jmcquown

Default Grappa: why so expensive?

I read online Grappa is made from the crushed skins of leftover grapes,
stems and seeds from the wine pressing. I also read it helped grape farmers
financially get through poor harvests. However, yesterday while I was out
at lunch, a friend and I stopped in a new wine/liquor store and we saw some
Grappa in really cool mini bottles on a glass tray selling for $169.99. I'm
not sure, but I think it was French, not Italian, even though it was still
called Grappa. The regular sized bottle next to this pretty display was
$79.99.

If Grappa is made from 'leftovers', why is it so expensive? Is this what I
would have called in the 1980's a 'yuppie trend' ?

Jill (not thinking of buying Grappa)

cristina

jmcquown wrote:

> If Grappa is made from 'leftovers', why is it so expensive? Is this
> what I would have called in the 1980's a 'yuppie trend' ?

The price is related to the distilling process, taxes and the fact that it
is trendy as you wrote. We can get decent grappa here for a reasonable
price but when they ship it to the states and put it in cute little bottles
the price goes up ten fold. You can find real cheap grappa like Nardini in
the states but that stuff is real legal moonshine. The more expensive stuff
is smooth, taken from great vineyards and treated like liquid gold. Having
a good brunello grappa after a wonderful dinner where you drank brunello
wine is really a perfect end to the meal.

Cristina

Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy
http://www.cristinasweb.com

Peter Aitken

"cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>

> > If Grappa is made from 'leftovers', why is it so expensive? Is this
> > what I would have called in the 1980's a 'yuppie trend' ?

> The price is related to the distilling process, taxes and the fact that it
> is trendy as you wrote. We can get decent grappa here for a reasonable
> price but when they ship it to the states and put it in cute little

bottles
> the price goes up ten fold. You can find real cheap grappa like Nardini

in
> the states but that stuff is real legal moonshine. The more expensive

stuff
> is smooth, taken from great vineyards and treated like liquid gold.

Having
> a good brunello grappa after a wonderful dinner where you drank brunello
> wine is really a perfect end to the meal.

There's an interesting article in today's NY Times about a woman and her 3
daughters who were behind the recent grappa trendiness.

--
Peter Aitken

notbob

On 2003-12-06, jmcquown > wrote:

> If Grappa is made from 'leftovers', why is it so expensive? Is this what I
> would have called in the 1980's a 'yuppie trend' ?

I'd say you nailed it. I payed about $20 (yes, cutsie bottle) for
just a few ounces so I could see what's what. I asked the young clerk
why so expensive. He said, "I don't know. Tastes like gasoline, to
me". Took it home. Drank it. Yep ...gasoline!

SFBA foodies gush over it. Give me a martini.

nb

anna maria

notbob wrote:
> On 2003-12-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>

>>If Grappa is made from 'leftovers', why is it so expensive? Is this what I
>>would have called in the 1980's a 'yuppie trend' ?

> I'd say you nailed it. I payed about $20 (yes, cutsie bottle) for
> just a few ounces so I could see what's what. I asked the young clerk
> why so expensive. He said, "I don't know. Tastes like gasoline, to
> me". Took it home. Drank it. Yep ...gasoline!
>
> SFBA foodies gush over it. Give me a martini.
>
> nb

well... generally a good grappa doesn't need a cute bottle to sell. like
for example for olive oil, before buying a fancy botle you have to ask
yourself why? why the fancy bottle. most probably in the fancy bottle
they put the bad stuff they wouldn't sell otherwise.

for grappa, like for anything else, you have to know what you are
buying. and takes time and money. i am no grappa expert, but i drank
many times good grappas in italy, where for a good grappa you can pay
from 20-30$ and up (and no fancy bottle).

ciao, anna maria

www.annamariavolpi.com

cristina

Peter Aitken wrote:
> There's an interesting article in today's NY Times about a woman and
> her 3 daughters who were behind the recent grappa trendiness.

Thanks for the head's up Peter. That was probably the Nonino family and
they are the reason I came to Italy 9 years ago. So I thank the patriarch
every day!

Cristina
Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy
http://www.cristinasweb.com

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 04:31:34 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I read online Grappa is made from the crushed skins of leftover grapes,
>stems and seeds from the wine pressing. I also read it helped grape farmers
>financially get through poor harvests. However, yesterday while I was out
>at lunch, a friend and I stopped in a new wine/liquor store and we saw some
>Grappa in really cool mini bottles on a glass tray selling for $169.99. I'm
>not sure, but I think it was French, not Italian, even though it was still
>called Grappa. The regular sized bottle next to this pretty display was
>$79.99.
>
>If Grappa is made from 'leftovers', why is it so expensive? Is this what I
>would have called in the 1980's a 'yuppie trend' ?
>
>Jill (not thinking of buying Grappa)

If it had been French, it would have been called 'Marc de [wherever]'
not Grappa. Regular-size bottles of grappa and marc cover a wide range
of prices reflecting what they can get for them, just like whiskey,
cognac, etc. Usually age is a significant cost factor.

