LenS

Default Panda Express Mystery -- O.T.

I had lunch at a Panda Express restaurant today in a suburb of
Chicago, and came away gastronomically satisfied but puzzled about
their pricing.

For those who aren't familiar with Panda Express, it's a chain of
"Chinese" buffets which, according to their website
www.pandaexpress.com, operates in 37 states and Puerto Rico.

A steam table displays a variety of dishes usually found in "Chinese"
restaurants in the U.S. The customer has a choice of a single entree
accompanied by steamed rice, or a 2-entree or 3-entree plate, each of
which is accompanied by steamed rice or chow mein noodles or fried
rice.

The entree menu is as follows:
Orange Flavored Chicken $6.59 Beef w/broccoli 6.59
Chicken w/mushrooms 5.59 Sweet & Sour pork 6.09
Kung Pao chicken 5.59 BBQ pork 6.59
Mandarin chicken 6.59 Mixed vegetables 4.79
Each of the listed entrees comes with steamed rice. Fried rice or chow
mein noodles instead of steamed rice, costs another dollar.

Then there are the combo plates:
2-entree plate $5.09
3-entree plate 6.29
The 2-entree and 3-entree plates each come with any two entrees and
_a choice_ of steamed rice, fried rice, or chow mein noodles.

Now, what puzzles me is that--except for the mixed vegetable entree--
it's cheaper to order a 2-entree plate and throw one of the entrees
away than it is to order a single entree.

For example, I had a 2-entree plate of Mandarin chicken and Orange
Flavored chicken with a side of chow mein noodles. That was $5.09. The
portions were very large and in fact, I left the equivalent of about
one portion uneaten. (I imagine I could have asked for a carton to
take the remainder home.)

If I'd ordered only the Orange Flavored chicken or only the Mandarin
chicken (along with the steamed rice) the bill would have been $6.59.
Chow mein noodles or fried rice instead of steamed rice would have
added another buck, making my lunch $7.59; two and a half dollars more
than I actually paid.

I acknowledge that a single entree would have been larger than either
of the two entrees, but no larger than the two entrees together. And
if I couldn't finish the 2-entree plate I wouldn't have been able to
finish the single entree, either.

Am I overlooking something obvious here? I'm confused about why Panda
Express, in a sense, punishes customers who only want one entree
(other than mixed vegetables). What's the marketing logic here?

Any comments will be welcome.

-Len

Paul M. Cook©®

"LenS" > wrote in message
> I had lunch at a Panda Express restaurant today in a suburb of
> Chicago, and came away gastronomically satisfied but puzzled about
> their pricing.
>
> For those who aren't familiar with Panda Express, it's a chain of
> "Chinese" buffets which, according to their website
> www.pandaexpress.com, operates in 37 states and Puerto Rico.
>
> A steam table displays a variety of dishes usually found in "Chinese"
> restaurants in the U.S. The customer has a choice of a single entree
> accompanied by steamed rice, or a 2-entree or 3-entree plate, each of
> which is accompanied by steamed rice or chow mein noodles or fried
> rice.
>
> The entree menu is as follows:
> Orange Flavored Chicken $6.59 Beef w/broccoli 6.59
> Chicken w/mushrooms 5.59 Sweet & Sour pork 6.09
> Kung Pao chicken 5.59 BBQ pork 6.59
> Mandarin chicken 6.59 Mixed vegetables 4.79
> Each of the listed entrees comes with steamed rice. Fried rice or chow
> mein noodles instead of steamed rice, costs another dollar.
>
> Then there are the combo plates:
> 2-entree plate $5.09
> 3-entree plate 6.29
> The 2-entree and 3-entree plates each come with any two entrees and
> _a choice_ of steamed rice, fried rice, or chow mein noodles.
>
> Now, what puzzles me is that--except for the mixed vegetable entree--
> it's cheaper to order a 2-entree plate and throw one of the entrees
> away than it is to order a single entree.
>
> For example, I had a 2-entree plate of Mandarin chicken and Orange
> Flavored chicken with a side of chow mein noodles. That was $5.09. The
> portions were very large and in fact, I left the equivalent of about
> one portion uneaten. (I imagine I could have asked for a carton to
> take the remainder home.)
>
> If I'd ordered only the Orange Flavored chicken or only the Mandarin
> chicken (along with the steamed rice) the bill would have been $6.59.
> Chow mein noodles or fried rice instead of steamed rice would have
> added another buck, making my lunch $7.59; two and a half dollars more
> than I actually paid.
>
> I acknowledge that a single entree would have been larger than either
> of the two entrees, but no larger than the two entrees together. And
> if I couldn't finish the 2-entree plate I wouldn't have been able to
> finish the single entree, either.
>
> Am I overlooking something obvious here? I'm confused about why Panda
> Express, in a sense, punishes customers who only want one entree
> (other than mixed vegetables). What's the marketing logic here?
>
> Any comments will be welcome.

