Default Old NY style pizza

I seen a special on the History channel, about how pizza was made back
in the very early 1900, in the very begriming in NY city. They put a
pizza in a very hot oven and the pizza came out with a thin and crispy
crust. Does any one know how the crust and sauce was made ?
thanks
Jack Schidt®

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message

> > I seen a special on the History channel, about how pizza was made back
> > in the very early 1900, in the very begriming in NY city. They put a
> > pizza in a very hot oven and the pizza came out with a thin and crispy
> > crust. Does any one know how the crust and sauce was made ?
> > thanks

> You're confusing a few things. It wasn't the oven that determined the
> thinness of the crust. It was thin before it went in. The extreme heat
> of wood-fired or coal-fired ovens cooked it crisply. You can't get
> that level of heat in your home oven.
>
> Crust is basic bread; water, flour, yeast, salt and sometimes a little
> oil. Sauce is one of many, many that would be acceptable. Not rocket
> science.
>
> Pastorio

In addition to what Bob said, the old time pizza joints used (some still do)
coal fired ovens with very high internal temps. This baked the pie quickly
and crisply. There's no substitute for this kind of pizza.

Another pizza factoid: when you see someone twirling the dough up in the
air, that's bread dough and not pizza dough. Real pizza dough would fall
apart under that kinda treatment. So sez Mrs. Consiglio, owner of Sally's
in New Haven.

Here's a good page that was put together for the upcoming convention in the
city. It has some nice articles for those from the flyover states coming to
visit:
http://www.sliceny.com/gopizza/

Jack Pie

Kenneth

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:17:13 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:

>Unfortunately the oven is important. :-(

Howdy,

A massive baking stone can easily be brought to a temperature about
200F higher than the (home) oven's nominal maximum.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

PENMART01

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

>>Unfortunately the oven is important. :-(

>A massive baking stone can easily be brought to a temperature about
>200F higher than the (home) oven's nominal maximum.

If you could show us how then the price of oil would drop to about 2˘ a gallon
and all the friggin' muslim scum buckets could go about screwing their
camels... plus you'd win the Nobel Prize.... but thou art the EPITOMY of a
****ING IDIOT! I won't even ask what's a "nominal maximus"... sounds like a
disease where you're afflicted with a small asshole and full of big shit.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

>>Unfortunately the oven is important. :-(

>A massive baking stone can easily be brought to a temperature about
>200F higher than the (home) oven's nominal maximum.

If you could show us how then the price of oil would drop to about 2˘ a gallon
and all the friggin' muslim scum buckets could go about screwing their
camels... plus you'd win the Nobel Prize.... but thou art the EPITOMY of a
****ING IDIOT! I won't even ask what's a "nominal maximus"... sounds like a
disease where you're afflicted with a small asshole and full of big shit.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:47:32 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:17:13 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately the oven is important. :-(

>Howdy,
>
>A massive baking stone can easily be brought to a temperature about
>200F higher than the (home) oven's nominal maximum.

Interesting, although still not up to the 900-1000 degrees of the
traditional oven. How do you do it?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:47:32 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:17:13 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately the oven is important. :-(

>Howdy,
>
>A massive baking stone can easily be brought to a temperature about
>200F higher than the (home) oven's nominal maximum.

Interesting, although still not up to the 900-1000 degrees of the
traditional oven. How do you do it?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Bob (this one)

Kenneth wrote:

> A massive baking stone can easily be brought to a temperature about
> 200F higher than the (home) oven's nominal maximum.

Broiler, I assume you mean.

But then there's no easy way to see what the temp actually is without
serious equipment. And the broiler would have to be turned off before
doing the pizza, I'd say. Scorch the top, crisp the bottom but
anything in between might not cook well. Worth some experimentation.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Wayne wrote:

> Bob, do you think one could make an ultra thin crust and prebake as hot
> as possible (around 550 degrees F.), then top and rebake, and achieve a
> thin and somewhat crispy crust like that?
>
> Just curious...

I think so. But it would require some critical timing. Have to move
fast or the crust would soften.