I once paid an outrageous price for a US grappa. It was a grappa of
Zinfandel from Germain-Robin, which makes some very nice brandies at
reasonable prices. This one was in the high forties for a half-bottle.

I sipped it at rare intervals, and it was marvelous. I had a 35 year
old Calvados in Paris that was in the same league, but that would
doubtless be more expensive if you could find a bottle of it.

I settle for much cheaper things in retirement.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

The sound of a Great Blue Heron's wingbeats going by your head
WardNA

>If Grappa is made from 'leftovers', why is it so expensive?

.. . . and if sherry is just pickled wine, why is IT so expensive?

.. . . and if single malt scotch is just burned sprouted barley mooshed up in
water, fermented, distilled, and aged in barrels, why is IT so expensive?

In fact, there are cheap grappas and expensive ones, just as there are cheap
and expensive sherries and scotches. All of these drinks evolved from
technologies intended to salvage and add value to low-value raw materials, and,
in each case, developed features and values that reflect the accumulated
judgments and skills of generations of producers.

Grappa has a bouquet that DOES somewhat suggest chloroform, but for those who
can leave prejudice behind and appreciate subtleties keep returning to it. As
to the difference between a $20 bottle and a $180 one, similar silliness
attends the world of wine trendies.

Neil
Dave Smith

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

> If it had been French, it would have been called 'Marc de [wherever]'
> not Grappa. Regular-size bottles of grappa and marc cover a wide range
> of prices reflecting what they can get for them, just like whiskey,
> cognac, etc. Usually age is a significant cost factor.

I tried Marc once. It must be an acquired taste. I like most liquors straight and
thoroughly enjoy a nice brandy or cognac. Drinking marc was a unique experience.
I sipped it and attempted to savour it. What I experienced was a sequence of
sensations as it passed from one zone of my palate to another, and none of them
pleasant.

Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
>

> > If it had been French, it would have been called 'Marc de [wherever]'
> > not Grappa. Regular-size bottles of grappa and marc cover a wide range
> > of prices reflecting what they can get for them, just like whiskey,
> > cognac, etc. Usually age is a significant cost factor.

> I tried Marc once. It must be an acquired taste. I like most liquors

straight and
> thoroughly enjoy a nice brandy or cognac. Drinking marc was a unique

experience.
> I sipped it and attempted to savour it. What I experienced was a sequence

of
> sensations as it passed from one zone of my palate to another, and none of

them
> pleasant.

Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned connoisseur you
might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject. Cognac *is* brandy.

--
Peter Aitken

WardNA

>Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned connoisseur you
>might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject. Cognac *is* brandy.

That's certainly not the common usage. Both are distilled from wine, but
cognac is distinguished by getting its character from the cask, brandy from the
grape.
Wayne Boatwright

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in
. com:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
>>

>> > If it had been French, it would have been called 'Marc de
>> > [wherever]' not Grappa. Regular-size bottles of grappa and marc
>> > cover a wide range of prices reflecting what they can get for them,
>> > just like whiskey, cognac, etc. Usually age is a significant cost
>> > factor.

>> I tried Marc once. It must be an acquired taste. I like most liquors

> straight and
>> thoroughly enjoy a nice brandy or cognac. Drinking marc was a unique

> experience.
>> I sipped it and attempted to savour it. What I experienced was a
>> sequence

> of
>> sensations as it passed from one zone of my palate to another, and
>> none of

> them
>> pleasant.
>>

> Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned
> connoisseur you might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject.
> Cognac *is* brandy.

Before you make any more efforts to come across as a complete ass,
recognize that not all brandy is cognac. It seems common to reference
both.

Wayne
Peter Aitken

"WardNA" > wrote in message
> >Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned connoisseur

you
> >might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject. Cognac *is* brandy.

> That's certainly not the common usage. Both are distilled from wine, but
> cognac is distinguished by getting its character from the cask, brandy

from the
> grape.

Nope - Cognac is brandy from a certain region of France. They may in fact
traditionally use different techniques, but brandy is brandy - distilled
from wine or from the fermented juice of fruit.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
> . com:

> >> I tried Marc once. It must be an acquired taste. I like most liquors

> > straight and
> >> thoroughly enjoy a nice brandy or cognac. Drinking marc was a unique

> > experience.
> >> I sipped it and attempted to savour it. What I experienced was a
> >> sequence

> > of
> >> sensations as it passed from one zone of my palate to another, and
> >> none of

> > them
> >> pleasant.
> >>

> > Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned
> > connoisseur you might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject.
> > Cognac *is* brandy.
> >

> Before you make any more efforts to come across as a complete ass,
> recognize that not all brandy is cognac. It seems common to reference
> both.
>
> Wayne

Are you in a nitwit contest? I suspect you are way ahead. My point exactly -
all Cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is Cognac. Saying "I enjoy brandy
and Cognac" is like saying "I enjoy wine and Burgundy" or "I enjoy whiskey
and Scotch." If you do not understand that then you are beyond hope.

