Melba's Jammin'

Default Manhattan Pictures Posted + recipes

I've just put up pictures from the first two days of Melba Does
Manhattan. About to head to the Blue Ribbon Granddaughter and her
parents for some holiday baking. Pray for me. I always preferred to do
this alone and God in all Her wisdom only knows how it'll turn out. I
expect a fun time tomorrow. Stay tuned. :-)
-Barb Crocker
Oh, we're doing Rolo cookies, sugar cookie cut-outs, Peanut Blossoms,
Snickerdoodles (gack). Maybe some Cream Cheese Spritz, too. Also,
hoping to make some Honey Popcorn Balls.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Honey Popcorn Balls

Recipe By: Star Tribune newspaper, posted to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller
more than once
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Candy

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 1/2 quarts unbuttered popcorn lightly salted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon butter

Put popped corn in oven to keep warm. Combine sugars, honey, and water
in a buttered 3-quart saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring until sugar is
dissolved. Cook to firm ball stage (248). Add butter and stir only
enough to mix. Slowly pour syrup over popcorn, tossing to mix. With
buttered hands, shape into balls. Makes about 12.

Notes: Note: These are really good; only takes about 10 minutes to
get to 248. Also, seems to me a 2-quart pan is sufficiently large for
boiling syrup.

{Efficaciously Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Rolo Cookies

Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller
Serving Size: 55
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup pecans (optional)
1 Bag Rolo candies
Granulated sugar

Make sure you've got enough Rolos.

Unwrap Rolo candies. Cream together margarine, sugars; mix in vanilla
and eggs. Mix in dry ingredients and nuts, if using. Dough is sticky.
Freeze dough for about 2 hours! Wrap about 1 tablespoon dough around a
Rolo and roll in granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheet and bake at
375 for 7-10 minutes. Cookies will flatten. Yield: About 55 cookies.

Made with Becky 12/6/97. Freezing the dough is imperative.
It's a mess otherwise!

Notes: Becky got the recipe from her friend, Sara. 2000:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Sugar Cookies

Recipe By: posted by Barb Schaller 11-30-02 and 12/13/03
Serving Size: 66
Preparation Time: 12:00
Categories: Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
4 cups sifted cake flour (14 oz.)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup soft shortening (5 oz.)
1 1/2 cups sugar (11-1/2 oz.)
2 eggs unbeaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 tsp. milk

Sift dry ingredients together; set aside. Mix shortening with sugar,
eggs, and vanilla until very light and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture
alternately with milk. Refrigerate dough until easy to handle (several
hours or overnight). Roll on floured board, cut, and bake at 400
degrees until delicate brown, about 9 minutes.

This is the only sugar cookie recipe Ive had much luck with!! The
dough handles beautifully! Design imprints from a cookie cutter remain
on the cookie, making decorating very easy. 11/25/89: ~5-1/2 dozen
cookies.

Notes: Source: Good Housekeeping Cookbook, page 657. First made in
the late 70s.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Peanut Blossoms

Recipe By: Pillsbury - A bake-off winner?
posted to r.f.c 12-13-03 by Barb Schaller
Serving Size: 48
Preparation Time: 0:15
Categories: Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
48 milk chocolate candy kisses (Hersheys; don't use other)

Combine all ingredients except candy in large mixer bowl. Mix on lowest
speed of mixer until dough forms. Shape dough into balls, using a
rounded
teaspoonful for each. Roll balls in sugar; place on ungreased cookie
sheets. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Top each cookie immediately
with
a candy kiss; press down firmly so cookie cracks around edge. Yield: 4
dozen cookies.

Notes: Source: Pillsbury Flour recipe flyer -- in the 1960s? This is
the original recipe. Note: When dough is measured with a
half-tablespoon
measuring spoon, this produces 60 cookies.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Triple Chocolate Kisses

Recipe By: posted to r.f.c 12-12-99 & 12-13-03 by Barb Schaller
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 square semisweet chocolate (1 oz.) grated
24 milk chocolate kisses
Unsweetened cocoa powder

For meringue, in a small mixer bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and
extract on medium speed till soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add
sugar, beating on high speed till stiff peaks form (tips stand
straight).
Fold in grated semisweet chocolate. Spoon meringue into a decorating bag
fitted with a star tip.

On a lightly greased cookie sheet pipe some of the meringue into 24
rounds, each about 1-1/4 inches in diameter. Lightly press a chocolate
kiss into each meringue round. Pipe meringue around each kiss in
concentric circles, starting at base and working toward top, till kiss is
completely covered. Dust with cocoa powder.

Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till light brown on the
edges. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; cool on a wire rack. Makes
24 kisses.

Nutrition information per kiss: 44 calories, 1 g protein, 7 g
carbohydrate, 2 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 23 mg potassium.

Notes: Source: Can't remember....These are ok, but nothing to write
home about.
###

{Magically Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Cream Cheese Spritz

Recipe By: Sandy's, 12/20/96; posted to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller
12-2-97, 11-26-2000 and 12-13-03. (I told you I've only got about 4
good recipes)
Serving Size: 84
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 cup butter softened
3 ounces cream cheese softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour maybe a little more
(No, there is no egg in here)

Make like cookies: Cream butter and cream cheese together with sugar
and vanilla (I use half almond). Mix in flour. Put through cookie
press (or pastry bag fitted with appropriate tube) and bake at 375
degrees 8-10 minutes.

Using a small open star pastry tube, make wreaths, sprinkle with green
sugar. Decorate with red frosting.

Betty Crocker Cooky Book Snickerdoodles

1-1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Margarine or Butter softened
1/2 C Shortening
2 Large Eggs
2-3/4 C Flour
2 t Cream of Tartar
1 t Baking Soda
1/4 t Salt
1/4 C Sugar
2 t Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix 1-1/2 C sugar, margarine or butter, shortening and eggs in large
bowl. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Mix the 1/4 C sugar and cinnamon
mixture. Roll balls in the mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased
cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Do not over bake.
--
-Barb
12-13-03: The first two days of Melba Does Manhattan have been
Felice Friese

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> I've just put up pictures from the first two days of Melba Does
> Manhattan.

<snip them recipes>

Great photos, Barb. You're off to a flying start. Now about that brunch ...

BTW, I actually OWN one of those Russian glass eggs, which I brought back
from an exhibit in Memphis of Treasures of the Czars. It has the Russian
eagle and some czarry symbols on it, and if you ever get to the Cape I'll
let you fondle it.

Felice

Frogleg

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:39:37 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I've just put up pictures from the first two days of Melba Does
>Manhattan.

www.jamlady.eboard.com

More, more! I checked out Dimitri in Mpls, too. How do you get people
to hold off consumption of all those lovely foods while you get
pictures? Thanks for sharing a bit of NYC with the rest of us. I'd
forgotten how iimpressive a big city can be up close, and in fancy
decor. Thanks.