Default achiote: what does one do with it?

Hi, folks. I was given a container of achiote and have no idea what
to do with it other than make some kind of a rub. Any suggestions?
Dimitri

> wrote in message
> Hi, folks. I was given a container of achiote and have no idea what
> to do with it other than make some kind of a rub. Any suggestions?

See below.

Dimitri

FRICASE' DE POLLO (Chicken Fricasee) Puerto Rico

2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. oregano
Salt, freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. achiote oil
3 1/2 lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces
4 oz. ham, coarsely chopped
Bay leaf
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 fresh hot pepper, left whole
1 c. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 c. chicken stock
1 lb. potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 c. pitted green olives, sliced
1 tbsp. capers
2 pimientos, coarsely chopped

Mix together the garlic, oregano, salt to taste, a generous amount of
pepper, the vinegar and achiote oil and rub into the chicken parts. Place
in a covered bowl and refrigerate for about 4 hours. At the end of that
time, transfer the chicken and marinade to a heavy casserole and add the
ham, bay leaf, onion, hot pepper, tomatoes and chicken stock. Cover and
simmer gently for 1/2 hour. Add the potatoes and continue cooking until
chicken and potatoes are both done, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and
discard the hot pepper and bay leaf. Add the olives, capers and pimientos
and cook for a few minutes to heat through. Serves 6.ACEITE DE

ACHIOTE OIL:
1 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. annatto seeds

Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the seeds and cook over low heat
for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until a rich orange color is
obtained. Cool, strain and store the oil in a covered jar in the
refrigerator. Use as directed. Keeps about one month. Makes about one
cup.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:11:38 GMT, "Dimitri" >

Thank you! I'll try this pronto!
PENMART01

writes:

>Hi, folks. I was given a container of achiote and have no idea what
>to do with it other than make some kind of a rub. Any suggestions?

Imparts very little flavor, achiote is used mostly as a colorant.

achiote seed [ah-chee-OH-tay]
The slightly musky-flavored seed of the annatto tree is available whole or
ground in East Indian, Spanish and Latin American markets. Buy whole seeds when
they're a rusty red color; brown seeds are old and flavorless. Achiote seed is
also called ANNATTO which, in its paste and powder form, is used in the United
States to color butter, margarine, cheese and smoked fish.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

CHICKEN LEGS WITH ACHIOTE GARLIC SAUCE
This dish, flavored with achiote seeds, garlic, and spices, is based on chicken
pibil, from Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula. Traditionally, the chicken is baked in
banana leaves, but here we've used collard leaves because they are more readily
available. They add moisture and a bit of flavor but do not get tender enough
to eat.
Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 1 3/4 hr

1 tablespoon achiote (annatto) seeds*
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
4 small whole chicken legs (1 3/4 lb total), separated into thighs and
drumsticks
6 to 8 large collard leaves, stems trimmed flush with leaves

Accompaniments: 2 cups cooked white rice; pickled onions
Special equipment: a 24- by 18-inch sheet of heavy-duty foil; an electric
coffee/spice grinder

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Toast seeds, spices, and oregano together in a dry heavy skillet over moderate
heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Cool slightly, then finely
grind mixture in grinder.

Mince garlic and mash to a paste with salt using a large heavy knife, then
transfer to a large bowl and whisk in ground spices, juices, and oil.

Remove skin and all visible fat from chicken, then add chicken to juice mixture
and turn to coat.

Lay foil loosely on top of a 13- by 9-inch baking dish and arrange collard
leaves, overlapping, to create a 14-inch round in center of foil. Press foil
and leaves loosely into dish to form a well, then mound chicken with sauce in
well and fold collards over chicken to enclose. Wrap collard package snugly in
foil, crimping edges to seal completely.

Transfer foil package from baking dish directly to rack in middle of oven and
bake until chicken is cooked through, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

Transfer foil package to a serving dish, then open foil. (If desired, carefully
pull out foil from under collard package.) Open collards and serve chicken with
rice and pickled onions.

*Available at Latino markets and some supermarkets.

