NelsonJ763

Default Cast iron cooking, in and outdoors

I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron. Specificially
dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.
Steve Calvin

NelsonJ763 wrote:

> I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron. Specificially
> dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
> interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.

This link will give you a start:
http://www.lodgemfg.com/recipe.asp

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin

NelsonJ763 wrote:

> I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron. Specificially
> dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
> interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.

This link will give you a start:
http://www.lodgemfg.com/recipe.asp

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Katra

In article >,
(NelsonJ763) wrote:

> I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron. Specificially
> dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
> interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.

Easiest I've found is simple braised meals. :-)

I just made some braised chicken and veggies tonight in the cast iron
dutch oven. Beef or pork works well for this too, as does emu, ostrich,
rabbit, venison, porcupine, squirrel, etc.

Cover bottom of pan with a layer of EVOO and about 1" of water or your
favorite cooking wine. Lay meat on bottom of pan and top with a
selection of spices.

Tonight I used fresh rosemary, basil and ginger all chopped together in
a small food processer, then added ground black and red pepper, a bit of
salt, onion powder, garlic powder and a whole bunch of shitake mushroom
powder that I made from dried shitake mushrooms.

Dried mushroom powder, especially shitake, can add a wonderful rich
flavor to just about anything.

I sprinkled that over the top of the meat, the layered large cut chunks
of carrots, yams, quartered onions and fresh button mushrooms over the
top and started out on high heat until it was simmering well, the turned
it down to low for about 1 hour. I used chicken drumsticks this time but
as I said, it works well with any meat, and you can vary the veggies as
needed.

Doing this with smoked sausages and bok choy or cabbage is delighful as
well.

Just think "pot roast".

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
(NelsonJ763) wrote:

> I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron. Specificially
> dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
> interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.

Easiest I've found is simple braised meals. :-)

I just made some braised chicken and veggies tonight in the cast iron
dutch oven. Beef or pork works well for this too, as does emu, ostrich,
rabbit, venison, porcupine, squirrel, etc.

Cover bottom of pan with a layer of EVOO and about 1" of water or your
favorite cooking wine. Lay meat on bottom of pan and top with a
selection of spices.

Tonight I used fresh rosemary, basil and ginger all chopped together in
a small food processer, then added ground black and red pepper, a bit of
salt, onion powder, garlic powder and a whole bunch of shitake mushroom
powder that I made from dried shitake mushrooms.

Dried mushroom powder, especially shitake, can add a wonderful rich
flavor to just about anything.

I sprinkled that over the top of the meat, the layered large cut chunks
of carrots, yams, quartered onions and fresh button mushrooms over the
top and started out on high heat until it was simmering well, the turned
it down to low for about 1 hour. I used chicken drumsticks this time but
as I said, it works well with any meat, and you can vary the veggies as
needed.

Doing this with smoked sausages and bok choy or cabbage is delighful as
well.

Just think "pot roast".

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Bolivar

NelsonJ763 wrote:

> I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron. Specificially
> dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
> interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.

For dutch oven cooking, you might start here.

http://www.idos.com/

Boli
Bolivar

NelsonJ763 wrote:

> I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron. Specificially
> dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
> interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.

For dutch oven cooking, you might start here.

http://www.idos.com/

Boli
HpyKampers

I've been hooked on www.campfirecafe.com. It's on the RFD channel on our Sat.

REMOVE "thejunk" TO SEND EMAIL
Rich & Lloyd
'98 Flagstaff-824D
'01 S 10 4X4 ext cab & '01 XTerra
Best Sports City in America (St. Loius, MO 63111)
http://www.RainbowRV.com
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/rainbowrvrsmidwest

Mr. Wizard

"NelsonJ763" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron.

Specificially
> dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
> interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.

This PBS series is the best! http://www.campfirecafe.com

Mr. Wizard

"NelsonJ763" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for recipies for cooking on all forms of cast iron.

Specificially
> dutch ovens and skillets. Both in the kitchen and outdoors. I'm especially
> interested in quick and tasty meals and, those to feed a number of folks.

