Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do I need a 10" chef's knife?

I've been flogging this dilemma since my last stint as a kitchen drone, a
couple Summers back, and my own experience with some great knives in my
own kitchen.

I'm no professional, I'll readily admit. But, even in my own kitchen,
I sometimes find myself limited by my 6"(French chef), 7-1/2"(short
Chinese), 8"(full Chinese) knives.

I'm familiar with longer knives. I had a cheap Chicago 8" chef.
Gone. A big-buck Messermeister 10" chefs. Gone. Several 8"-10"
chefs while I was doing a poor man's cooking school. IOW, BTDT.

I'm now looking for a good 10". I notice most Japanese knives are
9-1/2". I know so much of it is personal, but I also know I want that
longer blade length. It allows one to lift the blade a tad bit less
higher to clear a groups of carrot or celery stalks for
chopping/mincing. A narrower blade, one still giving adequate knuckle
clearance, is obviously required.

We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best knife. I want this
to be a discussion on which length and style of general chef's knife and the
brand and handle style. BUT!!.... feel free to include personal
experiences about brand, brand-line, and style.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 14, 2:19*pm, notbob > wrote:
> I've been flogging this dilemma since my last stint as a kitchen drone, a
> couple Summers back, and my own experience with some great knives in my
> own kitchen.
>
> I'm no professional, I'll readily admit. *But, even in my own kitchen,
> I sometimes find myself limited by my 6"(French chef), 7-1/2"(short
> Chinese), 8"(full Chinese) knives. *
>
> I'm familiar with longer knives. *I had a cheap Chicago 8" chef.
> Gone. *A big-buck Messermeister 10" chefs. *Gone. *Several 8"-10"
> chefs while I was doing a poor man's cooking school. *IOW, BTDT.
>
> I'm now looking for a good 10". *I notice most Japanese knives are
> 9-1/2". *I know so much of it is personal, but I also know I want that
> longer blade length. *It allows one to lift the blade a tad bit less
> higher to clear a groups of carrot or celery stalks for
> chopping/mincing. *A narrower blade, one still giving adequate knuckle
> clearance, is obviously required.
>
> We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best knife. *I want this
> to be a discussion on which length and style of general chef's knife and the
> brand and handle style. *BUT!!.... feel free to include personal
> experiences about brand, brand-line, and style.
>
> nb

This brand of knives are the ones I used in the restaurant. They are
light, dishwasher safe, keep an edge and
are easily sharpened or honed. I use the 7" as my everyday do
everything knife. If you are looking for a good 10" knife you will
do no better than this one.......and it's at a really great price
right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut...9143172&sr=1-8
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 14, 2:35*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2:19*pm, notbob > wrote:

This is the 7" sankotu I use for pretty much everything. What a
great knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fib...ref=pd_sim_k_3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2:19 pm, notbob wrote:
>
> >I've been flogging this dilemma since my last stint as a kitchen drone, a
> >couple Summers back, and my own experience with some great knives in my
> >own kitchen.
> >
> >I'm no professional, I'll readily admit. But, even in my own kitchen,
> >I sometimes find myself limited by my 6"(French chef), 7-1/2"(short
> >Chinese), 8"(full Chinese) knives.
> >
> >I'm familiar with longer knives. I had a cheap Chicago 8" chef.
> >Gone. A big-buck Messermeister 10" chefs. Gone. Several 8"-10"
> >chefs while I was doing a poor man's cooking school. IOW, BTDT.
> >
> >I'm now looking for a good 10". I notice most Japanese knives are
> >9-1/2". I know so much of it is personal, but I also know I want that
> >longer blade length. It allows one to lift the blade a tad bit less
> >higher to clear a groups of carrot or celery stalks for
> >chopping/mincing. A narrower blade, one still giving adequate knuckle
> >clearance, is obviously required.
> >
> >We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best

> knife. I want this
> >to be a discussion on which length and style of general chef's knife

> and the
> >brand and handle style. BUT!!.... feel free to include personal
> >experiences about brand, brand-line, and style.
> >
> >nb

> This brand of knives are the ones I used in the restaurant. They are
> light, dishwasher safe, keep an edge and
> are easily sharpened or honed. I use the 7" as my everyday do
> everything knife. If you are looking for a good 10" knife you will
> do no better than this one.......and it's at a really great price
> right now.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut...9143172&sr=1-8

While there is a great deal to be said for purchasing professional grade
cutlery, i have found some very good and inexspensive examples in the
local Asian shopping area.