--
Peter Aitken

Julia Altshuler

WardNA wrote:

> That's certainly not the common usage. Both are distilled from wine, but
> cognac is distinguished by getting its character from the cask, brandy from the
> grape.

I'd never heard that distinction before. To my knowledge (and I checked
this with a bit of web research before posting), brandy is the umbrella
term for the distilled spirit from grape wine. Cognac is brandy from
the Cognac region of France.

--Lia

Sergio

"Peter Aitken" <> wrote in message > "Wayne Boatwright" < wrote in message
> > > "Peter Aitken" wrote in

the wine is made, (and also wine)
Different grapes give a different flavor, When I travel to Italy I buy a
bottle from the area I am in,
I found that the grappa made in the upper Veneto region is much harsher
than the one made from the
Brachetto grapes that grow in the Piemonte region, or the moscato grapes.
I usualy buy 20 bottles and I paid as little as $ 4.00 and as high as $
45.00, In Bassano they had some as high as $ 200.00, there I
bought the one costing about $ 18.00, you find the best buys in
supermarkets.
I like to sip the grappa in a warm glass, but most of it I drink in a cup of
coffee. ( caffe corretto )

Sergio

> > > straight and
> > > experience.
> > > of

not all brandy is cognac. > >
> > Wayne

> Are you in a nitwit contest? I suspect you are way ahead. My point

exactly -
> all Cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is Cognac. Saying "I enjoy brandy
> and Cognac" is like saying "I enjoy wine and Burgundy" or "I enjoy whiskey
> and Scotch." If you do not understand that then you are beyond hope.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Wayne Boatwright

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in
. com:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
>> . com:

>> > straight and
>> > experience.
>> > of
>> > them
>> >>

>> > Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned
>> > connoisseur you might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject.
>> > Cognac *is* brandy.
>> >

>> Before you make any more efforts to come across as a complete ass,
>> recognize that not all brandy is cognac. It seems common to
>> reference both.
>>
>> Wayne

> Are you in a nitwit contest? I suspect you are way ahead. My point
> exactly - all Cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is Cognac. Saying
> "I enjoy brandy and Cognac" is like saying "I enjoy wine and Burgundy"
> or "I enjoy whiskey and Scotch." If you do not understand that then
> you are beyond hope.

No, but you must be. Many people make a distinction between Cognac and
other brandies. Some people enjoy one and not the other. Similarly, you
are missing the point in your own example of whiskey and Scotch. Some
may enjoy Scotch and not other types of whiskey. To collectively say
that they enjoy whiskey would not be correct.

Peter Aitken

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
> . com:
>
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> > message . ..
> >> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
> >> . com:

> >> Before you make any more efforts to come across as a complete ass,
> >> recognize that not all brandy is cognac. It seems common to
> >> reference both.
> >>
> >> Wayne

> > Are you in a nitwit contest? I suspect you are way ahead. My point
> > exactly - all Cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is Cognac. Saying
> > "I enjoy brandy and Cognac" is like saying "I enjoy wine and Burgundy"
> > or "I enjoy whiskey and Scotch." If you do not understand that then
> > you are beyond hope.
> >

> No, but you must be. Many people make a distinction between Cognac and
> other brandies. Some people enjoy one and not the other. Similarly, you
> are missing the point in your own example of whiskey and Scotch. Some
> may enjoy Scotch and not other types of whiskey. To collectively say
> that they enjoy whiskey would not be correct.

Beyond hope it is. But, in a last effort to communicate, here's the correct
way to say it: I enjoy Cognac and other brandies.

Or perhaps: I enjoy Scotch but not other whiskeys.

I hope you get it. If not, there's nothing more I can do for you.

--
Peter Aitken

WardNA

>I hope you get it. If not, there's nothing more I can do for you.

Wayne Boatwright

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in
. com:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
>> . com:
>>
>> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
>> > message . ..

>> > Are you in a nitwit contest? I suspect you are way ahead. My point
>> > exactly - all Cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is Cognac.
>> > Saying "I enjoy brandy and Cognac" is like saying "I enjoy wine and
>> > Burgundy" or "I enjoy whiskey and Scotch." If you do not understand
>> > that then you are beyond hope.
>> >

>> No, but you must be. Many people make a distinction between Cognac
>> and other brandies. Some people enjoy one and not the other.
>> Similarly, you are missing the point in your own example of whiskey
>> and Scotch. Some may enjoy Scotch and not other types of whiskey.
>> To collectively say that they enjoy whiskey would not be correct.
>>

> Beyond hope it is. But, in a last effort to communicate, here's the
> correct way to say it: I enjoy Cognac and other brandies.
>
> Or perhaps: I enjoy Scotch but not other whiskeys.
>
> I hope you get it. If not, there's nothing more I can do for you.