This PBS series is the best! http://www.campfirecafe.com

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> Easiest I've found is simple braised meals. :-)

There's "easier" but they've nought to do with meals ;-D

> I just made some braised chicken and veggies tonight in the cast iron
> dutch oven. Beef or pork works well for this too, as does emu, ostrich,
> rabbit, venison, porcupine, squirrel, etc.
>
> Cover bottom of pan with a layer of EVOO and about 1" of water or your
> favorite cooking wine. Lay meat on bottom of pan and top with a
> selection of spices.
>
> Tonight I used fresh rosemary, basil and ginger all chopped together in
> a small food processer, then added ground black and red pepper, a bit of
> salt, onion powder, garlic powder and a whole bunch of shitake mushroom
> powder that I made from dried shitake mushrooms.
>
> Dried mushroom powder, especially shitake, can add a wonderful rich
> flavor to just about anything.
>
> I sprinkled that over the top of the meat, the layered large cut chunks
> of carrots, yams, quartered onions and fresh button mushrooms over the
> top and started out on high heat until it was simmering well, the turned
> it down to low for about 1 hour. I used chicken drumsticks this time but
> as I said, it works well with any meat, and you can vary the veggies as
> needed.
>
> Doing this with smoked sausages and bok choy or cabbage is delighful as
> well.

"OOOOOOOOOOOOH bay - bee...!!!"

Your pillow talk is gettin' me ALL excited - STOP THAT...!!! ;--p

> Just think "pot roast".

I do boneless pork loin roasts in the iron skillet all the time...it's easy
and you can make the gravy in the same pan. I do this with Swiss Steak,
too....

Coupla months ago my 12" Teflon skillet finally gave up the ghost (I just
get the cheapo nonstick ones. this one cost $12.00 at Linens 'n Things about
4 years ago and it came with a smaller 10" skillet which is still in good
shape, I use it for eggs and hamburgers and such). I reverted to using cast
iron and found it very handy to use, so much so that I did not even consider
getting another large - ish nonstick skillet. Yesterday I was at Linens 'n
Things and I finally broke down and bought a 12" nonstick wok/skillet combo
dealie...at $9.99 it will prove a useful and most frugal purchase. But I'm
perfectly happy using a cast iron skillet. I've got four (plus a coupla Le
Creuset Dutch Ovens)...two are my Mom's, must be 60 years old if a
day...they are in pristine shape and will surely outlast me...prolly some
alien archeologist will find them in the ruins of Chicago a million years
from now....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> Easiest I've found is simple braised meals. :-)

There's "easier" but they've nought to do with meals ;-D

> I just made some braised chicken and veggies tonight in the cast iron
> dutch oven. Beef or pork works well for this too, as does emu, ostrich,
> rabbit, venison, porcupine, squirrel, etc.
>
> Cover bottom of pan with a layer of EVOO and about 1" of water or your
> favorite cooking wine. Lay meat on bottom of pan and top with a
> selection of spices.
>
> Tonight I used fresh rosemary, basil and ginger all chopped together in
> a small food processer, then added ground black and red pepper, a bit of
> salt, onion powder, garlic powder and a whole bunch of shitake mushroom
> powder that I made from dried shitake mushrooms.
>
> Dried mushroom powder, especially shitake, can add a wonderful rich
> flavor to just about anything.
>
> I sprinkled that over the top of the meat, the layered large cut chunks
> of carrots, yams, quartered onions and fresh button mushrooms over the
> top and started out on high heat until it was simmering well, the turned
> it down to low for about 1 hour. I used chicken drumsticks this time but
> as I said, it works well with any meat, and you can vary the veggies as
> needed.
>
> Doing this with smoked sausages and bok choy or cabbage is delighful as
> well.

"OOOOOOOOOOOOH bay - bee...!!!"

Your pillow talk is gettin' me ALL excited - STOP THAT...!!! ;--p

> Just think "pot roast".

I do boneless pork loin roasts in the iron skillet all the time...it's easy
and you can make the gravy in the same pan. I do this with Swiss Steak,
too....