Makes 4 servings.

Each serving (including 1/2 cup rice) contains about 359 calories and 9 grams
fat.

Gourmet
April 2003
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

CapnFntasy

>>Hi, folks. I was given a container of achiote and have no idea what
>>to do with it other than make some kind of a rub. Any suggestions?

It is used a lot in southern Mexico as a marinade and rub for grilled meats.
Very earthy, delicate flavor. I had some lamb chops stuffed with achiote paste
that were fantastic. It's also used a lot in Guamanian and Filipino cooking.
Red achiote rice is a traditional Guamanian dish. You soak the seeds overnight
or for at least four hours in water, then use the water for your rice. Since
you have ground seeds(I think that's what you meant), you can just make mix it
with the water you will be using for the rice. Also before cooking the rice,
saute some onions and stir into the rice before turning on your rice cooker. As
soon as the button pops off, put some frozen peas on top (for color) and put
the lid back on. Stir through before serving. One note - be careful not to use
too many achiote seed or get the color of the water too dark, otherwise it may
be a little bitter. The rice will be colored a nice medium light orange. Serve
with finadene sauce on the side (equal parts soy sauce and freshly squeezed
lemon juice with some very finely chopped onion and one of those little red
chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped).

You cut them off at the bottom and steam them and dip them into your
choice of things. We make a tofu dip that is wonderful and fat free.

wrote:

> Hi, folks. I was given a container of achiote and have no idea what
> to do with it other than make some kind of a rub. Any suggestions?

Were you able to find them? Don't know if they are available in a
regular store but we got our from the farmers market and they are huge.

wrote:

> You cut them off at the bottom and steam them and dip them into your
> choice of things. We make a tofu dip that is wonderful and fat free.

Robert H. Merriman

Hi Dimitri...

Your recipe is ok except for a few things...

First, PR food is not cooked with hot peppers, if we want to add heat we add
it at the table. Of course there are exceptions, but Fricasé bde Pollo isn't
one of them - the filling for pasteles (a PR tamales type food that is made
with a dough that contains ground up tubers and other ingredients) can be
hot but then they are identified in the wrapping by tying a strip of banana
leaf to the string that keeps them together... certain finger foods like
tacos de jueyes (deep fried tubular dough with spicy crab stuffing) and
chicken gizzards stewed with onions, etc. could have a bit of heat but more
is added by each individual according to his/her personal taste...

Second, no PR savory/saucy meal is made without adding cilantro, culantro
(PR coriander - recao) and ajicitos (small sweet pepper that looks like an
Habanero but not hot at all)... and the olives used usually have pimento,
either stuffed with them (rellenas), in strips (condimento) or all of this
mixed together with the capers (alcaparrado). Also, we use Cubanelle peppers
in our food and it's an important ingredient in our sofritos.

Cooking method (after seasoning, which doesn't include the achiote oil) is
to heat the achiote oil and fry the chicken parts a bit, then add the ham
and other ingredients, including the potatoes...

As I type, we're enjoying a much needed vacation in Puerto Rico, smelling
the delicious food cooked in the neighborhood... all the Christmas
delicacies and then some...

I'm bringing back LOTS of ajicitos, recao, and achiote... and lots of other
spices we use, so much cheaper than in Maryland... lots of bacalao and maybe
i'll even be able to bring back a 5 pound box of conch to make a Caribbean
Conch Salad... PR style, of course... NO heat!!!

LOL!!!

Happy New Year to all!!!

Sandra

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> > Hi, folks. I was given a container of achiote and have no idea what
> > to do with it other than make some kind of a rub. Any suggestions?

