Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hand-stretched Chinese noodles

Hi everybody:

Saw a Tony Bourdain episode from Sichuan province in China awhile back where
they made hand-stretched noodles, so I decided to go on a mission to find
some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle King in Chinatown here
in Seattle is the only place I could find in the Northwest that has the real
deal... and the
search was absolutely worth the effort. I finally found them through the
fine folks over at the MSG150.com blog.

Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and filmed
the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough that I
decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.

Hopefully they'll raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this part
of
the world, which can only be a good thing.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:31:11 -0800, Curt Nelson wrote:

> Hi everybody:
>
> Saw a Tony Bourdain episode from Sichuan province in China awhile back
> where they made hand-stretched noodles, so I decided to go on a mission
> to find some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle King in
> Chinatown here in Seattle is the only place I could find in the
> Northwest that has the real deal... and the
> search was absolutely worth the effort. I finally found them through the
> fine folks over at the MSG150.com blog.
>
> Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and
> filmed the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool
> enough that I decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for
> others.
>
> Hopefully they'll raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this
> part of
> the world, which can only be a good thing.
>
> Here's the link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Wouldn't it be easier to just make those noodles yourself?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" > wrote:

> mission to find some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle
> King in Chinatown here in Seattle is the only place I could find in
> the Northwest that has the real deal... and the search was absolutely
> worth the effort. I finally found them through the fine folks over at
> the MSG150.com blog.

> Here's the link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Okay, now indulge my ignorance: How are they used? In what dishes are
they typical? I love noodles and that is a fascinating process to
watch; thank you for shooting and posting.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Robert Cheval > wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:31:11 -0800, Curt Nelson wrote:
> > Here's the link:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
> >
> > Hasta,
> > Curt Nelson

> Wouldn't it be easier to just make those noodles yourself?

<Barb smacks Robert upside the haid>

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Gumbo 3-11-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Curt Nelson" > wrote:
>
>> mission to find some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle
>> King in Chinatown here in Seattle is the only place I could find in
>> the Northwest that has the real deal... and the search was absolutely
>> worth the effort. I finally found them through the fine folks over at
>> the MSG150.com blog.

>> Here's the link:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
>>
>> Hasta,
>> Curt Nelson

> Okay, now indulge my ignorance: How are they used? In what dishes are
> they typical? I love noodles and that is a fascinating process to
> watch; thank you for shooting and posting.

They're mainly used in noodle soups. Although cold noodle dishes are
available, I haven't tried any yet. Their spicy seafood noodle soup has
prawns, mussels and squid in it, while there are various permutations of
pork noodle soups and the occasional Korean dish, like noodles and spicy
pork in black bean sauce, which is dynamite.

It sure was cool to finally get to see the real deal in action. I hope other
noodle places here in Seattle feel the heat and up their game.

The MSG150.com people are awesome. It's three office coworkers who decided
to tackle every restaurant in the International District for lunch and
review each one. They're up to #87 with no end in sight...

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2010 11:52 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> "Curt > wrote:
>
>> mission to find some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle
>> King in Chinatown here in Seattle is the only place I could find in
>> the Northwest that has the real deal... and the search was absolutely
>> worth the effort. I finally found them through the fine folks over at
>> the MSG150.com blog.

>> Here's the link:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
>>
>> Hasta,
>> Curt Nelson

> Okay, now indulge my ignorance: How are they used? In what dishes are
> they typical? I love noodles and that is a fascinating process to
> watch; thank you for shooting and posting.

Not Curt but I love the texture of hand pulled noodles. They are most
commonly served in soups and next with a sauce. Here are some good
photos from the menu at a place I like in NYC Chinatown II (and recently
opened a branch in Chinatown I in the location of what was the best Banh
Mi shop in Manhattan:

http://xianfoods.com/menu.php?c=5

My favorite is the "Savory Cumin Lamb Hand-Pulled Noodles in Soup"

Then the other versions:

http://xianfoods.com/menu.php?c=4

My favorite is the "Savory Cumin Lamb Hand-Pulled Noodles".

The noodles are like 1000x better than those "instant ramen" pack things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

> Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and filmed
> the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough that I
> decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.
>

> Here's the link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU

Wow, that's SO amazing, much cooler than pizza crust tossing. Imagine
the shoulder and triceps muscles that guy must have.

