Blair P. Houghton

Default 10-spice grilled salmon with grilled vegetables

Now this was a surprise.

Sakana, my neighborhood sushi place, which has always
been good but never great, must have got a new sous chef,
because they put this on the menu.

It's a salmon fillet with 10 spices (I don't know what;
definitely paprika, garlic, and oregano; probably onion
powder and pepper) grilled to gorgeous perfection, flaky
and moist inside and crisp and barely browned outside.

Then they lay it on a bed of really great veggies.
At least three kinds of mushrooms (Shiitakes, enobis,
something else), several chopped asparagus spears, a few
thin slices of red bell pepper (about all I can tolerate
of bell pepper), bits of onion and garlic, very nice with
the fish.

I only got it because it's new, and now I love it.
It's not quite as good as the creole salmon I make at home,
but then, when I make that at home I haven't just had 4
kinds of nigiris and a shrimp tempura roll...

--Blair
"What is it about white rice and salmon?"
jmcquown

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Now this was a surprise.
>
> It's a salmon fillet with 10 spices (I don't know what;
> definitely paprika, garlic, and oregano; probably onion
> powder and pepper) grilled to gorgeous perfection, flaky
> and moist inside and crisp and barely browned outside.

Grilled? I thought Sushi was raw fish?

"In Japan, Sushi began as a method of preserving fish centuries ago.
Cleaned raw fish were pressed between layers of salt, and stone was placed
to weight it. Few weeks later, stone would be removed and placed with a
light cover, and few months after, the fermented fish and rice were to be
eaten. Some restaurants in Tokyo still serve this original style of sushi,
and it is called nare, sushi made with freshwater carp.

In eighteenth century, a chef named Yohei decided to serve sushi in
somewhat in its present form. It became very popular and emerged in to two
different styles. One of them was Kansai style, from the city of Osaka in
the Kansai region, and the other called Edo style, from Tokyo, which was
then called Edo. The Kansai style sushi consisted seasoned rice mixed with
other ingredients, producing decorative packages, and it has more history
and techniques to it comparing to the Edo style sushi. Edo style sushi is
nigiri sushi (often referred to as Edomae-sushi), which feature small amount
of seafood on a seasoned rice. Kansai region's ornamental sushi is popular,
but foreigners are more familiar with the nigiri sushi.

Nare-sushi is a sushi made with carp in the vicinity of Lake Biwa in
Shiga Prefecture, and preparing this sushi takes from 2 months to more than
a year. And when it was eaten, they only ate the fish, and discarded the
rice. People eventually thought that this whole process took too much time,
and it was a waste of rice. These thoughts led to the development of
nama-nare or han-nare sushi, which can be made in a few days, and it
consisted of eating both fish and the rice.

In 1824, a man named Hanaya Yohei had the idea of eating sliced, raw
seafood at its freshest. He served the raw fish on small fingers of vinegard
rice, and the stall he opened became very popular. And sushi stalls were
emerging almost everywhere in Edo by the middle of the 19thCentury. The
stalls had wheels so when the sushi makers found a popular spot to do their
business; they almost did everything they can to get the spot. People
stopped by for a snack in their stalls, and there were no formal table
manners as there is today. They used fingers to dip sushi in the soy sauce
etc., and wiped them off on the noren, which became well stained at the end
of the business hour, and showed the sushi maker how well the business went
that day.

After the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, many elegant sushi shops
were emerging. Even though they had chairs and tables, some of the customers
consumed their food outside. So during this stage, the noren hung from a bar
in front of the shop. And after the World War II, sushi stalls were no
longer seen. During the 1960s, people realized that eating while standing
wasn't a formal manner, so they began to eat seated as it is today."

Jill (who says "no thanks" to raw fish)

Gar

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:08:22 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> Now this was a surprise.
>>
>> It's a salmon fillet with 10 spices (I don't know what;
>> definitely paprika, garlic, and oregano; probably onion
>> powder and pepper) grilled to gorgeous perfection, flaky
>> and moist inside and crisp and barely browned outside.
>>

>Grilled?