Pastorio

Kenneth

On 11 Aug 2004 01:23:28 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

>>Kenneth (who failed basic science) writes:
>>

>Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
>>
>>>Unfortunately the oven is important. :-(

>>A massive baking stone can easily be brought to a temperature about
>>200F higher than the (home) oven's nominal maximum.

>If you could show us how then the price of oil would drop to about 2˘ a gallon
>and all the friggin' muslim scum buckets could go about screwing their
>camels... plus you'd win the Nobel Prize.... but thou art the EPITOMY of a
>****ING IDIOT! I won't even ask what's a "nominal maximus"... sounds like a
>disease where you're afflicted with a small asshole and full of big shit.
>
>---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
>Sheldon
>````````````

Hello again,

Sheldon, you know a bit more about infantile invective than you do
about (high school) physics, so, here goes:

An empty home oven is essentially a box of heated air.

It has a thermostat that tests the temperature of the air. The oven's
"nominal maximum" is just the highest temperature to which the oven
can be set. Let's assume for the sake of this conversation, that the
maximum to which the oven can be set is 500F.

Let's assume that we have set the oven to that maximum and that the
oven has run for a while. When the thermostat measures the internal
temperature of the oven and finds it to be 500F the thermostat turns
the heat source off. The air in the oven soon starts to cool off, and
eventually, the thermostat turns the heat source on. Of course, the
heat source does not kick on when the thermostat senses a drop in
temperature of only a degree or two. It is typically set to cycle on
and off with a differential of 20 or 30 degrees. There are other names
for that "gap", but it is sometimes called the thermostat's "swing."

In any case the oven heats to the "maximum" temperature, turns of for
a while, cools a bit, heats to the maximum again, cools etc. as its
heat source cycles maintaining a temperature somewhere around the 500F
to which we had it set.

(Are you still with me Sheldon...? It is about to get more
complicated...)

Now, suppose that our oven were not empty, but instead had a heavy
slab of stone on a grate.

As before, the oven would heat to an air temperature of 500F (the
nominal maximum) but that would take much longer than in our first
example because the stone absorbs a tremendous amount of heat; but,
eventually, as before, the thermostat would sense that the temperature
of the air in the oven had reached 500F.

Then, as before, the thermostat would turn off the heat source, sense
the temperature of the internal air, turning the heat source on again
when the temperature of the air got sufficiently low.

But, (Sheldon?), the stone will not cool off as quickly as would the
air in the oven. It took a long time to heat up, and it will take a
long time to cool.

So, with each cycle of the thermostat, the stone slowly gets hotter
than the surrounding air.

I did just this for about fifteen years. The maximum temperature to
which my oven could be set was (IIRC) 500F and (though it took a
while) I could get the stone up to about 750F. I measured it
temperature with an accurate contact thermometer.

It works. It's easy. And it is certainly worth a try for anyone who
wants to do a great pizza in their home oven.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

> [...]

of the air in the oven had reached 500F.

Then, as before, the thermostat would turn off the heat source, sense
the temperature of the internal air, turning the heat source on again
when the temperature of the air got sufficiently low.

But, (Sheldon?), the stone will not cool off as quickly as would the
air in the oven. It took a long time to heat up, and it will take a
long time to cool.

So, with each cycle of the thermostat, the stone slowly gets hotter
than the surrounding air.

I did just this for about fifteen years. The maximum temperature to
which my oven could be set was (IIRC) 500F and (though it took a
while) I could get the stone up to about 750F. I measured it
temperature with an accurate contact thermometer.

It works. It's easy. And it is certainly worth a try for anyone who
wants to do a great pizza in their home oven.

Wayne

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Bob, do you think one could make an ultra thin crust and prebake as hot
>> as possible (around 550 degrees F.), then top and rebake, and achieve a
>> thin and somewhat crispy crust like that?
>>
>> Just curious...

> I think so. But it would require some critical timing. Have to move
> fast or the crust would soften.
>
> Pastorio

It's worth a try. I'll probably experiment with that. Thanks.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Bob, do you think one could make an ultra thin crust and prebake as hot
>> as possible (around 550 degrees F.), then top and rebake, and achieve a
>> thin and somewhat crispy crust like that?
>>
>> Just curious...

