Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2010-03-26) Dietary restrictions?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

No mention of Catholics? Can a person still be Catholic if they eat
meat on Friday's during Lent? (That's the only food restriction I
could think of for Catholics!) ;-)

I know Jews who eat pork and still consider themselves Jewish. I
know Muslims who drink and don't pray five times a day and still
consider themselves Muslim.

Whether or not they are "good" Catholics, Jews, or Muslims is
another story.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:00:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

What happened to MCINL?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-26, Tracy wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> No mention of Catholics? Can a person still be Catholic if they eat
> meat on Friday's during Lent? (That's the only food restriction I
> could think of for Catholics!) ;-)

AIUI, Roman Catholics no longer have to abstain from meat on most
Fridays, but they are supposed to carry out some kind of abstinence or
penitence. (Were RC vegetarians or pescatarians considered to be
abstaining all the time in the old days?)

(I'm not RC and I don't generally eat meat, but I love seafood. So
for me fish is a treat rather than abstinence.)

--
Do you know what they do to book thieves up at Santa Rita?
http://www.shigabooks.com/indeces/bookhunter.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:00:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> What happened to MCINL?
>

> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

I second this. I know plenty of people who consider themselves Jewish and I
am privy to their dining habits. On the other hand, although I know a few
people who are Muslim, their dining habits I am not privy to. I think it is
between the believer and their god.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:35:19 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> I second this. I know plenty of people who consider themselves Jewish and I
> am privy to their dining habits. On the other hand, although I know a few
> people who are Muslim, their dining habits I am not privy to. I think it is
> between the believer and their god.

I got stuck at Muslim too. I don't think I know any. If I do, the
topic of their religion and religious dietary restrictions hasn't come
up.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

For the first time I couldn't answer a single question in the poll. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 2:00*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

"No opinion" or "No knowledge" should have been answer options. It
was difficult to answer and probably skewed the results.

And what or who defines a 'good' Muslim, Catholic etc.? Could be
debated ad nauseam.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2:00 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> "No opinion" or "No knowledge" should have been answer options. It
> was difficult to answer and probably skewed the results.

People who would choose those answers probably should have skipped this
survey.

> And what or who defines a 'good' Muslim, Catholic etc.? Could be
> debated ad nauseam.

Good = observant.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:56:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Mar 26, 2:00*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

>"No opinion" or "No knowledge" should have been answer options. It
>was difficult to answer and probably skewed the results.
>
>And what or who defines a 'good' Muslim, Catholic etc.? Could be
>debated ad nauseam.

Greg never had a problem defining a 'good' muslim.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> Greg never had a problem defining a 'good' muslim.

He's not really dead, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:00:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> What happened to MCINL?

It went to Mosque...

> I second this. I know plenty of people who consider themselves Jewish
> and I
> am privy to their dining habits.

You've hit the nail on the head, ginny - "people who *consider*
themselves to be Jewish...

> On the other hand, although I know a
> few
> people who are Muslim, their dining habits I am not privy to. I think
> it is between the believer and their god.
> -ginny

Whether you are privy to any particular Muslims' dining habits or not,
it's fairly common knowledge that Muslims are not supposed to drink
and/or cook with alcohol (or eat pork either, BTW) because Islam
forbids it.

Here's a little story I saw recently about the Dubai municipality
attempting to ban restaurants from cooking with alcohol - which luckily
for the non-Muslims living/working/visiting there was retracted...

http://www.news24.com/Content/World/...l_back_in_food

or
http://tinyurl.com/y88o7te

I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:59:40 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
>terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
>certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
>out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
>agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
>certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.

And more importantly, there are many, many sects within each of these
two religions, just as there are within Christianity. Each of these
sects believes, of course, that it is the One True Path and they all
differ greatly in a lot more ways than dietary habits.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:59:40 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>

>>I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
>>terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
>>certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
>>out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
>>agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
>>certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.

