hahabogus

Default What I'm cooking to break this cold weather spell

Since the weather seems wacky, I'm going to cook up some Clam Chowder.
Actually Corn and Clam chowder. I think the shock of me cooking some Autumn
Soup will straighten all these weather complaints.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Alan's Corn And Clam Chowder

soups

3-6 slices bacon; chopped
3 cup Clam stock (redi base clam stock paste)
1 large onion; chopped (a sweet onion, wallawalla)
1 stalk leeks white only; sliced thin
2 ribs celery; chopped (with leaves)
1 medium carrot, peeled, chopped
1 red bell pepper; chopped
0.5 teaspoon dried rosemary
0.5 teaspoon dried taragon
0.5 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cup half and half
1 lb red-skinned potatoes, peeled,; 1/2 inch diced
1 8 oz bottle clam juice
1 15 oz can can creamed corn
3 10 oz cans baby clams /juice from cans; added earlier
salt and pepper; to taste
just in case instant potatoes see note; for thickening, If you don't have
left over mashed potatoes laying around.

Use the pot you are going to make the chowder in. A thick bottomed pot w
lid. Sauté bacon in heavy medium pot over medium heat until fat begins to
render, about 3 minutes. Add onion, celery, leek,red pepper and carrot and
sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Add thyme and
other spices; stir 30 seconds. Thyme is very good in this. Add potatoes,
clam juice, juice from clam cans and clam stock . Cover pot, reduce heat
to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Variable depends on size of dice. Add creamed corn and clams with juices
plus the half and half; simmer about 2 minutes. Careful here don't over
cook clams. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Note: If the broth is too thin, thicken by adding mashed or instant
potatoes (1 or 2 handfuls is usually enough). Do not over-cook as clams
will get chewy.
It doesn't take long to thicken with instant potatoes...on or off the
heat. Just stir lots. The flaked instant potatoes work better, don't clump
up as much.

Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
sf

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:32:59 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Since the weather seems wacky, I'm going to cook up some Clam Chowder.
> Actually Corn and Clam chowder. I think the shock of me cooking some Autumn
> Soup will straighten all these weather complaints.
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Alan's Corn And Clam Chowder

Mmmm. I love clam & corn chowder... that's a must do soon
recipe.

I made pot roast today and it was very satisfying!

sf
sf

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:32:59 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Since the weather seems wacky, I'm going to cook up some Clam Chowder.
> Actually Corn and Clam chowder. I think the shock of me cooking some Autumn
> Soup will straighten all these weather complaints.
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Alan's Corn And Clam Chowder

Mmmm. I love clam & corn chowder... that's a must do soon
recipe.

I made pot roast today and it was very satisfying!

sf
sf

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:32:59 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Since the weather seems wacky, I'm going to cook up some Clam Chowder.
> Actually Corn and Clam chowder. I think the shock of me cooking some Autumn
> Soup will straighten all these weather complaints.
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Alan's Corn And Clam Chowder

Mmmm. I love clam & corn chowder... that's a must do soon
recipe.

I made pot roast today and it was very satisfying!

sf
sf

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:04:51 -0000, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> It's not too bad is it? It's supposed to warm up over the weekend. I hope
> so, I'm throwing a small party for a friend of mine that has had some
> surgery and complications. Sunday is the day for the cup party and I'd
> like to use the patio and crank up the grill.

Awww! It may be cool, but think of warming your hands over
the fire... and don't let the weather stop you unless it's
raining.

sf

jmcquown

Default User wrote:
> hahabogus wrote:
>>
>> Since the weather seems wacky, I'm going to cook up some Clam
>> Chowder. Actually Corn and Clam chowder. I think the shock of me
>> cooking some Autumn Soup will straighten all these weather
>> complaints.

> Ack! Stop that! I like having highs in 60's in St. Louis is August.
>
> Brian Rodenbonr

Yeah, but he's in Canada. If fall comes early to St. Louis just think what
it's gonna do way up *there*!

Jill

jmcquown

> hahabogus wrote:
>>
>> Since the weather seems wacky, I'm going to cook up some Clam
>> Chowder. Actually Corn and Clam chowder. I think the shock of me
>> cooking some Autumn Soup will straighten all these weather
>> complaints.

> Ack! Stop that! I like having highs in 60's in St. Louis is August.
>
> Brian Rodenbonr

Yeah, but he's in Canada. If fall comes early to St. Louis just think what
it's gonna do way up *there*!

Jill

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:22:06 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Default User wrote:
>> hahabogus wrote:
>>>
>>> Since the weather seems wacky, I'm going to cook up some Clam
>>> Chowder. Actually Corn and Clam chowder. I think the shock of me
>>> cooking some Autumn Soup will straighten all these weather
>>> complaints.

>> Ack! Stop that! I like having highs in 60's in St. Louis is August.
>>
>> Brian Rodenbonr

>Yeah, but he's in Canada. If fall comes early to St. Louis just think what
>it's gonna do way up *there*!

I guess you are right, but this has been th ebest August in the 27
years I have lived in NYC.

The last two weekends we have been able to anchor up the Hudson and
sleep comfortably on our sailboat. The Hudson is often a sauna at this
time of year.

To put this on topic, cooking is done on a propane range with burners
that are almost completely on-off. Las Sat nite was Bluefish, caught
Friday in LI Sound. Served with black trumpets from the Catskills.

Salad of local tomatoes with basil, garlic chives.

Last week was pasta with fresh cepes (porcini) from the Catskills.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood

Casseroles for this cold weather graham[_4_] General Cooking 23 09-01-2017 02:21 AM
cold spell Somebody General Cooking 0 07-10-2012 02:49 PM
Cold Weather [email protected] General Cooking 5 31-03-2008 06:34 PM
testing the cold weather Eric Reichenbach Wine 6 05-02-2004 12:18 AM
Cold weather grilling Derek O. Barbecue 28 24-11-2003 07:37 PM