Believe me, Peter, I didn't ask you to do anything for me. I still think
the poster's statement would have been understood by most people. I
don't disagree that your phraseology may be more clear. RFC, however, is
not an English class and you are not the professor. Get over yourself,
or at least pontificate where it may be appreciated.

Dave Smith

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned connoisseur you
> might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject. Cognac *is* brandy.

Maybe so, but it may be late to stop yourself from looking like a pedantic fool
you should realize that only some brandy is cognac. Cognac is brandy from the
Cognac region of France, just as Armanac, which is also a brandy from the
Armanac region. For that matter, I also like Calvados, also a brandy but made
from apples.

Dave Smith

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "WardNA" > wrote in message
> > >Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned connoisseur

> you
> > >might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject. Cognac *is* brandy.

> > That's certainly not the common usage. Both are distilled from wine, but
> > cognac is distinguished by getting its character from the cask, brandy

> from the
> > grape.

> Nope - Cognac is brandy from a certain region of France. They may in fact
> traditionally use different techniques, but brandy is brandy - distilled
> from wine or from the fermented juice of fruit.

While Brandy can be distilled from just about any grape or other fruit, Cognac
is made from white wine only and is aged in oak barrels from the Limousin or
Troncais area. Armagnac is also made from white wine and is aged in black oak
from Monzelun forest.

Since their basic ingredients and ageing processes are quite specific, I would
suggest that they are different products.

Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
> > Before you make any more efforts to come across as a learned connoisseur

you
> > might do well to kearn a littlle about the subject. Cognac *is* brandy.
> >

> Maybe so, but it may be late to stop yourself from looking like a pedantic

fool
> you should realize that only some brandy is cognac. Cognac is brandy from

the
> Cognac region of France, just as Armanac, which is also a brandy from the
> Armanac region. For that matter, I also like Calvados, also a brandy but

made
> from apples.

Yes of course I know that only some brandy is Cognac - did I say
differently? No I did not. You are using the classic "straw man" technique
where you cleverly demolish an argument that your opponent did not make. I
am delighted that you enjoy various brandies - me too - but when you said
that you enjoy brandy and Cognac it seemed to indicate that you were unaware
that Cognac is brandy. Would you way that you enjoy wine and Burgundy?
Whiskey and scotch? Cheese and cheddar? I think I have made my point.

--
Peter Aitken

Dave Smith

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Yes of course I know that only some brandy is Cognac - did I say
> differently? No I did not. You are using the classic "straw man" technique
> where you cleverly demolish an argument that your opponent did not make. I
> am delighted that you enjoy various brandies - me too - but when you said
> that you enjoy brandy and Cognac it seemed to indicate that you were unaware
> that Cognac is brandy. Would you way that you enjoy wine and Burgundy?
> Whiskey and scotch? Cheese and cheddar? I think I have made my point.

You have made you point? No. You have made a pedantic fool of yourself.

Sergio

Please let's go back to the original question,
which was
( Why is Grappa so Expensive when it is made from lefovers ? )
I went to the local wine shop and asked for a bottle of Grappa, Five kinds,
Lowest price $37.00 Highest $ 78.00
I did not buy any because I travel to Italy and buy it there, but there was
one there (Zonin) for over $ 40.00 same bottle in Italy I paid 24,000 lire =
less than $12.00.

So, why does it cost so much here,

You can get STOCK brandy distilled in Italy for less than J Bavet
Sergio

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>

> > Yes of course I know that only some brandy is Cognac - did I say
> > differently? No I did not. You are using the classic "straw man"

technique
> > where you cleverly demolish an argument that your opponent did not make.

> > am delighted that you enjoy various brandies - me too - but when you

said
> > that you enjoy brandy and Cognac it seemed to indicate that you were

unaware
> > that Cognac is brandy. Would you way that you enjoy wine and Burgundy?
> > Whiskey and scotch? Cheese and cheddar? I think I have made my point.
> >

> You have made you point? No. You have made a pedantic fool of yourself.

Don't we somehow enjoy the more expensive than the less expensive? [email protected] Wine 5 23-11-2014 04:13 PM
Walnuts: Why are they so expensive? [email protected] General Cooking 57 08-08-2014 01:40 AM
What is grappa? J J Levin Wine 19 10-02-2008 10:17 PM
"Grappling with grappa". Adam Funk General 2 30-06-2006 05:29 PM
Grappa Question Weez Winemaking 23 28-09-2004 04:41 AM