Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

On 7/12/2010 2:05 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> Simple cornbread recipe used throughout the south:
>
> 2 cups cornmeal (preferably yellow)
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 1 egg, well beaten
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>
> Mix it all well and bake in a 450F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, test with
> a toothpick for doneness.
>
> Heat the cast iron skillet, ten to twelve inches in diameter, with a
> tablespoon of oil in it in the oven from the very start. When oven is up
> to heat pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and then cook to time.
> This ensures a nice crisp crust all around and a nice tender pone. You
> can pretty much mix in any ingredients you want as long as the skillet
> will hold it. I have used a cast iron chicken fryer to make "stuffed"
> cornbread and it worked well.

What's a "pone?" Is it like amata? :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:12:00 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> On 7/12/2010 2:05 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>
> > This ensures a nice crisp crust all around and a nice tender pone. You
> > can pretty much mix in any ingredients you want as long as the skillet
> > will hold it. I have used a cast iron chicken fryer to make "stuffed"
> > cornbread and it worked well.
> >

> What's a "pone?" Is it like amata? :-)

From the context, it sounded like the insides (the crust is crispy,
the inside is tender).

I looked it up... define: pone

noun; The general measurement of a family-size quantity of cornbread,
coincidentally the exact diameter and thickness of a #12 iron skillet.
activerain.com/blogsview/1065447/mr-blackwell-s-weekly-appalachian-american-thesaurus-week-3

pones - In common usage in the south a "pone" is used to describe any
small individual serving of cornbread (which can include dressing)
usually formed into a small oval portion. However, some people refer
to a skillet of cornbread as a pone as well.
http://www.marthawhite.com/cooks_cor..._glossary.aspx

I have no idea what an "amata" is in cooking/eating terms.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2010 8:47 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:12:00 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> On 7/12/2010 2:05 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> This ensures a nice crisp crust all around and a nice tender pone. You
>>> can pretty much mix in any ingredients you want as long as the skillet
>>> will hold it. I have used a cast iron chicken fryer to make "stuffed"
>>> cornbread and it worked well.
>>>

>> What's a "pone?" Is it like amata? :-)

> From the context, it sounded like the insides (the crust is crispy,
> the inside is tender).
>
> I looked it up... define: pone
>
> noun; The general measurement of a family-size quantity of cornbread,
> coincidentally the exact diameter and thickness of a #12 iron skillet.
> activerain.com/blogsview/1065447/mr-blackwell-s-weekly-appalachian-american-thesaurus-week-3
>
> pones - In common usage in the south a "pone" is used to describe any
> small individual serving of cornbread (which can include dressing)
> usually formed into a small oval portion. However, some people refer
> to a skillet of cornbread as a pone as well.
> http://www.marthawhite.com/cooks_cor..._glossary.aspx

I knew that small finger of cornbread was a pone but I was unaware of
the usage as a big cornbread or as the guts of a loaf. Thanks!

> I have no idea what an "amata" is in cooking/eating terms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:01:46 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> I knew that small finger of cornbread was a pone but I was unaware of
> the usage as a big cornbread or as the guts of a loaf. Thanks!

YW, but if you knew that much going in - you knew more about it than I
did. I've only heard "pone" used in a derogatory way as in calling
someone a "cornpone".

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2010 9:46 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:01:46 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> I knew that small finger of cornbread was a pone but I was unaware of
>> the usage as a big cornbread or as the guts of a loaf. Thanks!

> YW, but if you knew that much going in - you knew more about it than I
> did. I've only heard "pone" used in a derogatory way as in calling
> someone a "cornpone".

I think you win because I've never heard of pone used in a bad way,
probably because we're not into corn on this island. Mostly, we don't
think much about corn or corn products - except maybe ethanol, which we
ship over here from the mainland so we can add it to our gas. Maybe we
should be growing corn over here and making our own ethanol. Yee Ha.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> On 7/12/2010 2:05 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Simple cornbread recipe used throughout the south:
>> <snip>
>> This ensures a nice crisp crust all around and a nice tender pone. You

> What's a "pone?" Is it like amata? :-)

No, exactly the opposite.

Amata is when something goes awry or astray.

"nice tender pone" as in the situation George was discussing, is when
everything has gone fabulously well!!

Think in bread terms: Nice crumb.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2010 4:31 PM, bolivar wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> On 7/12/2010 2:05 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> Simple cornbread recipe used throughout the south:
>>> <snip>
>>> This ensures a nice crisp crust all around and a nice tender pone. You

>> What's a "pone?" Is it like amata? :-)

> No, exactly the opposite.
>
> Amata is when something goes awry or astray.
>
> "nice tender pone" as in the situation George was discussing, is when
> everything has gone fabulously well!!
>
> Think in bread terms: Nice crumb.
>
> Boli

English - it's a tough language!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/12/2010 4:31 PM, bolivar wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> What's a "pone?" Is it like amata? :-)

>> No, exactly the opposite.
>>
>> Amata is when something goes awry or astray.
>>
>> "nice tender pone" as in the situation George was discussing, is when
>> everything has gone fabulously well!!
>>
>> Think in bread terms: Nice crumb.
>>
>> Boli
>>

> English - it's a tough language!

True enough. But at least I did get your intention.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2010 4:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/12/2010 9:46 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:01:46 -1000, > wrote:
>>
>>> I knew that small finger of cornbread was a pone but I was unaware of
>>> the usage as a big cornbread or as the guts of a loaf. Thanks!

>> YW, but if you knew that much going in - you knew more about it than I
>> did. I've only heard "pone" used in a derogatory way as in calling
>> someone a "cornpone".
>>

> I think you win because I've never heard of pone used in a bad way,
> probably because we're not into corn on this island. Mostly, we don't
> think much about corn or corn products - except maybe ethanol, which we
> ship over here from the mainland so we can add it to our gas. Maybe we
> should be growing corn over here and making our own ethanol. Yee Ha.

Well, there _was_ Jubilation T. Cornpone . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2010 8:18 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> On 7/12/2010 4:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> YW, but if you knew that much going in - you knew more about it than I
>>> did. I've only heard "pone" used in a derogatory way as in calling
>>> someone a "cornpone".
>>>

>> I think you win because I've never heard of pone used in a bad way,
>> probably because we're not into corn on this island. Mostly, we don't
>> think much about corn or corn products - except maybe ethanol, which we
>> ship over here from the mainland so we can add it to our gas. Maybe we
>> should be growing corn over here and making our own ethanol. Yee Ha.

> Well, there _was_ Jubilation T. Cornpone . . .

That's from li'l Abner. The comic strip didn't make much sense to me but
the film was pretty memorable. My guess is that it's a favorite of any
boy over the age of 12 - must be the music and the sets and the plot
although, to be honest, I can't rightly remember any of that stuff... :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2010 5:22 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/13/2010 8:18 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

>>> I think you win because I've never heard of pone used in a bad way,
>>> probably because we're not into corn on this island. Mostly, we don't
>>> think much about corn or corn products - except maybe ethanol, which we
>>> ship over here from the mainland so we can add it to our gas. Maybe we
>>> should be growing corn over here and making our own ethanol. Yee Ha.

>> Well, there _was_ Jubilation T. Cornpone . . .

> That's from li'l Abner. The comic strip didn't make much sense to me but
> the film was pretty memorable. My guess is that it's a favorite of any
> boy over the age of 12 - must be the music and the sets and the plot
> although, to be honest, I can't rightly remember any of that stuff... :-)

Well, any adolescent would remember Julie Newmar as Stupefyin' Jones . . .