Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Greek -Style Nachos....with lamb

I found this recipe in the New York Times last year. I made them
this weekend.

My goodness, they are good!!! and simple to do.

Greek-Style Nachos

4 pita pockets, white or whole wheat, cut into wedges

About 1/2 cup olive oil

Salt

4 ounces feta cheese

1/2 cup yogurt, preferably whole-milk

1/2 cup chopped fresh mint

1 lemon

Freshly ground black pepper

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 pound ground lamb

1 tablespoon ground cumin

2 or 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped

1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded if necessary, and chopped

1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted and halved (optional).

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Arrange pita wedges in one layer on baking
sheets and brush or drizzle with a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
Bake until they begin to color, turning once or twice, about 10
minutes. Sprinkle with salt, turn off oven and put chips back in to
keep warm.

2. In a blender or food processor, combine feta, yogurt, 1/4 cup olive
oil, mint and zest and juice of lemon; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Blend or process until smooth. (You can also mash mixture by hand,
with a fork.)

3. Put two tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and
cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add lamb and cumin and
sprinkle with salt and pepper; continue cooking until meat is cooked
through, about 5 to 10 minutes more. Put chips on a serving plate and
top with lamb, sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers and olives if you’re using
them.

Yield: 4 servings.

The pita 'chips' are really yummy with the lamb and the sauce. A
wonderful combination of flavors and textures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2010 1:27 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> I found this recipe in the New York Times last year. I made them
> this weekend.
>
> My goodness, they are good!!! and simple to do.
>

> Greek-Style Nachos
>

> 4 pita pockets, white or whole wheat, cut into wedges
>
> About 1/2 cup olive oil
>
> Salt
>
> 4 ounces feta cheese
>
> 1/2 cup yogurt, preferably whole-milk
>
> 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
>
> 1 lemon
>
> Freshly ground black pepper
>
> 1 medium onion, chopped
>
> 1/2 pound ground lamb
>
> 1 tablespoon ground cumin
>
> 2 or 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
>
> 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded if necessary, and chopped
>
> 1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted and halved (optional).
>

> 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Arrange pita wedges in one layer on baking
> sheets and brush or drizzle with a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
> Bake until they begin to color, turning once or twice, about 10
> minutes. Sprinkle with salt, turn off oven and put chips back in to
> keep warm.
>
> 2. In a blender or food processor, combine feta, yogurt, 1/4 cup olive
> oil, mint and zest and juice of lemon; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
> Blend or process until smooth. (You can also mash mixture by hand,
> with a fork.)
>
> 3. Put two tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and
> cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add lamb and cumin and
> sprinkle with salt and pepper; continue cooking until meat is cooked
> through, about 5 to 10 minutes more. Put chips on a serving plate and
> top with lamb, sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers and olives if you’re using
> them.
>
> Yield: 4 servings.
>

> The pita 'chips' are really yummy with the lamb and the sauce. A
> wonderful combination of flavors and textures.

Sounds good, thanks for the recipe.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sitara wrote:

> Greek-Style Nachos

> 4 pita pockets, white or whole wheat, cut into wedges
> About 1/2 cup olive oil
> Salt
> 4 ounces feta cheese
> 1/2 cup yogurt, preferably whole-milk
> 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
> 1 lemon
> Freshly ground black pepper
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1/2 pound ground lamb
> 1 tablespoon ground cumin
> 2 or 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
> 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded if necessary, and chopped
> 1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted and halved (optional).
>
> 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Arrange pita wedges in one layer on baking
> sheets and brush or drizzle with a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Bake
> until they begin to color, turning once or twice, about 10 minutes.
> Sprinkle with salt, turn off oven and put chips back in to keep warm.
>
> 2. In a blender or food processor, combine feta, yogurt, 1/4 cup olive
> oil, mint and zest and juice of lemon; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
> Blend or process until smooth. (You can also mash mixture by hand, with a
> fork.)
>
> 3. Put two tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook
> onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add lamb and cumin and sprinkle with
> salt and pepper; continue cooking until meat is cooked through, about 5 to
> 10 minutes more. Put chips on a serving plate and top with lamb, sauce,
> tomatoes, cucumbers and olives if you’re using them.
>
> Yield: 4 servings.

One of the joys of real nachos is the melted cheese. I don't think I'd call
this recipe nachos because it lacks that essential hot-cheese quality. To
address this deficiency, I'd either add a LOT of kasseri (at least equal to
the amount of lamb), or I'd grill some halloumi until it browns and softens,
then incorporate that into the lamb mixture.

Bob

Greek Lamb Stew With Artichokes Nicky Cottee Recipes 0 02-04-2009 11:36 PM
Grilled Whole Fish, Greek-Style becky Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 08:19 PM
Greek Style Oven Fries Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-10-2005 03:16 PM
Greek-Style Mushrooms Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-06-2005 02:29 AM
Easter Greek Lamb Recipe Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-03-2005 11:08 PM