I bought several "Kiwi" brand (Thailand) "chefs knives" about 7 - 8
years ago in our local Chinatown and am more likely to use them than a
heavier, more costly European set i were given years and years ago.

At the time i only paid about $2.00 each for the "kiwi" knives.

I suppose, if anybodies interested i could go back and see what they
cost at the same store now? but in general prices are and seem to remain
remarkably low in our local Chinatwon.

http://importfood.com/thai_knives.html
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 2:19*pm, notbob > wrote:
> I've been flogging this dilemma since my last stint as a kitchen drone, a
> couple Summers back, and my own experience with some great knives in my
> own kitchen.
>
> I'm no professional, I'll readily admit. *But, even in my own kitchen,
> I sometimes find myself limited by my 6"(French chef), 7-1/2"(short
> Chinese), 8"(full Chinese) knives. *
>
> I'm familiar with longer knives. *I had a cheap Chicago 8" chef.
> Gone. *A big-buck Messermeister 10" chefs. *Gone. *Several 8"-10"
> chefs while I was doing a poor man's cooking school. *IOW, BTDT.
>
> I'm now looking for a good 10". *I notice most Japanese knives are
> 9-1/2". *I know so much of it is personal, but I also know I want that
> longer blade length. *It allows one to lift the blade a tad bit less
> higher to clear a groups of carrot or celery stalks for
> chopping/mincing. *A narrower blade, one still giving adequate knuckle
> clearance, is obviously required.
>
> We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best knife. *I want this
> to be a discussion on which length and style of general chef's knife and the
> brand and handle style. *BUT!!.... feel free to include personal
> experiences about brand, brand-line, and style.
>
> nb

I think the 10" knife will help solve that throbbing in your head.
Just sayin..........

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 2:41*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2:35*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:> On Jul 14, 2:19*pm, notbob > wrote:
>
> This is the 7" sankotu I use for pretty much everything. * What a
> great knife.

I was going to tell you about the santoku knife I have and glad to
see that you like it too. Mine is "Anolon Advanced" 5.5" - I don't
remmeber whic store I got it from, probably Target. Recently I bought
a 7 in one from BBB for my brother at ($19.99-20% off) compared to
amazon's $35.00. BB don't carry this one at the store. But, I saw one
and grabbed it - I think it was returned (but unopened). So, it
didn't cost me shipping. My brother has to take these kitchen stuff I
bought for him; he won't let me to drop those of either. It looks
like it'll just end up with me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best
> knife. I want this to be a discussion on which length and style of
> general chef's knife and the brand and handle style. BUT!!.... feel
> free to include personal experiences about brand, brand-line, and
> style.

> nb

If you're comfortable wielding a 10" blade, go for it. My two Henckels
chef's knives are 6" and 8" and the 8" is plenty enough for me to
maneuver. I wouldn't feel confident with a 10" blade. JMO.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2:19 pm, notbob > wrote:
>> I've been flogging this dilemma since my last stint as a kitchen drone, a
>> couple Summers back, and my own experience with some great knives in my
>> own kitchen.
>>
>> I'm no professional, I'll readily admit. But, even in my own kitchen,
>> I sometimes find myself limited by my 6"(French chef), 7-1/2"(short
>> Chinese), 8"(full Chinese) knives.
>>
>> I'm familiar with longer knives. I had a cheap Chicago 8" chef.
>> Gone. A big-buck Messermeister 10" chefs. Gone. Several 8"-10"
>> chefs while I was doing a poor man's cooking school. IOW, BTDT.
>>
>> I'm now looking for a good 10". I notice most Japanese knives are
>> 9-1/2". I know so much of it is personal, but I also know I want that
>> longer blade length. It allows one to lift the blade a tad bit less
>> higher to clear a groups of carrot or celery stalks for
>> chopping/mincing. A narrower blade, one still giving adequate knuckle
>> clearance, is obviously required.
>>
>> We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best knife. I want this
>> to be a discussion on which length and style of general chef's knife and the
>> brand and handle style. BUT!!.... feel free to include personal
>> experiences about brand, brand-line, and style.
>>
>> nb

