Michael Odom

Default Hiring a caterer?

We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.

Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
having the event catered.

One option is a barbecue man over in Delta County name of Murray.
Murray quote: "You get into barbecue, you get good, or you get out."
He's well regarded hereabouts for his catering. I've had his
barbecue, and it's quite good.

Another option is Zack, a man we know who ran a small truck stop out
by the interstate till recently. He's looking to move on and recently
interviewed with a hotel in Puerto Rico. But he's still here so far.
He does catering and is also well regarded by people whose taste I
respect. I know him better than I know Murray and like him. He's the
one who gave me advice before last spring's chili cook off where I got
whupped. That I was whupped so badly is no reflection on him. I
liked his cooking at the truck stop. He's Cajun, by the way, and has
been in food service and cooking professionally all his adult life.

The last option is that I cook it. I've been eyeing a new smoker pit
at a welding shop over by the county seat. It's a big un. I have a
brisket in the freezer and the market here in Cow Hill has them on
sale right now. With the new pit (ca. $350) I could smoke a couple of
briskets, a chicken or two, and some veggies (eggplant, e.g.) for them
as don't eat meat. I could make salads -- fruit, green, marinated
grilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.

Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
PENMART01

>Michael Odom writes:
>
>We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
>We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
>department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
>from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
>responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
>Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
>60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
>having the event catered.
>
>One option is a barbecue man over in Delta County name of Murray.
>Murray quote: "You get into barbecue, you get good, or you get out."
>He's well regarded hereabouts for his catering. I've had his
>barbecue, and it's quite good.
>
>Another option is Zack, a man we know who ran a small truck stop out
>by the interstate till recently. He's looking to move on and recently
>interviewed with a hotel in Puerto Rico. But he's still here so far.
>He does catering and is also well regarded by people whose taste I
>respect. I know him better than I know Murray and like him. He's the
>one who gave me advice before last spring's chili cook off where I got
>whupped. That I was whupped so badly is no reflection on him. I
>liked his cooking at the truck stop. He's Cajun, by the way, and has
>been in food service and cooking professionally all his adult life.
>
>The last option is that I cook it. I've been eyeing a new smoker pit
>at a welding shop over by the county seat. It's a big un. I have a
>brisket in the freezer and the market here in Cow Hill has them on
>sale right now. With the new pit (ca. $350) I could smoke a couple of
>briskets, a chicken or two, and some veggies (eggplant, e.g.) for them
>as don't eat meat. I could make salads -- fruit, green, marinated
>grilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.
>
>Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
>but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

For feeding that many choosing between a caterer who will likely bring some
assistants and equipment, vs just you going it alone it's a no brainer, I'd opt
for the caterer.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Michael Odom writes:
>
>We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
>We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
>department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
>from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
>responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
>Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
>60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
>having the event catered.
>
>One option is a barbecue man over in Delta County name of Murray.
>Murray quote: "You get into barbecue, you get good, or you get out."
>He's well regarded hereabouts for his catering. I've had his
>barbecue, and it's quite good.
>
>Another option is Zack, a man we know who ran a small truck stop out
>by the interstate till recently. He's looking to move on and recently
>interviewed with a hotel in Puerto Rico. But he's still here so far.
>He does catering and is also well regarded by people whose taste I
>respect. I know him better than I know Murray and like him. He's the
>one who gave me advice before last spring's chili cook off where I got
>whupped. That I was whupped so badly is no reflection on him. I
>liked his cooking at the truck stop. He's Cajun, by the way, and has
>been in food service and cooking professionally all his adult life.
>
>The last option is that I cook it. I've been eyeing a new smoker pit
>at a welding shop over by the county seat. It's a big un. I have a
>brisket in the freezer and the market here in Cow Hill has them on
>sale right now. With the new pit (ca. $350) I could smoke a couple of
>briskets, a chicken or two, and some veggies (eggplant, e.g.) for them
>as don't eat meat. I could make salads -- fruit, green, marinated
>grilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.
>
>Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
>but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

For feeding that many choosing between a caterer who will likely bring some
assistants and equipment, vs just you going it alone it's a no brainer, I'd opt
for the caterer.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
zuuum

As the other follow-up poster said, don't kill yourself.. let one of the
caterers busy themselves. Otherwise, you'll hardly have a second for
anything but production and serving, especially if you have never provided
for a group of this size. Enjoy the event with your associates. Your other
options sound quite good if they are available. It is obvious that you have
full confidence in either of the people you mentioned AND you are familiar
with their food.