> And more importantly, there are many, many sects within each of these
> two religions, just as there are within Christianity. Each of these
> sects believes, of course, that it is the One True Path and they all
> differ greatly in a lot more ways than dietary habits.

Indeed. I even know some Christian people whose sect (as you so aptly
put it) don't believe in eating pork either. I don't feel the same way
they do - but I wouldn't dream of offering pork to them in my house; it
would be disrespectful to do so, IMHO.
--
Cheers
Chatty "agnostic" Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
> terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
> certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
> out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
> agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
> certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I disagree with this somewhat. While Muslim is a religion only, not an
ethnicity, Jewish most certainly is:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews>

I guess you could switch the term to "Hebrew".
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Boron Elgar wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:59:40 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
> >>terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
> >>certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
> >>out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
> >>agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
> >>certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.

> > And more importantly, there are many, many sects within each of these
> > two religions, just as there are within Christianity. Each of these
> > sects believes, of course, that it is the One True Path and they all
> > differ greatly in a lot more ways than dietary habits.

> Indeed. I even know some Christian people whose sect (as you so aptly
> put it) don't believe in eating pork either. I don't feel the same way
> they do - but I wouldn't dream of offering pork to them in my house; it
> would be disrespectful to do so, IMHO.

I know some people who don't eat pork simply because they consider it to
be unhealthy. Shrimp and farmed salmon for the same reason. This
particular couple gets to help me plan the menu when they eat over to
make it easier for me to make a decision as to what to serve them.

I truly, truly do not mind doing this for them. When I cook for others,
I cook for others and take just as much pleasure in doing so as I do
when I cook for self or family, and they are always profusely
appreciative. :-)

The last couple of times, they have brought organic produce from their
garden and helped prep it as part of the meal, and they always make sure
they bring a green that _I_ like as they now know that I don't care for
Collards or Turnip greens. <g> I can be picky too sometimes!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
>> terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
>> certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
>> out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
>> agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
>> certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.

> I disagree with this somewhat. While Muslim is a religion only, not an
> ethnicity, Jewish most certainly is:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews>
>
> I guess you could switch the term to "Hebrew".

And I disagree with you somewhat <eg>

To quote your source: "Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within
the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed
into the Jewish people throughout the millennia."

So... if I decided to convert to Judaism tomorrow, for example, how
would that change my *biological* race, may I humbly ask?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> > I disagree with this somewhat. While Muslim is a religion only, not an
> > ethnicity, Jewish most certainly is:
> >
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews>
> >
> > I guess you could switch the term to "Hebrew".

> And I disagree with you somewhat <eg>
>
> To quote your source: "Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within
> the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed
> into the Jewish people throughout the millennia."
>
> So... if I decided to convert to Judaism tomorrow, for example, how
> would that change my *biological* race, may I humbly ask?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

It's just that, Historically, Jews and Hebrews seem to be synonymous. :-)
I guess that no longer applies in modern times...
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Boron Elgar wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:59:40 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
> >>terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
> >>certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
> >>out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
> >>agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
> >>certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.

Yes, I agree. Judaism, Christianity and Muslim are not races, just
different religions. Furthermore, they all started in the same place
and share a cultural heritage.

> > And more importantly, there are many, many sects within each of these
> > two religions, just as there are within Christianity. Each of these
> > sects believes, of course, that it is the One True Path and they all
> > differ greatly in a lot more ways than dietary habits.

> Indeed. I even know some Christian people whose sect (as you so aptly
> put it) don't believe in eating pork either.

In fact, for those who are strict Biblical literalists, it says pretty
clearly in the Bible, in the Old Testament (Leviticus 11), no pork, no
shellfish. So, all Christians either need to give up pork and
shellfish, or figure out a way to weasel around what the Bible clearly
says. Most of them choose to ignore it. That's fine, it doesn't seem
applicable. Just don't come quoting some other part of Leviticus, taken
out of context, and try to say that "it's in the Bible, therefore it's
true".