> See below.
>
> Dimitri
>
> FRICASE' DE POLLO (Chicken Fricasee) Puerto Rico
>
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 1 tsp. oregano
> Salt, freshly ground pepper
> 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
> 2 tbsp. achiote oil
> 3 1/2 lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces
> 4 oz. ham, coarsely chopped
> Bay leaf
> 1 onion, thinly sliced
> 1 fresh hot pepper, left whole
> 1 c. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
> 2 c. chicken stock
> 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and sliced
> 1/2 c. pitted green olives, sliced
> 1 tbsp. capers
> 2 pimientos, coarsely chopped
>
> Mix together the garlic, oregano, salt to taste, a generous amount of
> pepper, the vinegar and achiote oil and rub into the chicken parts. Place
> in a covered bowl and refrigerate for about 4 hours. At the end of that
> time, transfer the chicken and marinade to a heavy casserole and add the
> ham, bay leaf, onion, hot pepper, tomatoes and chicken stock. Cover and
> simmer gently for 1/2 hour. Add the potatoes and continue cooking until
> chicken and potatoes are both done, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and
> discard the hot pepper and bay leaf. Add the olives, capers and pimientos
> and cook for a few minutes to heat through. Serves 6.ACEITE DE
>
> ACHIOTE OIL:
> 1 c. vegetable oil
> 1/2 c. annatto seeds
>
> Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the seeds and cook over low heat
> for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until a rich orange color is
> obtained. Cool, strain and store the oil in a covered jar in the
> refrigerator. Use as directed. Keeps about one month. Makes about one
> cup.

What the **** is that question about. I purchase mine from a Farmers
Market.
If you don't understand Farmers Market send me an email I will explain
it to you further.
Matt

wrote:

>>>You cut them off at the bottom and steam them and dip them into your
>>>choice of things. We make a tofu dip that is wonderful and fat free.

S.Dunlap

wrote in message thlink.net>...
> What the **** is that question about. I purchase mine from a Farmers
> Market.
> If you don't understand Farmers Market send me an email I will explain
> it to you further.
> Matt

We're all aware of what farmers markets are....but you obviously
aren't aware of what achiote is!

Try educating yourself before spouting off about steaming this and
using it as a dipper. BTW, it's a tropical SEED!

1. Achiote, or Annatto Bija
Bixaceae Bixa orellana L.

Source: Magness et al. 1971

Tropical shrub or small tree. The fruits are heart-shaped, brown or
reddish brown at maturity, and are covered with short stiff hairs.
When fully mature, the fruits split open exposing the numerous seeds.
Although it does not produce an edible fruit, the achiote is widely
grown for the orange-red pulp that covers the seeds. The achiote dye,
which is prepared by stirring the seeds in water, is used to color
butter, cheese, rice and other foods. In the Philippine Islands the
seeds are ground and used as a condiment.

2. From the United States Restautant Guide Food Glossary
achiote

Deep dark red very hard red seed used in making annatto spice.
Typically used in seasoning and BBQ in Central and South American
dishes. The red seeds are flavoful, when they get old and brown they
are flavorless.

ah-chee-OH-tay

South America

3.From Cuisine.net Diner's Digest

Achiote and Annatto and what Sprouts from the Seed
The small hard achiote seed, which is also called the annatto seed, is
sold both whole and ground. It is prized in Indian and Hispanic
cuisine for its slightly bitter, earthy flavor and russet color. In
the United States, annatto extract is used to color butter, margarine,
and cheese. Here are some other ways achiote seeds are used:

Achiote Oil: any bland oil that has been flavored and colored with
achiote seeds. It is used in Mexican and Indian cuisine to add a
bright reddish-brown color and a distinctive flavor to many foods
including fish, fowl, meats, rice dishes, and tamales.

Achiote Paste: specific to Yucatan and Oaxacan cuisine, this paste is
made from ground achiote seeds, water or vinegar, and sometimes other
herbs and spices such as cinnamon, bay leaf, cilantro, salt, cloves,
and oregano. It can be used in moles, tamales, stews, rice dishes, and
with meats and seafood.

Achiotina: prominently used in Puerto Rican cuisine, this is a lard
compound that has been flavored and colored with achiote seeds. It is
used for cooking bean and rice dishes, as well as vegetables, meats,
and stews.

Sandi

Achiote Paste Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 05-12-2006 03:17 AM
Achiote? Chucky Mexican Cooking 4 26-12-2004 11:21 PM