Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Key Lime Pie

Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.

Key Lime Pie

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup key lime juice
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
whipping cream, whipped
pie crust

Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.

To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
minutes. Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.

Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in
cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. Spoon into cooled pie crust.
Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and
lime slices. Store in refrigerator.

Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
have ever made.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:53:41 -0500, Becca > wrote:

> Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.
>
> Key Lime Pie
>
> 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
> 1/2 cup key lime juice
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
> 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
> 1 cup whipping cream
> 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
> whipping cream, whipped
> pie crust
>
> Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.
>
> To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
> minutes. Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
> boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
> small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
> juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.
>
> Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
> medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in
> cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. Spoon into cooled pie crust.
> Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and
> lime slices. Store in refrigerator.
>
> Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
> have ever made.

Thanks! Recipe clipped and saved. Have you tried this with a
crumb crust? The only type of key lime pie I've made is the one with
condensed milk and I like it a lot. This recipe fits well with my no
bake theme, so I'll try it soon too.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 2:53*pm, Becca > wrote:
> Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.
>
> * * * * * * * Key Lime Pie
>
> * * * * 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
> * * * 1/2 cup key lime juice
> * * * * 1 cup sugar
> * * * * 2 eggs, beaten
> * * * * 1 *8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
> * * * 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
> * * * * 1 cup whipping cream
> * * 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
> * * * * * *whipping cream, whipped
> * * * * * *pie crust
>
> Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.
>
> To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
> minutes. *Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
> boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
> small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
> juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.
>
> Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
> medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. *Fold in
> cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. *Spoon into cooled pie crust.
> Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. *Garnish with whipped cream and
> lime slices. Store in refrigerator.
>
> Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
> have ever made.
>
> Becca

I thought Real Key Lime Pie had to have sweetened condensed milk. As
a matter of fact, I'm sure of it. For this recipe, I'd make it into
mousse - separate the eggs, fold in the whipped whites, fold in some
whipped cream and then top with whipped cream. Yum.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2010 3:48 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:53:41 -0500, > wrote:
>

>> Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.
>>
>> Key Lime Pie
>>
>> 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
>> 1/2 cup key lime juice
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 2 eggs, beaten
>> 1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
>> 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
>> 1 cup whipping cream
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
>> whipping cream, whipped
>> pie crust
>>
>> Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.
>>
>> To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
>> minutes. Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
>> boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
>> small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
>> juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.
>>
>> Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
>> medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in
>> cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. Spoon into cooled pie crust.
>> Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and
>> lime slices. Store in refrigerator.
>>
>> Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
>> have ever made.
>>

> Thanks! Recipe clipped and saved. Have you tried this with a
> crumb crust? The only type of key lime pie I've made is the one with
> condensed milk and I like it a lot. This recipe fits well with my no
> bake theme, so I'll try it soon too.

It would taste good with a crumb crust, but I made this for my low carb
diet, so I did not have a crust.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2010 3:56 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2:53 pm, > wrote:
>
>> snip...
>>

> I thought Real Key Lime Pie had to have sweetened condensed milk. As
> a matter of fact, I'm sure of it. For this recipe, I'd make it into
> mousse - separate the eggs, fold in the whipped whites, fold in some
> whipped cream and then top with whipped cream. Yum.
>
> N.

If you try that, let us know how it turns out.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.
>
> Key Lime Pie
>
> 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
> 1/2 cup key lime juice
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
> 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
> 1 cup whipping cream
> 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
> whipping cream, whipped
> pie crust
>
> Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.
>
> To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
> minutes. Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
> boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
> small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
> juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.
>
> Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
> medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in
> cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. Spoon into cooled pie crust.
> Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and
> lime slices. Store in refrigerator.
>
> Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
> have ever made.
>
> Becca

Thanks, Becca. Saved it. Key lime is DH's favorite and the little key
limes are really reasonable here. I think I can swap Splenda for the
sugar and it should hold up nicely with the gelatin, whipping cream and
cream cheese.

I make a crust which is mostly nuts that would do well with a fridge
pie. Could even let it set up with no crust, too. His birthday is 6/21
and I'm gonna give him a big ol' treat.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 8:15*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Becca wrote:
> > Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.

> > * * * * * * *Key Lime Pie

> > * * * *1 envelope unflavored gelatin
> > * * *1/2 cup key lime juice
> > * * * *1 cup sugar
> > * * * *2 eggs, beaten
> > * * * *1 *8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
> > * * *1/4 cup butter, room temperature
> > * * * *1 cup whipping cream
> > * *1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
> > * * * * * whipping cream, whipped
> > * * * * * pie crust

> > Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.