Was it spelled wrong or don't you understand?

> I thought Sushi was raw fish?

Yes Jill. Sushi originally was raw fish.

Blair wasn't talking about Sushi.

<snip irrelevant copied text>

Gar

jmcquown

Gar wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:08:22 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>>> Now this was a surprise.
>>>
>>> It's a salmon fillet with 10 spices (I don't know what;
>>> definitely paprika, garlic, and oregano; probably onion
>>> powder and pepper) grilled to gorgeous perfection, flaky
>>> and moist inside and crisp and barely browned outside.
>>>

>> Grilled?

"Sakana, my neighborhood sushi place"... no it wasn't spelled wrong. He
said it was a sushi place. What part of what he wrote didn't YOU
understand?

Gar

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:52:31 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Gar wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:08:22 -0600, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:

>>> Grilled?

>"Sakana, my neighborhood sushi place"... no it wasn't spelled wrong. He
>said it was a sushi place. What part of what he wrote didn't YOU
>understand?

Jill,
I'm trying to watch the sadam shit on tv now so I don't have time for
your shit now. Blair said surprise. You are worse than I thought.
Watch for me on your posts Jill. In real life I make Sherman look like
a choirboy. You chat with Carol so ask her.

You've been talking shit for years. Please stop.

Your Friend,
Gar

jmcquown

Gar wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:52:31 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Gar wrote:
>>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:08:22 -0600, "jmcquown"

>> "Sakana, my neighborhood sushi place"... no it wasn't spelled wrong.
>> He said it was a sushi place. What part of what he wrote didn't YOU
>> understand?
>>

> Jill,
> I'm trying to watch the sadam shit on tv now so I don't have time for
> your shit now. Blair said surprise. You are worse than I thought.
> Watch for me on your posts Jill. In real life I make Sherman look like
> a choirboy. You chat with Carol so ask her.
>
> You've been talking shit for years. Please stop.
>
> Your Friend,
> Gar

Friend. Ha. So now you plan to start persecuting me for posting? What
happened to you, Gar?

George

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> > Now this was a surprise.
> >
> > It's a salmon fillet with 10 spices (I don't know what;
> > definitely paprika, garlic, and oregano; probably onion
> > powder and pepper) grilled to gorgeous perfection, flaky
> > and moist inside and crisp and barely browned outside.
> >

> Grilled? I thought Sushi was raw fish?

Common misconception, many people exclaim "yuk....I won't eat raw fish..."
but sushi is often made with no fish at all using vegetables or egg or
sometimes with seafood that must be cooked (such as crab). I think many
people assume it is just like the bad (spoiled) tuna fish sandwich they had
one day. A buddy of mine used to protest when I would suggest going to a
sushi place because he knew it tasted just like canned tuna. Finally I got
him interested and his first impression was "wow, I can't believe how good
this is...". Now he calls me to go for sushi.

A common grilled item you will find is unagi (eel). Also it is not unusual
for a sushi place to be a little innovative and offer a grilled presentation
such as the OP described.

The only raw fish only presentation is sashimi which is select slices of
raw fish.

jmcquown

George wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>>> Now this was a surprise.
>>>
>>> It's a salmon fillet with 10 spices (I don't know what;
>>> definitely paprika, garlic, and oregano; probably onion
>>> powder and pepper) grilled to gorgeous perfection, flaky
>>> and moist inside and crisp and barely browned outside.
>>>

>> Grilled? I thought Sushi was raw fish?
>>

> The only raw fish only presentation is sashimi which is select slices
> of raw fish.

Thank you, George, for the explanation. It still doesn't excuse the person
who left some "fresh sushi" (clear packaging, labled as such) in the fridge
at work for more than a week. But hey, that's another discussion!