> This brand of knives are the ones I used in the restaurant. They are
> light, dishwasher safe, keep an edge and
> are easily sharpened or honed. I use the 7" as my everyday do
> everything knife. If you are looking for a good 10" knife you will
> do no better than this one.......and it's at a really great price
> right now.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut...9143172&sr=1-8

I will attest to these knives. They are my knives of preference. The
handles fit my hand perfectly and they are very well balanced. Usually
Cutlery and More sells them at good prices.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:19:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I've been flogging this dilemma since my last stint as a kitchen drone, a
>couple Summers back, and my own experience with some great knives in my
>own kitchen.
>
>I'm no professional, I'll readily admit. But, even in my own kitchen,
>I sometimes find myself limited by my 6"(French chef), 7-1/2"(short
>Chinese), 8"(full Chinese) knives.
>
>I'm familiar with longer knives. I had a cheap Chicago 8" chef.
>Gone. A big-buck Messermeister 10" chefs. Gone. Several 8"-10"
>chefs while I was doing a poor man's cooking school. IOW, BTDT.
>
>I'm now looking for a good 10". I notice most Japanese knives are
>9-1/2". I know so much of it is personal, but I also know I want that
>longer blade length. It allows one to lift the blade a tad bit less
>higher to clear a groups of carrot or celery stalks for
>chopping/mincing. A narrower blade, one still giving adequate knuckle
>clearance, is obviously required.
>
>We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best knife. I want this
>to be a discussion on which length and style of general chef's knife and the
>brand and handle style. BUT!!.... feel free to include personal
>experiences about brand, brand-line, and style.

About the only times I use a 10" knife is for sectioning cabbage and
wartymelon. For 99.9 % of home kitchen work an 8" chefs knife is more
than adequate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> This brand of knives are the ones I used in the restaurant. They are
> light, dishwasher safe, keep an edge and
> are easily sharpened or honed. I use the 7" as my everyday do
> everything knife. If you are looking for a good 10" knife you will
> do no better than this one.......and it's at a really great price
> right now.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut...dle/dp/B0000CF
> 8YO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279143172&sr=1-8

I've used Victorinox knives in commercial kitchens and they are as good
as anything in that situation. And they are usually available at
excellent prices. At home I like using my 7"santoku but if you are
cooking for more than just the family, the 10" French chef is a good way
to go (I don't own a Cusinart- I do own 3 10" chef knives).

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:19:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best knife. I want this
>to be a discussion on which length and style of general chef's knife and the
>brand and handle style. BUT!!.... feel free to include personal
>experiences about brand, brand-line, and style.

I have a broad selection of chef's knives, French, German, and Japanese
styles. I've come to the conclusion that it's 1) the geometry of the
person to the cutting surface and 2) weight and that determines what
feels best.

My counters are the standard 30-inch, and my cutting board is almost 4
inches thick. I'm 6'-3", which gves me a higher angle of attack for any
given knife. For me, what feels best is either the 8-inch deep-bellied
Wusthof or the 8-inch Forschner.

The 12" monster is simply too heavy. The ten-inchers too feel less
manuverable, and the French knives take my wrist down too far with each
stroke.