> > To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
> > minutes. *Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
> > boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
> > small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
> > juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.

> > Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
> > medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. *Fold in
> > cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. *Spoon into cooled pie crust..
> > Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. *Garnish with whipped cream and
> > lime slices. Store in refrigerator.

> > Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
> > have ever made.

> > Becca

> Thanks, Becca. Saved it. *Key lime is DH's favorite and the little key
> limes are really reasonable here. I think I can swap Splenda for the
> sugar and it should hold up nicely with the gelatin, whipping cream and
> cream cheese.
>
> I make a crust which is mostly nuts that would do well with a fridge
> pie. Could even let it set up with no crust, too. *His birthday is 6/21
> and I'm gonna give him a big ol' treat.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

I have made the below recipe, using vanilla wafers instead of the lime
cooler cookies. And I use Splenda instead of sugar, as well as
"neufchatel cheese" (which has less fat and calories than regular
cream cheese). They are WONDERFUL! (not no bake, though).

Key Lime Tarts

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

This recipe can be easily doubled to make as many tarts as you need.

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
12 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
24 tarts

Ingredients

* 24 Key Lime Cooler cookies
* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons lime juice, preferably Key lime
* 1 teaspoon lime zest
* Fresh sweetened whipped cream
* Mint leaves or lime zest, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Fill 2 (12-muffin) mini muffin tins with paper cups and spray cups
with cooking spray. Place 1 Key Lime Cooler cookie in the bottom of
each cup, flat side down.

Prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, lime juice,
and zest until well mixed. Fill the cups to the top. Bake for 10 to 12
minutes. Remove tarts to cool. When completely cool, fit a star tip in
a pastry bag and fill with the whipped cream. Pipe the whipped cream
on top of the tarts. Garnish with tiny mint leaves or lime zest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:

> I have made the below recipe, using vanilla wafers instead of the lime
> cooler cookies. And I use Splenda instead of sugar, as well as
> "neufchatel cheese" (which has less fat and calories than regular
> cream cheese). They are WONDERFUL! (not no bake, though).
>
> Key Lime Tarts
>
> Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
>
> This recipe can be easily doubled to make as many tarts as you need.
>
> Prep Time:
> 15 min
> Inactive Prep Time:
> --
> Cook Time:
> 12 min
>
> Level:
> Easy
>
> Serves:
> 24 tarts
>
> Ingredients
>
> * 24 Key Lime Cooler cookies
> * 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
> * 1 egg
> * 1/2 cup sugar
> * 2 tablespoons lime juice, preferably Key lime
> * 1 teaspoon lime zest
> * Fresh sweetened whipped cream
> * Mint leaves or lime zest, for garnish
>
> Directions
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
>
> Fill 2 (12-muffin) mini muffin tins with paper cups and spray cups
> with cooking spray. Place 1 Key Lime Cooler cookie in the bottom of
> each cup, flat side down.
>
> Prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, lime juice,
> and zest until well mixed. Fill the cups to the top. Bake for 10 to 12
> minutes. Remove tarts to cool. When completely cool, fit a star tip in
> a pastry bag and fill with the whipped cream. Pipe the whipped cream
> on top of the tarts. Garnish with tiny mint leaves or lime zest.

Sounds like a great recipe, Sheryl. I wonder if the tarts would set up
without the cookies? DH is Diabetic so we try to avoid carbs with no
nutritional value as he is limited to the amount of carbs he can eat.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:15:13 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I make a crust which is mostly nuts that would do well with a fridge
> pie. Could even let it set up with no crust, too. His birthday is 6/21
> and I'm gonna give him a big ol' treat.

Would you please post that crust recipe?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 3:48*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:53:41 -0500, Becca > wrote:
> > Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.

> > * * * * * * * Key Lime Pie

> > * * * * 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
> > * * * 1/2 cup key lime juice
> > * * * * 1 cup sugar
> > * * * * 2 eggs, beaten
> > * * * * 1 *8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
> > * * * 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
> > * * * * 1 cup whipping cream
> > * * 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
> > * * * * * *whipping cream, whipped
> > * * * * * *pie crust

> > Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.

> > To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
> > minutes. *Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
> > boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
> > small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
> > juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.

> > Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
> > medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. *Fold in
> > cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. *Spoon into cooled pie crust..
> > Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. *Garnish with whipped cream and
> > lime slices. Store in refrigerator.

> > Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
> > have ever made.

> Thanks! *Recipe clipped and saved. * *Have you tried this with a
> crumb crust? *The only type of key lime pie I've made is the one with
> condensed milk and I like it a lot. *This recipe fits well with my no
> bake theme, so I'll try it soon too.

