Peter Nochisaki

Default lemon basil recipe?

I wanted to grow my own basil for caprese and pastas and salads, right?
so i march down to the store, and pick a pack of seeds. It said
"Basil" so i was off and on my way. its been a few months and the
stuff is really flourishing, however, the leaves are kinda small, and
it doesn't really smell like the kid of basil you make italian food
with... I looked at the package the seeds came in. Its "Lemon Basil"
- some kinda variation of Basil. - totally different than the kind you
use in italian or asian cuisine.

turns out Lemon basil is best for teas and desserts!!!

not my favorite thing to make myself. I'm more of a breakfast lunch
and dinner cook - i don't usually mess with desserts too much. I let
the specialty folks at the bakeries do that. HOWEVER, i want to dabble
since I have all this fresh lemon basil... i'm hoping to make
something great with it, like cheesecake, or ice cream, tea, or maybe
even a twist on the mojito. i don't know...

so here's my problem:

I'm looking online for some recipes that use "lemon basil" - but
everything that comes up is a recipe that calls for the other kind of
basil (the italian food kind) and lemon. I can't find any recipes for
"lemon basil" this crazy heb growing in my garden!!

CAN YOU HELP?

Other wise the next post is going to be "Lemon basil for sale!! - FREE
SHIPPING to the pacific northwest"

Sincerely,

Peter

Steve Pope

Peter Nochisaki > wrote:

> I can't find any recipes for "lemon basil" this crazy heb growing
> in my garden!!

If I can get lemon basil I like to substitute it for a fraction
(maybe 1/3) of the conventional basil in any pesto recipe.

The small leaf size may have more to do with your garden
conditions than with the basil variety.

Steve
Steve Pope

Peter Nochisaki > wrote:

> I can't find any recipes for "lemon basil" this crazy heb growing
> in my garden!!

If I can get lemon basil I like to substitute it for a fraction
(maybe 1/3) of the conventional basil in any pesto recipe.

The small leaf size may have more to do with your garden
conditions than with the basil variety.

Steve
Ranee Mueller

Posted & Mailed

In article <2004090814070516807%pnoch@comcastnet>, Peter Nochisaki
> wrote:

> Other wise the next post is going to be "Lemon basil for sale!! - FREE
> SHIPPING to the pacific northwest"

Well, first off, I'll take some off your hands. I'm in Washington.

The other thing I'd say is why not use it in chicken or whatever else
you like? Lemon and basil go well together, and there are certainly
enough recipes calling for both, so why not just use the lemon basil
instead of regular basil? That would be what I did.

That said, I make an easy pasta dish with onions and garlic sauteed
in olive oil, canned tomatoes, diced up with the juices, and tossed in
the pan, kalamata or regular california olives tossed in, salt and
pepper and basil which I serve with whatever pasta we happen to have
around and then top with generous amounts of fresh grated parmesan.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Ranee Mueller

Posted & Mailed

In article <2004090814070516807%pnoch@comcastnet>, Peter Nochisaki
> wrote:

> Other wise the next post is going to be "Lemon basil for sale!! - FREE
> SHIPPING to the pacific northwest"

Well, first off, I'll take some off your hands. I'm in Washington.

The other thing I'd say is why not use it in chicken or whatever else
you like? Lemon and basil go well together, and there are certainly
enough recipes calling for both, so why not just use the lemon basil
instead of regular basil? That would be what I did.

That said, I make an easy pasta dish with onions and garlic sauteed
in olive oil, canned tomatoes, diced up with the juices, and tossed in
the pan, kalamata or regular california olives tossed in, salt and
pepper and basil which I serve with whatever pasta we happen to have
around and then top with generous amounts of fresh grated parmesan.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

CJB

previously in rfc, Peter Nochisaki > wrote:

> I'm looking online for some recipes that use "lemon basil" - but
> everything that comes up is a recipe that calls for the other kind of
> basil (the italian food kind) and lemon. I can't find any recipes for
> "lemon basil" this crazy heb growing in my garden!!
>
> CAN YOU HELP?

If you put "lemon basil" in quotes when you search, you'll get some results
for lemon basil, instead of regular basil and then lemon. I'm not familiar
with lemon basil at all - is it a combination of the two tastes? Sounds
very interesting and you should have fun with it, whatever you do...!

-Claudia
CJB

previously in rfc, Peter Nochisaki > wrote:

> I'm looking online for some recipes that use "lemon basil" - but
> everything that comes up is a recipe that calls for the other kind of
> basil (the italian food kind) and lemon. I can't find any recipes for
> "lemon basil" this crazy heb growing in my garden!!
>
> CAN YOU HELP?

If you put "lemon basil" in quotes when you search, you'll get some results
for lemon basil, instead of regular basil and then lemon. I'm not familiar
with lemon basil at all - is it a combination of the two tastes? Sounds
very interesting and you should have fun with it, whatever you do...!

-Claudia
Peter Nochisaki

Hey Steve thanks. I've done some research and have found that pesto
is, in fact the way to go with lemo pesto.. however, last night, i
smooshed a bunch up (mortar and pestal style) with a spoon on my
cutting board and put it in a white wine, garlic olive oil marinade for
some shimp i planned to bbq and it came out fabulously! woo hoo.

On 2004-09-08 16:05:51 -0700, (Steve Pope) said:

> Peter Nochisaki > wrote:
>
>> I can't find any recipes for "lemon basil" this crazy heb growing in my
>> garden!!

> If I can get lemon basil I like to substitute it for a fraction
> (maybe 1/3) of the conventional basil in any pesto recipe.
>
> The small leaf size may have more to do with your garden
> conditions than with the basil variety.
>
> Steve

Peter Nochisaki

thanks Ranee - that recipe sounds good, heck, you could add som capers,
red pepper flakes and a few dice anchovies to make a very "fresca"
putanesca! AS A side note - it worked great last night in a shrimp
marinade with simply white wine, olive oil and garlic. So, sorry, now
that i have a use for it, im probably not going to be selling it on
ebay. hehe.

On 2004-09-08 16:15:53 -0700, Ranee Mueller

On 2004-09-08 16:15:53 -0700, Ranee Mueller

Basil Pesto recipe Mr. Master Recipes 3 11-11-2010 09:36 AM
Sole Fillets with Toasted Pine Nuts, Lemon, and Basil AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 05-12-2006 03:38 AM
Lemon Basil Grilled Chicken Tim Recipes 0 24-08-2005 10:06 AM
REC: ZUCCHINI WITH LEMON-BASIL DRESSING Jennifer Diabetic 0 17-07-2005 12:15 AM
Sautéed Garlic Chicken with Lemon and Fresh Basil Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-02-2004 11:34 PM