Panda Express = big monolithic corporation with overplayed executives and
every motivation in the world to give you as little for your money as they
can possibly get away with.

Frequent toe small family owned places - you'll enjoy superior food and
you'll support the little guy.

Paul

Reg

Paul M. Cook©® wrote:

> Panda Express = big monolithic corporation with overplayed executives and
> every motivation in the world to give you as little for your money as they
> can possibly get away with.

What's an "overplayed executive"? Just curious.

PENMART01

>(Note that I don't go out of my way to eat there, being a
><S>connoisseur</S> kind-of-sewer of real Chinese food)
>
>-sw

Um, Chung King ain't real Chinese food. duh

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
byakee

One dark day on Usenet, "Paul M. Cook©®" > said:

<snip>

> Frequent toe small family owned places - you'll enjoy superior food and
> you'll support the little guy.

True.

There's a little Chinese restaurant in my town that's been around
since the late 50's -- excellent food, cafe-style atmosphere. If
only I weren't the only person in my group who likes Chinese food.

J.J. in WA - who has some weird loved-ones...

Gregory Morrow

LenS wrote:

> Am I overlooking something obvious here? I'm confused about why Panda
> Express, in a sense, punishes customers who only want one entree
> (other than mixed vegetables). What's the marketing logic here?

It's gawdawful "Chinese" food at it's *worst*. Avoid it like the plague.

Where was this in the Chicago 'burbs? You could prolly find much better -
lotsa decent family - run Chinese/Asian joints in strip mall - type places.
Ask on the newsgroup chi.eats - those birds are always scouting out cheapo
Asian options in the 'boibs...

--
Best
Greg

Paul M. Cook©®

"Reg" > wrote in message
. ..
> Paul M. Cook©® wrote:
>
> > Panda Express = big monolithic corporation with overplayed executives

and
> > every motivation in the world to give you as little for your money as

they
> > can possibly get away with.

> What's an "overplayed executive"? Just curious.

An overpayed executive that was slaughtered by my spell czecker.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:19:46 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> > wrote:
>
> >Panda Express = big monolithic corporation with overplayed executives and
> >every motivation in the world to give you as little for your money as

they
> >can possibly get away with.

> Nice mis-placed rant. The poster sounded very satisfied with her
> portions, and that has been my experience there as well.

I see. The food sucks ass but you get more of it. Kind of like the contest
where first prize is a week in Newark, NJ and the second prize is two weeks
in Newark, NJ.

I fail to see a rant in my post. A well deserved critique, yes.

Paul

Reg

Paul M. Cook©® wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
>>What's an "overplayed executive"? Just curious.

> An overpayed executive that was slaughtered by my spell czecker.

Makes sense now

George

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
message link.net...

> LenS wrote:
>
> > Am I overlooking something obvious here? I'm confused about why Panda
> > Express, in a sense, punishes customers who only want one entree
> > (other than mixed vegetables). What's the marketing logic here?
> >

> It's gawdawful "Chinese" food at it's *worst*. Avoid it like the plague.
>
> Where was this in the Chicago 'burbs? You could prolly find much better -
> lotsa decent family - run Chinese/Asian joints in strip mall - type

places.
> Ask on the newsgroup chi.eats - those birds are always scouting out cheapo
> Asian options in the 'boibs...

Good advice. The only reason to go to those places is if you don't mind
industrial food or can't find a family run place. There are 2 excellent
little
"hole in the wall" family run places in my neighborhood. The places are
squeaky clean, the kitchen is in view and the quality of the food is
excellent. They will also make non menu items if you ask.

> --
> Best
> Greg

George

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
message link.net...

> LenS wrote:
>
> > Am I overlooking something obvious here? I'm confused about why Panda
> > Express, in a sense, punishes customers who only want one entree
> > (other than mixed vegetables). What's the marketing logic here?
> >

> It's gawdawful "Chinese" food at it's *worst*. Avoid it like the plague.
>
> Where was this in the Chicago 'burbs? You could prolly find much better -
> lotsa decent family - run Chinese/Asian joints in strip mall - type

places.
> Ask on the newsgroup chi.eats - those birds are always scouting out cheapo
> Asian options in the 'boibs...