Jill

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"George" > wrote in message

<snip>

> The only raw fish only presentation is sashimi which is select slices of
> raw fish.

Cooked tako is often served as sashimi (sometimes you can get those little
ones that are still alive, but I've always been served sliced pieces of
cooked/dead tako).

rona

Ariane Jenkins

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:52:31 -0600, jmcquown > wrote:

> "Sakana, my neighborhood sushi place"... no it wasn't spelled wrong. He
> said it was a sushi place. What part of what he wrote didn't YOU
> understand?

I'm not Gar, but here goes...

1) Sushi does not = raw fish. This is a common misunderstanding about
sushi. Sushi can be raw fish...it can also be cooked fish and
other seafood, eggs, vegetables, etc. with seasoned rice.

2) Sushi places don't serve _only_ sushi, the same way that
steakhouses don't serve _only_ steak. Especially here in the
States, it is very common for sushi bars to also have a menu of
non-sushi/sashimi entrees. Examples might be shrimp/vegetable
tempura, teriyaki salmon, shabu-shabu, ramen, etc. This comes in
very handy when you're dining out with people too chicken to try
sushi.

Ariane

sf

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:34:10 GMT, "George"
> wrote:

> Common misconception, many people exclaim "yuk....I won't eat raw fish..."
> but sushi is often made with no fish at all using vegetables or egg or
> sometimes with seafood that must be cooked (such as crab).

Besides the "Calfornia roll" or it's components, like
cucumber rolls, I think that spider rolls (if you like crab)
are the best way for the unitiated to dip their toes into
sushi.

> The only raw fish only presentation is sashimi which is select slices of
> raw fish.

Yum! I love tuna sashimi! My favorite combo is California
rolls, (tuna) sashimi, prawn & vegetable tempura... and
rice, of course.

alzelt

jmcquown wrote:

> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>
>>Now this was a surprise.
>>
>>It's a salmon fillet with 10 spices (I don't know what;
>>definitely paprika, garlic, and oregano; probably onion
>>powder and pepper) grilled to gorgeous perfection, flaky
>>and moist inside and crisp and barely browned outside.
>>

> Grilled? I thought Sushi was raw fish?
>
> "In Japan, Sushi began as a method of preserving fish centuries ago.
> Cleaned raw fish were pressed between layers of salt, and stone was placed
> to weight it. Few weeks later, stone would be removed and placed with a
> light cover, and few months after, the fermented fish and rice were to be
> eaten. Some restaurants in Tokyo still serve this original style of sushi,
> and it is called nare, sushi made with freshwater carp.

Guess the Scandinavians would be surprised. They've been doing it for
centuries and called it Gravad Lax.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Ariane Jenkins

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:30:55 GMT, sf > wrote:

> Besides the "Calfornia roll" or it's components, like
> cucumber rolls, I think that spider rolls (if you like crab)
> are the best way for the unitiated to dip their toes into
> sushi.

Hehehe... That is, if they're not freaked out by the sight of
a tiny crab claw sticking out of their sushi roll. I always find that
amusing, for some weird reason.

> Yum! I love tuna sashimi! My favorite combo is California
> rolls, (tuna) sashimi, prawn & vegetable tempura... and
> rice, of course.

Good tuna is a beautiful thing! My favorites are probably
salmon and yellowtail, though, with eel following close behind.

Ariane
Blair P. Houghton

jmcquown > wrote:
>Gar wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:52:31 -0600, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:

>>> "Sakana, my neighborhood sushi place"... no it wasn't spelled wrong.

>> I'm trying to watch the sadam shit on tv now so I don't have time for

>Friend. Ha.

Children! Stop this bickering!

Any Japanese restaurant with a sushi bar is a "sushi place" in
the fudgy patois of the hungry sumbitch.

Every sushi bar I have ever been in has also presented what
can only be termed "cooked food".