> I think so. But it would require some critical timing. Have to move
> fast or the crust would soften.
>
> Pastorio

It's worth a try. I'll probably experiment with that. Thanks.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Nancy Dooley

> Another pizza factoid: when you see someone twirling the dough up in the
> air, that's bread dough and not pizza dough. Real pizza dough would fall
> apart under that kinda treatment. So sez Mrs. Consiglio, owner of Sally's
> in New Haven.
>
> Here's a good page that was put together for the upcoming convention in the
> city. It has some nice articles for those from the flyover states coming to
> visit: http://www.sliceny.com/gopizza/
>
> Jack Pie

With all due respect to Ms. Consiglio, I don't believe there is any
consensus on "real pizza."

I saw pizza-dough twirlers do it live in San Remo, Italy. I've seen
food shows with Italian chefs who do it. I have a recipe from Miami
from the '50s, that came from an Italian-American pizza maker, and it
doesn't fall apart.

N.

PENMART01

(PENMART01) wrote:

>>>Kenneth (who failed basic science) writes:

>>>A massive baking stone can easily be brought to a temperature about
>>>200F higher than the (home) oven's nominal maximum.

>>If you could show us how then the price of oil would drop to about 2˘ a

>gallon
>>and all the friggin' muslim scum buckets could go about screwing their
>>camels... plus you'd win the Nobel Prize.... but thou art the EPITOMY of a
>>****ING IDIOT! I won't even ask what's a "nominal maximus"... sounds like a
>>disease where you're afflicted with a small asshole and full of big shit.

>An empty home oven is essentially a box of heated air.
>
>It has a thermostat that tests the temperature of the air. The oven's
>"nominal maximum" is just the highest temperature to which the oven
>can be set. Let's assume for the sake of this conversation, that the
>maximum to which the oven can be set is 500F.
>
>Let's assume that we have set the oven to that maximum and that the
>oven has run for a while. When the thermostat measures the internal
>temperature of the oven and finds it to be 500F the thermostat turns
>the heat source off. The air in the oven soon starts to cool off, and
>eventually, the thermostat turns the heat source on. Of course, the
>heat source does not kick on when the thermostat senses a drop in
>temperature of only a degree or two. It is typically set to cycle on
>and off with a differential of 20 or 30 degrees. There are other names
>for that "gap", but it is sometimes called the thermostat's "swing."

The device built into modern thermostats is called an "anticipator", it shuts
the heat source off *before* that which is being heated reaches the set
temperature, works the same with home heating/cooliing systems... keeps
temperature swings to a minimum... typically a properly functioning oven will
operate at the set temperature +/- 3F.

>In any case the oven heats to the "maximum" temperature, turns of for
>a while, cools a bit, heats to the maximum again, cools etc. as its
>heat source cycles maintaining a temperature somewhere around the 500F
>to which we had it set.
>
>Now, suppose that our oven were not empty, but instead had a heavy
>slab of stone on a grate.
>
>As before, the oven would heat to an air temperature of 500F (the
>nominal maximum) but that would take much longer than in our first
>example because the stone absorbs a tremendous amount of heat; but,
>eventually, as before, the thermostat would sense that the temperature
>of the air in the oven had reached 500F.
>
>Then, as before, the thermostat would turn off the heat source, sense
>the temperature of the internal air, turning the heat source on again
>when the temperature of the air got sufficiently low.
>
>But, the stone will not cool off as quickly as would the
>air in the oven. It took a long time to heat up, and it will take a
>long time to cool.
>
>So, with each cycle of the thermostat, the stone slowly gets hotter
>than the surrounding air.
>
>I did just this for about fifteen years. The maximum temperature to
>which my oven could be set was (IIRC) 500F and (though it took a
>while) I could get the stone up to about 750F. I measured it
>temperature with an accurate contact thermometer.
>
>It works. It's easy. And it is certainly worth a try for anyone who
>wants to do a great pizza in their home oven.

You're not only a TOTAL IDIOT, you're also a LIAR.

