Nikki Jones

Default Viking Range Or Thermadoor?

I am thinking of buying a Viking Range online but several friends have
mentioned Thermadoor which a local store sells. I found some Vikings
at Rob's Applicances http://rob.fateback.com but there is not a local
store in our area and all I have seen of them has been in other
people's homes and commercial ones. The Vikings look like a better
unit than Thermadoor does anyone have a preference between the two?
CapnFntasy

>I am thinking of buying a Viking Range online but several friends have
>mentioned Thermadoor which a local store sells. I found some Vikings
>at Rob's Applicances http://rob.fateback.com but there is not a local
>store in our area and all I have seen of them has been in other
>people's homes and commercial ones. The Vikings look like a better
>unit than Thermadoor does anyone have a preference between the two?

I would definitely get the Viking(If you can get a Wolf I'd recommend that over
either).Thermador is not very reliable and costs just as much as Viking. Also
Viking has more btu's which does make a difference. Viking is solely intended
for home cooking. They do not have a commercial line. I did a lot of research
on stoves and many of the high end brands such as Thermador and Dacor have
reliability issues. Wolf and Viking also have some reliability problems, but
less so.

sf

I always think about who's going to clean it - so if it's
not self-cleaning, I wouldn't buy it.

`````````````````````

On 28 Dec 2003 06:30:56 GMT, (CapnFntasy)
wrote:

> >I am thinking of buying a Viking Range online but several friends have
> >mentioned Thermadoor which a local store sells. I found some Vikings
> >at Rob's Applicances
http://rob.fateback.com but there is not a local
> >store in our area and all I have seen of them has been in other
> >people's homes and commercial ones. The Vikings look like a better
> >unit than Thermadoor does anyone have a preference between the two?
> >

> I would definitely get the Viking(If you can get a Wolf I'd recommend that over
> either).Thermador is not very reliable and costs just as much as Viking. Also
> Viking has more btu's which does make a difference. Viking is solely intended
> for home cooking. They do not have a commercial line. I did a lot of research
> on stoves and many of the high end brands such as Thermador and Dacor have
> reliability issues. Wolf and Viking also have some reliability problems, but
> less so.

Terry Pulliam Burd

On 27 Dec 2003 14:08:35 -0800, (Nikki Jones)
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I am thinking of buying a Viking Range online but several friends have
>mentioned Thermadoor which a local store sells. I found some Vikings
>at Rob's Applicances
http://rob.fateback.com but there is not a local
>store in our area and all I have seen of them has been in other
>people's homes and commercial ones. The Vikings look like a better
>unit than Thermadoor does anyone have a preference between the two?

I don't know about the Viking, but I LOVE my Thermador. I've had a
JennAir <shudder>, Thermador and a Dacor and the Thermador is hands
down my favorite. The star configuration seems to distribute the heat
much more evenly. I have the six-burner, and 2 of the burners are
simmer and super-simmer. It makes for some splendid cook-all-day stews
and sauces (my spaghetti sauce never tasted better), although family
members must be monitored regularly to avoid, uh, "shrinkage" of the
pot contents. I'd buy another Thermador in a heartbeat. But next time,
I want the really wide one that has two ovens!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove "gotcha"
Janis Tester

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> I don't know about the Viking, but I LOVE my Thermador. I've had a
> JennAir <shudder>,

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the JennAir?
Janis

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 05:52:42 GMT, Janis Tester >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>

>> I don't know about the Viking, but I LOVE my Thermador. I've had a
>> JennAir <shudder>,

>Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the JennAir?
>Janis

Absolutely hated it. It had the downdraft vent that didn't work worth
a damn, the gas jets were too small and the oven racks had too few
levels. Had a "grill" with "briquettes" that I wouldn't wish on my
worst enemy - sonofagun was so hard to clean that I only used it once.
It's a real light weight.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove "gotcha"
hahabogus

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 05:52:42 GMT, Janis Tester >
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:
>
>>In article >,
>> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>>

>>> I don't know about the Viking, but I LOVE my Thermador. I've had a
>>> JennAir <shudder>,

>>Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the JennAir?
>>Janis

> Absolutely hated it. It had the downdraft vent that didn't work worth
> a damn, the gas jets were too small and the oven racks had too few
> levels. Had a "grill" with "briquettes" that I wouldn't wish on my
> worst enemy - sonofagun was so hard to clean that I only used it once.
> It's a real light weight.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove "gotcha"

A guy I know melted part of his JennAir. I forget which part and the guy
doesn't work with me any more so I can't find out.

Must be 'good quality' if parts melt. A check list when buying an oven
should have "Does it melt?" in the top 5 questions you ask.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
sf

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:59:43 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> A guy I know melted part of his JennAir. I forget which part and the guy
> doesn't work with me any more so I can't find out.

I bet it was the oven light socket. I had this conversation
with someone on rfc AFTER I bought & installed my JennAire
wall oven.

mgeost

No offense intended-

When you're done playing around, buy a Garland.

(Nikki Jones) wrote in message . com>...
> I am thinking of buying a Viking Range online but several friends have
> mentioned Thermadoor which a local store sells. I found some Vikings
> at Rob's Applicances
http://rob.fateback.com but there is not a local
> store in our area and all I have seen of them has been in other
> people's homes and commercial ones. The Vikings look like a better
> unit than Thermadoor does anyone have a preference between the two?

21Twelve

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
news
> I don't know about the Viking, but I LOVE my Thermador. I've had a
> JennAir <shudder>, Thermador and a Dacor and the Thermador is hands
> down my favorite. "

Was there a problem with the Dacor? I'm leaning toward installing one of
the new ones in my new kitchen...as well as their dual wall ovens...

Thanks for any info...
david

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 07:00:42 -0700, "21Twelve"
> arranged random neurons, so they
looked like this:

>"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>news >
>> I don't know about the Viking, but I LOVE my Thermador. I've had a
>> JennAir <shudder>, Thermador and a Dacor and the Thermador is hands
>> down my favorite. "

>Was there a problem with the Dacor? I'm leaning toward installing one of
>the new ones in my new kitchen...as well as their dual wall ovens...

I *hated* the knobs, or lack thereof. They were, AFAICR, digital and I
had to bend over to read them. May sound like a stupid reason for
discounting the Dacor, but when you have to deal with the same
irritating feature every day...