SPOONS

Default Question??? electric indoor grills

Hi all,

I'm looking into some electric indoor grills. I came across all sorts of
sizes, styles and brands. Just yesterday I was at Sam's Club and saw the
new George Foreman Double Knockout Grill
What I'd like to know is if this is any good? Do the grill plates come off
to be washed? Can I grill on all four grill plates or only use it for
contact?

If you can suggest another good grill out there I'd appreciate it.

Here's a web site that shows a picture of it.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...showCrumb=true

Here's the info about it:

George Foreman Double Knockout Grill

With more than 200 square inches of combined cooking surface, this
indoor/outdoor electric grill gives you double the capacity of previous
Foreman models. The side-by-side nonstick grill plates, each 8 1/2" x 13",
are independently heated with separate temperature controls and timers, for
simultaneously cooking foods with different heat or time requirements
Floating hinges respond to variations in food thickness. Unique
top-and-bottom grill contact cooks quickly and evenly, with patented
channels to carry runoff grease and fat into a separate drip tray
(included). Also comes with a specially designed spatula with "teeth" that
fit grill channels. Timers adjustable to 30 minutes, with automatic shutoff.
UL* approved. 1500 watts. 23"W x 19 1/2"D x 6"H.

SPOONS

Davlo

If you're looking for the grilled flavor without all the high-tech nonsense,
get yourself a simple cast iron or heavy aluminum grill pan for your stove.
These work quite well, have no moving parts, are easy to clean and impart a
decent grill flavor - at least as much as any other electric gadget that
doesn't actually use wood or brickets to cook with. They're inexpensive too.

cynthia mason

I love my George Foreman grill. I have a medium large one from Target.
It has a timer on top and I use it daily - for steaks, salmon,
hamburgers,bacon, hamburgers, vegetables, grilled sandwiches,etc. I
often cook between 2 pieces of foil for no clean up. It is not very
much clean up when I don't use foil. My friend has an Ultrex from home
shoppping. It has grills or flat plates. They come out and go in the
dishwasher. I have had a grill pan but find this much better. This cooks
evenly on both sides and grease drains off.

Denise~*

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:47:21 GMT, "SPOONS"
> wrote:

>If you can suggest another good grill out there I'd appreciate it.

I have a T-Fal 7881700 Electric 2 in 1 Multi Grill BBQ & Skillet
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...940532-5075863
Features:
Multi-function with interchangeable griddle plate; ideal for breakfast
cooking. Adjustable thermostat allows full cooking control, from
warming to grilling. Removable water tray allows excess fat to drip
away, providing year-round smoke-free barbecues
Direct contact cooking on cast aluminum grill
Dishwasher safe; nonstick coated plates make clean-up easy

I love it becasue it has both a grill & skillet and is smokeless.
It's only default IMO is when you have to empty the water tray. It's
a bit tricky. Other than that, it cooks great.

I don't like the idea of the george foreman "clam". Why would you
want all of the juices squeezed out of your meat?

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

In rec.food.cooking, Davlo > wrote:
> If you're looking for the grilled flavor without all the high-tech nonsense,
> get yourself a simple cast iron or heavy aluminum grill pan for your stove.
> These work quite well, have no moving parts, are easy to clean and impart a
> decent grill flavor - at least as much as any other electric gadget that
> doesn't actually use wood or brickets to cook with. They're inexpensive too.

What is "grill flavor"?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Davlo

> wrote in message
> In rec.food.cooking, Davlo > wrote:
> > If you're looking for the grilled flavor without all the high-tech

nonsense,
> > get yourself a simple cast iron or heavy aluminum grill pan for your

stove.
> > These work quite well, have no moving parts, are easy to clean and

impart a
> > decent grill flavor - at least as much as any other electric gadget that
> > doesn't actually use wood or brickets to cook with. They're inexpensive

too.

> What is "grill flavor"?

You're right - that was what I was saying when I wrote "at least as much as
any other electric gadget that doesn't actually use wood or brickets" -

In my experience, "grilling" on a grill pan is almost like frying except
that there is less surface area in contact with the pan, allowing the juices
and smoke to infuse the food with a different quality than simple frying.
You also get the attractive grill marks, which for some people equates to
something more than just frying.

In rec.food.cooking, Davlo > wrote:

> In my experience, "grilling" on a grill pan is almost like frying except
> that there is less surface area in contact with the pan, allowing the juices
> and smoke to infuse the food with a different quality than simple frying.

Yum - Burned greasy smoke!

> You also get the attractive grill marks, which for some people equates to
> something more than just frying.

Yeah. That's the reason I use a "grill pan" sometimes. But aside from
aesthetics, the raised ridges actually do accomplish something, becuase
you can have the pan hot enough to sear the parts which hit the ridges
while not leaving the center totally raw. I have a big flat cast iron
griddle which straddles two burners on my stove. I usually use the flat
side, but if I'm cooking something which is very cold, or if I'm cooking
something which I'd like to cook through to the center, I use the ridged
side. It works well for boneless chicken breasts if I'm too lazy to start
some charcoal in the fireplace.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who