For those with at least half a brain, anything placed into an ordinary
residential oven can become ONLY as hot as the air contained in the oven... the
convection air currents in tandem with the metal of the oven itself will
disperse any heat above that regulated by the thermostat... for those who heat
their homes in winter, does your furniture become hotter than the air contained
by your house... if only it did, you'd need to open all the windows and oil
would cost 2˘/gal.

The only way for a baking stone to become hotter than your oven's thermostat
setting is to MIS-USE/ABUSE the oven by placing it directly on the heating
element, or with gas the stove bottom... of course this will cause the electric
element to fail prematurely, or the oven bottom to warp, negating the
appliance's warranty.... never place a baking stone directly on the oven's
metal bottom, in fact never place anything on the metal bottom, no food, and no
aluminum foil either. For those easily misled idiots who insist on using an
oven stone place it on one of the oven's racks (then it will never become
hotter than the set oven temperature).

For those who don't know, and I expect there are many of you, baking stones
perform one function and one function only, because they're porous they absorb
condensation from under that which is being baked... naturally in the process,
steaming and cooling the area of contact *immediately* to a temperature *lower*
than that of the oven chamber, which then won't reheat to oven temperature
before the baking is completed and that which is being baked is removed, or
that which is being baked burns, whichever occurs first. Baking stones are a
gimmick... if a brick oven is what's desired then that is what you need to
buy... brick ovens are designed so that the heat source is in *direct contact*
with the oven brick.

If residential ovens were meant to use baking stones don't yoose think the
greedy capitalist stove manufacturers would offer one as an option... in fact
the owners manuals warn against using baking stones.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

(PENMART01) wrote:

> [...]

perform one function and one function only, because they're porous they absorb
condensation from under that which is being baked... naturally in the process,
steaming and cooling the area of contact *immediately* to a temperature *lower*
than that of the oven chamber, which then won't reheat to oven temperature
before the baking is completed and that which is being baked is removed, or
that which is being baked burns, whichever occurs first. Baking stones are a
gimmick... if a brick oven is what's desired then that is what you need to
buy... brick ovens are designed so that the heat source is in *direct contact*
with the oven brick.

If residential ovens were meant to use baking stones don't yoose think the
greedy capitalist stove manufacturers would offer one as an option... in fact
the owners manuals warn against using baking stones.

PENMART01

>> Another pizza factoid: when you see someone twirling the dough up in the
>> air, that's bread dough and not pizza dough. Real pizza dough would fall
>> apart under that kinda treatment. So sez Mrs. Consiglio, owner of Sally's
>> in New Haven.
>> Jack Pie

Um, pizza dough IS bread dough. Sally is simply envious due to her poor
hand-eye coordination, but she compensates... which is why she excels in tongue
twirling... sometimes she even opens her eyes to check for approval.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>> Another pizza factoid: when you see someone twirling the dough up in the
>> air, that's bread dough and not pizza dough. Real pizza dough would fall
>> apart under that kinda treatment. So sez Mrs. Consiglio, owner of Sally's
>> in New Haven.
>> Jack Pie

Um, pizza dough IS bread dough. Sally is simply envious due to her poor
hand-eye coordination, but she compensates... which is why she excels in tongue
twirling... sometimes she even opens her eyes to check for approval.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Perhaps its a matter of taste,
or what you grow up with.

I've had pizza that had a "cracker-like" crust.

"Not my first choice"

I assumed it was either an old batch of dough,
or a cold oven.....

You mean this was intentional ?

I like thin crust.... but I want to see some yeast action.

<rj>

Nancy Dooley

hahabogus > wrote in message >.. .
> (Nancy Dooley) wrote in
> om:
>
> > I have a recipe from Miami
> > from the '50s, that came from an Italian-American pizza maker, and it
> > doesn't fall apart.
> >

> Could you please post it. Thanks.

This is a thin-crust pizza dough:

1 pkg. yeast
1 tsp. lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. shortening
2 C. boiling water
6 C. sifted flour

Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or
finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over
and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
deg. F. for about 20 minutes.

Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)

N.

Jack Schidt®

"Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
om...
> hahabogus > wrote in message

>.. .
> > (Nancy Dooley) wrote in
> > om:
> >
> > > I have a recipe from Miami
> > > from the '50s, that came from an Italian-American pizza maker, and it
> > > doesn't fall apart.
> > >

> > Could you please post it. Thanks.