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people.

[snip]

> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.
>
> One option is a barbecue man

[snip]
> He's well regarded hereabouts for his catering. I've had his
> barbecue, and it's quite good.
>
> Another option is

[snip]
> liked his cooking at the truck stop. He's Cajun, by the way, and has
> been in food service and cooking professionally all his adult life.
>
> The last option is that I cook it.

[snip]

> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

zuuum

As the other follow-up poster said, don't kill yourself.. let one of the
caterers busy themselves. Otherwise, you'll hardly have a second for
anything but production and serving, especially if you have never provided
for a group of this size. Enjoy the event with your associates. Your other
options sound quite good if they are available. It is obvious that you have
full confidence in either of the people you mentioned AND you are familiar
with their food.

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people.

[snip]

> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.
>
> One option is a barbecue man

[snip]
> He's well regarded hereabouts for his catering. I've had his
> barbecue, and it's quite good.
>
> Another option is

[snip]
> liked his cooking at the truck stop. He's Cajun, by the way, and has
> been in food service and cooking professionally all his adult life.
>
> The last option is that I cook it.

[snip]

> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

Wayne

Michael Odom > wrote in
:

> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.

Hire the caterer; enjoy the catered affair. Seriously, as much as you
enjoy cooking, you may not enjoy cooking for 55-60 people, and it doesn't
stop there. For one thing, as good a cook as you may be (and I suspect
you're very good), the numbers could be daunting. You'll need time and
energy to play "host" to that crowd and you won't want to spend the entire
time concerned with cooking and serving.

Either option sounds good, but it's really a personal choice. Both sound
well-experienced, so consider what type of meal each could offer.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Michael Odom
> wrote:
rilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.

> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

Hire a cook and enjoy your party.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Michael Odom
> wrote:
rilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.

> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

Hire a cook and enjoy your party.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Julia Altshuler

Michael Odom wrote:

> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

Hire. In addition to paying for the professional caterer's labor and
expertise, you'll be getting the professional's equipment. The
professional will have the refrigeration necessary to feed a crowd of
that size safely. We could all help you think of things you didn't
think of yourself, things like refrigeration and electricity for that
rented refrigeration and hiring high school students to help serve and
making allowances for garbage containers and hauling away garbage and a
vehicle in which to haul away garbage, but it is so much better to have
someone who has done it before to think of all these details.

--Lia

T E

Tue, Aug 3, 2004, 8:38pm (Michael=A0Odom) Wrote:
[...]
response: If I was you better get a price quote fast, then make your
decision.
Around here the normal starting price per head for a catered affair is
$55.00 and that's coming to your home.

Curly Sue

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:38:35 -0500, Michael Odom >
wrote:

>We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
>We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
>department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
>from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
>responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
>Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
>60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
>having the event catered.

I just worked on a high school graduation shindig of that many people,
I enjoyed it but it wasn't a high stress situation of two whole
workplace departments, just lots of families. In fact, most of the
guests were the guest of honor's friends. I didn't know them and
didn't need to circulate.

OTOH, the parents and siblings of the GOH did a lot of the other
work--- renting tables, chairs, tents, procuring supplies,
refreshments, coolers, ingredients, finding refrigerator and freezer
space, and other things that a caterer could do if you don't have the
time/inclination.

>The last option is that I cook it. I've been eyeing a new smoker pit
>at a welding shop over by the county seat. It's a big un. I have a
>brisket in the freezer and the market here in Cow Hill has them on
>sale right now. With the new pit (ca. $350) I could smoke a couple of
>briskets, a chicken or two, and some veggies (eggplant, e.g.) for them
>as don't eat meat. I could make salads -- fruit, green, marinated
>grilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.
>
>Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
>but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

It will take a lot of time for a couple of weeks. If you have the
free time, the planning and organization skills, and assistance and
cooperation from your nearest & dearest, you could do it and might
enjoy it. Your menu sounds like a low-maintenance one- i.e., once the
party starts you don't have to personally fuss and can mingle with
guests. Also, at the end, you'll have a new pit.

Or you could work with a caterer. That will still take some time and
worry :>

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

wrote:

>We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
>We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
>department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
>from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
>responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
>Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
>60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
>having the event catered.

I just worked on a high school graduation shindig of that many people,
I enjoyed it but it wasn't a high stress situation of two whole
workplace departments, just lots of families. In fact, most of the
guests were the guest of honor's friends. I didn't know them and
didn't need to circulate.

OTOH, the parents and siblings of the GOH did a lot of the other
work--- renting tables, chairs, tents, procuring supplies,
refreshments, coolers, ingredients, finding refrigerator and freezer
space, and other things that a caterer could do if you don't have the
time/inclination.

>The last option is that I cook it. I've been eyeing a new smoker pit
>at a welding shop over by the county seat. It's a big un. I have a
>brisket in the freezer and the market here in Cow Hill has them on
>sale right now. With the new pit (ca. $350) I could smoke a couple of
>briskets, a chicken or two, and some veggies (eggplant, e.g.) for them
>as don't eat meat. I could make salads -- fruit, green, marinated
>grilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.
>
>Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
>but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

It will take a lot of time for a couple of weeks. If you have the
free time, the planning and organization skills, and assistance and
cooperation from your nearest & dearest, you could do it and might
enjoy it. Your menu sounds like a low-maintenance one- i.e., once the
party starts you don't have to personally fuss and can mingle with
guests. Also, at the end, you'll have a new pit.

Or you could work with a caterer. That will still take some time and
worry :>

Sue(tm)
zuuum

"T E" > wrote in message

>>-------------------------------------------------------------
>>response: If I was you better get a price quote fast, then make your
>>decision.
>>Around here the normal starting price per head for a catered affair is
>>$55.00 and that's coming to your home.

Good point. But is is sounding pretty unanimous. You'll also have time to
hang out with the cooks and pick their brain by just watching.

hahabogus

Michael Odom > wrote in
:

> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.

So it is a tradition and career related. Best to get it catered. That
allows for more time spent talking to friends and associates and enjoying
the evening. Don't forget the million other things/details you need look
after. Porta-potties, drinks, music etc...

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

hahabogus

Michael Odom > wrote in
:

> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.

So it is a tradition and career related. Best to get it catered. That
allows for more time spent talking to friends and associates and enjoying
the evening. Don't forget the million other things/details you need look
after. Porta-potties, drinks, music etc...

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Goomba

Be careful though if you do "hang out with the cooks" because they just
might charge you more.
Hire 'em and leave them alone.

"zuuum" > wrote in message

> "T E" > wrote in message
>
> >>-------------------------------------------------------------
> >>response: If I was you better get a price quote fast, then make your
> >>decision.
> >>Around here the normal starting price per head for a catered affair is
> >>$55.00 and that's coming to your home.

> Good point. But is is sounding pretty unanimous. You'll also have time

> hang out with the cooks and pick their brain by just watching.

Goomba

"zuuum" > wrote in message

> "T E" > wrote in message
>
> >>-------------------------------------------------------------
> >>response: If I was you better get a price quote fast, then make your
> >>decision.
> >>Around here the normal starting price per head for a catered affair is
> >>$55.00 and that's coming to your home.

> Good point. But is is sounding pretty unanimous. You'll also have time

> hang out with the cooks and pick their brain by just watching.

