Default Canned Diced Chilis

I've been buying these little cans of
diced/sliced green chilis to put in everything
from omelets to chili.

I noticed that they really didn't add to the flavor of the meal.
And so, I tasted them right out of the can.
They're bland.... almost tasteless !
????

I've been substituting chopped ( jarred ) jalapenos
with much better results.

Have I burned out my taste buds ?
Should I switch to the fresh green chilis I see at the grocers ?

<rj>
MrAoD

" RJ " writes:

>I've been buying these little cans of
>diced/sliced green chilis to put in everything
>from omelets to chili.
>
>I noticed that they really didn't add to the flavor of the meal.
>And so, I tasted them right out of the can.
>They're bland.... almost tasteless !
>????

Yep, regular old green chiles. Very mild to start with and the canning method
doesn't add much to the flavor - either mildly pickled or just placed in a
buncha glop.

>I've been substituting chopped ( jarred ) jalapenos
>with much better results.

Depends on the result you're looking for. Preserved jalapenos, IMO, are only
suitable for topping a plate of bar nachos, fresh is better?

>Have I burned out my taste buds ?

Only you can answer that, but you were probably expecting something that green
chiles ain't.

>Should I switch to the fresh green chilis I see at the grocers ?

Better flavor, but still not hot.

Best,

Marc
Jack Schidt®

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I've been buying these little cans of
> diced/sliced green chilis to put in everything
> from omelets to chili.
>
> I noticed that they really didn't add to the flavor of the meal.
> And so, I tasted them right out of the can.
> They're bland.... almost tasteless !
> ????
>
> I've been substituting chopped ( jarred ) jalapenos
> with much better results.
>
> Have I burned out my taste buds ?
> Should I switch to the fresh green chilis I see at the grocers ?

Definitely. If you can find poblanos, by all means buy them.

Jack Chile

David Wright

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:10:36 -0500, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>I've been buying these little cans of
>diced/sliced green chilis to put in everything
>from omelets to chili.
>
>I noticed that they really didn't add to the flavor of the meal.
>And so, I tasted them right out of the can.
>They're bland.... almost tasteless !
>????
>
>I've been substituting chopped ( jarred ) jalapenos
>with much better results.
>
>Have I burned out my taste buds ?
>Should I switch to the fresh green chilis I see at the grocers ?
>

><rj>

Sounds like you've been getting Old El Paso brand, although I brought
home some cans of Hatch last trip to New Mexico and they aren't much
better. I would have bought Bueno if I'd seen some.

If you can get fresh jalapeños or serranos, you'll get more flavor and
some heat. Poblanos also have good flavor (but not much heat), but
you'll have to flame or roast them to remove the cellophane-like skin.

David
Frogleg

wrote:

>I've been buying these little cans of
>diced/sliced green chilis to put in everything
>from omelets to chili.
>
>I noticed that they really didn't add to the flavor of the meal.

Well, they don't add much (any) *hot*. The brands available in
supermarkets here are as mild as milk. However, they *do* have a bit
of a tang in something like a cream sauce.

>I've been substituting chopped ( jarred ) jalapenos
>with much better results.

There's a long (or is it wide?) continuum of chile types and
preparations. And quite a few between canned Anaheim and pickled
jalapenos.

>Should I switch to the fresh green chilis I see at the grocers ?

Depends on the use. Experiment with them. I buy some kind of fresh
(sic) chile every time I go to the grocery store. Within a week,
there'll be some dish I want to add them to -- chopped and cooked at
the 'saute onion' stage, or maybe roasted and skinned in something
subtle. One nice thing about the canned (chopped or whole) is that
they're skinned. That's rather a pain to do, 'though worth it in the
end.

Barry Grau

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message . com>...
> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
> >
> > I've been buying these little cans of
> > diced/sliced green chilis to put in everything
> > from omelets to chili.
> >
> > I noticed that they really didn't add to the flavor of the meal.
> > And so, I tasted them right out of the can.
> > They're bland.... almost tasteless !
> > ????
> >
> > I've been substituting chopped ( jarred ) jalapenos
> > with much better results.
> >
> > Have I burned out my taste buds ?
> > Should I switch to the fresh green chilis I see at the grocers ?

> Definitely. If you can find poblanos, by all means buy them.
>
> Jack Chile

I agree with Jack about poblanos. Roast them and remove the skin
before using them. Taste them before adding them to a dish -- they
vary a lot in heat.

-bwg
Arri London

"" wrote:

> I've been buying these little cans of
> diced/sliced green chilis to put in everything
> from omelets to chili.
>
> I noticed that they really didn't add to the flavor of the meal.
> And so, I tasted them right out of the can.
> They're bland.... almost tasteless !
> ????
>
> I've been substituting chopped ( jarred ) jalapenos
> with much better results.
>
> Have I burned out my taste buds ?
> Should I switch to the fresh green chilis I see at the grocers ?
>
> <rj>

The canned chiles in the yellow cans aren't hot at all. They come from
California.
Look for frozen chopped green chiles; Bueno is one brand but there are
others.
Blair P. Houghton

Jack Schidt® > wrote:
>"<RJ>" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Have I burned out my taste buds ?
>> Should I switch to the fresh green chilis I see at the grocers ?

Surely.

>Definitely. If you can find poblanos, by all means buy them.

Or Pasillas. They're my new favorite, though I caught
a certain supermarket I won't name (but its initials are
"Safeway") putting bland Anaheims in the Pasilla bin once.

--Blair
"Peter Piper pinched a perp who
proffered piddly peppers."