Does all that stretching make the noodles very chewy?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert Cheval wrote:

> Wouldn't it be easier to just make those noodles yourself?

Watch the YouTube and then define "easier".

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:31:11 -0800, Curt Nelson wrote:

> Hi everybody:
>
> Saw a Tony Bourdain episode from Sichuan province in China awhile back where
> they made hand-stretched noodles, so I decided to go on a mission to find
> some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle King in Chinatown here
> in Seattle is the only place I could find in the Northwest that has the real
> deal... and the
> search was absolutely worth the effort. I finally found them through the
> fine folks over at the MSG150.com blog.
>
> Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and filmed
> the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough that I
> decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.
>
> Hopefully they'll raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this part
> of
> the world, which can only be a good thing.
>
> Here's the link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

very clear video, curt. nice shooting.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's wrote on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:52:05 -0500:

>> mission to find some myself. After a helluva lot of
>> searching, Noodle King in Chinatown here in Seattle is the
>> only place I could find in the Northwest that has the real
>> deal... and the search was absolutely worth the effort. I
>> finally found them through the fine folks over at the
>> MSG150.com blog.

>> Here's the link:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
>>
>> Hasta,
>> Curt Nelson

> Okay, now indulge my ignorance: How are they used? In what dishes
> are
> they typical? I love noodles and that is a fascinating
> process to watch; thank you for shooting and posting.

I don't know much about them but there used to be a good Vietnamese
restaurant in Rockville, sadly gone, where the chef would come out and
hand stretch the noodles for Pho. It was fascinating to watch and always
provoked much applause.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 14, 7:52 am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

> Okay, now indulge my ignorance: How are they used? In what dishes are
> they typical? I love noodles and that is a fascinating process to
> watch; thank you for shooting and posting.

Here's a story from last year in the L.A. Times about a couple of the
noodle joints in the San Gabriel Valley. It'll give you a little more
background. As the story implies, people will argue (in a friendly
way) about which noodles go best with soup and which go better covered
with a sauce of some kind. The key seems to be that if you find a
place that cares enough to showcase making their own then they're
going to know how to serve them. We certainly have never yet been
disappointed. -aem
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/22/food/fo-find22
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:31:11 -0800, Curt Nelson wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody:
> >
> > Saw a Tony Bourdain episode from Sichuan province in China awhile back
> > where
> > they made hand-stretched noodles, so I decided to go on a mission to find
> > some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle King in Chinatown
> > here
> > in Seattle is the only place I could find in the Northwest that has the
> > real
> > deal... and the
> > search was absolutely worth the effort. I finally found them through the
> > fine folks over at the MSG150.com blog.
> >
> > Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and filmed
> > the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough that I
> > decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.
> >
> > Hopefully they'll raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this
> > part
> > of
> > the world, which can only be a good thing.
> >
> > Here's the link:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
> >
> > Hasta,
> > Curt Nelson

> very clear video, curt. nice shooting.
>
> your pal,
> blake

It was excellent. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> > Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and filmed
> > the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough that I
> > decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.
> >
> > Hopefully they'll raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this
> > part
> > of
> > the world, which can only be a good thing.
> >
> > Here's the link:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU
> >
> > Hasta,
> > Curt Nelson

> very clear video, curt. nice shooting.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Also a great choice of music to match the action. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:

>> Also a great choice of music to match the action. :-)

> --
> Peace! Om

I was wondering if anyone would notice that I ripped off Gordon Ramsay's
music...

:-)

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > blake murphy > wrote:

> >> Also a great choice of music to match the action. :-)

> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I was wondering if anyone would notice that I ripped off Gordon Ramsay's
> music...
>
> :-)
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Who cares? <g> It was a good fit.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-14, Curt Nelson > wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone would notice that I ripped off Gordon Ramsay's
> music...

Yep. Took me awhile to figure out what it was, not being a GR F-Word
watcher. Catchy tune. The F-Word by Babybird.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-14, Curt Nelson > wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone would notice that I ripped off Gordon Ramsay's
> music...

Yep. Took me awhile to figure out what it was, not being a GR F-Word
watcher. Catchy tune. The F-Word by Babybird.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-14, Curt Nelson > wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone would notice that I ripped off Gordon Ramsay's
> music...

