protect children from such
marriages, the kingdom's top cleric has said that it's OK for girls as
young as 10 to wed.

"It is incorrect to say that it's not permitted to marry off girls who
are 15 and younger," Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Sheikh, the kingdom's grand
mufti, said in January, according to the regional Al-Hayat newspaper.
"A girl aged 10 or 12 can be married. Those who think she's too young
are wrong, and they are being unfair to her."

Al-Sheikh reportedly made the remarks when he was asked during a
lecture about parents forcing their underage daughters to marry.

"We hear a lot in the media about the marriage of underage girls," he
said, according to the newspaper. "We should know that sharia law has
not brought injustice to women."

Sharia law is Islamic law, and Saudi Arabia follows a strict
interpretation of Islam called Wahhabism.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 10:54*am, A Moose In Love >
wrote:
> [...]
> marriages, the kingdom's top cleric has said that it's OK for girls as
> young as 10 to wed.
>
> "It is incorrect to say that it's not permitted to marry off girls who
> are 15 and younger," Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Sheikh, the kingdom's grand
> mufti, said in January, according to the regional Al-Hayat newspaper.
> "A girl aged 10 or 12 can be married. Those who think she's too young
> are wrong, and they are being unfair to her."
>
> Al-Sheikh reportedly made the remarks when he was asked during a
> lecture about parents forcing their underage daughters to marry.
>
> "We hear a lot in the media about the marriage of underage girls," he
> said, according to the newspaper. "We should know that sharia law has
> not brought injustice to women."
>
> Sharia law is Islamic law, and Saudi Arabia follows a strict
> interpretation of Islam called Wahhabism.

Sharia law allows girls who have reached puberty -- first menstruation
-- to be married. Puberty is also the age at which a Muslim child can
have adult culpability for crime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 2:30*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> [...]

> > are 15 and younger," Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Sheikh, the kingdom's grand
> > mufti, said in January, according to the regional Al-Hayat newspaper.
> > "A girl aged 10 or 12 can be married. Those who think she's too young
> > are wrong, and they are being unfair to her."

> > Al-Sheikh reportedly made the remarks when he was asked during a
> > lecture about parents forcing their underage daughters to marry.

> > "We hear a lot in the media about the marriage of underage girls," he
> > said, according to the newspaper. "We should know that sharia law has
> > not brought injustice to women."

> > Sharia law is Islamic law, and Saudi Arabia follows a strict
> > interpretation of Islam called Wahhabism.

> Sharia law allows girls who have reached puberty -- first menstruation
> -- to be married. Puberty is also the age at which a Muslim child can
> have adult culpability for crime.- Hide quoted text -

8 years old? I don't think she's reached puberty yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose In Love" ha scritto nel messaggio > > (CNN) -- A court in Saudi
Arabia has granted an 8-year-old girl a
> > divorce from her 47-year-old husband, after twice denying the divorce
> > request previously, local media reported Thursday.

Every time a father of a bride "gives her away" he is perpetuating the idea
that you can trade a person in exchange for something or give that person as
a gift to someone else. Why don't they just walk down the aisle and say,
"Good luck, kid!" and that's it?