Because unlike the condensed milk recipe, it doesn't have any crappy
ingredients.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 3:56*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2:53*pm, Becca > wrote:
>

> > Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.

> > * * * * * * * Key Lime Pie

> > * * * * 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
> > * * * 1/2 cup key lime juice
> > * * * * 1 cup sugar
> > * * * * 2 eggs, beaten
> > * * * * 1 *8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
> > * * * 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
> > * * * * 1 cup whipping cream
> > * * 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
> > * * * * * *whipping cream, whipped
> > * * * * * *pie crust

> > Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.

> > To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
> > minutes. *Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
> > boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
> > small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
> > juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.

> > Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
> > medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. *Fold in
> > cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. *Spoon into cooled pie crust..
> > Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. *Garnish with whipped cream and
> > lime slices. Store in refrigerator.

> > Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
> > have ever made.

> > Becca

> I thought Real Key Lime Pie had to have sweetened condensed milk. *As
> a matter of fact, I'm sure of it. *For this recipe, I'd make it into
> mousse - separate the eggs, fold in the whipped whites, fold in some
> whipped cream and then top with whipped cream. *Yum.

What a waste of key limes, to use them with canned milk.

> N.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On 6/14/2010 3:56 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Jun 14, 2:53 pm, > wrote:
>>
>>> snip...
>>>

>> I thought Real Key Lime Pie had to have sweetened condensed milk. As
>> a matter of fact, I'm sure of it. For this recipe, I'd make it into
>> mousse - separate the eggs, fold in the whipped whites, fold in some
>> whipped cream and then top with whipped cream. Yum.
>>
>> N.
>>

> If you try that, let us know how it turns out.
>
> Becca

But in the recipe Becca posted the eggs were cooked. If you
make it into mousse, aren't the eggs raw?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> thanks a million... I'm sending that on to my gluten intolerant DIL
> too. Is Splenda a 1:1 substitute for sugar?

It is for me. I also use hazlenut flour for crusts occasionally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:39:08 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > thanks a million... I'm sending that on to my gluten intolerant DIL
> > too. Is Splenda a 1:1 substitute for sugar?

> It is for me. I also use hazlenut flour for crusts occasionally.

Thanks. I don't have to substitute, so I don't.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2010 7:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Thanks, Becca. Saved it. Key lime is DH's favorite and the little key
> limes are really reasonable here. I think I can swap Splenda for the
> sugar and it should hold up nicely with the gelatin, whipping cream
> and cream cheese.
>
> I make a crust which is mostly nuts that would do well with a fridge
> pie. Could even let it set up with no crust, too. His birthday is
> 6/21 and I'm gonna give him a big ol' treat.

It was not mentioned, but I did use Splenda in that pie. Maybe that is
why it sets up so solid. I have never made it with sugar.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 9:22*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On Jun 14, 3:56*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 14, 2:53*pm, Becca > wrote:

> > > Here is one of my favorite Key Lime Pie recipes.

> > > * * * * * * * Key Lime Pie

> > > * * * * 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
> > > * * * 1/2 cup key lime juice
> > > * * * * 1 cup sugar
> > > * * * * 2 eggs, beaten
> > > * * * * 1 *8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
> > > * * * 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
> > > * * * * 1 cup whipping cream
> > > * * 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
> > > * * * * * *whipping cream, whipped
> > > * * * * * *pie crust

> > > Make the pie crust and allow the pie crust to cool.

> > > To make filling, in a small saucepan, soften gelatin in lime juice 5
> > > minutes. *Blend in sugar and eggs. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a
> > > boil. Reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring constantly. In a
> > > small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beat well. Pour in hot lime
> > > juice mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.

> > > Refrigerate until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a
> > > medium bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form. *Fold in
> > > cooled lime juice mixture and lime peel. *Spoon into cooled pie crust.
> > > Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. *Garnish with whipped cream and
> > > lime slices. Store in refrigerator.

> > > Even after adding whipping cream, this pie is rich and thick, the best I
> > > have ever made.

> > > Becca

> > I thought Real Key Lime Pie had to have sweetened condensed milk. *As
> > a matter of fact, I'm sure of it. *For this recipe, I'd make it into
> > mousse - separate the eggs, fold in the whipped whites, fold in some
> > whipped cream and then top with whipped cream. *Yum.

> What a waste of key limes, to use them with canned milk.
>

> > N.

> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

FYI, I've never made Key Lime Pie - had it a few times when I lived in
Miami, but once I found out it had SCM, I didn't like it any more.
However, that is the purported AUTHENTIC recipe. So sue me.

My mom made her Key Lime Pie like a lemon meringue pie .... it was
pretty tasty, but it wasn't really Key Lime Pie.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 9:30*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Becca wrote:

> >> I thought Real Key Lime Pie had to have sweetened condensed milk. *As
> >> a matter of fact, I'm sure of it. *For this recipe, I'd make it into
> >> mousse - separate the eggs, fold in the whipped whites, fold in some
> >> whipped cream and then top with whipped cream. *Yum.

> >> N.

> > If you try that, let us know how it turns out.

> > Becca

> But in the recipe Becca posted the eggs were cooked. *If you
> make it into mousse, aren't the eggs raw?
>
> gloria p- Hide quoted text -

You can use pasteurized eggs. They act the same as reg'lar eggs.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:39:08 +0200, "Giusi" > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> > thanks a million... I'm sending that on to my gluten intolerant DIL
>> > too. Is Splenda a 1:1 substitute for sugar?

>> It is for me. I also use hazlenut flour for crusts occasionally.
>>

> Thanks. I don't have to substitute, so I don't.

What substitute? It tastes great and works better with chocolate than
almond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:54:17 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> >> It is for me. I also use hazlenut flour for crusts occasionally.
> >>

> > Thanks. I don't have to substitute, so I don't.

> What substitute? It tastes great and works better with chocolate than
> almond.

I'm not diabetic, so I don't need to substitute splenda for sugar. I
realized I'd put it in the wrong place after I hit send.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:06:10 -0500, Becca > wrote:

> I have some almond meal in the pantry, so this works out great.

You bought it, you didn't make it yourself? Where do you buy that
stuff?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:22:28 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> My mom made her Key Lime Pie like a lemon meringue pie .... it was
> pretty tasty, but it wasn't really Key Lime Pie.

I make it with SCM, but it also has a meringue. <shrug> *I* like it.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2010 1:23 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >, >
> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the recipe. George can't have the flour in a traditional pie
>> crust and I try to keep it low carb. I have some almond meal in the
>> pantry, so this works out great.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> I'd read about Almond meal. Does it work well and can I make my own?

Almond meal works well, the texture reminds me of cornmeal. You can try
making it in a food processor. I bought this at a health food store.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2010 3:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:06:10 -0500, > wrote:
>

>> I have some almond meal in the pantry, so this works out great.
>>

> You bought it, you didn't make it yourself? Where do you buy that
> stuff?

I bought the Almond Meal at a health food store.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 9:23*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:
> > I have made the below recipe, using vanilla wafers instead of the lime
> > cooler cookies. And I use Splenda instead of sugar, as well as
> > "neufchatel cheese" (which has less fat and calories than regular
> > cream cheese). They are WONDERFUL! (not no bake, though).

> > Key Lime Tarts

> > Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

> > This recipe can be easily doubled to make as many tarts as you need.

> > Prep Time:
> > * * 15 min
> > Inactive Prep Time:
> > * * --
> > Cook Time:
> > * * 12 min

> > Level:
> > * * Easy

> > Serves:
> > * * 24 tarts

> > Ingredients

> > * * * 24 Key Lime Cooler cookies
> > * * * 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
> > * * * 1 egg
> > * * * 1/2 cup sugar
> > * * * 2 tablespoons lime juice, preferably Key lime
> > * * * 1 teaspoon lime zest
> > * * * Fresh sweetened whipped cream
> > * * * Mint leaves or lime zest, for garnish

> > Directions

> > Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

> > Fill 2 (12-muffin) mini muffin tins with paper cups and spray cups
> > with cooking spray. Place 1 Key Lime Cooler cookie in the bottom of
> > each cup, flat side down.

> > Prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, lime juice,
> > and zest until well mixed. Fill the cups to the top. Bake for 10 to 12
> > minutes. Remove tarts to cool. When completely cool, fit a star tip in
> > a pastry bag and fill with the whipped cream. Pipe the whipped cream
> > on top of the tarts. Garnish with tiny mint leaves or lime zest.

> Sounds like a great recipe, Sheryl. I wonder if the tarts would set up
> without the cookies? *DH is Diabetic so we try to avoid carbs with no
> nutritional value as he is limited to the amount of carbs he can eat.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

Why not? If you're going to do it without crust though, I would use
lightly buttered ramekins instead of mini muffin tins. Then you can
just eat it like key lime "flan", custard, call it whatever you want.
No need to unmold. Just take a spoon to the cup and dig right in. (i
bought ramekins at Pier 1, they hold about 6 oz each, and they cost $1
each!) I made the above recipe in ramekins (with buttered animal
cracker crust) and the above recipe made 10 ramekins, i believe.

