Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default any cooking spray as good as Canola?

The original non-stick cooking spray was canola oil. Sprayed onto a
frying-pan surface it performs superbly to prevent the food from
sticking.

Alas, canola oil (the oil from a rapeseed that has been bred to lose
its poisonous nature) is copping some bad press these days and is
being blamed in part for the increasing incidence of macular
degeneration (a form of eyesight loss) as we age.

Olive oil enjoys high praise for its healthy nature, and is marketed
in a handy pressure pack. But its non-stick quality is way inferior to
that of canola oil, not anywhere near as good. I'm wondering whether
anyone here has found a cooking spray oil that performs as well in the
non-stick stakes as does canola oil. (Cooking small cubes of tofu is
a frypan a good test of a non-stick spray!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Savage" > wrote in message
> The original non-stick cooking spray was canola oil. Sprayed onto a
> frying-pan surface it performs superbly to prevent the food from
> sticking.
>
> Alas, canola oil (the oil from a rapeseed that has been bred to lose
> its poisonous nature) is copping some bad press these days and is
> being blamed in part for the increasing incidence of macular
> degeneration (a form of eyesight loss) as we age.
>
> Olive oil enjoys high praise for its healthy nature, and is marketed
> in a handy pressure pack. But its non-stick quality is way inferior to
> that of canola oil, not anywhere near as good. I'm wondering whether
> anyone here has found a cooking spray oil that performs as well in the
> non-stick stakes as does canola oil. (Cooking small cubes of tofu is
> a frypan a good test of a non-stick spray!)
> --
> John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

What source[s] say that? Sometimes what hits the press can be pretty naive.
The amount of any fat in a single spray of PAM is so small that it's hard to
imagine that it could do anything caustic. Deep frying is another story.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
John Savage > wrote:

> The original non-stick cooking spray was canola oil. Sprayed onto a
> frying-pan surface it performs superbly to prevent the food from
> sticking.
>
> Alas, canola oil (the oil from a rapeseed that has been bred to lose
> its poisonous nature) is copping some bad press these days and is
> being blamed in part for the increasing incidence of macular
> degeneration (a form of eyesight loss) as we age.
>
> Olive oil enjoys high praise for its healthy nature, and is marketed
> in a handy pressure pack. But its non-stick quality is way inferior to
> that of canola oil, not anywhere near as good. I'm wondering whether
> anyone here has found a cooking spray oil that performs as well in the
> non-stick stakes as does canola oil. (Cooking small cubes of tofu is
> a frypan a good test of a non-stick spray!)

Grape seed oil.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy