Cookie Tonas

Default Help with Coffee Crumb Cake

Hi All,

I am trying to make a Streusel Coffe Crumb Cake following this recipe:

Streusel Coffee Cake
Topping
" 1/2 cup brown sugar
" 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
" 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
" 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Cake
" 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
" 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
" 1/2 teaspoon salt
" 1 egg, beaten
" 3/4 cup sugar
" 1/3 cup melted butter
" 1/2 cup milk
" 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping:
In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients. Blend with fork
until crumbly. Set aside.
Cake:
Sift 1 1/2 cups sifted flour with baking powder and salt into a bowl.
In a medium bowl, beat together beaten egg and 3/4 cup sugar and 1/3
cup melted butter. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix
well.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square or 9-inch
layer-cake pan. Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter.
Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Partially
cool in pan on wire rack. Cut coffee cake into squares while still
warm.

The topping mix sinks into the batter during baking, so instead of
getting a nice crunchy top it is becomes more a chewy caramel inside
the cake.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of how to make it stay on top.

Thanx....
Goomba38

Cookie Tonas wrote:

> The topping mix sinks into the batter during baking, so instead of
> getting a nice crunchy top it is becomes more a chewy caramel inside
> the cake.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions of how to make it stay on top.
>
> Thanx....

Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping
midway and then finish the baking?
Goomba

CookieTonas

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:50:48 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping
>midway and then finish the baking?
>Goomba

Have not, but sounds like a great idea. I'll try that and post my
results.

Thanks...
June Oshiro

Goomba38 wrote:

> Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping
> midway and then finish the baking?

Wouldn't that make the half-risen-but-not-yet-firmed portion totally
deflate? Guess you could distribute the topping to hide that, but the
density would change a bit through the cake.

To the OP - any reason you want *that* particular recipe? Should be
dozens of crumb cake recipes out there... Why not try a new one?

-j.

Drake's Coffee Cake with crumb topping ctlady Baking 0 20-09-2006 10:04 AM
Crumb cake Islands General Cooking 6 06-04-2006 08:25 PM
Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2004 04:58 PM
Crumb Cake Helen Burke Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2004 03:54 AM
chocolate crumb coffee cake Judy Baking 2 07-02-2004 05:16 AM