just mikey

Default Outback's Dipping Sauce

Does anyone have a recipe that replicate's their blooming onion dipping
sauce. I have tried several that use French dressing as a base with
little sucess.

Thanks,

Mike

Steve Calvin

just mikey wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe that replicate's their blooming onion dipping
> sauce. I have tried several that use French dressing as a base with
> little sucess.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

From the copykat site: http://kitchenlink.com/copycat.html

* Exported from MasterCook *

Outback Bloomin' Onion

Recipe By : Outback Steak House, Miami, FL.
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Copycat

1/3 Cup Cornstarch -- more if needed
1 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Garlic -- mince
2 Teaspoons Paprika
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
24 Oz Beer
4 Vidalia Or Texas Sweet Onions
-- (4 to 6)
=4 Inch Diameter
Seasoned Flour: -- as needed
2 Cups Flour
4 Teaspoons Paprika
2 Teaspoons Garlic powder
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne
Chili Sauce:
1 Pt Mayonnaise
1 Pt Sour cream
1/2 Cup Tomato chili sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Cayenne

Mix cornstarch, flour and seasonings until well blended.
Add beer, mix well. Cut about 3/4" off top of onion and peel.
Cut into onion 12 to 16 vertical wedges but do not cut through
bottom root end.
Remove about 1" of petals from center of onion.
Dip onion in sesoned flour and remove excess by shaking.
Separate petals to coat thoroughly with batter.
Gently place in fryer basket and deep-fry at 375 to 400 for 1-1/2
minutes.
Turn over and fry 1-1/2 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
Place onion upright in shallow bowl and remove center core
with circular cutter or apple corer. Serve hot with Creamy Chili
Sauce.

SEASONED FLOUR- Combine flour, paprika, garlic powder,
pepper and cayenne and mix well.

CREAMY CHILI SAUCE-Combine mayo, sour cream,
chili sauce and cayenne and mix well.
--
Steve

Blair P. Houghton

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> 1/3 Cup Cornstarch -- more if needed

Where I stopped being hungry.

--Blair
"Bloomin' something."
Siobhan Perricone

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:26:25 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>Steve Calvin > wrote:
>> 1/3 Cup Cornstarch -- more if needed

>Where I stopped being hungry.

Why does the idea of cornstarch as part of the breading for the onion
bother you? Cornstarch does some very nice things to the batter when it's
fried on things.

--
Siobhan Perricone
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to
Steve Calvin

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>> 1/3 Cup Cornstarch -- more if needed

> Where I stopped being hungry.
>
> --Blair
> "Bloomin' something."

I'm not making any editorial comments on the recipe as I've never done
it. I was just giving Mike a source to answer his question.

Steve

just mikey

Default Outback's Dipping Sauce-Thanks Steve

it was on that website.

many thanks,

mike

Blair P. Houghton

Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
>On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:26:25 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>>Steve Calvin > wrote:
>>> 1/3 Cup Cornstarch -- more if needed

>>Where I stopped being hungry.

>Why does the idea of cornstarch as part of the breading for the onion
>bother you? Cornstarch does some very nice things to the batter when it's
>fried on things.

I should a kept reading.

I thought it was a component of the sauce.

--Blair
"I thought it was a costume party."
-Who said it, what episode?
Siobhan Perricone

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:18:58 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone > wrote:

>>>Where I stopped being hungry.

>>Why does the idea of cornstarch as part of the breading for the onion
>>bother you? Cornstarch does some very nice things to the batter when it's
>>fried on things.

>I should a kept reading.
>
>I thought it was a component of the sauce.

OH *laugh* Oh that WOULD be icky!