FoodBanter.com

-   -   Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/28747-neat-way-cook-alaska.html)

Bruce K. 21-07-2004 02:45 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.

These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.

On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:

1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).

2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.

3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.

4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Hope this helps someone.

Bruce

jmcquown 21-07-2004 03:09 PM

Bruce K. wrote:
> I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
>
> These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
>
> On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
>
> 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
>
> 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
>
> 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
>
> 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
>

> Hope this helps someone.
>
> Bruce

OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to put them
in a large pot of boiling water?

Jill

jmcquown 21-07-2004 03:09 PM

kilikini 21-07-2004 03:11 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Bruce K. wrote:
> > I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
> >
> > These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
> >
> > On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
> >
> > 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
> >
> > 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
> >
> > 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
> >
> > 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
> >

> > Hope this helps someone.
> >
> > Bruce

> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to put

them
> in a large pot of boiling water?
>
> Jill

Jill, I was thinking the same thing! How funny. Microwave? No, uh uh.

kili

kilikini 21-07-2004 03:11 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

.. .

jmcquown 21-07-2004 03:55 PM

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Bruce K. wrote:
>>> I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
>>>
>>> These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
>>>
>>> On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
>>>
>>> 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
>>>
>>> 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
>>>
>>> 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
>>>
>>> 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
>>>

>>> Hope this helps someone.
>>>
>>> Bruce

>> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to
>> put them in a large pot of boiling water?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill, I was thinking the same thing! How funny. Microwave? No, uh
> uh.
>
> kili

Kili, apparently we can "thank" Alton Brown. Okay Alton: No, but thanks! :)

Jill

jmcquown 21-07-2004 03:55 PM

Default User 21-07-2004 05:44 PM

jmcquown wrote:

> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to put them
> in a large pot of boiling water?

Ummmm, the fact that you have to boil a big pot of water just to do a
few crab legs?

Wrapped in wet paper towels, that's a very convenient way to steam your
crab legs. Sounds like an excellent idea to me. What's your objection to
it? You understand that the wet towels will absorb virtually all the
microwave energy.

Brian Rodenborn

jmcquown wrote:

> Kili, apparently we can "thank" Alton Brown. Okay Alton: No, but thanks! :)

I'll take Alton's opinion over yours almost any day.

Brian Rodenborn

StocksRus® 21-07-2004 05:56 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

Default User > wrote in
:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Kili, apparently we can "thank" Alton Brown. Okay Alton: No, but
>> thanks! :)

> I'll take Alton's opinion over yours almost any day.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Ummm...if you know anything about the process of paper making, I would NOT
do it that way.
Ever been to Jacksonville Fla? Caustic chems and all. Know what I mean?

--
StocksRus®

StocksRus® 21-07-2004 05:56 PM

John D. Misrahi 21-07-2004 07:30 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

>> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to put

>them
>> in a large pot of boiling water?
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Jill, I was thinking the same thing! How funny. Microwave? No, uh uh.
>
>kili

As comedian Jon Pinet would say, "nay nay!"

Carryon 21-07-2004 07:36 PM

Bruce K. wrote:
> I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
>
> These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
>
> On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
>
> 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
>
> 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
>
> 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
>
> 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
>

> Hope this helps someone.
>
> Bruce

Just prepared them this way yesterday. Worked very well but I used the
natural paper towels from the health food store.
Doing them this way doesn't waste water.
Crab question:
Do these huge legs have any kind of body? Something like a real crab?
I just can't imagine seeing one whole. They look a bit like spiders
don't they.

Carryon 21-07-2004 07:36 PM

Paul M. Cook©® 21-07-2004 08:48 PM

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
>
> These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
>
> On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
>
> 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
>
> 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
>
> 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
>
> 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
>

> Hope this helps someone.

I did not hear this! LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!

Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in melted
butter.

Paul

jmcquown 21-07-2004 08:55 PM

Default User wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to
>> put them in a large pot of boiling water?

> Ummmm, the fact that you have to boil a big pot of water just to do a
> few crab legs?

Those "few" crab legs can probably feed 4-6 people, if they are truly King
crab and not Snow crab being sold as "king".

> Wrapped in wet paper towels, that's a very convenient way to steam
> your
> crab legs. Sounds like an excellent idea to me. What's your objection
> it?

Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the microwave
for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming veggies. If I'm going to
pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely hope I can afford to boil a big pot of
salted water to toss them in.

jmcquown 21-07-2004 08:55 PM

Carryon 21-07-2004 08:59 PM

Paul M. Cook©® wrote:
> "Bruce K." > wrote in message
>
>>I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
>>
>>These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
>>
>>On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
>>
>>1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
>>
>>2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
>>
>>3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
>>
>>4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
>>

>>Hope this helps someone.

> I did not hear this! LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!
>
> Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in melted
> butter.
>
> Paul

It works very well, saves water and doesn't heat up the kitchen.