Yep. Took me awhile to figure out what it was, not being a GR F-Word
watcher. Catchy tune. The F-Word by Babybird.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt posted:

> Saw a Tony Bourdain episode from Sichuan province in China awhile back
> where they made hand-stretched noodles, so I decided to go on a mission to
> find some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle King in
> Chinatown here in Seattle is the only place I could find in the Northwest
> that has the real deal... and the search was absolutely worth the effort.
> I finally found them through the fine folks over at the MSG150.com blog.
>
> Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and
> filmed the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough
> that I decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.
>
> Hopefully they'll raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this
> part of the world, which can only be a good thing.
>
> Here's the link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU

Years ago I watched an episode of "Yan Can Cook" where the guest chef made
noodles like that. The kicker was that after the guest had made the noodles,
a member of the audience was invited up to the stage to give it a try. Now
THAT was pretty comical.

Thanks for the post. I might have to make a trip to the Bay Area to seek out
noodles like that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Curt posted:
>
>> Saw a Tony Bourdain episode from Sichuan province in China awhile back
>> where they made hand-stretched noodles, so I decided to go on a mission to
>> find some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle King in
>> Chinatown here in Seattle is the only place I could find in the Northwest
>> that has the real deal... and the search was absolutely worth the effort.
>> I finally found them through the fine folks over at the MSG150.com blog.
>>
>> Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and
>> filmed the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough
>> that I decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.
>>
>> Hopefully they'll raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this
>> part of the world, which can only be a good thing.
>>
>> Here's the link:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU

That ancient method was used for thousands of years only because the
low IQ Shmoozlin Chinks weren't mechanically inclined enough to figure
out how to form noodles by the extrusion method.... took the guineas
to do that... one thing about the Italians is they have the best
toolmakers.... hey, shadrool... even the pope he didn't ask Michael
Angelo whena hesa gonna finish painting the chapel ceiling. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2010 11:44 PM, brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Curt posted:
>>
>>> Saw a Tony Bourdain episode from Sichuan province in China awhile back
>>> where they made hand-stretched noodles, so I decided to go on a mission to
>>> find some myself. After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle King in
>>> Chinatown here in Seattle is the only place I could find in the Northwest
>>> that has the real deal... and the search was absolutely worth the effort.
>>> I finally found them through the fine folks over at the MSG150.com blog.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and
>>> filmed the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough
>>> that I decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.
>>>
>>> Hopefully they'll raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this
>>> part of the world, which can only be a good thing.
>>>
>>> Here's the link:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hCcBvDB5xU

> That ancient method was used for thousands of years only because the
> low IQ Shmoozlin Chinks weren't mechanically inclined enough to figure
> out how to form noodles by the extrusion method.... took the guineas
> to do that... one thing about the Italians is they have the best
> toolmakers.... hey, shadrool... even the pope he didn't ask Michael
> Angelo whena hesa gonna finish painting the chapel ceiling. LOL

Good old racist Shelden jumps in with his usual totally clueless
opinions...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Years ago I watched an episode of "Yan Can Cook" where the guest chef made
> noodles like that. The kicker was that after the guest had made the noodles,
> a member of the audience was invited up to the stage to give it a try. Now
> THAT was pretty comical.

I remember watching a Food TV or maybe Travel Channel show where they
showed some guy doing the hand pulled noodles. I remember the announcer
stating the "amazing fact" that he always produced "exactly 1024 noodles."
Apparently, the writers and producers never heard of binary progression,
or thought nobody would know why.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:29:26 -0400, George wrote:

> On 3/14/2010 11:44 PM, brooklyn1 wrote:
>>

>>> Curt posted:

>> That ancient method was used for thousands of years only because the
>> low IQ Shmoozlin Chinks weren't mechanically inclined enough to figure
>> out how to form noodles by the extrusion method.... took the guineas
>> to do that... one thing about the Italians is they have the best
>> toolmakers.... hey, shadrool... even the pope he didn't ask Michael
>> Angelo whena hesa gonna finish painting the chapel ceiling. LOL

> Good old racist Shelden jumps in with his usual totally clueless
> opinions...

sheldon really is a piece of work. too bad there were no quality control
inspectors.

your pal,
blake