Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coconut shrimp = not fried shrimp w/coconut in batter

We love the coconut shrimp we get at the Asian Buffets. It is a white
creamy sauce, slightly translucent(like it was thickened with corn
starch instead of flour), and quite sweet. I'm pretty sure I can come
up with the sauce, but how are they cooking the shrimp that go in it?
In the sauce? It doesn't seem like it, as there is no shrimp color in
it.
Does anyone have any good ideas?? Thanks for your help.
Nan in DE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:
> We love the coconut shrimp we get at the Asian Buffets. It is a white
> creamy sauce, slightly translucent(like it was thickened with corn
> starch instead of flour), and quite sweet. I'm pretty sure I can come
> up with the sauce, but how are they cooking the shrimp that go in it?
> In the sauce? It doesn't seem like it, as there is no shrimp color in
> it.
> Does anyone have any good ideas?? Thanks for your help.
> Nan in DE

They could be throwing cooked shrimp into the sauce to heat it up.

The best coconut shrimp dish that I ever had was in a local restaurant.
The shrimp was breaded with a coconut mixture and fried. The sauce was
mad with balsamic vinegar, marmalade and mustard (powder). It was delicious,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 11:51*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Nan wrote:
> > We love the coconut shrimp we get at the Asian Buffets. It is a white
> > creamy sauce, slightly translucent(like it was thickened with corn
> > starch instead of flour), and quite sweet. *I'm pretty sure I can come
> > up with the sauce, but how are they cooking the shrimp that go in it?
> > In the sauce? *It doesn't seem like it, as there is no shrimp color in
> > it.
> > Does anyone have any good ideas?? Thanks for your help.
> > Nan in DE

> They could be throwing cooked shrimp into the sauce to heat it up.
>
> The best coconut shrimp dish that I ever had was in a local restaurant.
> The shrimp was breaded with a coconut mixture and fried. The sauce was
> mad with balsamic vinegar, marmalade and mustard (powder). It was delicious,

Sounds great, and we love that too.
I am contemplating grilling the shrimp first, it may give it a more
shrimpy flavor. And you may be correct about the cooked shrimp. There
are no bits of 'stuff' in the sauce, completely white & thick.
I'll be trying that sauce for sure. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:
> We love the coconut shrimp we get at the Asian Buffets. It is a white
> creamy sauce, slightly translucent(like it was thickened with corn
> starch instead of flour), and quite sweet. I'm pretty sure I can come
> up with the sauce, but how are they cooking the shrimp that go in it?
> In the sauce? It doesn't seem like it, as there is no shrimp color in
> it.
> Does anyone have any good ideas?? Thanks for your help.
> Nan in DE

Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste of India has a recipe for shrimp in a sauce with
coconut milk. Basically, you make the sauce, then add the peeled and
deveined shrimp and cook it briefly in it until done. That is the normal
method in Southeast Asian recipes. The shrimp is not cooked separately.

I can't quite envision the sauce you describe, but I would sugggest using
thick coconut milk if you can find it and simmering it to reduce rather than
adding a thickening agent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste of India has a recipe for shrimp in a sauce with
> coconut milk. Basically, you make the sauce, then add the peeled and
> deveined shrimp and cook it briefly in it until done. That is the normal
> method in Southeast Asian recipes. The shrimp is not cooked separately.
>
> I can't quite envision the sauce you describe, but I would sugggest using
> thick coconut milk if you can find it and simmering it to reduce rather than
> adding a thickening agent.

I recipe for curried chicken in coconut milk. Basically, you add oil to
a pan, stir in some curry paste and cook it for a while, then toss in
onion, stir it around for a few minutes, then red pepper strips and thin
slices of chicken. When the chicken is pretty well cooked you add the
coconut milk and bring it to a boil for a minute or two and it thickens
to a nice sauce. Add cilanto.

Not exactly what you were talking about in terms of a shrimp dish, but
the point is that the coconut quickly boils down to a sauce. I would
have no problem adding the shrimp to the boiling coconut milk and by the
time the sauce was right the shrimp would be done. They only need to
boil for a minute or two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks all, my recipe needed a little tweaking, but tasted great.
Needs a little more sugar, and to cook down, it was a little thin.
Will try it your way without any thickening agent, and cooked down
with the raw shrimp.
I love that I can always get answers here.
Nan in DE

Coconut Shrimp Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 11 22-07-2011 07:18 AM
Coconut Shrimp Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 1 17-08-2010 08:55 PM
Coconut Fried Shrimp with Jalapeno Jelly MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 08-05-2006 03:50 AM
Coconut and Macadamia Fried Shrimp with Marinated Cucumbers Preston Pittman Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2006 11:49 AM
Rum and Coconut Shrimp Preston Pittman Recipes (moderated) 0 20-12-2005 03:03 AM