Coupla months ago my 12" Teflon skillet finally gave up the ghost (I just
get the cheapo nonstick ones. this one cost $12.00 at Linens 'n Things about
4 years ago and it came with a smaller 10" skillet which is still in good
shape, I use it for eggs and hamburgers and such). I reverted to using cast
iron and found it very handy to use, so much so that I did not even consider
getting another large - ish nonstick skillet. Yesterday I was at Linens 'n
Things and I finally broke down and bought a 12" nonstick wok/skillet combo
dealie...at $9.99 it will prove a useful and most frugal purchase. But I'm
perfectly happy using a cast iron skillet. I've got four (plus a coupla Le
Creuset Dutch Ovens)...two are my Mom's, must be 60 years old if a
day...they are in pristine shape and will surely outlast me...prolly some
alien archeologist will find them in the ruins of Chicago a million years
from now....

--
Best
Greg

Katra

In article . net>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>

> > Easiest I've found is simple braised meals. :-)

> There's "easier" but they've nought to do with meals ;-D

True. ;-)

> > I just made some braised chicken and veggies tonight in the cast iron
> > dutch oven. Beef or pork works well for this too, as does emu, ostrich,
> > rabbit, venison, porcupine, squirrel, etc.
> >
> > Cover bottom of pan with a layer of EVOO and about 1" of water or your
> > favorite cooking wine. Lay meat on bottom of pan and top with a
> > selection of spices.
> >
> > Tonight I used fresh rosemary, basil and ginger all chopped together in
> > a small food processer, then added ground black and red pepper, a bit of
> > salt, onion powder, garlic powder and a whole bunch of shitake mushroom
> > powder that I made from dried shitake mushrooms.
> >
> > Dried mushroom powder, especially shitake, can add a wonderful rich
> > flavor to just about anything.
> >
> > I sprinkled that over the top of the meat, the layered large cut chunks
> > of carrots, yams, quartered onions and fresh button mushrooms over the
> > top and started out on high heat until it was simmering well, the turned
> > it down to low for about 1 hour. I used chicken drumsticks this time but
> > as I said, it works well with any meat, and you can vary the veggies as
> > needed.
> >
> > Doing this with smoked sausages and bok choy or cabbage is delighful as
> > well.

> "OOOOOOOOOOOOH bay - bee...!!!"
>
> Your pillow talk is gettin' me ALL excited - STOP THAT...!!! ;--p

<lol> A fellow sauage lover I see!
Man, that has a million connotations...

Bok choy, IMHO is superior in flavor and texture to cabbage, but YMMV...
Sun Harvest makes a roast garlic and basil chicken sausage that is to
_die_ for!

> > Just think "pot roast".

> I do boneless pork loin roasts in the iron skillet all the time...it's easy
> and you can make the gravy in the same pan. I do this with Swiss Steak,
> too....

The local Thai market carries "Pig legs", it's the entire lower section
of the legs just below the hams. They will cut them to size for you so
you don't have to. Those work nicely!

But I agree, boneless pork roasts go well in the dutch oven. I use
shoulder roasts. I generally treat those by using a long, sharp knife
and punching several holes in them and stuffing fresh garlic slivers
into the holes, then topping the whole mess with fresh herbs before
roasting. :-)

I _love_ my herb garden! The difference between fresh vs. dried and
powdered herbs is tremendous.

> Coupla months ago my 12" Teflon skillet finally gave up the ghost (I just
> get the cheapo nonstick ones. this one cost $12.00 at Linens 'n Things about
> 4 years ago and it came with a smaller 10" skillet which is still in good
> shape, I use it for eggs and hamburgers and such). I reverted to using cast
> iron and found it very handy to use, so much so that I did not even consider
> getting another large - ish nonstick skillet.

No substitute for well seasoned cast iron. :-)

> Yesterday I was at Linens 'n
> Things and I finally broke down and bought a 12" nonstick wok/skillet combo
> dealie...at $9.99 it will prove a useful and most frugal purchase. But I'm
> perfectly happy using a cast iron skillet. I've got four (plus a coupla Le
> Creuset Dutch Ovens)...two are my Mom's, must be 60 years old if a
> day...they are in pristine shape and will surely outlast me...prolly some
> alien archeologist will find them in the ruins of Chicago a million years
> from now....

Sounds like you are well on your way to an addiction to cast iron! <lol>

Take a look at some Griswold antique stuff off of ebay!

No comparison to lodge!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article . net>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> [...]

