Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default O/T: Clothes Lines

On May 12, 10:38*pm, "Lew Hodgett" > wrote:

<snipped>

Here's what I think of clotheslines:

1. I have better things to do than stand around pinning up clothes
2. I prefer my clothes to be soft, smell like the dryer, and not
require
ironing
3. I prefer not to have birdshit on my freshly washed clothes

You can keep your nostalgia.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>On May 12, 10:38*pm, "Lew Hodgett" > wrote:
>
>Here's what I think of clotheslines:
>
>1. I have better things to do than stand around pinning up clothes
>2. I prefer my clothes to be soft, smell like the dryer, and not
>require
>ironing
>3. I prefer not to have birdshit on my freshly washed clothes
>
>You can keep your nostalgia.

Agreed... and there are much better ways to save electric than not
using the clothes dryer... like not owning an electric stove/oven, and
then using it to bake one potato, plus all the lights folks forget to
turn off when they leave a room... and many folks don't use their
dryer efficiently, they overload it and dry only on high heat... you
will save energy and extend their life by removing heavier items
before completely dry and hang them; comforters, blankets, winter
outerwear, floor mats, etc... that's why I have lines in my basement.
And the UV from sunlight deteriorates fibers, fades colors, and
destroys elastic... cuts the life of your laundry by at least half...
and I detest linty clothes. And yoose ladies shouldn't be machine
drying your expensive delicates... machine dry on low for five
minutes to remove wrinkles and lint, then hang them somewhere, they
don't take much room and they dry fast. I still own one of those
wooden clothes drying racks that stood in the bathtub, from many years
ago, before I had my own house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 9:24*am, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:
> On May 12, 10:38*pm, "Lew Hodgett" > wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> Here's what I think of clotheslines:
>
> 1. *I have better things to do than stand around pinning up clothes
> 2. *I prefer my clothes to be soft, smell like the dryer, and not
> require
> ironing
> 3. *I prefer not to have birdshit on my freshly washed clothes

> You can keep your nostalgia.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'm with you. I had to deal with a ringer washer and clotheslines on
pulleys as a kid. In the winter, bring in those towels which were
frozen boards and let em dry on a rack after 3 days of waiting for a
thaw. And bring em in before it rains. And NEVER have laundry still
on the line on a Sunday. I know all about it. My mother knew the
lore.

And I DON'T care for the fresh cotton smell, Yankee candles be
damned.

As to my electricity usage, I'd rather give up a night or two of the
drivel on tv than stop using my dryer. I had enuf of clothesline
drying. I DO keep a folding rack tho, to dry delicate sheer curtains
etc on a nice day out on the deck.

I lived in a place where clotheslines were frowned upon, as well as
trucks, rvs and boats in the driveway. I can understand it - some ppl
would leave laundry on the line for days and it looked like the devil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 10:20*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:

*I still own one of those
> wooden clothes drying racks that stood in the bathtub, from many years
> ago, before I had my own house.

My wooden rack is always standing in my bathtub which is never used
for a bath. I use the rack to dry damp towels and handwashing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On May 13, 9:24 am, Cindy Hamilton >
> wrote:

>> Here's what I think of clotheslines:
>>
>> 1. I have better things to do than stand around pinning up clothes
>> 2. I prefer my clothes to be soft, smell like the dryer, and not
>> require
>> ironing
>> 3. I prefer not to have birdshit on my freshly washed clothes

>> You can keep your nostalgia.

> I'm with you. I had to deal with a ringer washer and clotheslines on
> pulleys as a kid. In the winter, bring in those towels which were
> frozen boards and let em dry on a rack after 3 days of waiting for a
> thaw. And bring em in before it rains. And NEVER have laundry still
> on the line on a Sunday. I know all about it. My mother knew the
> lore.

Ah, people after my own heart. I have NO fond memories of
line drying, the weather never cooperated when it was important
and I'll be happy to spend the rest of my life not dealing with
frozen towels that dry to a nice scratchy texture.

I have a dowel held up by a couple of loops of rope in my
utility room, I hang up whatever I don't care to put into the
dryer for whatever reason.

> I lived in a place where clotheslines were frowned upon, as well as
> trucks, rvs and boats in the driveway. I can understand it - some ppl
> would leave laundry on the line for days and it looked like the devil.

I'm not nostalgic for the underwear-on-display look, either. I know
that's not a popular sentiment in these here parts. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/13/2010 9:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On May 12, 10:38 pm, "Lew > wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> Here's what I think of clotheslines:
>
> 1. I have better things to do than stand around pinning up clothes
> 2. I prefer my clothes to be soft, smell like the dryer, and not
> require
> ironing
> 3. I prefer not to have birdshit on my freshly washed clothes
>
> You can keep your nostalgia.

Ditto - especially #2.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

I still own one of those
> wooden clothes drying racks that stood in the bathtub, from many years
> ago, before I had my own house.

I had one for years and replaced it with one that attaches to the wall in my
laundry room and folds up flat against the wall like an accordion when not
in use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:38:24 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .

>I still own one of those
>> wooden clothes drying racks that stood in the bathtub, from many years
>> ago, before I had my own house.

>I had one for years and replaced it with one that attaches to the wall in my
>laundry room and folds up flat against the wall like an accordion when not
>in use.

I've seen those too... my mother had an indoor clothes line that
unreeled from a red thing mounted on a wall, the string looped over a
hook at the other side of the room... after use there was a winding
handle to reel it in.