Posted to aus.services.defence,rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.food.cooking,aus.sport.shooting,aus.politics.guns

Default austrlia vs america vs canada

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:32:59 -0700 (PDT), Peter Lucas
> wrote:

>Going straight to the point, everyone owning a gun for 'self defense'
>is exactly why so many frikken people get shot dead in america all the
>time.
>
>Michael Moore missed the point in Bowling For Columbine (perhaps
>intentionally). He compared Canada to the US, saying that everyone has
>guns in Canada but the murder rate is really low. He concluded that
>the difference was the US media. I’m pretty sure that the real
>difference is that Canadians have hunting rifles to murder innocent
>animals, whereas Americans have handguns and sub-machine guns which
>they specifically own for 'protecting themselves 'by shooting other
>people.

Well, your "pretty sure" is worng...but don't let facts stand in the
way of your ideas.

>When everyone is allowed to own a handgun for any reason, your chances
>of getting shot are far far higher, and your chances of getting killed
>by an attacker are massively increased if that attacker has ready
>access to a gun. In America your hypothetical armed criminal will
>almost certainly be armed with a handgun or wors

Wrong again - but again, don't let facts bother you.

>e, in Australia the
>chances of someone with a gun breaking into your house are practically
>zero. I’d rather take the risk of the slim chance of being attacked by
>a crazy dude with a knife

Of course otyu would. And after he finishes with your wife and
daughter, you can drop your trousers, bend over and be dessert.

>, than live in a society where every crazy
>dude is walking around with a pistol or an uzi.

And again, don't let facts get in the way of your ideas.

>One person was shot dead in Melbourne recently, and it was HUGE news
>because it happens so rarely.
>There was a long-running mafia war going on here which saw gangsters
>shooting gangsters, but usually members of the general public are
>pretty safe from gun violence in this country.
>You’re so lucky you can own a gun for self defense, because ordinary
>US citizens get shot dead in massive numbers every day.
>
>And I have to say I’ve racked my brain, and I just can’t work out how
>owning a gun is going to help you survive a flood, earthquake or
>cyclone.

That's because you have a pretty small brain.