Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default The Rikers Island Carrot Cake

The NY Times published the famous Rikers Island Carrot Cake recipe in
a scaled down version for at home baking.

We asked Maury Rubin, the owner of City Bakery, to convert the recipe
for those at home and not incarcerated. Here it is:

Rikers Carrot Cake Ingredients

Granulated Sugar 2 cups
Canola Oil 1 ¾ cups
All Purpose Flour 3 ¼ cups
Salt 1 scant tablespoon
Baking Powder ½ cup and 3 tablespoons
Baking Soda scant ¼ cup
Nutmeg 1 tsp.
Allspice 1 tsp.
Cloves ½ tsp.
Ginger ½ tsp.
Cinnamon 3 tbl.
Shredded Carrots 4 ¾ cups
Eggs 8
Chopped Walnuts 1 cup
Raisins 1 ¾ cups
Vanilla Extract 2 tablespoons

Yield: Two 8” x 4.5” Loaf Pans

Baking Instructions

1. Place in a mixing bowl, or mixer — sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg,
ginger, clove powder, allspice, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Mix
on slow for five minutes. Mr. Rubin’s note: We mixed this batter
following the exact directions from Rikers. I don’t believe the mixing
of the dry ingredients [Step 1] is necessary for five minutes [one
minute will do], but otherwise, the recipe is straightforward and
works.

2. Add raisins, carrots, walnuts, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla
extract and mix on slow speed for an additional five minutes.

3. Increase speed to medium for 10 minutes.

4. Pour into loaf pans. Pans should be three-quarters full.

5. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350° for 30
to 35 minutes. Mr. Rubin’s Note: We baked it in a convection oven —
which bakes faster than a conventional home oven — but the time was
roughly the same as the Rikers recipe (45 to 50 minutes). We put the
batter into a 375° oven for 15 minutes, then reduced the temperature
to 350°. I’d emphasize that home ovens vary greatly in temperature and
baking time, and testing the cake with a toothpick or similar
instrument to see that the interior isn’t wet is the best approach to
knowing when it’s done.

6. It should cool in the pan before being removed, and then set on a
cooling rack for approximately 10 minutes before being sliced.

Mr. Rubin said that the carrot cake “tasted pretty good,” but
suggested “it needed a little more jazz, a little more spice.” He
recommended adding more ginger and less allspice, possibly swapping
their measurements. Ginger, Mr. Rubin said, “gives you an accent and a
high note.”

Many readers also asked for clarification on the oven temperature. As
noted in the article, in the Rikers Island recipe, the temperature is
reduced after the first 20 minutes of baking. Mr. Rubin explained that
starting on a higher temperature “sets everything in place,” ensuring
that the loaf has good structure. Subsequently reducing the
temperature allows the interior more time to bake without becoming
overdone, something that is helpful for sugar rich, dense batters.

Finally, Mr. Rubin noted that the recipe would not have to be changed
in any way if a home baker wanted to add icing. But bakers should know
that the inmates themselves have never asked for icing.

--------------------

my carrot cake MUST have cream cheese icing.......has to....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 18, 1:35*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> [...]
> their measurements. Ginger, Mr. Rubin said, “gives you an accent and a
> high note.”
>
> Many readers also asked for clarification on the oven temperature. As
> noted in the article, in the Rikers Island recipe, the temperature is
> reduced after the first 20 minutes of baking. Mr. Rubin explained that
> starting on a higher temperature “sets everything in place,” ensuring
> that the loaf has good structure. Subsequently reducing the
> temperature allows the interior more time to bake without becoming
> overdone, something that is helpful for sugar rich, dense batters.
>
> Finally, Mr. Rubin noted that the recipe would not have to be changed
> in any way if a home baker wanted to add icing. But bakers should know
> that the inmates themselves have never asked for icing.
>
> --------------------
>
> my carrot cake MUST have cream cheese icing.......has to....

add 8 oz of either sour cream or whole yogurt for more moistness.

harriet & critters
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:15:12 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> wrote:

> add 8 oz of either sour cream or whole yogurt for more moistness.

Instead of or along with the oil?

nb has cut back on the oil, but I like the recipe the way it is. I'll
try cutting the oil in half and adding 8oz of yogurt next time.

Carrot Cake
from Maria Pia

If you don't like coconut or raisins or nuts, leave it out.

2C flour
2C sugar
3 eggs
1C oil
1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained (or ½ C applesauce)
1t baking soda
2t cinnamon
1t salt
2t vanilla
2C shredded (raw) carrots
2C chopped walnuts
1C raisins
1C coconut

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured
rectangular cake pan or 3 well buttered and floured 8 inch round cake
pans.

Bake at 350° for 55 minutes.

Frosting

4T soft butter
one 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened)
3C sifted powdered sugar
1t vanilla
1/2t lemon juice (optional)

Using a hand held beater, blend the butter and cream cheese.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice. Frost cake.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:
>Rikers Carrot Cake Ingredients
>Cinnamon 3 tbl.