> This is a thin-crust pizza dough:
>
> 1 pkg. yeast
> 1 tsp. lukewarm water
> 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
> 2 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 C. shortening
> 2 C. boiling water
> 6 C. sifted flour
>
> Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
> boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
> and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
> flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
> Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
> Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
> inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
> double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or
> finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over
> and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
> mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
> deg. F. for about 20 minutes.
>
> Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
> recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
> tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)
>
> N.

1/4" thick before rising? That's thicker than NY or New Haven thin crust.
You have to hold the slice with both hands as it's so thin it flexes. Of
course, I agree that you could toss/twirl your dough up in the air.

Jack Thin

Jack Schidt®

"Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
om...
> hahabogus > wrote in message

>.. .
> > (Nancy Dooley) wrote in
> > om:
> >
> > > I have a recipe from Miami
> > > from the '50s, that came from an Italian-American pizza maker, and it
> > > doesn't fall apart.
> > >

> > Could you please post it. Thanks.

> This is a thin-crust pizza dough:
>
> 1 pkg. yeast
> 1 tsp. lukewarm water
> 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
> 2 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 C. shortening
> 2 C. boiling water
> 6 C. sifted flour
>
> Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
> boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
> and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
> flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
> Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
> Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
> inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
> double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or
> finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over
> and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
> mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
> deg. F. for about 20 minutes.
>
> Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
> recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
> tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)
>
> N.

1/4" thick before rising? That's thicker than NY or New Haven thin crust.
You have to hold the slice with both hands as it's so thin it flexes. Of
course, I agree that you could toss/twirl your dough up in the air.

Jack Thin

Jack Schidt®

"Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
om...
> hahabogus > wrote in message

>.. .
> > (Nancy Dooley) wrote in
> > om:
> >
> > > I have a recipe from Miami
> > > from the '50s, that came from an Italian-American pizza maker, and it
> > > doesn't fall apart.
> > >

> > Could you please post it. Thanks.

> This is a thin-crust pizza dough:
>
> 1 pkg. yeast
> 1 tsp. lukewarm water
> 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
> 2 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 C. shortening
> 2 C. boiling water
> 6 C. sifted flour
>
> Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
> boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
> and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
> flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
> Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
> Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
> inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
> double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or
> finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over
> and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
> mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
> deg. F. for about 20 minutes.
>
> Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
> recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
> tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)
>
> N.

1/4" thick before rising? That's thicker than NY or New Haven thin crust.
You have to hold the slice with both hands as it's so thin it flexes. Of
course, I agree that you could toss/twirl your dough up in the air.

Jack Thin

Driver

Default Old NY style pizza -- pane per pizza

I have a recipe, my guess is pre-WWII, from my mother, more than likely
given to her by the Italian/Sicilian-rich culture in which she grew up. The
dough in this recipe turns out great.

In its entirety, with cultural title:

Pane Per Pizza

Ingredients

2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
1 pkg. 7 gm. Active Dry Yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs. lukewarm
water.

Procedure

Place flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Make hole in center and add
egg yolk and yeast mixture.
Mix with fork gradually, then hands.
Knead until smooth.
Place in large bowl, cover with damp towel and let rise in warm place for
2 hours.
Use whole for thick crust or halved for thinner crust
12 in. (30 cm) pan works well.

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
> om...
> > hahabogus > wrote in message

> >.. .
> > > (Nancy Dooley) wrote in
> > > om:

it

> > > Could you please post it. Thanks.

> > This is a thin-crust pizza dough:
> >
> > 1 pkg. yeast
> > 1 tsp. lukewarm water
> > 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
> > 2 1/2 tsp. salt
> > 1/2 C. shortening
> > 2 C. boiling water
> > 6 C. sifted flour
> >
> > Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
> > boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
> > and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
> > flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
> > Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
> > Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
> > inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
> > double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or
> > finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over
> > and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
> > mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
> > deg. F. for about 20 minutes.
> >
> > Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
> > recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
> > tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)
> >
> > N.