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2010 10:56 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:59:40 +0200, ChattyCathy

>>> And more importantly, there are many, many sects within each of these
>>> two religions, just as there are within Christianity. Each of these
>>> sects believes, of course, that it is the One True Path and they all
>>> differ greatly in a lot more ways than dietary habits.

>> Indeed. I even know some Christian people whose sect (as you so aptly
>> put it) don't believe in eating pork either. I don't feel the same way
>> they do - but I wouldn't dream of offering pork to them in my house; it
>> would be disrespectful to do so, IMHO.

> I know some people who don't eat pork simply because they consider it to
> be unhealthy. Shrimp and farmed salmon for the same reason. This
> particular couple gets to help me plan the menu when they eat over to
> make it easier for me to make a decision as to what to serve them.
>
> I truly, truly do not mind doing this for them. When I cook for others,
> I cook for others and take just as much pleasure in doing so as I do
> when I cook for self or family, and they are always profusely
> appreciative. :-)
>
> The last couple of times, they have brought organic produce from their
> garden and helped prep it as part of the meal, and they always make sure
> they bring a green that _I_ like as they now know that I don't care for
> Collards or Turnip greens.<g> I can be picky too sometimes!

If you can get hold of the greens from the Tokyo Cross turnip you might
change your mind. I never liked the purple top greens and still won't
eat the root (I'm worse than Barb is about beets)unless it is pickled,
which I like right well, or raw, which I also like. Cooked turnips
always taste bad to me. The Tokyo Cross turnips are pure white and the
greens are tender and delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> If you can get hold of the greens from the Tokyo Cross turnip you might
> change your mind. I never liked the purple top greens and still won't
> eat the root (I'm worse than Barb is about beets)unless it is pickled,
> which I like right well, or raw, which I also like. Cooked turnips
> always taste bad to me. The Tokyo Cross turnips are pure white and the
> greens are tender and delicious.

I'll have to look for those just for grins. It is indeed the tough
texture that I don't care for.

I love beet greens!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2010 12:23 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> I disagree with this somewhat. While Muslim is a religion only, not an
>>> ethnicity, Jewish most certainly is:
>>>
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews>
>>>
>>> I guess you could switch the term to "Hebrew".

>> And I disagree with you somewhat<eg>
>>
>> To quote your source: "Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within
>> the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed
>> into the Jewish people throughout the millennia."
>>
>> So... if I decided to convert to Judaism tomorrow, for example, how
>> would that change my *biological* race, may I humbly ask?
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> It's just that, Historically, Jews and Hebrews seem to be synonymous. :-)
> I guess that no longer applies in modern times...

You might better be able to explain it Om if you mention that the Middle
Eastern people, before the Diaspora, were mostly all Semitic, the same
folks for Jews, Christians, and Muslims. Nowadays there are people of
each religion from all over the world. There are Ethiopian Jews, Chinese
Jews, and there are Caucasian Muslims from the former USSR as well as
Chinese, African, and other races that are Muslim. Even the oriental
religions have converts from other races than the pure Asiatic strain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:29:50 -0500:

>If you can get hold of the greens from the Tokyo Cross turnip you might
>change your mind.

<clipping>
>The Tokyo Cross turnips are pure white and the greens are tender and
>delicious.

Enthusiasts for greens have been trying for untold years to change my
mind. All cooked greens, including spinach, taste and feel like
overcooked cabbage to me. Cabbage itself is not bad if cooked for four
or five minutes as are Brussels Sprouts.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 3/27/2010 12:23 PM, Omelet wrote:

> >> And I disagree with you somewhat<eg>
> >>
> >> To quote your source: "Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within
> >> the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed
> >> into the Jewish people throughout the millennia."
> >>
> >> So... if I decided to convert to Judaism tomorrow, for example, how
> >> would that change my *biological* race, may I humbly ask?
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Chatty Cathy

> > It's just that, Historically, Jews and Hebrews seem to be synonymous. :-)
> > I guess that no longer applies in modern times...

