Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Prices Rising

In my area Pittsburgh, PA, food prices really seem to be increasing
especially for beef. It is hard to get any hamburger for less than two
dolllars a pound. Spare ribs on sale last summer were around $1.59,
but now on sale they are around two dollars, and the same for pork
chops. Then I read in the paper that the Russian wheat harvest is in
trouble, and that bread prices will probably rise between twenty and
thirty percent.

Of course the headlines mention economists who are worried about
deflation rather than inflation. I guess they have not gone to the
store lately.

Tom
Senior Member

Location: WI

I'm looking at the Piggly Wiggly flyer as I type. Meats on sale are

3lb. bag of bnlss/skinlles breasts $4
Thick cut pork shops $2/lb
Chicken drums $.80/lb
80/20 ground beef $2/lb

Other

Butter $2/lb
Seedless watermelon $3
Red or green seedless grapes $1/lb

Large Mexican supermarkets in the Pheonix area have great prices and move stuff fast, as the previous post alluded to. I think the wheat crisis in Russia will help our government profit from the subsidization of Ag. Big poker chip, because you know farmers aren't going to be bringing in that money. This must be some sort of record year in the upper midwest. Lots of rain at perfect intervals. We're looking at five cuttings of hay. Just unloaded a ton of it over the weekend.