I go to Sakana mostly for the sushi, but it's always had
a full kitchen to attract customers who want Japanese
cuisine without the spectre of eating raw food standing
in their way, and to satisfy customers who want more
than just sushi, and to tempt sushi eaters into trying
the specials, hence this thread.

--Blair
"Ipso fishy!"

P.S. Here's a diction lesson garnished with condescending
attitude:

Su-: sweetened vinegar
-shi: rice

Sushi: sweet-vinegared rice.

Nigiri, nigirizushi: a ball of rice with a topping.
It takes ten years to learn how to make the rice ball
properly, so it has the right amount of tension, the right
adhesion, the right balance of air and moisture and grains,
to be both delicate and durable enough to stand its trip
from Itamae (chef) to geta (literally "shoe"; the wooden
plank with two short struts traditionally used to serve
sushi) to diner's hand (yes, hand, unless the nigiri is
covered in sauce) to palate.

Neta: the topping. Can be absolutely anything you think
will taste good with the rice. Raw fish just happens to
be the best, and comes in thousands of types. Especially
on the waterfronts of Osaka and Tokyo, where sushi was
invented as a modern cuisine.
Jack Schidt®

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> jmcquown > wrote:
> >Gar wrote:
> >> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:52:31 -0600, "jmcquown"

> >> I'm trying to watch the sadam shit on tv now so I don't have time for

> >Friend. Ha.

> Children! Stop this bickering!
>
> Any Japanese restaurant with a sushi bar is a "sushi place" in
> the fudgy patois of the hungry sumbitch.

True that. I've not been to a 'sushi or sashimi' only place. Why skip all
the other good stuff?

> Every sushi bar I have ever been in has also presented what
> can only be termed "cooked food".
>
> I go to Sakana mostly for the sushi, but it's always had
> a full kitchen to attract customers who want Japanese
> cuisine without the spectre of eating raw food standing
> in their way, and to satisfy customers who want more
> than just sushi, and to tempt sushi eaters into trying
> the specials, hence this thread.
>
> --Blair
> "Ipso fishy!"
>
> P.S. Here's a diction lesson garnished with condescending
> attitude:
>
> Su-: sweetened vinegar
> -shi: rice
>
> Sushi: sweet-vinegared rice.
>
> Nigiri, nigirizushi: a ball of rice with a topping.
> It takes ten years to learn how to make the rice ball
> properly, so it has the right amount of tension, the right
> adhesion, the right balance of air and moisture and grains,
> to be both delicate and durable enough to stand its trip
> from Itamae (chef) to geta (literally "shoe"; the wooden
> plank with two short struts traditionally used to serve
> sushi) to diner's hand (yes, hand, unless the nigiri is
> covered in sauce) to palate.
>
> Neta: the topping. Can be absolutely anything you think
> will taste good with the rice. Raw fish just happens to
> be the best, and comes in thousands of types. Especially
> on the waterfronts of Osaka and Tokyo, where sushi was
> invented as a modern cuisine.

Blair P. Houghton

George > wrote:
>A common grilled item you will find is unagi (eel). Also it is not unusual
>for a sushi place to be a little innovative and offer a grilled presentation
>such as the OP described.

I've never seen a sushi place that didn't have a real
kitchen and put entrees on the menu. "Sushi place" is
just a term for a Japanese restaurant with a sushi bar.
They have the equipment because you can't really run a
sushi bar without a place to cook the toppings that do
get cooked.

Many popular neta are cooked (for those not already savvy):

Unagi - sea eel
Anago - freshwater eel
Ebi - shrimp (but not ama-ebi, aka "sweet shrimp")
Tako - octopus
Kani - crab
Tamago - omelette
smoked salmon

And then there are always tempura items, and often fried
soft-shell crabs for "spider rolls" and the like.

I used to think the clams were cooked, but no, they're
actually pretty much alive when they're served.