-L. :

Michael Odom > wrote in message >. ..
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.
>
> One option is a barbecue man over in Delta County name of Murray.
> Murray quote: "You get into barbecue, you get good, or you get out."
> He's well regarded hereabouts for his catering. I've had his
> barbecue, and it's quite good.
>
> Another option is Zack, a man we know who ran a small truck stop out
> by the interstate till recently. He's looking to move on and recently
> interviewed with a hotel in Puerto Rico. But he's still here so far.
> He does catering and is also well regarded by people whose taste I
> respect. I know him better than I know Murray and like him. He's the
> one who gave me advice before last spring's chili cook off where I got
> whupped. That I was whupped so badly is no reflection on him. I
> liked his cooking at the truck stop. He's Cajun, by the way, and has
> been in food service and cooking professionally all his adult life.
>
> The last option is that I cook it. I've been eyeing a new smoker pit
> at a welding shop over by the county seat. It's a big un. I have a
> brisket in the freezer and the market here in Cow Hill has them on
> sale right now. With the new pit (ca. $350) I could smoke a couple of
> briskets, a chicken or two, and some veggies (eggplant, e.g.) for them
> as don't eat meat. I could make salads -- fruit, green, marinated
> grilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.
>
> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.
>

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

I entertain large parties and have done both. IMO, I'd hire a grill
master to cook the meat and do the sides/desserts yourself, ahead of
time. Also hire a bartender - they are more than worth what you pay
them.

-L.
-L. :

Michael Odom > wrote in message >. ..
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.
>
> One option is a barbecue man over in Delta County name of Murray.
> Murray quote: "You get into barbecue, you get good, or you get out."
> He's well regarded hereabouts for his catering. I've had his
> barbecue, and it's quite good.
>
> Another option is Zack, a man we know who ran a small truck stop out
> by the interstate till recently. He's looking to move on and recently
> interviewed with a hotel in Puerto Rico. But he's still here so far.
> He does catering and is also well regarded by people whose taste I
> respect. I know him better than I know Murray and like him. He's the
> one who gave me advice before last spring's chili cook off where I got
> whupped. That I was whupped so badly is no reflection on him. I
> liked his cooking at the truck stop. He's Cajun, by the way, and has
> been in food service and cooking professionally all his adult life.
>
> The last option is that I cook it. I've been eyeing a new smoker pit
> at a welding shop over by the county seat. It's a big un. I have a
> brisket in the freezer and the market here in Cow Hill has them on
> sale right now. With the new pit (ca. $350) I could smoke a couple of
> briskets, a chicken or two, and some veggies (eggplant, e.g.) for them
> as don't eat meat. I could make salads -- fruit, green, marinated
> grilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.
>
> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.
>

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

I entertain large parties and have done both. IMO, I'd hire a grill
master to cook the meat and do the sides/desserts yourself, ahead of
time. Also hire a bartender - they are more than worth what you pay
them.

-L.

-L. :

Michael Odom > wrote in message >. ..
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.
>
> One option is a barbecue man over in Delta County name of Murray.
> Murray quote: "You get into barbecue, you get good, or you get out."
> He's well regarded hereabouts for his catering. I've had his
> barbecue, and it's quite good.
>
> Another option is Zack, a man we know who ran a small truck stop out
> by the interstate till recently. He's looking to move on and recently
> interviewed with a hotel in Puerto Rico. But he's still here so far.
> He does catering and is also well regarded by people whose taste I
> respect. I know him better than I know Murray and like him. He's the
> one who gave me advice before last spring's chili cook off where I got
> whupped. That I was whupped so badly is no reflection on him. I
> liked his cooking at the truck stop. He's Cajun, by the way, and has
> been in food service and cooking professionally all his adult life.
>
> The last option is that I cook it. I've been eyeing a new smoker pit
> at a welding shop over by the county seat. It's a big un. I have a
> brisket in the freezer and the market here in Cow Hill has them on
> sale right now. With the new pit (ca. $350) I could smoke a couple of
> briskets, a chicken or two, and some veggies (eggplant, e.g.) for them
> as don't eat meat. I could make salads -- fruit, green, marinated
> grilled veg -- and rice, bread, and taters.
>
> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.
>

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

I entertain large parties and have done both. IMO, I'd hire a grill
master to cook the meat and do the sides/desserts yourself, ahead of
time. Also hire a bartender - they are more than worth what you pay
them.

-L.
sf

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:38:35 -0500, Michael Odom
> wrote:

> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

IF you decide to do the cooking, at least hire someone to
help serve... if you want to enjoy your own party, that is.

sf
sf

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:38:35 -0500, Michael Odom
> wrote:

> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

IF you decide to do the cooking, at least hire someone to
help serve... if you want to enjoy your own party, that is.

sf
sf

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:38:35 -0500, Michael Odom
> wrote:

> Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook? I'm asking for advice,
> but in the end, I'll make my decision and I'll die by it.

