Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ms. Schaller's Nicer-Roni

Tonight I made Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ's
Nicer-Roni. To say it's Nicer is an understatement.
What a treat.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2rqyf7c.jpg

I had to substitute the dried basil with marjoram, and the vermicelli
with whole wheat angel hair pasta, and the white rice with brown rice.
Believe it or not, it turned out absolutely wonderful.
Something I will definitely make again, and again.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Mom's Nicer-Roni

grains, side dish

2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried onions, ground in a mortar an; d pestle
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon celery leaves
1/4 cup vermicelli, broken into; small pieces
3/4 cup long grain white rice

Combine the first group of ingredients and set aside.

In a large skillet, melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter and add the rice
and
vermicelli. Stir over medium-high heat until vermicelli browns.
Sprinkle over the dry mixture and add 2 cups hot water (it will steam
and sputter, so be careful). Cover and cook over low heat for about
12-15 minutes until rice is tender.

Serving Size:
Recipe By: Barb Schaller

Or for mo

Mom's Nicer-Roni Seasoning - 10 pkgs

Recipe By:
8 1/3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
3 1/3 tablespoons dried onions, ground in a mortar and pestle
3 1/3 tablespoons dried parsley
1 2/3 tablespoons dried basil
1 2/3 tablespoons dried thyme
1 2/3 tablespoons celery leaf, ground (from George Shirley)

Combine. Use 2 tablespoons for 2 cups rice, 3 tablespoons broken
vermicelli or other small pasta, and 2-1/4 cups water.
I made kits for Chris and Jamie for Christmas 2004. They loved it.
It's good and not nearly as salty as Rice-A-Roni. I powder the dried
onions because SIL is peculiar.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - updated 3-30-2009

Notes: Barb Schaller

Yield: 4 servings

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 03/21/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> Tonight I made Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ's
> Nicer-Roni. To say it's Nicer is an understatement.
> What a treat.
> http://i43.tinypic.com/2rqyf7c.jpg
>
> I had to substitute the dried basil with marjoram, and the vermicelli
> with whole wheat angel hair pasta, and the white rice with brown rice.
> Believe it or not, it turned out absolutely wonderful.
> Something I will definitely make again, and again.

<snipped>

> koko

Looks and sounds quite yummy. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> Tonight I made Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ's
> Nicer-Roni. To say it's Nicer is an understatement.
> What a treat.
> http://i43.tinypic.com/2rqyf7c.jpg
>
> I had to substitute the dried basil with marjoram, and the vermicelli
> with whole wheat angel hair pasta, and the white rice with brown rice.
> Believe it or not, it turned out absolutely wonderful.
> Something I will definitely make again, and again.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Mom's Nicer-Roni
>
> grains, side dish

(snip recipes)

Glad you liked it. Would you believe that SIL LOVED it but wouldn't
make his own because it was too much bother to break up the vermicelli?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Angel Hair Pasta with Mushrooms and Artichokes,
Marcy 22, 2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> koko > wrote:
>
>> Tonight I made Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ's
>> Nicer-Roni. To say it's Nicer is an understatement.
>> What a treat.
>> http://i43.tinypic.com/2rqyf7c.jpg
>>
>> I had to substitute the dried basil with marjoram, and the vermicelli
>> with whole wheat angel hair pasta, and the white rice with brown rice.
>> Believe it or not, it turned out absolutely wonderful.
>> Something I will definitely make again, and again.
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Mom's Nicer-Roni
>>
>> grains, side dish

> (snip recipes)
>
> Glad you liked it. Would you believe that SIL LOVED it but wouldn't
> make his own because it was too much bother to break up the vermicelli?
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Angel Hair Pasta with Mushrooms and Artichokes,
> Marcy 22, 2010

He could substitute orzo... :-)

Joe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Joe Pak" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Glad you liked it. Would you believe that SIL LOVED it but wouldn't
> > make his own because it was too much bother to break up the vermicelli?
> >
> > --
> > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> He could substitute orzo... :-)
>
> Joe

I know, Joe. I know.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Angel Hair Pasta with Mushrooms and Artichokes,
Marcy 22, 2010

Making Rice-a-Roni No Name General Cooking 13 10-03-2010 02:41 AM
nicer dicer ϊΟΜΟΤΟΚ λΜΟΞ General Cooking 0 05-04-2008 12:02 PM
Nicer Dicer Emrys Davies General Cooking 6 02-11-2006 10:39 PM
Nicer Dicer elaine General Cooking 4 18-04-2006 03:42 AM
Beans a roni and cheese Julie Bove Diabetic 0 14-01-2005 12:28 AM