And then there's the traditional presentation of Lobster
sushi, in which a live lobster is lifted from the tank,
its tail is pulled off, split open, scored into chunks,
and plated, then the carapace and head, with antennae,
eyes, and legs still wriggling, are placed on a tall spike
and left on the table as a centerpiece.

Now that's a civilized meal.

>Now he calls me to go for sushi.

There's a reason it's the fastest-growing cuisine in the world.

--Blair
"Dammit. I want more for *me*."
Blair P. Houghton

jmcquown > wrote:
>Thank you, George, for the explanation. It still doesn't excuse the person
>who left some "fresh sushi" (clear packaging, labled as such) in the fridge
>at work for more than a week. But hey, that's another discussion!

Hint: if it had to be "labeled as such", it was going to
be in that package far longer than sushi should be and still
remain "fresh".

It takes less than 10 minutes for a slice of raw fish to
lose its texture and taste, even if it takes half a day
at room temp to go bad by health-department standards.

--Blair
"Reminds me. I want a pH meter
for xmas."
Blair P. Houghton

alzelt > wrote:
>jmcquown wrote:
>> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>>>Now this was a surprise.

For the record, the "surprise" part was that this particular
neighborhood sushi place has long since been eclipsed for
quality by all four of the others within 5 miles.

But it looks like it may be making a rush for the head of
the pack.

It has never been unpopular, because it is by far the
least expensive, serves huge slices of fish (about 50%
too large for my taste, really) and comes with a fun
but not too silly attitude (unlike Shin Bay, which is a
sole-proprietor shop run by the Sushi Nazi). In fact,
it branched out to 3 or 4 other neighborhoods, though that
was never the reason it lagged.

Oh. BTW, it also added a Teppan section by taking over the
space next door, so not only can you get cooked food there,
you can get your hair singed and your forehead sliced up
by a drunken Jap in a toque!

>>>It's a salmon fillet with 10 spices (I don't know what;
>>>definitely paprika, garlic, and oregano; probably onion
>>>powder and pepper) grilled to gorgeous perfection, flaky
>>>and moist inside and crisp and barely browned outside.

>> Grilled? I thought Sushi was raw fish?

That happens.

>> "In Japan, Sushi began as a method of preserving fish centuries ago.
>> Cleaned raw fish were pressed between layers of salt, and stone was placed
>> to weight it. Few weeks later, stone would be removed and placed with a
>> light cover, and few months after, the fermented fish and rice were to be
>> eaten. Some restaurants in Tokyo still serve this original style of sushi,
>> and it is called nare, sushi made with freshwater carp.

>Guess the Scandinavians would be surprised. They've been doing it for
>centuries and called it Gravad Lax.

The Scandinavians never improved on it to make something like
the Hamachi Nigiri, which imo is one of the best things there
is that you can put in your face and survive.

--Blair
"Swedish rice. Oy."
alzelt

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> alzelt > wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:

> For the record, the "surprise" part was that this particular
> neighborhood sushi place has long since been eclipsed for
> quality by all four of the others within 5 miles.
>
> But it looks like it may be making a rush for the head of
> the pack.
>
> It has never been unpopular, because it is by far the
> least expensive, serves huge slices of fish (about 50%
> too large for my taste, really) and comes with a fun
> but not too silly attitude (unlike Shin Bay, which is a
> sole-proprietor shop run by the Sushi Nazi). In fact,
> it branched out to 3 or 4 other neighborhoods, though that
> was never the reason it lagged.
>
> Oh. BTW, it also added a Teppan section by taking over the
> space next door, so not only can you get cooked food there,
> you can get your hair singed and your forehead sliced up
> by a drunken Jap in a toque!

>>>Grilled? I thought Sushi was raw fish?