Good advice. The only reason to go to those places is if you don't mind
industrial food or can't find a family run place. There are 2 excellent
little
"hole in the wall" family run places in my neighborhood. The places are
squeaky clean, the kitchen is in view and the quality of the food is
excellent. They will also make non menu items if you ask.

> --
> Best
> Greg

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Paul M.
Cook©®" > wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > What's an "overplayed executive"? Just curious.

> An overpayed executive that was slaughtered by my spell czecker.
>
> Paul

Overpaid executive? The spell czecker oughtta be fired. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

PENMART01

> There are 2 excellent
>little
>"hole in the wall" family run places in my neighborhood. The places are
>squeaky clean, the kitchen is in view and the quality of the food is
>excellent.
>
>They will also make non menu items if you ask.
>
>Greg

The neighborhood where I lived on Lung Guyland had over the years become
heavily Latino influenced... but the local Chinese restuarants adapted quite
nicely. Along with their usual Chinese fare they'd also prepare many ethnic
Latino foods... they made the best Puerto Rican and Jamaican foods. Often I go
in for dinner and the place was packed with all the patrons speaking Spanish,
and Spanish speaking people speak LOUD, especially the males... their faces
could be no more than six inches apart and they speak as though they were
talking to someone a city block away... even louder on a cell phone, at the
octave they use they could easily be heard from NY all the way to PR without
the phone... I just find how loud Latino men speak funny... maybe compensates
for having pequeno peckers?
Chinese are very resourceful, they seemed to comprehend Spanish as well as they
did English... they're especially nimble at counting money in Spanish.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Steve Knight

>(Note that I don't go out of my way to eat there, being a
>connoisseur of real Chinese food)

I agree. I wish it was not so hard to find.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

>(Note that I don't go out of my way to eat there, being a
>connoisseur of real Chinese food)

I agree. I wish it was not so hard to find.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Foxy Lady

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
<snip>

> octave they use they could easily be heard from NY all the way to PR

without
> the phone... I just find how loud Latino men speak funny... maybe

compensates
> for having pequeno peckers?

not a chance Sheldon... <wink>

Sandra >>> who lived in PR 34 years, had her share of delicious PR men and
found NONE of them lacking in that department... just the contrary!!!

PENMART01

> I just find how loud Latino men speak funny... maybe
>compensates
>> for having pequeno peckers?

>not a chance Sheldon... <wink>
>
>Sandra

THEN WHY GO THEY TALK SO FRIGGIN 'LOUD?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Foxy Lady

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > I just find how loud Latino men speak funny... maybe
> >compensates
> >> for having pequeno peckers?

> >not a chance Sheldon... <wink>
> >
> >Sandra

> THEN WHY GO THEY TALK SO FRIGGIN 'LOUD?

Who knows??? Maybe because they're used to talking over their loud music to
be heard and it stays with them <wink> !!!

Foxy Lady

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > I just find how loud Latino men speak funny... maybe
> >compensates
> >> for having pequeno peckers?

> >not a chance Sheldon... <wink>
> >
> >Sandra

> THEN WHY GO THEY TALK SO FRIGGIN 'LOUD?

Who knows??? Maybe because they're used to talking over their loud music to
be heard and it stays with them <wink> !!!

Gregory Morrow

"Pinga" PENMART01 sez:

> > I just find how loud Latino men speak funny... maybe
> >compensates
> >> for having pequeno peckers?

> >not a chance Sheldon... <wink>
> >
> >Sandra

> THEN WHY GO THEY TALK SO FRIGGIN 'LOUD?

Mebbe they're in pain 'cos they just got their foreskins snipped....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

"Pinga" PENMART01 sez:

> > I just find how loud Latino men speak funny... maybe
> >compensates
> >> for having pequeno peckers?

> >not a chance Sheldon... <wink>
> >
> >Sandra

> THEN WHY GO THEY TALK SO FRIGGIN 'LOUD?

Mebbe they're in pain 'cos they just got their foreskins snipped....

--
Best
Greg

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Foxy Lady"
> wrote:

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> > octave they use they could easily be heard from NY all the way to
> > PR without the phone... I just find how loud Latino men speak
> > funny... maybe compensates for having pequeno peckers?

> not a chance Sheldon... <wink>

TMI!!!

> Sandra >>> who lived in PR 34 years, had her share of delicious PR
> men and found NONE of them lacking in that department... just the
> contrary!!!

Braggart!!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Foxy Lady"
> wrote:

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> > octave they use they could easily be heard from NY all the way to
> > PR without the phone... I just find how loud Latino men speak
> > funny... maybe compensates for having pequeno peckers?

> not a chance Sheldon... <wink>

TMI!!!