It's sort of a cross between cheesecake and key lime pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 2:00*am, sf > wrote:
> thanks a million... I'm sending that on to my gluten intolerant DIL
> too. *Is Splenda a 1:1 substitute for sugar?

Yes. But only the one in the bag or box. Not the little packets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 5:45*pm, Becca > wrote:
> On 6/15/2010 1:23 PM, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In >, >
> > wrote:

> >> Thanks for the recipe. *George can't have the flour in a traditional pie
> >> crust and I try to keep it low carb. *I have some almond meal in the
> >> pantry, so this works out great.

> >> Becca

> > I'd read about Almond meal. Does it work well and can I make my own?

> Almond meal works well, the texture reminds me of cornmeal. *You can try
> making it in a food processor. I bought this at a health food store.
>
> Becca

Trader Joes sells finely ground almonds, too. If you have them there???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I'd read about Almond meal. Does it work well and can I make my own?

It works well but you have to watch it carefully or it burns. I don't
think you will be able to achieve such a fine grind on your own.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 3:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:06:10 -0500, Becca > wrote:
> > I have some almond meal in the pantry, so this works out great.

> You bought it, you didn't make it yourself? *Where do you buy that
> stuff?
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

At our supermarkets, it's with the flour in the baking aisle. I think
you could make your own if you quit with the processor or blender just
before it turns into paste.... You could certainly try it with a few
almonds and see what happens. If it turns into paste, just use it in
Crepes Frangipani. Yum.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:17:55 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 3:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:06:10 -0500, Becca > wrote:
> > > I have some almond meal in the pantry, so this works out great.

> > You bought it, you didn't make it yourself? *Where do you buy that
> > stuff?
> >
> > --
> > Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

> At our supermarkets, it's with the flour in the baking aisle.

I've never seen anything like that with regular flour, but I haven't
been looking for it either. Maybe it's really there and I haven't
noticed it, because I don't stand around perusing flour - I just grab
and go.

> I think
> you could make your own if you quit with the processor or blender just
> before it turns into paste.... You could certainly try it with a few
> almonds and see what happens. If it turns into paste, just use it in
> Crepes Frangipani. Yum.

Hmmm. Well, you know I'm on a crepes kick so that's a tasty
alternative.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:17:55 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:

>>> You bought it, you didn't make it yourself? Where do you buy that
>>> stuff?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

>> At our supermarkets, it's with the flour in the baking aisle.

> I've never seen anything like that with regular flour, but I haven't
> been looking for it either. Maybe it's really there and I haven't
> noticed it, because I don't stand around perusing flour - I just grab
> and go.

Look in the section with the specialty flours. If they carry it, it
should be there. Brace yourself for sticker shock.

BTW, I store mine in the freezer. It keeps better there. Won't go rancid.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:23:26 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Look in the section with the specialty flours. If they carry it, it
>should be there. Brace yourself for sticker shock.

I'll look for the specialty flours. Thanks. <deep breath> You're
really scaring me about the price!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:20:59 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:33:52 -0500, wrote:
> >
> >> I'm gonna ask. I always wondered wny it's called KEY Lime pie.
> >> Why "KEY"? I dont see any car keys in the recipe....

> > Ever heard of the Florida Keys?
> >

> Except that the "key Limes" we get come from Mexico. There aren't enough
> lime trees in the Keys to produce an export crop.

That doesn't matter. If it did, you'd be calling them something else.
They are not native to the Florida Keys anyway.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/key...#ixzz0r84lEdCX
How did the Key limes get their name? Most likely, they originated in
Southeast Asia, and were brought to Haiti by Christopher Columbus in
1493. From there, they made their way to the Bahamas, and then to Key
West, in Florida. Since then they've been known in the U.S. as "Key
limes."

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:18:37 -0500, Andy > wrote:

> Trader Joe's sells sacks of key limes.

Really? I haven't noticed and that's something I would notice if they
were there. I'll ask for them the next time I go.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Key Lime Pie sf[_9_] General Cooking 16 22-06-2010 08:23 PM
Lime Turkdelight General Cooking 2 10-07-2005 09:28 PM
Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? [email protected] General Cooking 10 31-12-2004 12:25 AM
Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? [email protected] General 10 31-12-2004 12:25 AM
Key Lime Pie Kim Grauballe Recipes (moderated) 0 29-02-2004 04:17 PM