Steve Calvin

Default PING gloria p: Thanks for the wine recipe.

I just opened a bottle of the tomato wine that I made last September.
I couldn't use the oranges that the recipe called for. A five gallon
brewers bucket just wasn't big enough.

The wine is fantastic though! THANKS. It has mellowed out very nicely.
I think that I'll let it age a while longer though. :-)

--
Steve

Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:

> I just opened a bottle of the tomato wine that I made last September. I
> couldn't use the oranges that the recipe called for. A five gallon
> brewers bucket just wasn't big enough.
>
> The wine is fantastic though! THANKS. It has mellowed out very nicely. I
> think that I'll let it age a while longer though. :-)

Forgive the follow-up. Just to clarify. I made it in September 2002.

--
Steve

Puester

Steve Calvin wrote:

> I just opened a bottle of the tomato wine that I made last September.
> I couldn't use the oranges that the recipe called for. A five gallon
> brewers bucket just wasn't big enough.
>
> The wine is fantastic though! THANKS. It has mellowed out very nicely.
> I think that I'll let it age a while longer though. :-)
>
> --
> Steve

You're welcome. The recipe is over 35 years old.
If we ever have a decent tomato crop (bad climate)
again, maybe I'll try another batch.

gloria p

Steve Calvin wrote:

> I just opened a bottle of the tomato wine that I made last September.
> I couldn't use the oranges that the recipe called for. A five gallon
> brewers bucket just wasn't big enough.
>
> The wine is fantastic though! THANKS. It has mellowed out very nicely.
> I think that I'll let it age a while longer though. :-)
>
> --
> Steve
>
> Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Darn! That brings to mind my grandfather's cashew fruit wine.

My grandfather owned a small farm in Western Cuba. The road to the "big house"
was lined with cashew trees. I don't know if you have ever seen cashew fruit
but it is pear shaped, the skin is very colorful, orange, red, yellow and the
nut grows on the bottom of the fruit. Actually the "fuit" is the engorged stem
of the nut which is the true fruit.

Every year he used to gather a huge lot of the fruit, run the fruit through a
meat grinder and collect the juice. It is a very tart, mouth puckering liquid.
Eating cashew fruit is probably an acquired taste. He would put the juice in
very old wooden barrels that he would reuse from year to year. From this came
some wine, a bit like a very dry sherry that would be stored and be drunk only
at very special times like weddings, births, funerals.

He passed away in 1952 and when I left Cuba in 1961 there were four bottles
left of the last pressing he had done, back in 1950. My mother opened one and
we drank some of it. It was wonderful.

I am going to grab a bottle of Sandeman for this Christmas. Perhaps it is time
to start a small tradition.

Bert
Cuba, here the shadows lie