> You might better be able to explain it Om if you mention that the Middle
> Eastern people, before the Diaspora, were mostly all Semitic, the same
> folks for Jews, Christians, and Muslims. Nowadays there are people of
> each religion from all over the world. There are Ethiopian Jews, Chinese
> Jews, and there are Caucasian Muslims from the former USSR as well as
> Chinese, African, and other races that are Muslim. Even the oriental
> religions have converts from other races than the pure Asiatic strain.

Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
> > I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
> > terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
> > certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
> > out there

> I disagree with this somewhat. While Muslim is a religion only, not an
> ethnicity, Jewish most certainly is:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews>
>
> I guess you could switch the term to "Hebrew".

That might work, but the first line of your cite says:

"For the Jewish way of life, including religion, law, culture, and
philosophy, see Judaism."

Nothing is simple, is it?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > ChattyCathy > wrote:
> >
> > > I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
> > > terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
> > > certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
> > > out there

> > I disagree with this somewhat. While Muslim is a religion only, not an
> > ethnicity, Jewish most certainly is:
> >
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews>
> >
> > I guess you could switch the term to "Hebrew".

> That might work, but the first line of your cite says:
>
> "For the Jewish way of life, including religion, law, culture, and
> philosophy, see Judaism."
>
> Nothing is simple, is it?

Never is. ;-) And Wiki' is subjective anyway since it's authorship is
not restricted.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2010 1:36 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> If you can get hold of the greens from the Tokyo Cross turnip you might
>> change your mind. I never liked the purple top greens and still won't
>> eat the root (I'm worse than Barb is about beets)unless it is pickled,
>> which I like right well, or raw, which I also like. Cooked turnips
>> always taste bad to me. The Tokyo Cross turnips are pure white and the
>> greens are tender and delicious.

> I'll have to look for those just for grins. It is indeed the tough
> texture that I don't care for.
>
> I love beet greens!

Then you would truly love Swiss Chard and it will grow quite easily in a
flower bed where you live.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2010 1:40 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> George wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:29:50 -0500:
>
>> If you can get hold of the greens from the Tokyo Cross turnip you
>> might change your mind.

> <clipping>
>> The Tokyo Cross turnips are pure white and the greens are tender and
>> delicious.

> Enthusiasts for greens have been trying for untold years to change my
> mind. All cooked greens, including spinach, taste and feel like
> overcooked cabbage to me. Cabbage itself is not bad if cooked for four
> or five minutes as are Brussels Sprouts.

Did you ever try to lightly steam the cabbage? I much prefer that to the
cooked in water type. Little butter, some fresh ground black pepper,
tastes good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:49:37 -0500:

> On 3/27/2010 1:40 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>> George wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:29:50 -0500:
>>
>>> If you can get hold of the greens from the Tokyo Cross
>>> turnip you might change your mind.

>> <clipping>
>>> The Tokyo Cross turnips are pure white and the greens are
>>> tender and delicious.

>> Enthusiasts for greens have been trying for untold years to
>> change my mind. All cooked greens, including spinach, taste
>> and feel like overcooked cabbage to me. Cabbage itself is not
>> bad if cooked for four or five minutes as are Brussels
>> Sprouts.

>Did you ever try to lightly steam the cabbage? I much prefer that to
>the cooked in water type. Little butter, some fresh ground black
>pepper, tastes good.

You could be right but a short boiling session seems to work quite well.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 3/27/2010 1:36 PM, Omelet wrote:
> > In >,
> > George > wrote:
> >
> >> If you can get hold of the greens from the Tokyo Cross turnip you might
> >> change your mind. I never liked the purple top greens and still won't
> >> eat the root (I'm worse than Barb is about beets)unless it is pickled,
> >> which I like right well, or raw, which I also like. Cooked turnips
> >> always taste bad to me. The Tokyo Cross turnips are pure white and the
> >> greens are tender and delicious.

> > I'll have to look for those just for grins. It is indeed the tough
> > texture that I don't care for.
> >
> > I love beet greens!

> Then you would truly love Swiss Chard and it will grow quite easily in a
> flower bed where you live.