Three tablespoons of cinnamon can't be right. Do y'all think it is?

Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Aug 18, 1:35 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> The NY Times published the famous Rikers Island Carrot Cake recipe in
>> a scaled down version for at home baking.

>> We asked Maury Rubin, the owner of City Bakery, to convert the recipe
>> for those at home and not incarcerated. Here it is:
>>
>> Rikers Carrot Cake Ingredients
>>
>> Granulated Sugar 2 cups
>> Canola Oil 1 ¾ cups
>> All Purpose Flour 3 ¼ cups
>> Salt 1 scant tablespoon
>> Baking Powder ½ cup and 3 tablespoons
>> Baking Soda scant ¼ cup
>> Nutmeg 1 tsp.
>> Allspice 1 tsp.
>> Cloves ½ tsp.
>> Ginger ½ tsp.
>> Cinnamon 3 tbl.
>> Shredded Carrots 4 ¾ cups
>> Eggs 8
>> Chopped Walnuts 1 cup
>> Raisins 1 ¾ cups
>> Vanilla Extract 2 tablespoons

Holy cow! That's a total of 1 cup minus 1 Tbsp of leavening (baking
powder and soda) to only 3 1/4 cups of flour. There's also more
carrots than flour. It doesn't sound like good proportions.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-19, gloria.p > wrote:

>>> Canola Oil 1 ¾ cups
>>> All Purpose Flour 3 ¼ cups

>>> Baking Powder ½ cup and 3 tablespoons
>>> Baking Soda scant ¼ cup

>>> Shredded Carrots 4 ¾ cups
>>> Eggs 8

> Holy cow! That's a total of 1 cup minus 1 Tbsp of leavening (baking
> powder and soda) to only 3 1/4 cups of flour. There's also more
> carrots than flour. It doesn't sound like good proportions.

This whole recipe is skewed. Taking sf's great CC recipe and doubling
doesn't use anywhere near 1/2 C baking pwdr and 1/4 C soda. Likewise,
short on the flour and 3 times the eggs. Actually, the carrots sound
right, considering no coconut or pineapple. Still, it's gotta be a joke or the
worst recipe ever. What!? No saltpeter? ...lol

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:57:31 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> wrote:

> ImStillMags > wrote:
> >Rikers Carrot Cake Ingredients
> >Cinnamon 3 tbl.

> Three tablespoons of cinnamon can't be right. Do y'all think it is?

Somebody liked cinnamon. Did you notice it had 8 eggs? That's a very
rich cake.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:57:31 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> > wrote:
>
>> ImStillMags > wrote:
>>> Rikers Carrot Cake Ingredients
>>> Cinnamon 3 tbl.

>> Three tablespoons of cinnamon can't be right. Do y'all think it is?
>>

> Somebody liked cinnamon. Did you notice it had 8 eggs? That's a very
> rich cake.

It sounds like some of the ingredients have been cut down, while
others were forgotten.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2010 14:35, ImStillMags wrote:
> The NY Times published the famous Rikers Island Carrot Cake recipe in
> a scaled down version for at home baking.

> We asked Maury Rubin, the owner of City Bakery, to convert the recipe
> for those at home and not incarcerated. Here it is:
>
> Rikers Carrot Cake Ingredients
>
> Granulated Sugar 2 cups
> Canola Oil 1 ¾ cups
> All Purpose Flour 3 ¼ cups
> Salt 1 scant tablespoon
> Baking Powder ½ cup and 3 tablespoons
> Baking Soda scant ¼ cup
> Nutmeg 1 tsp.
> Allspice 1 tsp.
> Cloves ½ tsp.
> Ginger ½ tsp.
> Cinnamon 3 tbl.
> Shredded Carrots 4 ¾ cups
> Eggs 8
> Chopped Walnuts 1 cup
> Raisins 1 ¾ cups
> Vanilla Extract 2 tablespoons
>
> Yield: Two 8” x 4.5” Loaf Pans

They have since fixed the baking powder error, but haven't noticed all
of the other errors yet and seem to think that all is well.

My favorite part is the mixing instructions, in which the bakery that
did the conversions describes having made a batch with this recipe and
how it does work. They've got to be kidding!! The "scant tablespoon of
salt," "two tablespoons of vanilla," "quarter cup of baking soda..."
someone must have been throwing up somewhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:36:41 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:57:31 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> > > wrote:

> >> Three tablespoons of cinnamon can't be right. Do y'all think it is?
> >>

> > Somebody liked cinnamon. Did you notice it had 8 eggs? That's a very
> > rich cake.
> >

> It sounds like some of the ingredients have been cut down, while
> others were forgotten.

You're probably right. Rikers Island wouldn't make cakes in home
portions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikers_Island

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

At Rikers, This Cake Is Renowned Lee[_17_] Baking 4 05-11-2010 12:31 AM
Carrot Cake Connie Recipes 0 28-02-2007 02:17 PM
Carrot Cake Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 04-12-2004 09:50 PM
Carrot Cake Terry McIntire Recipes 0 22-11-2004 01:54 PM