> Sandra >>> who lived in PR 34 years, had her share of delicious PR
> men and found NONE of them lacking in that department... just the
> contrary!!!

Braggart!!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Foxy Lady

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Foxy Lady"
> > wrote:
>
> > "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > <snip>
> >
> > > octave they use they could easily be heard from NY all the way to
> > > PR without the phone... I just find how loud Latino men speak
> > > funny... maybe compensates for having pequeno peckers?

> > not a chance Sheldon... <wink>

> TMI!!!
> >
> > Sandra >>> who lived in PR 34 years, had her share of delicious PR
> > men and found NONE of them lacking in that department... just the
> > contrary!!!

> Braggart!!

LOL!!!

Barb... I guess it was the Flower Revolution <wink>

Sandra

Foxy Lady

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Foxy Lady"
> > wrote:
>
> > "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > <snip>
> >
> > > octave they use they could easily be heard from NY all the way to
> > > PR without the phone... I just find how loud Latino men speak
> > > funny... maybe compensates for having pequeno peckers?

> > not a chance Sheldon... <wink>

> TMI!!!
> >
> > Sandra >>> who lived in PR 34 years, had her share of delicious PR
> > men and found NONE of them lacking in that department... just the
> > contrary!!!

> Braggart!!

LOL!!!

Barb... I guess it was the Flower Revolution <wink>

Sandra

robobass

LenS > wrote in message >. ..
> I had lunch at a Panda Express restaurant today in a suburb of

> Am I overlooking something obvious here? I'm confused about why Panda
> Express, in a sense, punishes customers who only want one entree
> (other than mixed vegetables). What's the marketing logic here?
>
> Any comments will be welcome.
>
> -Len

When, in modern consumer living, is pricing of any product at all
logical? How often is a larger package more expensive per unit weight
than a small one? People never seem to do the maths. I remember when I
lived in NYC that almost all pizza shops charged a lot more extra for
the second topping than for the first. It was the same in the grocery
or in wallmart. The "economy size" is very often not a better bargain.
I seem to be the only one who ever notices.

Now I live in Europe and things are no different. In practically any
store that sells grill charcoal, a 2.5 or 3 kg bag will be much
cheaper per kg than a larger bag. Who can explain this? Perhaps the
phrase "the customer is always right" has been updated to "the
customer is a freakin' idiot."

Robobass

Pest problem?
You know, I've noticed an infestation here. Everywhere I look in fact,
nothing but undeveloped, unevolved pond scum, totally convinced of
their own superiority, as they scurry about their short, pointless
lives.
Bean

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in
:

> Panda Express = big monolithic corporation with overplayed executives
> and every motivation in the world to give you as little for your money
> as they can possibly get away with.
>
> Frequent toe small family owned places - you'll enjoy superior food
> and you'll support the little guy.
>
> Paul

Not everybody is so lucky. Where I live, the "mom & pop" places are
horrible. There are three in town, and unless your idea of great Chinese is
salty, greasy whatever with huge pieces of celery, onion, and tough meat,
forget it. Anything, including Panda Express, is better than they are. I
realize this isn't true everywhere, but you just can't make blanket
statements like "you'll enjoy superior food." I don't want to support the
little guy just for the sake of it - I will support them if their food is
good.
Bean

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in
:

> Panda Express = big monolithic corporation with overplayed executives
> and every motivation in the world to give you as little for your money
> as they can possibly get away with.
>
> Frequent toe small family owned places - you'll enjoy superior food
> and you'll support the little guy.
>
> Paul

Not everybody is so lucky. Where I live, the "mom & pop" places are
horrible. There are three in town, and unless your idea of great Chinese is
salty, greasy whatever with huge pieces of celery, onion, and tough meat,
forget it. Anything, including Panda Express, is better than they are. I
realize this isn't true everywhere, but you just can't make blanket
statements like "you'll enjoy superior food." I don't want to support the
little guy just for the sake of it - I will support them if their food is
good.
Dan Abel

In article >, wrote:

> I had lunch at a Panda Express restaurant today in a suburb of
> Chicago

> The entree menu is as follows:
> Orange Flavored Chicken $6.59 Beef w/broccoli 6.59
> Chicken w/mushrooms 5.59 Sweet & Sour

pork 6.09
> Kung Pao chicken 5.59 BBQ

pork 6.59
> Mandarin chicken 6.59 Mixed

vegetables 4.79
> Each of the listed entrees comes with steamed rice. Fried rice or chow
> mein noodles instead of steamed rice, costs another dollar.
>
> Then there are the combo plates:
> 2-entree plate $5.09
> 3-entree plate 6.29
> The 2-entree and 3-entree plates each come with any two entrees and
> _a choice_ of steamed rice, fried rice, or chow mein noodles.
>
> Now, what puzzles me is that--except for the mixed vegetable entree--
> it's cheaper to order a 2-entree plate and throw one of the entrees
> away than it is to order a single entree.

