Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Candied Ginger recipe?

A few years ago someone here posted a recipe for making
candied/crystallized ginger in a crockpot without the usual
steaming or precooking. It required cooking on low overnight
and contained just ginger, sugar, and water. Google hasn't
helped.

Does anyone here have the recipe saved? Would you be kind enough
to post it? It produced very tasty results.

Thanks in advance,

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> A few years ago someone here posted a recipe for making
> candied/crystallized ginger in a crockpot without the usual
> steaming or precooking. It required cooking on low overnight
> and contained just ginger, sugar, and water. Google hasn't
> helped.
>
> Does anyone here have the recipe saved? Would you be kind enough to post
> it? It produced very tasty results.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> gloria p

Try here for crystallized ginger:

http://www.premiersystems.com/recipe...crystaled.html

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:41:34 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>A few years ago someone here posted a recipe for making
>candied/crystallized ginger in a crockpot without the usual
>steaming or precooking. It required cooking on low overnight
>and contained just ginger, sugar, and water. Google hasn't
>helped.
>
>Does anyone here have the recipe saved? Would you be kind enough
>to post it? It produced very tasty results.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>gloria p

Cyndi Hackett posted a few different versions like 6-7 years ago.
This is the one I saved and use. The syrup is great in a marinade
too.

1 lb fresh ginger
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
Crockpot or slowcooker
more sugar for coating

Peel and slice the ginger. I like 1/4" dice which are great for
baking and nibbling. Mix sugar, water and corn syrup and heat in
crockpot on high until dissolved. Add ginger, and reduce heat to low
for 24 hours, until syrup is a golden brown. Allow to cool in syrup,
then drain, reserving syrup for pancakes, ice cream, or your other
favorite syrup uses. Toss the ginger in sugar until well coated.
Allow to dry on cooling racks for 24 hours and store in zip locks or
jars.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>A few years ago someone here posted a recipe for making
>candied/crystallized ginger in a crockpot without the usual
>steaming or precooking. It required cooking on low overnight
>and contained just ginger, sugar, and water. Google hasn't
>helped.
>
>Does anyone here have the recipe saved? Would you be kind enough
>to post it? It produced very tasty results.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>gloria p

David Lebovitz has a wonderful and simple recipe with very thorough
instructions.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive...ed_ginger.html

Boron

Candied Ginger

Adapted from Room For Dessert

You don't need a candy thermometer to make this. Simply keep an
eye on the pot and when the liquid is the consistency of thin honey,
it's done and ready to go.

1 pound (500g) fresh ginger, peeled
4 cups (800g) sugar, plus additional sugar for coating the ginger
slices, if desired
4 cups (1l) water
pinch of salt

1. Slice the ginger as thinly as possible. It can't be too thin,
so use a sharp knife.

2. Put the ginger slices in a non-reactive pot, cover with water,
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let ginger simmer for ten
minutes. Drain, and repeat one more time.

3. Mix the sugar and water in the pot, along with a pinch of salt
and the ginger slices, and cook until the temperature reaches 225F
(106C.)

4. Remove from heat and let stand for at least an hour, although I
often let it sit overnight. Or if you want to coat the slices with
sugar, drain very well while the ginger is hot, so the syrup will
drain away better.

5. Store ginger slices in its syrup, or toss the drained slices in
granulated sugar. Shake off excess sugar, and spread the ginger slices
on a cooling rack overnight, until they're somewhat dry. The sugar can
be reused in a batter or ice cream base, or for another purpose.

Storage: The ginger, packed in its syrup, can be stored in the
refrigerator for up to one year. If you're concerned with it
crystallizing, add a tablespoon or two of corn syrup or glucose to the
sugar syrup at the beginning of step #3. If tossed in sugar, the
pieces can be stored at room temperature for a few months.

*If you're unsure if your thermometer is telling the truth, boil a pot
of water with the thermometer in it. Once the water is boiling, if you
live at sea level, the temperature should read 212F, or 100C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> Cyndi Hackett posted a few different versions like 6-7 years ago.
> This is the one I saved and use. The syrup is great in a marinade
> too.
>

> 1 lb fresh ginger
> 2 cups water
> 2 cups sugar
> 1/4 cup light corn syrup
> Crockpot or slowcooker
> more sugar for coating
>
> Peel and slice the ginger. I like 1/4" dice which are great for
> baking and nibbling. Mix sugar, water and corn syrup and heat in
> crockpot on high until dissolved. Add ginger, and reduce heat to low
> for 24 hours, until syrup is a golden brown. Allow to cool in syrup,
> then drain, reserving syrup for pancakes, ice cream, or your other
> favorite syrup uses. Toss the ginger in sugar until well coated.
> Allow to dry on cooling racks for 24 hours and store in zip locks or
> jars.

Ding, ding, ding, you got it! That sounds like the recipe I
remember. It's on one of my old (or dead) computers.

I'm off to peel and dice the ginger right now.

Thanks so much, tak sa micket, merci bien, muchas gracias,
and tusan tak.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:39:10 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> Cyndi Hackett posted a few different versions like 6-7 years ago.
>> This is the one I saved and use. The syrup is great in a marinade
>> too.
>>

>> 1 lb fresh ginger
>> 2 cups water
>> 2 cups sugar
>> 1/4 cup light corn syrup
>> Crockpot or slowcooker
>> more sugar for coating
>>
>> Peel and slice the ginger. I like 1/4" dice which are great for
>> baking and nibbling. Mix sugar, water and corn syrup and heat in
>> crockpot on high until dissolved. Add ginger, and reduce heat to low
>> for 24 hours, until syrup is a golden brown. Allow to cool in syrup,
>> then drain, reserving syrup for pancakes, ice cream, or your other
>> favorite syrup uses. Toss the ginger in sugar until well coated.
>> Allow to dry on cooling racks for 24 hours and store in zip locks or
>> jars.

>Ding, ding, ding, you got it! That sounds like the recipe I
>remember. It's on one of my old (or dead) computers.
>
>I'm off to peel and dice the ginger right now.
>
>Thanks so much, tak sa micket, merci bien, muchas gracias,
>and tusan tak.
>
>gloria p

I'm sure by now your house is smelling like heaven.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:39:10 -0700, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:

>> Ding, ding, ding, you got it! That sounds like the recipe I
>> remember. It's on one of my old (or dead) computers.
>>
>> I'm off to peel and dice the ginger right now.
>>
>> Thanks so much, tak sa micket, merci bien, muchas gracias,
>> and tusan tak.
>>
>> gloria p

> I'm sure by now your house is smelling like heaven.
>
> Lou

I keep sneaking in and tasting the syrup. It's probably time to
start testing for tenderness.

gloria p