So I think you need to experiment with your cutting height, and choose
the length, depth, and weight blade that works for you at that height.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sitara wrote:

> http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut...9143172&sr=1-8

Yup. I have that same knife, and it's a joy to use. There's nothing like a
good knife to put a carrot -- or a ho -- in its place.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote

> I'm now looking for a good 10". I notice most Japanese knives are
> 9-1/2". I know so much of it is personal, but I also know I want that
> longer blade length. It allows one to lift the blade a tad bit less
> higher to clear a groups of carrot or celery stalks for
> chopping/mincing. A narrower blade, one still giving adequate knuckle
> clearance, is obviously required.

My preference is a good 7" or 8" like the Furi Copper tail I've been using
the past year or so. I have an 8" chef and it is OK, but I find the 10" too
long most of the time.

I'd not agonize over a 9 1/2" versus a 10", but I'd try it for feel and use
that as the feature to make my choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-15, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> My preference is a good 7" or 8" like the Furi Copper tail I've been using
> the past year or so. I have an 8" chef and it is OK, but I find the 10" too
> long most of the time.
>
> I'd not agonize over a 9 1/2" versus a 10", but I'd try it for feel and use
> that as the feature to make my choice.

I'm also happy with my 6" and 7-1/2" inch knives and that's what I
typically use, but lately I find myself making things for potlucks and
groups, etc. When I need to do mucho prep, a ten inch is appropriate
and actually easier to use. OTOH, I know about the wrong choice. The
10" Messermeister I had was a freakin' sword! Too wide, too heavy,
too much! I sold it on ebay having only used it once for tomatoes. I
don't miss it.

I still want a longer knife, though. This is why the query. There
are more appropriate knives, some I know will fit MY bill. I like the
idea of a 9-1/2" knife, a std Japanese knife size being 240mm..
Wusthof makes a 9" inch and they are very much in the running. Shuns
are supposed to be relatively light due to things like lack of bolster
and thinner blade, etc. Anyway, I'm still just looking and in no
hurry. Jes thought I'd run it past you folks.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:45:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-07-15, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> My preference is a good 7" or 8" like the Furi Copper tail I've been using
>> the past year or so. I have an 8" chef and it is OK, but I find the 10" too
>> long most of the time.
>>
>> I'd not agonize over a 9 1/2" versus a 10", but I'd try it for feel and use
>> that as the feature to make my choice.

>I'm also happy with my 6" and 7-1/2" inch knives and that's what I
>typically use, but lately I find myself making things for potlucks and
>groups, etc. When I need to do mucho prep, a ten inch is appropriate
>and actually easier to use. OTOH, I know about the wrong choice. The
>10" Messermeister I had was a freakin' sword! Too wide, too heavy,
>too much! I sold it on ebay having only used it once for tomatoes. I
>don't miss it.
>
>I still want a longer knife, though. This is why the query. There
>are more appropriate knives, some I know will fit MY bill. I like the
>idea of a 9-1/2" knife, a std Japanese knife size being 240mm..
>Wusthof makes a 9" inch and they are very much in the running. Shuns
>are supposed to be relatively light due to things like lack of bolster
>and thinner blade, etc. Anyway, I'm still just looking and in no
>hurry. Jes thought I'd run it past you folks.

I think it's totally a personal choice and also a matter of how big
you and your hands are. Louise is 5'3 with little hands and uses the
smallest knives we have. I'm 6'3 with big hands and prefer a 10 inch
knife. I can use an 8 inch but it's not what I grab first.

If I were in your shoes I'd invest in a sharpener and hit resale
stores and buy a few knives and bring them back to life and decide
which one(s) you like. I have some expensive knives but my favorites
are the ones I paid 50 cents for.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-15, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> I love my 10" Sabatier. Actually, I love all of my Sabatier knives..

I seriously considered a carbon steel knife. At least until I
resurrected old memories of cooking school. We had nothing but
commercial grade carbon steel knives. Guess who ended up sharpening
them almost every day cuz they didn't hold an edge fer crap!

Say what you want about the new generation of SS knives, but the good
ones, with good steel, are amazing. My fave, a LamsonSharp 6" chef,
is awesome. I've had it for over 15 yrs and while it's a chore to
sharpen and put a good edge on, once it's done, I'm good for at least
a year or two.

I sharpen my own knives and prefer a shallower angle, closer to 15
degrees. Yes, it's a pain and I'm still not a very good knife
sharpener, even after years of doing it, but when it all finally comes
together, it's a joy to use my knife.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:41:32 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2:35*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> > On Jul 14, 2:19*pm, notbob > wrote:
> >

> This is the 7" sankotu I use for pretty much everything. What a
> great knife.
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fib...ref=pd_sim_k_3

What a good price! I need another paring knife, looked at one... such
a deal; then the set of three caught my eye. Decisions, decisions.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-15, Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I think it's totally a personal choice and also a matter of how big
> you and your hands are.

Agreed, Lou. I have pretty large hands, but that's not really the
issue for me. It's more about feel and technique. For one, I don't
use a pinch grip, where you pinch the top of the blade with your thumb
and fore fingers and only let your hind fingers rest on the handle. I
keep my whole hand on the handle, so I want an extremely comfortable
one. Secondly, weight and width are important. Strangely, not like
you might think. I have a killer Chinese knife. Top rated. Carbon
steel and all that other mouth drool stuff. I like it. I use it.
But, it's not a French chef's knife, which I prefer.

> which one(s) you like. I have some expensive knives but my favorites
> are the ones I paid 50 cents for.

Sorry, but you'll not find a GOOD knife in the bargain box. Quality
costs, even in the world of resale.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine replied to notbob:

>> I seriously considered a carbon steel knife. At least until I
>> resurrected old memories of cooking school. We had nothing but
>> commercial grade carbon steel knives. Guess who ended up sharpening
>> them almost every day cuz they didn't hold an edge fer crap!

> These hold an edge like you wouldn't believe. They are awesome.

When you say "these," exactly what knives do you mean? ALL carbon-steel
knives?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-15, sf > wrote:

> What a good price! I need another paring knife, looked at one... such
> a deal; then the set of three caught my eye. Decisions, decisions.

Earth to sf!

A 7" santoku is not a paring knife.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Subject

My 10" Henckels, forged chef's knife with molded handle, works for me.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 05:29:00 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-07-15, sf > wrote:
> >
> > What a good price! I need another paring knife, looked at one... such
> > a deal; then the set of three caught my eye. Decisions, decisions.

> Earth to sf!
>
> A 7" santoku is not a paring knife.

Not a santoku, I have one. Here is what I was looking at (for myself)
<http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-3-Piece-Paring-Handles/dp/B000QCPNUE/ref=pd_sim_k_4>

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best >>
>> knife. I want this to be a discussion on which length and style of
>> general chef's knife and the brand and handle style. BUT!!.... feel >>
>> free to include personal experiences about brand, brand-line, and
>> style.

> If you're comfortable wielding a 10" blade, go for it. My two Henckels
> chef's knives are 6" and 8" and the 8" is plenty enough for me to
> maneuver. I wouldn't feel confident with a 10" blade. JMO.

My longest currently is 8". While I may sometimes work on meat that is big
enough to need the 10", I manage with the 8" Besides, my oven is only the
standard 22" so I reckon the 8" will do.
It is more than adequate for mincing and chopping vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> My longest currently is 8". While I may sometimes work on meat that is
> big enough to need the 10", I manage with the 8"

Eight inches ought to be enough for most women.

Were we still talking about knives?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>
>> My longest currently is 8". While I may sometimes work on meat that is
>> big enough to need the 10", I manage with the 8"

> Were we still talking about knives?

They're mostly made in China nowadays and we know China doesn't know from
more than 6", so let's stick to knives, in the back or otherwise.

I had this vision of whacking a veal pancia with my biggest knife before
stuffing and rolling it. But I can also use a cutting board for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2010 1:13 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:41:32 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jul 14, 2:35 pm, > wrote:
>>> On Jul 14, 2:19 pm, > wrote:
>>>

>> This is the 7" sankotu I use for pretty much everything. What a
>> great knife.
>>

>> http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fib...ref=pd_sim_k_3

> What a good price! I need another paring knife, looked at one... such
> a deal; then the set of three caught my eye. Decisions, decisions.