IF you decide to do the cooking, at least hire someone to
help serve... if you want to enjoy your own party, that is.

sf
Nancy Howells

In article >, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Michael Odom > wrote in
> :
>
> > We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> > We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> > department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> > from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> > responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
> >

> So it is a tradition and career related. Best to get it catered. That
> allows for more time spent talking to friends and associates and enjoying
> the evening. Don't forget the million other things/details you need look
> after. Porta-potties, drinks, music etc...

I'm with you there. You could always do the appetizers or desserts if
you'd like to do something cooking/baking wise.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).

Nancy Howells

In article >, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Michael Odom > wrote in
> :
>
> > We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> > We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> > department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> > from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> > responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
> >

> So it is a tradition and career related. Best to get it catered. That
> allows for more time spent talking to friends and associates and enjoying
> the evening. Don't forget the million other things/details you need look
> after. Porta-potties, drinks, music etc...

I'm with you there. You could always do the appetizers or desserts if
you'd like to do something cooking/baking wise.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
sf

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 03:54:12 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Michael Odom > wrote in
> :
>
> > We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> > We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> > department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> > from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> > responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
> >

> So it is a tradition and career related. Best to get it catered. That
> allows for more time spent talking to friends and associates and enjoying
> the evening. Don't forget the million other things/details you need look
> after. Porta-potties, drinks, music etc...

Porta potties for only 60 people? I'm sure his home has at
least 2 bathrooms, 3 would be even better.

Music is a must! So Michael - if you don't have speakers in
your yard now, this is a good excuse to put some out there
(they'll blend in with the landscape).
http://www.stereospeakers.com/
http://www.smarthome.com/speakers2.html
http://www.residential-landscape-lig...4/products.asp

sf
sf

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 03:54:12 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Michael Odom > wrote in
> :
>
> > We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> > We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> > department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> > from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> > responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
> >

> So it is a tradition and career related. Best to get it catered. That
> allows for more time spent talking to friends and associates and enjoying
> the evening. Don't forget the million other things/details you need look
> after. Porta-potties, drinks, music etc...

Porta potties for only 60 people? I'm sure his home has at
least 2 bathrooms, 3 would be even better.

Music is a must! So Michael - if you don't have speakers in
your yard now, this is a good excuse to put some out there
(they'll blend in with the landscape).
http://www.stereospeakers.com/
http://www.smarthome.com/speakers2.html
http://www.residential-landscape-lig...4/products.asp

sf
PENMART01

>Michael Odom wrote:
>
>Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook?

Depends entirely on your menu. I can cook for 150 as easily as I can for 15...
depending on my menu. But if I want to be part of the affair rather than be
relegated to employee status I'd hire a caterer.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Michael Odom wrote:
>
>Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook?

Depends entirely on your menu. I can cook for 150 as easily as I can for 15...
depending on my menu. But if I want to be part of the affair rather than be
relegated to employee status I'd hire a caterer.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Dimitri

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.

<snip>

> modom

It seems like you have investigated several options quite well: As usual the
ultimate decision is yours.

Here are several points to consider:

1. If you hire a professional usually there is little they miss (forget)
the portion control us usually more than adequate.
2. If you do it yourself, I'm sure you could pull it off, however you'll
have little or no time with any of the guests and "D" may also be a wreck
worrying if there is something that was overlooked.
3. If you do decide to do it yourself it will be much less expensive and
when it's over you have a souvenir (the smoker).
4. I always though hiring a professions bartender for parties was
unnecessary, until I realized in a very subtle way their portion controls
kept the party lively.
5. There is reason they're called professionals -

Good Luck,

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.

<snip>

> modom

It seems like you have investigated several options quite well: As usual the
ultimate decision is yours.