> iron and found it very handy to use, so much so that I did not even consider
> getting another large - ish nonstick skillet.

No substitute for well seasoned cast iron. :-)

> Yesterday I was at Linens 'n
> Things and I finally broke down and bought a 12" nonstick wok/skillet combo
> dealie...at $9.99 it will prove a useful and most frugal purchase. But I'm
> perfectly happy using a cast iron skillet. I've got four (plus a coupla Le
> Creuset Dutch Ovens)...two are my Mom's, must be 60 years old if a
> day...they are in pristine shape and will surely outlast me...prolly some
> alien archeologist will find them in the ruins of Chicago a million years
> from now....

Sounds like you are well on your way to an addiction to cast iron! <lol>

Take a look at some Griswold antique stuff off of ebay!

Emrys Davies

'Katra',

I tried several big stores looking for shitake mushroom powder, but
could not find any. Tesco had whole shitake dried mushrooms in a jar.

I had not heard of this product until you mentioned it. If I find it
would it enhance my beef stews?

I live in England (Solihull).

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Katra" > wrote in message
> [...]

But I'm
> > perfectly happy using a cast iron skillet. I've got four (plus a

coupla Le
> > Creuset Dutch Ovens)...two are my Mom's, must be 60 years old if a
> > day...they are in pristine shape and will surely outlast me...prolly

some
> > alien archeologist will find them in the ruins of Chicago a million

years
> > from now....

> Sounds like you are well on your way to an addiction to cast iron!

<lol>

> Take a look at some Griswold antique stuff off of ebay!
>
> No comparison to lodge!
>
> K.
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

Emrys Davies

"Katra" > wrote in message
> [...]

But I'm
> > perfectly happy using a cast iron skillet. I've got four (plus a

coupla Le
> > Creuset Dutch Ovens)...two are my Mom's, must be 60 years old if a
> > day...they are in pristine shape and will surely outlast me...prolly

some
> > alien archeologist will find them in the ruins of Chicago a million

years
> > from now....

> Sounds like you are well on your way to an addiction to cast iron!

<lol>

> Take a look at some Griswold antique stuff off of ebay!
>
> No comparison to lodge!
>
> K.
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

Katra

In article >,
"Emrys Davies" > wrote:

> 'Katra',
>
> I tried several big stores looking for shitake mushroom powder, but
> could not find any. Tesco had whole shitake dried mushrooms in a jar.
>
> I had not heard of this product until you mentioned it. If I find it
> would it enhance my beef stews?
>
> I live in England (Solihull).
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.

AFAIK, nobody sells it. :-)
I buy whole dried Shitakes from the Thai store and powder them in my
food processer or blender, then put it into a used shaker jar that I
saved from another powdered item...

I really like it and have found far more successful uses for them
powdered than whole! I've just had too much trouble reconstituting the
whole ones.

Give it a shot. :-)

I buy 16 oz. bags of them from the Thai store for about $8.00 in a
cellophane bag.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:
> >

> > > Easiest I've found is simple braised meals. :-)

> > There's "easier" but they've nought to do with meals ;-D

> True. ;-)
>

> > > I just made some braised chicken and veggies tonight in the cast iron
> > > dutch oven. Beef or pork works well for this too, as does emu,

ostrich,
> > > rabbit, venison, porcupine, squirrel, etc.
> > >
> > > Cover bottom of pan with a layer of EVOO and about 1" of water or your
> > > favorite cooking wine. Lay meat on bottom of pan and top with a
> > > selection of spices.
> > >
> > > Tonight I used fresh rosemary, basil and ginger all chopped together

in
> > > a small food processer, then added ground black and red pepper, a bit

of
> > > salt, onion powder, garlic powder and a whole bunch of shitake

mushroom
> > > powder that I made from dried shitake mushrooms.
> > >
> > > Dried mushroom powder, especially shitake, can add a wonderful rich
> > > flavor to just about anything.
> > >
> > > I sprinkled that over the top of the meat, the layered large cut

chunks
> > > of carrots, yams, quartered onions and fresh button mushrooms over the
> > > top and started out on high heat until it was simmering well, the

turned
> > > it down to low for about 1 hour. I used chicken drumsticks this time

but
> > > as I said, it works well with any meat, and you can vary the veggies

as
> > > needed.
> > >
> > > Doing this with smoked sausages and bok choy or cabbage is delighful

as
> > > well.