Carryon 21-07-2004 08:59 PM

Default User 21-07-2004 09:04 PM

"StocksRus®" wrote:

> > I'll take Alton's opinion over yours almost any day.

> Ummm...if you know anything about the process of paper making, I would NOT
> do it that way.
> Ever been to Jacksonville Fla? Caustic chems and all. Know what I mean?

Bullshit. While paper-making produces caustic chemicals, paper itself is
perfectly safe.

Brian Rodenborn

Paul M. Cook©® 21-07-2004 09:12 PM

"Carryon" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook©® wrote:
> > "Bruce K." > wrote in message
> >
> >>I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
> >>
> >>These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
> >>
> >>On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
> >>
> >>1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
> >>
> >>2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
> >>
> >>3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
> >>
> >>4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
> >>

> >>Hope this helps someone.

> > I did not hear this! LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!
> >
> > Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in

melted
> > butter.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> It works very well, saves water and doesn't heat up the kitchen.

Microwaving changes the texture of food. Something about steaming it from
within by erupting the cell structure like popcorn. It just does not taste
the same and a delicate, expensive meat like king crab deserves much better
treatment than you would employ to reheat a hot dog or a frozen burrito.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©® 21-07-2004 09:12 PM

Paul M. Cook©® 21-07-2004 09:12 PM

Peter Aitken 21-07-2004 09:32 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Default User wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to
> >> put them in a large pot of boiling water?

> > Ummmm, the fact that you have to boil a big pot of water just to do a
> > few crab legs?
> >

> Those "few" crab legs can probably feed 4-6 people, if they are truly King
> crab and not Snow crab being sold as "king".
>
> > Wrapped in wet paper towels, that's a very convenient way to steam
> > your
> > crab legs. Sounds like an excellent idea to me. What's your objection
> > it?

> Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the microwave
> for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming veggies. If I'm going

> pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely hope I can afford to boil a big pot

of
> salted water to toss them in.

King crab legs are already cooked when you buy them - at least I have never
seen them raw. If they are red, they are cooked. So you *are* reheating
leftovers. But I think steaming is better than MW or boiling.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken 21-07-2004 09:32 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

.. .

Default User 21-07-2004 09:34 PM

jmcquown wrote:

> Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the microwave
> for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming veggies. If I'm going to
> pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely hope I can afford to boil a big pot of
> salted water to toss them in.

You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
which steams the food.

Brian Rodenborn

Default User 21-07-2004 09:35 PM

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in melted
> butter.

Again, you aren't microwaving the food. Read what it said. You are
steaming it.

Brian Rodenborn

StocksRus® 21-07-2004 10:01 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

:

> "StocksRus®" wrote:
>>

>> > I'll take Alton's opinion over yours almost any day.

>> Ummm...if you know anything about the process of paper making, I
>> would NOT do it that way.
>> Ever been to Jacksonville Fla? Caustic chems and all. Know what I
>> mean?

> Bullshit. While paper-making produces caustic chemicals, paper itself
> is perfectly safe.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Ever been to a paper mill? I've been in the business for 25 years and
would not ever try to STEAM anything with a paper towel.

--
StocksRus®

jmcquown 21-07-2004 10:02 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
>
>> Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned
>> in melted butter.

> Again, you aren't microwaving the food. Read what it said. You are
> steaming it.
>
> Brian Rodenborn

You just keep talking yourself into that notion, Brian. It's okay :)

Paul M. Cook©® 21-07-2004 10:14 PM

"Default User" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
>
> > Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in

melted
> > butter.

> Again, you aren't microwaving the food. Read what it said. You are
> steaming it.

The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any microwave
food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery texture.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©® 21-07-2004 10:14 PM

Peter Aitken 21-07-2004 10:17 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

"Default User" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the

microwave
> > for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming veggies. If I'm

going to
> > pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely hope I can afford to boil a big

pot of
> > salted water to toss them in.

> You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
> which steams the food.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken 21-07-2004 10:17 PM

Siobhan Perricone 21-07-2004 10:23 PM

Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:36:03 -0700, Carryon >
wrote:

>Do these huge legs have any kind of body? Something like a real crab?
>I just can't imagine seeing one whole. They look a bit like spiders
>don't they.

My grampa caught one when he went to Alaska and had it mounted over his
fireplace at the lake house. It was freekin' huge and scary looking. :)

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

Siobhan Perricone 21-07-2004 10:23 PM

Default User 21-07-2004 10:34 PM

"StocksRus®" wrote:

> Ever been to a paper mill? I've been in the business for 25 years and
> would not ever try to STEAM anything with a paper towel.

You're going to have a lot less exposure to that oh-so-deadly paper than
if you ate a typical cookout meal from paper plates. Show me some
documentation that says exposure to paper is dangerous.

Brian Rodenborn