> That happens.
>

>>> "In Japan, Sushi began as a method of preserving fish centuries ago.
>>>Cleaned raw fish were pressed between layers of salt, and stone was placed
>>>to weight it. Few weeks later, stone would be removed and placed with a
>>>light cover, and few months after, the fermented fish and rice were to be
>>>eaten. Some restaurants in Tokyo still serve this original style of sushi,
>>>and it is called nare, sushi made with freshwater carp.

>>Guess the Scandinavians would be surprised. They've been doing it for
>>centuries and called it Gravad Lax.

> The Scandinavians never improved on it to make something like
> the Hamachi Nigiri, which imo is one of the best things there
> is that you can put in your face and survive.

Cepting Hamachi is not salmon, but Tuna, which is not normally found in
Swedish waters.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Ariane Jenkins

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:17:27 GMT,
alzelt > wrote:

> Cepting Hamachi is not salmon, but Tuna, which is not normally found in
> Swedish waters.

When I see "hamachi" in sushi menus here, it usually refers
to yellowtail, not tuna. IIRC, yellowtail is in the jack family,
related to pompano, amberjack, etc.

In a small sushi bar in SF, I had some great amberjack...the
chef seemed to think it was far better (more refined, I think he said
it was!) than yellowtail, with a more delicate taste. I liked it, but
think I still prefer yellowtail, which had a stronger buttery taste to
me. Had some great albacore at the same sushi bar, too.

Ariane

Blair P. Houghton

Jack Schidt® > wrote:
>"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Any Japanese restaurant with a sushi bar is a "sushi place" in
>> the fudgy patois of the hungry sumbitch.

>True that. I've not been to a 'sushi or sashimi' only place. Why skip all
>the other good stuff?

The trick, as a few rounds of Omakase (chef's choice) meals will
show you, is that you need to eat your sushi and your other foods
in the order that makes them work best.

You want lighter flavors up front, and the hot food or the
spicy sushi rolls to come last. Heat and spice dull your
palate, and you can really tell the difference when you've
been saving the obviously gorgeous yellowtail for last,
But you can't taste it because you had spicy scallop roll
or a sizzling hamachi kama (broiled yellowtail collar) just
before it.

Omakase is really fun only if you have a relationship
with the chef. It's always correct to ask "what's good"
when you sit down, but the best thing is to order what
you want your first several times into the restaurant,
and to go frequently, so the chef can learn your tastes.
Then, if it's a bar with a lot of variety, and he has
some goodies under the counter that he rarely brings out,
he'll know which ones to bring out for your omakase, and
which you won't enjoy. Then he's cooking like a master,
you're eating like a raj, and you go away wondering how
there can be any fish in the sea when there should be
people lined up to Boise waiting to get into sushi bars.

Itamae are the kings of chefs. There's no other culinary
form that has this depth of interchange.

--Blair
"Maybe your mom's egg salad."
Blair P. Houghton

alzelt > wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> The Scandinavians never improved on it to make something like
>> the Hamachi Nigiri, which imo is one of the best things there
>> is that you can put in your face and survive.
>>

>Cepting Hamachi is not salmon, but Tuna, which is not normally found in
>Swedish waters.

So, class, part of my point is, the Scandinavians never
got any Hamachi.

--Blair
"But, yay, they got lutefisk
to make up for it. Watch out
for the puke in the fjord."
Blair P. Houghton

Ariane Jenkins > wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:17:27 GMT,
>alzelt > wrote:
>
>> Cepting Hamachi is not salmon, but Tuna, which is not normally found in
>> Swedish waters.

> When I see "hamachi" in sushi menus here, it usually refers
>to yellowtail, not tuna. IIRC, yellowtail is in the jack family,
>related to pompano, amberjack, etc.

I can't believe I let him slide on that. I'm losing it.
I've been spending too much time spanking Republicans in
online political debates. I have to ignore about 80%
of the things they say to hit the points that someone
might believe.