I adore Swiss Chard. It's my #1 favorite leafy green. Beet greens are
second and fresh spinach is #3. It's the "hard"greens I don't care for.
Collards, Turnip, Kale, etc.

I even use Radish greens. They are fine.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I adore Swiss Chard. It's my #1 favorite leafy green.

I picked up some lovely rainbow chard today. It seems to be a weekly
staple for us. It doesn't last long in this house!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron wrote:

> there are many, many sects within each of these two religions, just as
> there are within Christianity. Each of these sects believes, of course,
> that it is the One True Path and they all differ greatly in a lot more
> ways than dietary habits.

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge,
about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!" "Why
shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said,
"Like what?" I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?" He said,
"Religious." I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?" He said,
"Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?" He said,
"Protestant." I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?" He said,
"Baptist!" I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist
church of the lord?" He said, "Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are
you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of
god?" He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you
reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist
church of god, reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed baptist church of
god, reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.

--- Emo Phillips

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > I adore Swiss Chard. It's my #1 favorite leafy green.

> I picked up some lovely rainbow chard today. It seems to be a weekly
> staple for us. It doesn't last long in this house!
>
> --Lin

It is best cooked fresh. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:59:40 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
> terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
> certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
> out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
> agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
> certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.

but wait, isn't atheism illegal, or at least immoral?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:21:17 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:59:40 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>

>>I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
>>terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
>>certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
>>out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
>>agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
>>certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.

> And more importantly, there are many, many sects within each of these
> two religions, just as there are within Christianity. Each of these
> sects believes, of course, that it is the One True Path and they all
> differ greatly in a lot more ways than dietary habits.
>
> Boron

i hear there are jews who eat only nitrite-free bacon.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:25:01 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:56:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mar 26, 2:00*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy

>>"No opinion" or "No knowledge" should have been answer options. It
>>was difficult to answer and probably skewed the results.
>>
>>And what or who defines a 'good' Muslim, Catholic etc.? Could be
>>debated ad nauseam.

> Greg never had a problem defining a 'good' muslim.

the same way a nazi would define a queer or a jew. funny, that.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:37:46 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>
>> Indeed. I even know some Christian people whose sect (as you so aptly
>> put it) don't believe in eating pork either.

> In fact, for those who are strict Biblical literalists, it says pretty
> clearly in the Bible, in the Old Testament (Leviticus 11), no pork, no
> shellfish. So, all Christians either need to give up pork and
> shellfish, or figure out a way to weasel around what the Bible clearly
> says.

god must have been a picky eater when he was young.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2010 2:00 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Well, I chose Porterhouse although I equally prefer Delmonico (which I
guess is the ribeye). But I usually buy the Porterhouse as it is
slightly less expensive. Only buy steak once every couple of years.
Can't really afford it. Damn.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2010 2:00 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Oops! Just realized I got the wrong survey.
My answer was, of course, to the previous survey
about steaks.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 5:59*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:

> I can't help but get the feeling that some people think of the
> terms "Jewish" and "Muslim" as if they were the names of
> certain 'races'. They're not. They're just two of the many religions
> out there - and one is free to switch to another religion, become
> agnostic or even become an atheist if one thinks that the doctrine of
> certain religion(s) is unacceptable to them.

I was busy prepping for Passover when this came up, and didn't see it
until today. There are plenty of people of any religion who don't
follow the laws and precepts of their faith.

Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, and no doubt other faiths
include dietary restrictions as part of their codes. In today's
world, where food is diced, sliced, and purified to the point where
it's source is not considered important by the governments, those
dietary restrictions can cause serious problems for those faithful.

Examples: Gelatin: made from (I'm told) largely pig skin and bones,
as well as horse and cattle.
Glycerine: animal or vegetable sources
Twinkies: Beef fat or hydrogenated vegetable oils
Surimi: beef plasma, cochineal (sp?) from insects for color

Makes me consider the locavore/whole foods concept for what goes into
my cooking.

maxine in ri