Then there's the 125th anniversary edition that's 50 cents or so less
<http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Anniversary-Limited-Santoku-Granton/dp/B001XCWNN6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279196827&sr=8-2>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 05:15:23 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-07-15, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> I think it's totally a personal choice and also a matter of how big
>> you and your hands are.

>Agreed, Lou. I have pretty large hands, but that's not really the
>issue for me. It's more about feel and technique. For one, I don't
>use a pinch grip, where you pinch the top of the blade with your thumb
>and fore fingers and only let your hind fingers rest on the handle. I
>keep my whole hand on the handle, so I want an extremely comfortable
>one. Secondly, weight and width are important. Strangely, not like
>you might think. I have a killer Chinese knife. Top rated. Carbon
>steel and all that other mouth drool stuff. I like it. I use it.
>But, it's not a French chef's knife, which I prefer.
>
>> which one(s) you like. I have some expensive knives but my favorites
>> are the ones I paid 50 cents for.

>Sorry, but you'll not find a GOOD knife in the bargain box. Quality
>costs, even in the world of resale.

I got a set of 3 MAC knives brand new in the box for 8 bucks. At the
time they were $120-140 retail. I also scored a set of Chicago
Cutlery. IIRC there were 12 in the mismatched set with a knife block.
I think it was 5 bucks. There's good deals out there is you have the
time to look for them. At least around here.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-15, jmcquown > wrote:

> This brand of knives are the ones I used in the restaurant.

You forgot to name the brand, Jill!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-15, Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I got a set of 3 MAC knives brand new in the box for 8 bucks.

Where is that place? Fantasy land?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2010-07-15, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> This brand of knives are the ones I used in the restaurant.

> You forgot to name the brand, Jill!
>
> nb

ohmygawd. I just rec'd a call from a 'friend of a friend" introducing
herself and saying she's trying to obtain scholarships to medical
school. She thought I might be able to help her... if I'd allow her to
show me something-"have you heard of Cutco?"
<eye roll>
I must make a note to thwack our mutual "friend" who gave her my name
and number. Jeeez.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:58:35 -0700, JL wrote:

> While there is a great deal to be said for purchasing professional grade
> cutlery, i have found some very good and inexspensive examples in the
> local Asian shopping area.
>
> I bought several "Kiwi" brand (Thailand) "chefs knives" about 7 - 8
> years ago in our local Chinatown and am more likely to use them than a
> heavier, more costly European set i were given years and years ago.
>
> At the time i only paid about $2.00 each for the "kiwi" knives.
>
> I suppose, if anybodies interested i could go back and see what they
> cost at the same store now? but in general prices are and seem to remain
> remarkably low in our local Chinatwon.
>
> http://importfood.com/thai_knives.html

i have a kiwi knife (6 1/4 inch blade) and a cleaver. *love* the knife
(and have given two as gifts). the cleaver is less used (i have a heavier
cleaver for when i have cleaver-type chores to do) but they are both
incredible buys. *very* sharp and seem to hold their edge well. i believe
om first recommended them a couple years ago.

i think i paid between five and six dollars apiece at a thai market.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:03:38 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:19:24 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> I'm now looking for a good 10".

> I'm not biting.
>
>> I notice most Japanese knives are
>> 9-1/2". I know so much of it is personal, but I also know I want that
>> longer blade length.

> I rarely have any use for anything bigger than 8". And especially
> not for chopping. The only time I use my 10" is when I carve a
> whole top sirloin, sirloin or round tip, or other large piece of
> meat (smoked brisket).
>
> It's a Henckles Professional S and I love it, I just never have
> any use for it. They certainly imply it's for everyday use, but I
> just don't see it happening in practice. At least in my consumer
> kitchen.
>
> AFAIK, from speaking with many culinary professionals, chefs don't
> use a 10" blade for everyday chopping. That's always going to be
> your 7-8". I use the 6" chefs wide blade (5-Star) most often.
>
> -sw

ten inches seems like too much blade for most chores to me also.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:53:43 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 05:29:00 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2010-07-15, sf > wrote:
>>>
>>> What a good price! I need another paring knife, looked at one... such
>>> a deal; then the set of three caught my eye. Decisions, decisions.