What puzzles me is why anybody would eat at Panda Express, unless there
wasn't any decent Chinese food around. They put in a Panda close to my
house, and I'm always amazed how many people are in there. In the same
shopping center, across the "street", is a real Chinese restaurant with
real Chinese food. They serve a lunch special for US$3.79 that is
edible. A block away is a much better place with an all-you-can-eat lunch
buffet for US$6.85. On the other side of that shopping center is where I
usually eat Chinese food, and their lunch specials, on a two page menu,
run around US$4.50. You get good soup, a won ton, half a small egg roll,
choice of steamed rice, fried rice or chow mein, cooked to order main
dish, orange sections, tea and a fortune cookie.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article >, wrote:

> I had lunch at a Panda Express restaurant today in a suburb of
> Chicago

> The entree menu is as follows:
> Orange Flavored Chicken $6.59 Beef w/broccoli 6.59
> Chicken w/mushrooms 5.59 Sweet & Sour

pork 6.09
> Kung Pao chicken 5.59 BBQ

pork 6.59
> Mandarin chicken 6.59 Mixed

vegetables 4.79
> Each of the listed entrees comes with steamed rice. Fried rice or chow
> mein noodles instead of steamed rice, costs another dollar.
>
> Then there are the combo plates:
> 2-entree plate $5.09
> 3-entree plate 6.29
> The 2-entree and 3-entree plates each come with any two entrees and
> _a choice_ of steamed rice, fried rice, or chow mein noodles.
>
> Now, what puzzles me is that--except for the mixed vegetable entree--
> it's cheaper to order a 2-entree plate and throw one of the entrees
> away than it is to order a single entree.

What puzzles me is why anybody would eat at Panda Express, unless there
wasn't any decent Chinese food around. They put in a Panda close to my
house, and I'm always amazed how many people are in there. In the same
shopping center, across the "street", is a real Chinese restaurant with
real Chinese food. They serve a lunch special for US$3.79 that is
edible. A block away is a much better place with an all-you-can-eat lunch
buffet for US$6.85. On the other side of that shopping center is where I
usually eat Chinese food, and their lunch specials, on a two page menu,
run around US$4.50. You get good soup, a won ton, half a small egg roll,
choice of steamed rice, fried rice or chow mein, cooked to order main
dish, orange sections, tea and a fortune cookie.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University
AIS

Paul M. Cook©®

"Bean" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in
> :
>

> > Panda Express = big monolithic corporation with overplayed executives
> > and every motivation in the world to give you as little for your money
> > as they can possibly get away with.
> >
> > Frequent toe small family owned places - you'll enjoy superior food
> > and you'll support the little guy.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Not everybody is so lucky. Where I live, the "mom & pop" places are
> horrible. There are three in town, and unless your idea of great Chinese

is
> salty, greasy whatever with huge pieces of celery, onion, and tough meat,
> forget it. Anything, including Panda Express, is better than they are. I
> realize this isn't true everywhere, but you just can't make blanket
> statements like "you'll enjoy superior food." I don't want to support the
> little guy just for the sake of it - I will support them if their food is
> good.

Well it is assumed you would not be a repeat customer if the food was no
good. Panda Express to me is like Olive Garden. If I want microwave
Chinese food I'll heat it at home.

That's my 2 cents - where is my change?

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Bean" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in
> :
>

> > Panda Express = big monolithic corporation with overplayed executives
> > and every motivation in the world to give you as little for your money
> > as they can possibly get away with.
> >
> > Frequent toe small family owned places - you'll enjoy superior food
> > and you'll support the little guy.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Not everybody is so lucky. Where I live, the "mom & pop" places are
> horrible. There are three in town, and unless your idea of great Chinese

is
> salty, greasy whatever with huge pieces of celery, onion, and tough meat,
> forget it. Anything, including Panda Express, is better than they are. I
> realize this isn't true everywhere, but you just can't make blanket
> statements like "you'll enjoy superior food." I don't want to support the
> little guy just for the sake of it - I will support them if their food is
> good.

Well it is assumed you would not be a repeat customer if the food was no
good. Panda Express to me is like Olive Garden. If I want microwave
Chinese food I'll heat it at home.

That's my 2 cents - where is my change?

Paul

Dan Abel