> 1/4" thick before rising? That's thicker than NY or New Haven thin crust.
> You have to hold the slice with both hands as it's so thin it flexes. Of
> course, I agree that you could toss/twirl your dough up in the air.
>
> Jack Thin

Driver

I have a recipe, my guess is pre-WWII, from my mother, more than likely
given to her by the Italian/Sicilian-rich culture in which she grew up. The
dough in this recipe turns out great.

In its entirety, with cultural title:

Pane Per Pizza

Ingredients

2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
1 pkg. 7 gm. Active Dry Yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs. lukewarm
water.

Procedure

Place flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Make hole in center and add
egg yolk and yeast mixture.
Mix with fork gradually, then hands.
Knead until smooth.
Place in large bowl, cover with damp towel and let rise in warm place for
2 hours.
Use whole for thick crust or halved for thinner crust
12 in. (30 cm) pan works well.

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
> om...
> > hahabogus > wrote in message

> >.. .
> > > (Nancy Dooley) wrote in
> > > om:

it

> > > Could you please post it. Thanks.

> > This is a thin-crust pizza dough:
> >
> > 1 pkg. yeast
> > 1 tsp. lukewarm water
> > 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
> > 2 1/2 tsp. salt
> > 1/2 C. shortening
> > 2 C. boiling water
> > 6 C. sifted flour
> >
> > Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
> > boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
> > and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
> > flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
> > Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
> > Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
> > inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
> > double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or
> > finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over
> > and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
> > mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
> > deg. F. for about 20 minutes.
> >
> > Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
> > recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
> > tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)
> >
> > N.

> 1/4" thick before rising? That's thicker than NY or New Haven thin crust.
> You have to hold the slice with both hands as it's so thin it flexes. Of
> course, I agree that you could toss/twirl your dough up in the air.
>
> Jack Thin

Bob (this one)

Driver wrote:

> I have a recipe, my guess is pre-WWII, from my mother, more than likely=

> given to her by the Italian/Sicilian-rich culture in which she grew up.=

Not likely. The units of measure are American. Yeast didn't come in=20
packets like that back then. The type of flour would likely have been=20
more specifically mentioned in an Italian recipe.

It looks like most of my mother's translations of her mother's=20
Sicilian recipes. Not to say it isn't good, just to say it's more=20
modern and more American than the date or cultural reference says.

Pastorio

> The dough in this recipe turns out great.
>=20
> In its entirety, with cultural title:
>=20
> Pane Per Pizza
>=20
> Ingredients
> 2 cups sifted flour
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1 egg yolk
> 1 pkg. 7 gm. Active Dry Yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs. lukewarm=

> water.
>=20
> Procedure
>=20
> Place flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Make hole in center and a=

dd
> egg yolk and yeast mixture.
> Mix with fork gradually, then hands.
> Knead until smooth.
> Place in large bowl, cover with damp towel and let rise in warm place=

for
> 2 hours.
> Use whole for thick crust or halved for thinner crust
> 12 in. (30 cm) pan works well.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "Jack Schidt=AE" > wrote in message
>=20
>>"Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
.com...

>>>hahabogus > wrote in message

(Nancy Dooley) wrote in
le.com:

>=20
> it
>=20

>>>This is a thin-crust pizza dough:
>>>
>>>1 pkg. yeast
>>>1 tsp. lukewarm water
>>>1 1/2 tsp. sugar
>>>2 1/2 tsp. salt
>>>1/2 C. shortening
>>>2 C. boiling water
>>>6 C. sifted flour
>>>
>>>Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
>>>boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
>>>and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
>>>flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
>>>Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.=

>>> Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
>>>inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
>>>double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or=

>>>finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over=

>>>and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
>>>mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
>>>deg. F. for about 20 minutes.
>>>
>>>Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
>>>recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
>>>tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)
>>>
>>>N.

>>1/4" thick before rising? That's thicker than NY or New Haven thin cru=

st.
>>You have to hold the slice with both hands as it's so thin it flexes. =

Of
>>course, I agree that you could toss/twirl your dough up in the air.
>>
>>Jack Thin
>>

>=20
>=20
>=20

Bob (this one)

Driver wrote:

> I have a recipe, my guess is pre-WWII, from my mother, more than likely=

> given to her by the Italian/Sicilian-rich culture in which she grew up.=

Not likely. The units of measure are American. Yeast didn't come in=20
packets like that back then. The type of flour would likely have been=20
more specifically mentioned in an Italian recipe.