>> Earth to sf!
>>
>> A 7" santoku is not a paring knife.
>>

> Not a santoku, I have one. Here is what I was looking at (for myself)
> <http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-3-Piece-Paring-Handles/dp/B000QCPNUE/ref=pd_sim_k_4>

i am curious about what folks use the bird's beak parer for. i know barb
has mentioned hers a couple of times, but i disremember in what connection.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2010 8:01 PM, brooklyn1 wrote:
> About the only times I use a 10" knife is for sectioning cabbage and
> wartymelon. For 99.9 % of home kitchen work an 8" chefs knife is more
> than adequate.

Same here; cabbage, pumpkin, butternut squash, watermelon. I used mine
to cut a watermelon this morning.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i am curious about what folks use the bird's beak parer for. i know barb
> has mentioned hers a couple of times, but i disremember in what connection.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I love mine! Great for paring vegetables or small fruits (kiwi, etc)
directly in ones hand.
I once wrote about it here that I picked mine up years ago in Germany
(Henkles) and had never seen that shaped blade here in the states. Since
then I have noticed them more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-15, Goomba > wrote:

> show me something-"have you heard of Cutco?"

Yikes! Tickler terrorism.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:21:16 -0400, pltrgyst >
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:19:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>

>>We at RFC haveq more often than not discussed which brand is the best knife. I want this
>>to be a discussion on which length and style of general chef's knife and the
>>brand and handle style. BUT!!.... feel free to include personal
>>experiences about brand, brand-line, and style.

>I have a broad selection of chef's knives, French, German, and Japanese
>styles. I've come to the conclusion that it's 1) the geometry of the
>person to the cutting surface and 2) weight and that determines what
>feels best.
>
>My counters are the standard 30-inch, and my cutting board is almost 4
>inches thick. I'm 6'-3",

The 4" thk board reduces your stature to a mere 5' 11"... what kinda
putz needs a four inch thick board in a home kitchen to chop carrots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2010 1:19 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
> Subject
>
> My 10" Henckels, forged chef's knife with molded handle, works for me.
>
> YMMV
>
> Lew

This is the knife I used to cut a watermelon this morning. It's a great
knife. I also have Chicago Cutlery knives which I encouraged my children
to use. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-10-In...9206804&sr=1-4

Tiny URL
http://tinyurl.com/2bss95f
* <http://tinyurl.com/2bss95f>*
Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:45:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>I still want a longer knife, though. This is why the query. There
>>are more appropriate knives, some I know will fit MY bill. I like the
>>idea of a 9-1/2" knife, a std Japanese knife size being 240mm..
>>Wusthof makes a 9" inch and they are very much in the running. Shuns
>>are supposed to be relatively light due to things like lack of bolster
>>and thinner blade, etc. Anyway, I'm still just looking and in no
>>hurry. Jes thought I'd run it past you folks.

>I love my 10" Sabatier.

What pray tell does one do with a 10" chefs knife in a typical home
kitchen... you obviously suffer penis envy. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We have a 10" Henkel's Chef's knife. It is too big for most jobs, but
it makes cutting a raw chicken in half pretty easy (rather than
spatchcocking it).

Here are the knives we use most often:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1361832121

(you shouldn't need a Facebook account to see this link)

George L

10" vs. 12" chef's knife KLS Cooking Equipment 15 22-12-2007 09:10 PM
Macho Chef has links to "Top Chef" News articles Android General Cooking 0 18-10-2006 04:33 PM
Got a mini Chef's knife - what to do with it? alan Cooking Equipment 19 29-11-2004 08:47 AM
chef's knife elaine General Cooking 6 20-11-2004 06:43 AM
World's Best Chef Knife? Fred Cooking Equipment 16 02-09-2004 05:18 PM