> In a small sushi bar in SF, I had some great amberjack...the
>chef seemed to think it was far better (more refined, I think he said
>it was!) than yellowtail, with a more delicate taste. I liked it, but
>think I still prefer yellowtail, which had a stronger buttery taste to
>me. Had some great albacore at the same sushi bar, too.

Kampachi. Sometimes "kampachi hamachi" on the menu.
Very similar to the regular hamachi, but a little firmer
and clearer.

Coincidentally, I had some at Sakana when I was just there.

I preferred the regular hamachi, but that could be because
the regular hamachi was excellent, equal to the quality
I usually expect from Shintaro in the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

--Blair
"Once you go jack, you never go back."
Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:14:03 GMT, Blair P Houghton > wrote:

> I can't believe I let him slide on that. I'm losing it.
> I've been spending too much time spanking Republicans in
> online political debates. I have to ignore about 80%
> of the things they say to hit the points that someone
> might believe.

Ahh, see, that's where you're missing out. Sushi is far more
rewarding than Republicans, any day.

> Kampachi. Sometimes "kampachi hamachi" on the menu.
> Very similar to the regular hamachi, but a little firmer
> and clearer.

That was probably it. I don't remember the Japanese term off
the top of my head, because we rarely see it here. Another thing we
don't see very often here is white tuna, but I've loved it on the
occasions I had it. IIRC, Walter on AFS said it usually referred to
escolar and sometimes had a laxative affect on people if eaten in
larger quantities. Worth it, though.

> Coincidentally, I had some at Sakana when I was just there.
>
> I preferred the regular hamachi, but that could be because
> the regular hamachi was excellent, equal to the quality
> I usually expect from Shintaro in the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

That's on our To Eat list if we ever hit Vegas.

Ariane
alzelt

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Ariane Jenkins > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:17:27 GMT,
>>alzelt > wrote:
>>

>>>Cepting Hamachi is not salmon, but Tuna, which is not normally found in
>>>Swedish waters.

>> When I see "hamachi" in sushi menus here, it usually refers
>>to yellowtail, not tuna. IIRC, yellowtail is in the jack family,
>>related to pompano, amberjack, etc.

> I can't believe I let him slide on that.

Yeah, me, too, considering you did call it salmon.
I'm losing it.
> I've been spending too much time spanking Republicans in
> online political debates. I have to ignore about 80%
> of the things they say to hit the points that someone
> might believe.
>

>> In a small sushi bar in SF, I had some great amberjack...the
>>chef seemed to think it was far better (more refined, I think he said
>>it was!) than yellowtail, with a more delicate taste. I liked it, but
>>think I still prefer yellowtail, which had a stronger buttery taste to
>>me. Had some great albacore at the same sushi bar, too.

> Kampachi. Sometimes "kampachi hamachi" on the menu.
> Very similar to the regular hamachi, but a little firmer
> and clearer.
>
> Coincidentally, I had some at Sakana when I was just there.
>
> I preferred the regular hamachi, but that could be because
> the regular hamachi was excellent, equal to the quality
> I usually expect from Shintaro in the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
>
> --Blair
> "Once you go jack, you never go back."

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Blair P. Houghton

alzelt > wrote:

>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> Ariane Jenkins > wrote:

>>> When I see "hamachi" in sushi menus here, it usually refers
>>>to yellowtail, not tuna. IIRC, yellowtail is in the jack family,
>>>related to pompano, amberjack, etc.

>> I can't believe I let him slide on that.

>Yeah, me, too, considering you did call it salmon.

You still don't get it. I wasn't sticking to the Salmon
theme started by the poster I replied to, I was referring
to using other kinds of fish as well, such as Hamachi.

> I'm losing it.

There's herbs for that. I recommend oregano, basil, marjoram,
thyme, and bay in a pot of tomato puree with some sausage
sauteed with onion and garlic in evoo, and a pinch of salt.
Dump over head and garnish with spaghetti. (Sorry, had to.)

--Blair
"Making up for lost oppertoonitty."