It looks like most of my mother's translations of her mother's=20
Sicilian recipes. Not to say it isn't good, just to say it's more=20
modern and more American than the date or cultural reference says.

Pastorio

> The dough in this recipe turns out great.
>=20
> In its entirety, with cultural title:
>=20
> Pane Per Pizza
>=20
> Ingredients
> 2 cups sifted flour
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1 egg yolk
> 1 pkg. 7 gm. Active Dry Yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs. lukewarm=

> water.
>=20
> Procedure
>=20
> Place flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Make hole in center and a=

dd
> egg yolk and yeast mixture.
> Mix with fork gradually, then hands.
> Knead until smooth.
> Place in large bowl, cover with damp towel and let rise in warm place=

for
> 2 hours.
> Use whole for thick crust or halved for thinner crust
> 12 in. (30 cm) pan works well.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "Jack Schidt=AE" > wrote in message
>=20
>>"Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
.com...

>>>hahabogus > wrote in message

(Nancy Dooley) wrote in
le.com:

>=20
> it
>=20

>>>This is a thin-crust pizza dough:
>>>
>>>1 pkg. yeast
>>>1 tsp. lukewarm water
>>>1 1/2 tsp. sugar
>>>2 1/2 tsp. salt
>>>1/2 C. shortening
>>>2 C. boiling water
>>>6 C. sifted flour
>>>
>>>Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
>>>boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
>>>and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
>>>flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
>>>Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.=

>>> Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
>>>inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
>>>double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or=

>>>finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over=

>>>and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
>>>mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
>>>deg. F. for about 20 minutes.
>>>
>>>Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
>>>recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
>>>tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)
>>>
>>>N.

>>1/4" thick before rising? That's thicker than NY or New Haven thin cru=

st.
>>You have to hold the slice with both hands as it's so thin it flexes. =

Of
>>course, I agree that you could toss/twirl your dough up in the air.
>>
>>Jack Thin
>>

>=20
>=20
>=20

Nancy Dooley

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message m>...
> "Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
> om...
> > hahabogus > wrote in message

> >.. .
> > > (Nancy Dooley) wrote in
> > > om:

> > > Could you please post it. Thanks.

> > This is a thin-crust pizza dough:
> >
> > 1 pkg. yeast
> > 1 tsp. lukewarm water
> > 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
> > 2 1/2 tsp. salt
> > 1/2 C. shortening
> > 2 C. boiling water
> > 6 C. sifted flour
> >
> > Soften yeast in 1 tsp. water. Put sugar and shortening in bowl; add
> > boiling water and stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm
> > and add yeast mixture, stirring well. Add salt. Add about half the
> > flour, beat thoroughly, and then gradually add the remaining flour.
> > Divide dough into four portions. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
> > Roll out immediately and lightly into four 12-inch rounds about 1/4
> > inch thick. Put on lightly greased cookie sheets and let rise until
> > double. When ready to bake, brush with olive oil, cover with sauce or
> > finely chopped stewed (canned) tomatoes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over
> > and season with salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Arrange
> > mozzarella cheese on top. Add other toppings as desired. Bake 425
> > deg. F. for about 20 minutes.
> >
> > Naturally, the way you do the toppings is your choice; this is the
> > recipe as it was given to my mom in the 50s. Enjoy. (I've never
> > tried to toss the dough, but it is sturdy enough to do so.)
> >
> > N.

> 1/4" thick before rising? That's thicker than NY or New Haven thin crust.
> You have to hold the slice with both hands as it's so thin it flexes. Of
> course, I agree that you could toss/twirl your dough up in the air.
>
> Jack Thin

I don't roll it out, I press it into the pan - it seldom is as thick
as 1/4" when I get done pushing it into the pan. It really doesn't
rise much after it's in the pan. It is flexible. We were told to eat
it in folded-over wedges.

N.