> > "OOOOOOOOOOOOH bay - bee...!!!"
> >
> > Your pillow talk is gettin' me ALL excited - STOP THAT...!!! ;--p

> <lol> A fellow sauage lover I see!
> Man, that has a million connotations...

"BEAT ME, Daddy...eight to the bar...!!!" ;---p

"I see Paris...I see France...I see Katra's UNDERPANTZ...!!!" <VBG>

> Bok choy, IMHO is superior in flavor and texture to cabbage, but YMMV...
> Sun Harvest makes a roast garlic and basil chicken sausage that is to
> _die_ for!

At my soopermart they have these Thai chicken sausages that are
good...hmmm...I'm JUST writing out my grocery list. Need some stuff for the
grill this Monday...

> > > Just think "pot roast".

> > I do boneless pork loin roasts in the iron skillet all the time...it's

easy
> > and you can make the gravy in the same pan. I do this with Swiss Steak,
> > too....

> The local Thai market carries "Pig legs", it's the entire lower section
> of the legs just below the hams. They will cut them to size for you so
> you don't have to. Those work nicely!

Hmm...that sounds interesting...

> But I agree, boneless pork roasts go well in the dutch oven. I use
> shoulder roasts. I generally treat those by using a long, sharp knife
> and punching several holes in them and stuffing fresh garlic slivers
> into the holes, then topping the whole mess with fresh herbs before
> roasting. :-)

I am marinating/brining a bunch of pork cutlets aka boneless "chops" and
several pork sirloin roasts as we speak...it's PORK CITY here 'cos nice
pork is on sale this week for $1.99/lb for varuious cuts.

I do a brine/marinade that includes the regular salt and brown sugar, also
lotsa garlic, a citrus component (grapefruit or lime juice is great), some
Siracha chili sauce and some soy sauce and some sesame oil...it's very good
if I say so meself...great for chicken, too.

> I _love_ my herb garden! The difference between fresh vs. dried and
> powdered herbs is tremendous.
>

> > Coupla months ago my 12" Teflon skillet finally gave up the ghost (I

just
> > get the cheapo nonstick ones. this one cost $12.00 at Linens 'n Things

about
> > 4 years ago and it came with a smaller 10" skillet which is still in

good
> > shape, I use it for eggs and hamburgers and such). I reverted to using

cast
> > iron and found it very handy to use, so much so that I did not even

consider
> > getting another large - ish nonstick skillet.

> No substitute for well seasoned cast iron. :-)
>
> > Yesterday I was at Linens 'n
> > Things and I finally broke down and bought a 12" nonstick wok/skillet

combo
> > dealie...at $9.99 it will prove a useful and most frugal purchase. But

I'm
> > perfectly happy using a cast iron skillet. I've got four (plus a coupla

Le
> > Creuset Dutch Ovens)...two are my Mom's, must be 60 years old if a
> > day...they are in pristine shape and will surely outlast me...prolly

some
> > alien archeologist will find them in the ruins of Chicago a million

years
> > from now....

> Sounds like you are well on your way to an addiction to cast iron! <lol>

It's all ya need. It lasts forever and is easy to care for if you take a
little time to do it right from the outset...

> Take a look at some Griswold antique stuff off of ebay!
>
> No comparison to lodge!

I'm going thrifting today so mebbe I'll find some "treasures" in the kitchen
dept. ;--)

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> [...]

I'm
> > perfectly happy using a cast iron skillet. I've got four (plus a coupla

Le
> > Creuset Dutch Ovens)...two are my Mom's, must be 60 years old if a
> > day...they are in pristine shape and will surely outlast me...prolly

some
> > alien archeologist will find them in the ruins of Chicago a million

years
> > from now....

> Sounds like you are well on your way to an addiction to cast iron! <lol>

It's all ya need. It lasts forever and is easy to care for if you take a
little time to do it right from the outset...

> Take a look at some Griswold antique stuff off of ebay!
>
> No comparison to lodge!

I'm going thrifting today so mebbe I'll find some "treasures" in the kitchen

Gregory Morrow