Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baked Bean Sandwich

Any baked beans will do. Cold, with ketchup, on whatever bread turns you on.

Loved 'em when I was a kid. Haven't had one in ages.

Guess I'll go raid the fridge!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> Any baked beans will do. Cold, with ketchup, on whatever bread turns you
> on.
>
> Loved 'em when I was a kid. Haven't had one in ages.
>
> Guess I'll go raid the fridge!

Better with a sprinkling of vinegar, salt and pepper. Now I'll have to make
beans just so I can have the sandwich.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline > wrote in
:

> Any baked beans will do. Cold, with ketchup, on whatever bread turns you
> on.
>
> Loved 'em when I was a kid. Haven't had one in ages.
>
> Guess I'll go raid the fridge!

Our baked beans already come with a sauce.

http://www.heinz.com.au/Food/fooddet...rodCat=Wattie%
27s&ProdRangeTitle=WATTIE%27S+Baked+Beans&keyword= Baked+Beans+in+Tomato+Sauce

http://tinyurl.com/ydq8lrq

And as much as I hate to say it, I prefer the Watties (Kiwi brand) to the
Australian brands.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.

Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 19:38:58 -0700, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>Any baked beans will do. Cold, with ketchup, on whatever bread turns you on.
>
>Loved 'em when I was a kid. Haven't had one in ages.
>
>Guess I'll go raid the fridge!

For me, baked bean sandwiches sound so much better than they are. My
grandfather used to wax prolific about them. He also made the *best*
homemade baked beans, so we'd beg to have a baked bean sandwich for
lunch the following day and I was always disappointed. Even now,
you're making me jones for one, but I know I'll be disappointed.
Arrrugh - quelle horreur, what a dilemma! What bread do you suggest?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have to admit that, when I was in college, and often severely strapped
for money, I partook of baked bean sandwiches. Since canned baked beans
were a staple of my diet, making sandwiches was my strategy for reusing
leftovers, and adding variety (!) to my meals.

--
Julian Vrieslander

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> For me, baked bean sandwiches sound so much better than they are. My
> grandfather used to wax prolific about them. He also made the *best*
> homemade baked beans, so we'd beg to have a baked bean sandwich for
> lunch the following day and I was always disappointed. Even now,
> you're making me jones for one, but I know I'll be disappointed.
> Arrrugh - quelle horreur, what a dilemma! What bread do you suggest?

I've never given much thought to baked bean sandwiches, but now that the
topic has been raised, I think I'd rather have something with some crunch,
like baked bean flautas. (Of course, I've never HAD baked bean flautas, so I
could be completely wrong about that.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>sf wrote:
>
>> For me, baked bean sandwiches sound so much better than they are. My
>> grandfather used to wax prolific about them. He also made the *best*
>> homemade baked beans, so we'd beg to have a baked bean sandwich for
>> lunch the following day and I was always disappointed. Even now,
>> you're making me jones for one, but I know I'll be disappointed.
>> Arrrugh - quelle horreur, what a dilemma! What bread do you suggest?

>I've never given much thought to baked bean sandwiches, but now that the
>topic has been raised, I think I'd rather have something with some crunch,
>like baked bean flautas. (Of course, I've never HAD baked bean flautas, so I
>could be completely wrong about that.)

Baked beans don't need flautas (nor even bread) to ensure flatulence.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian wrote on Thu, 07 Jan 2010 23:58:34 -0800:

> I have to admit that, when I was in college, and often
> severely strapped for money, I partook of baked bean
> sandwiches. Since canned baked beans were a staple of my
> diet, making sandwiches was my strategy for reusing leftovers,
> and adding variety (!) to my meals.

I tend to regard baked bean and also Cheerio sandwiches as weird British
(and New Zealand) aberrations these days but I'll admit that I quite
enjoyed baked beans on toast as a child in Britain.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 7, 8:38*pm, Pennyaline > wrote:
> Any baked beans will do. Cold, with ketchup, on whatever bread turns you on.
>
> Loved 'em when I was a kid. Haven't had one in ages.
>
> Guess I'll go raid the fridge!

I can eat cold baked beans, but would never, ever put them in a
sandwich and especially one with ketchup. I eat ketchup only in
meatloaf topping (disguised with brown sugar, mustard and W. sauce) or
on French fries. Otherwise, it's disgusting. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:23:58 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> For me, baked bean sandwiches sound so much better than they are. My
>> grandfather used to wax prolific about them. He also made the *best*
>> homemade baked beans, so we'd beg to have a baked bean sandwich for
>> lunch the following day and I was always disappointed. Even now,
>> you're making me jones for one, but I know I'll be disappointed.
>> Arrrugh - quelle horreur, what a dilemma! What bread do you suggest?

>I've never given much thought to baked bean sandwiches, but now that the
>topic has been raised, I think I'd rather have something with some crunch,
>like baked bean flautas. (Of course, I've never HAD baked bean flautas, so I
>could be completely wrong about that.)

Why don't you make some and get back to me with the result?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> like baked bean flautas. (Of course, I've never HAD baked bean flautas,
>> so I could be completely wrong about that.)
>>

> Why don't you make some and get back to me with the result?

Next time I find myself in the kitchen with baked beans, corn tortillas, and
burning curiosity about it, I just might!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 23:11:46 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>>> like baked bean flautas. (Of course, I've never HAD baked bean flautas,
>>> so I could be completely wrong about that.)
>>>

>> Why don't you make some and get back to me with the result?

>Next time I find myself in the kitchen with baked beans, corn tortillas, and
>burning curiosity about it, I just might!

HAH! Corn tortillas might just turn the tide of favor.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Simple baked beans between two slices of bread. 5 cents (Yes, 5 cents)
That was about 60 years ago at the New York State Fair. Sure was good. At
least to a hungry 10 year old.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying