Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "rum or brandy butter" for a pudding

I got a St. James pudding from a famous shop in London whose name I now
can0t recall, it's branded by the shop and instructions say to steam if for
45 minutes. Then they recommend to serve it along "rum or brandy butter".
What is this thing? Just some melted butter mixed with one of the two
liquors? That simple?
Should I serve it warm with the pudding?
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ffu ffu is offline

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:52:30 +0100, "ViLco" > wrote:

-->I got a St. James pudding from a famous shop in London whose name I now
-->can0t recall, it's branded by the shop and instructions say to steam if for
-->45 minutes. Then they recommend to serve it along "rum or brandy butter".
-->What is this thing? Just some melted butter mixed with one of the two
-->liquors? That simple?
-->Should I serve it warm with the pudding?

rum with the butter

-->Should I serve it warm with the pudding?

yes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 16 Dec 2009 04:52:30a, ViLco told us...
>
>> I got a St. James pudding from a famous shop in London whose name I
>> now can0t recall, it's branded by the shop and instructions say to
>> steam if for 45 minutes. Then they recommend to serve it along "rum
>> or brandy butter". What is this thing? Just some melted butter mixed
>> with one of the two liquors? That simple?
>> Should I serve it warm with the pudding?

> IMHO, what they are referring to is what we in the US call "Hard
> Sauce". Here is but one recipe...
>
> A hard sauce recipe for steamed pudding, bread pudding, or other
> desserts.
>
> .1/2 cup soft butter
> .1 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
> .2 tablespoons rum or brandy
>
> Cream butter with confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Stir
> in rum or brandy.
>
> Have at room temperature when serving with hot steamed pudding.

I agree that "hard sauce" is what they are suggesting.

Personally, I prefer to flame the steamed pudding with some brandy or navy
rum and serve it with lightly sweetened softly whipped cream that may have a
little rum added to it. (Does it go without saying that whipped cream from a
can or one of those fake creams is NOT acceptable? <G>)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Personally, I prefer to flame the steamed pudding with some brandy or navy
> rum and serve it with lightly sweetened softly whipped cream that may have
> a little rum added to it. (Does it go without saying that whipped cream
> from a can or one of those fake creams is NOT acceptable? <G>)

We like a sweet white rum sauce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Personally, I prefer to flame the steamed pudding with some brandy or navy
>> rum and serve it with lightly sweetened softly whipped cream that may have
>> a little rum added to it. (Does it go without saying that whipped cream
>> from a can or one of those fake creams is NOT acceptable? <G>)

> We like a sweet white rum sauce

We have it with a caramel sauce laced with brandy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Janet" > wrote:
>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 16 Dec 2009 04:52:30a, ViLco told us...
>>
>>> I got a St. James pudding from a famous shop in London whose name I
>>> now can0t recall, it's branded by the shop and instructions say to
>>> steam if for 45 minutes. Then they recommend to serve it along "rum
>>> or brandy butter". What is this thing? Just some melted butter mixed
>>> with one of the two liquors? That simple?
>>> Should I serve it warm with the pudding?

>> IMHO, what they are referring to is what we in the US call "Hard
>> Sauce". Here is but one recipe...
>>
>> A hard sauce recipe for steamed pudding, bread pudding, or other
>> desserts.
>>
>> .1/2 cup soft butter
>> .1 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
>> .2 tablespoons rum or brandy
>>
>> Cream butter with confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Stir
>> in rum or brandy.
>>
>> Have at room temperature when serving with hot steamed pudding.

>I agree that "hard sauce" is what they are suggesting.
>
>Personally, I prefer to flame the steamed pudding with some brandy or navy
>rum and serve it with lightly sweetened softly whipped cream that may have a
>little rum added to it.

Jeez, Jan, how can you say that? Brandy hard sauce is one of the
absolute delights of Christmas dinner! You can have cream with things
any time of the year. ("Even dog shit tastes good with cream" as the
sage once proclaimed. But it takes Xmas pud to bring out the
brandy hard sauce in even the most modest of homes. :-)

>(Does it go without saying that whipped cream from a
>can or one of those fake creams is NOT acceptable? <G>)

It has become bloody hard to get pure cream here in this part of Oz in
recent years. Nearly all the common lines now have that crap added to
make it "easier" to whip, and bugger the quality. :-(

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ffu ffu is offline

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:36:02 -0500, Dave Smith >
wrote:

-->Ophelia wrote:
-->> "Janet" > wrote in message
-->> ...
-->>> Personally, I prefer to flame the steamed pudding with some brandy or
navy
-->>> rum and serve it with lightly sweetened softly whipped cream that may
have
-->>> a little rum added to it. (Does it go without saying that whipped cream
-->>> from a can or one of those fake creams is NOT acceptable? <G>)
-->>
-->> We like a sweet white rum sauce
-->>
-->>
-->
-->We have it with a caramel sauce laced with brandy.

Sounds yummy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 16 Dec 2009 04:52:30a, ViLco told us...
>
> > I got a St. James pudding from a famous shop in London whose name I now
> > can0t recall, it's branded by the shop and instructions say to steam if
> > for 45 minutes. Then they recommend to serve it along "rum or brandy
> > butter". What is this thing? Just some melted butter mixed with one of
> > the two liquors? That simple?
> > Should I serve it warm with the pudding?

> IMHO, what they are referring to is what we in the US call "Hard Sauce".

My thought, too, Wayne.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/15/2009