Julia Altshuler

Default lemon cookies

A short while ago I posted asking for how to get an intense lemon flavor
in lemon cookies. I'm slowly working my way through everyone's ideas.
That's slowly because this is a pet home project, not something for a
bakery. I only get a yen for cookies every few weeks so I experiment then.

Here's what I've got so far.

Ingredients:

1.5 sticks of butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
..5 tsp. vanilla
1 lime, zest and juice
1 cup unbleached white flour
..5 cup King Arthur brand white whole wheat flour
..5 cup oat flour
..5 tsp. baking powder

Explanation of the ingredients:

I use salted butter and leave out the table salt.

The original recipe calls for 2 cups of white flour, but I like to vary
that. Some white wheat flour seems to be necessary since the cookie
gets too crumbly without it. I make oat flour by taking Quaker rolled
oats and processing them in the food processor with the steel blade. It
doesn't get fine enough for all of it to go through a sifter which I
like. It gives the cookie a little texture. Someone on this list
recommended King Arthur white whole wheat flour. I love the stuff and
have been using it in all my baking.

For last night's experiment, I used a lime instead of lemon only because
limes were on sale at the supermarket. There's no strong difference in
flavor. I thought the green flecks were festive looking.

Method:

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, grated lime zest and 2
Tablespoons of the lime juice. Mix well. Sift in dry ingredients. Add
unsifted oat flour. Mix. Form into a log wrapped in wax paper and
plastic wrap. Refrigerate over night. Cut cookies a quarter inch thick
with a serrated knife. Place on parchment paper on cookie sheet. With
a pastry brush, brush remaining lime juice on tops of cookies. Bake at
350 degrees until lightly browned on bottom, about 10 minutes. Let cool
on cookie sheet for a few minutes before trying to remove as they
crumble easily.

Results:

I'm pleased. I especially like the texture from the oat flour. The
cookie stays moist and tastes buttery. The lime juice with no extra
sugar on top is getting closer to the intense flavor I want. I'm still
going for more. Y'all had suggestions for lemon oil and frozen
concentrate. I'll try them and report back.

--Lia

Rick & Cyndi

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
: A short while ago I posted asking for how to get an intense
lemon flavor
: in lemon cookies. I'm slowly working my way through everyone's
ideas.

<snip>

The lime juice with no extra
: sugar on top is getting closer to the intense flavor I want.
I'm still
: going for more. Y'all had suggestions for lemon oil and frozen
: concentrate. I'll try them and report back.
:
:
: --Lia
: ========

Sounds good Lia. Looking forward to trying them once you've
perfected your recipe!

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Default User

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> A short while ago I posted asking for how to get an intense lemon flavor
> in lemon cookies. I'm slowly working my way through everyone's ideas.
> That's slowly because this is a pet home project, not something for a
> bakery. I only get a yen for cookies every few weeks so I experiment then.

Lemon cookies! I suggest you send them to me for expert analysis.

Brian Rodenborn
Nexis

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I'm pleased. I especially like the texture from the oat flour. The
> cookie stays moist and tastes buttery. The lime juice with no extra
> sugar on top is getting closer to the intense flavor I want. I'm still
> going for more. Y'all had suggestions for lemon oil and frozen
> concentrate. I'll try them and report back.
>

> --Lia

Lemon oil, lime oil, or orange oil will all serve to intensify the flavor.
Just be sure not to overdo it...too much will cause a bitter aftertaste,
especially in baked items.

kimberly

Nexis

Default lemon cookies ( A recipe for you- Baci di Dama)

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> A short while ago I posted asking for how to get an intense lemon flavor
> in lemon cookies.

<snip>

> --Lia

Lia,
Here's a recipe I got from one of my favorite Pastry Chefs...Cindy Mushet.
These are very lemony, and the chocolate is the perfect accompaniment.

Baci di Dama

Pans & Prep:
2 sheet pans, lined with parchment paper
Double boiler, or similar set up (two pans or bowl and pan)
Food processor & stand mixer

Ingredients:
7/8 cup (4 1/2 oz) blanched almonds
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp (4 1/2 oz) sugar
1 cup + 1 Tbsp (4 1/2 oz) butter
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon oil
zest of 2 large or 3 medium lemons
pinch salt
1 cup minus 1 Tbsp (4 1/2 oz) unbleached flour
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate

Place almonds and sugar in the processor and pulse until the almonds are
ground to the texture of fine sand.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, place the
almond/sugar mixture, butter, vanilla, lemon oil, lemon zest, and salt. Beat
on med-high until very light in color- nearly white- about 4-5 minutes.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and sift the flour over the top. Gently fold,
being careful not to overwork the dough, until the mixture is homogenous.
Chill 30 min or up to overnight

Preheat oven to 350*f. Use a small ice cream scoop or melon baller to shape
the dough into small rounds. Place each mound 1 1/2" apart on the cookie
sheets, and use the heel of your hand to slightly flatten to about 3/8 inch
thick. If possible, chill again briefly before baking. Bake until very
delicate golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place on racks
to cool completely.

Finely chop chocolate and place in top half of double boiler. In double
boiler bottom, bring an inch or so of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and
place top half containing chocolate over the water. Stir frequently, until
smooth and evenly melted. When the cookies are cool, spread the bottoms and
sandwich them together. Chill briefly to set chocolate.

Mangia!

kimberly

Julia Altshuler

Nexis wrote:

> Lia,
> Here's a recipe I got from one of my favorite Pastry Chefs...Cindy Mushet.
> These are very lemony, and the chocolate is the perfect accompaniment.
>
> Baci di Dama

I've got it printed out. Thanks! That's a little more in the way of
ingredients and equipment than I usually go for, but I may try these
anyway on a special occasion.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Nexis wrote:

> Lemon oil, lime oil, or orange oil will all serve to intensify the flavor.
> Just be sure not to overdo it...too much will cause a bitter aftertaste,
> especially in baked items.
>
> kimberly

I'm familiar with that aftertaste which is why I've avoided lemon oil so
far. Still, so many people have suggested it that I have to get some
and begin experimenting.

--Lia

Nexis

> Nexis wrote:
>
> > Lia,
> > Here's a recipe I got from one of my favorite Pastry Chefs...Cindy

Mushet.
> > These are very lemony, and the chocolate is the perfect accompaniment.
> >
> > Baci di Dama
> >

> I've got it printed out. Thanks! That's a little more in the way of
> ingredients and equipment than I usually go for, but I may try these
> anyway on a special occasion.
>

> --Lia

Do try them...they're worth the effort, and it's really not as complicated
as it sounds :-)
You can use the microwave to melt the chocolate, but I find I get more
consistent results with a double boiler.

kimberly

Gtwy4cb

>I used a lime instead of lemon

Use a microplane zester--the zest comes out like snow--no bitter white pith.
Julia Altshuler

Gtwy4cb wrote:
>>I used a lime instead of lemon

> Use a microplane zester--the zest comes out like snow--no bitter white pith.

I did! Another good idea I got from this list.
--Lia

Eveningg

Has anyone ever used citric acid to add tartness? I'm just curious.

Eve