Here are several points to consider:

1. If you hire a professional usually there is little they miss (forget)
the portion control us usually more than adequate.
2. If you do it yourself, I'm sure you could pull it off, however you'll
have little or no time with any of the guests and "D" may also be a wreck
worrying if there is something that was overlooked.
3. If you do decide to do it yourself it will be much less expensive and
when it's over you have a souvenir (the smoker).
4. I always though hiring a professions bartender for parties was
unnecessary, until I realized in a very subtle way their portion controls
kept the party lively.
5. There is reason they're called professionals -

Good Luck,

Dimitri

Dimitri

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Michael Odom wrote:
> >
> >Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook?

> Depends entirely on your menu. I can cook for 150 as easily as I can for

15...
> depending on my menu. But if I want to be part of the affair rather than

be
> relegated to employee status I'd hire a caterer.

Amen....

Dimitri

Dimitri

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Michael Odom wrote:
> >
> >Now what should I do? Cook or hire a cook?

> Depends entirely on your menu. I can cook for 150 as easily as I can for

15...
> depending on my menu. But if I want to be part of the affair rather than

be
> relegated to employee status I'd hire a caterer.

Amen....

Dimitri

limey

"Michael Odom" wrote in message
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.
>
> modom

Have it catered. I've done it both ways - prepared and cooked for large
parties, plus had them catered. I guarantee - you'll enjoy your own party
and be more relaxed if others prepare the food and do the cooking. Main
thing - enjoy yourselves.

Dora

limey

"Michael Odom" wrote in message
> We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
> We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
> department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
> from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
> responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
> Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
> 60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
> having the event catered.
>
> modom

Have it catered. I've done it both ways - prepared and cooked for large
parties, plus had them catered. I guarantee - you'll enjoy your own party
and be more relaxed if others prepare the food and do the cooking. Main
thing - enjoy yourselves.

Dora

Kajikit

Michael Odom had something important to tell us on Tue, 03 Aug 2004
20:38:35 -0500:

>We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
>We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
>department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
>from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
>responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
>Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
>60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
>having the event catered.

M y family are all good cooks... so when it came to my 21st birthday
there wasn't much question about how we'd feed the 50-odd guests - my
parents cooked a bbq and salads and cakes etc. The only problem with
that was that it really wasn't a fun party for any of us, because we
were run ragged doing the catering, serving and cleaning up. Get it
catered and then you can enjoy yourselves and let someone else do all
the dirtywork!
Kajikit

Michael Odom had something important to tell us on Tue, 03 Aug 2004
20:38:35 -0500:

>We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
>We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
>department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
>from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
>responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>
>Now I like cooking. I'm pretty good at it, in fact. But a dinner for
>60 people is beyond anything I've ever attempted. So she suggested
>having the event catered.

M y family are all good cooks... so when it came to my 21st birthday
there wasn't much question about how we'd feed the 50-odd guests - my
parents cooked a bbq and salads and cakes etc. The only problem with
that was that it really wasn't a fun party for any of us, because we
were run ragged doing the catering, serving and cleaning up. Get it
catered and then you can enjoy yourselves and let someone else do all
the dirtywork!
Michael Odom

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:57:18 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 03:54:12 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Odom > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > We're having a shindig at our place the last Friday of the month.
>> > We're expecting about 55-60 people. It's to be an open house for her
>> > department (academic, that is) and mine, along with several guests
>> > from Dallas. D just informed me that the function she's accepted
>> > responsibility for is traditionally a dinner.
>> >

>> So it is a tradition and career related. Best to get it catered. That
>> allows for more time spent talking to friends and associates and enjoying
>> the evening. Don't forget the million other things/details you need look
>> after. Porta-potties, drinks, music etc...

>Porta potties for only 60 people? I'm sure his home has at
>least 2 bathrooms, 3 would be even better.
>
>Music is a must! So Michael - if you don't have speakers in
>your yard now, this is a good excuse to put some out there
>(they'll blend in with the landscape).
>http://www.stereospeakers.com/
>http://www.smarthome.com/speakers2.html
>http://www.residential-landscape-lig...4/products.asp

I've already got a pair of speakers out by the pool. No, I'm not
going to buy the underwater speakers, but those Bose puppies do look
appealing. So do the Monster Cable speakers. Coincidentally, I just
took an old receiver I have to a local electronics fixit guy to get
the left channel working right again. It'll do nicely for the outside
speakers.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom