Frank A. Chris Dohrmann

Default Simple Mushroom Sauce Recipe, Please.

I love mushrooms over toast, my immigrant mother had us polish a silver
dime to put in the pot to see if the mushrooms were poison if it turn
black.

Was it a game for us? It was fun to find the dime and keep It.

Do you have a recipe? Thank you.

C. James Strutz

"Frank A. Chris Dohrmann" > wrote in message

> I love mushrooms over toast, my immigrant mother had us polish a silver
> dime to put in the pot to see if the mushrooms were poison if it turn
> black.

This is absolutely a falacy. You identify wild mushrooms by their physical
properties: size, shape, cap type, fertile surface type, habitat, season,
spore print, bruise color, etc. Sometimes you have to go to a microscope or
chemical test.

> Was it a game for us? It was fun to find the dime and keep It.

A very dangerous game. Great memories at least....

> Do you have a recipe? Thank you.

Some of the best mushroom sauces utilize dried mushrooms because you can use
the liquid you rehydrate the mushrooms in for the sauce. You can use water,
wine, sherry, or other flavored liquid to rehydrate mushrooms. Finely chop
the mushrooms, some shallots, and some garlic. Saute the shallots until they
begin to caramelize. Add the mushrooms and the garlic and saute for a minute
longer. Deglaze with some of the mushroom liquid and reduce until almost
gone. Keep on adding liquid and reducing to intensify the flavors. To
finish, you can add and reduce some cream to make a creamy sauce. Or you can
add and reduce the remaining mushroom liquid with some corn starch. Season
with fresh herbs, salt, and pepper.

Dimitri

"Frank A. Chris Dohrmann" > wrote in message
> I love mushrooms over toast, my immigrant mother had us polish a silver
> dime to put in the pot to see if the mushrooms were poison if it turn
> black.
>
> Was it a game for us? It was fun to find the dime and keep It.
>
> Do you have a recipe? Thank you.

Like this?

8 oz. drained canned mushrooms or 16 oz. fresh, sliced
2 oz. finely chopped onions
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 slices white bread, crusts removed
3/4 c. hollandaise sauce
4 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Oven roast bread at 300 degrees until golden brown. Sauté onion in butter
until clear and very slightly browned; add mushrooms and sauté until done.
If using fresh mushrooms, drain excess liquid. Add Worcestershire sauce,
salt and pepper. Remove toast from oven and butter. Divide mushroom
mixture evenly on toast. Top with Hollandaise sauce and sprinkle with
Parmesan cheese. Broil approximately 4 inches from flame until golden
brown. Serve immediately with a full-bodied white wine. Makes servings for
4.

Z GIRL

"C. James Strutz" > wrote in message

> "Frank A. Chris Dohrmann" > wrote in message
>
> > I love mushrooms over toast, my immigrant mother had us polish a silver
> > dime to put in the pot to see if the mushrooms were poison if it turn
> > black.

> This is absolutely a falacy. You identify wild mushrooms by their physical
> properties: size, shape, cap type, fertile surface type, habitat, season,
> spore print, bruise color, etc. Sometimes you have to go to a microscope

or
> chemical test.
>
> > Was it a game for us? It was fun to find the dime and keep It.

> A very dangerous game. Great memories at least....
>
> > Do you have a recipe? Thank you.

> Some of the best mushroom sauces utilize dried mushrooms because you can

use
> the liquid you rehydrate the mushrooms in for the sauce. You can use

water,
> wine, sherry, or other flavored liquid to rehydrate mushrooms. Finely chop
> the mushrooms, some shallots, and some garlic. Saute the shallots until

they
> begin to caramelize. Add the mushrooms and the garlic and saute for a

minute
> longer. Deglaze with some of the mushroom liquid and reduce until almost
> gone. Keep on adding liquid and reducing to intensify the flavors. To
> finish, you can add and reduce some cream to make a creamy sauce. Or you

can
> add and reduce the remaining mushroom liquid with some corn starch. Season
> with fresh herbs, salt, and pepper.

Use the sherry!!! Mushrooms in sherry are so delicious!!

peace,
Barbara

Katra

Dimitri wrote:

> "Frank A. Chris Dohrmann" > wrote in message
> > I love mushrooms over toast, my immigrant mother had us polish a silver
> > dime to put in the pot to see if the mushrooms were poison if it turn
> > black.
> >
> > Was it a game for us? It was fun to find the dime and keep It.
> >
> > Do you have a recipe? Thank you.

> Like this?
>
> 8 oz. drained canned mushrooms or 16 oz. fresh, sliced
> 2 oz. finely chopped onions
> Dash Worcestershire sauce
> Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
> 4 slices white bread, crusts removed
> 3/4 c. hollandaise sauce
> 4 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
>
> Oven roast bread at 300 degrees until golden brown. Sauté onion in butter
> until clear and very slightly browned; add mushrooms and sauté until done.
> If using fresh mushrooms, drain excess liquid. Add Worcestershire sauce,
> salt and pepper. Remove toast from oven and butter. Divide mushroom
> mixture evenly on toast. Top with Hollandaise sauce and sprinkle with
> Parmesan cheese. Broil approximately 4 inches from flame until golden
> brown. Serve immediately with a full-bodied white wine. Makes servings for
> 4.

How about Cambell's cream of mushroom soup, with no water added??? ;-)

K. <ducking and running for cover.....>

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Frank A. Chris Dohrmann

Katra mentioned Campbell's Mushroom Soup, so I sliced one pound of
mushrooms into a 2 quart pot with the undiluted soup over a low flame
for 20 minutes.

The moisture and flavor from the mushrooms turned it into a sauce I
enjoyed over toast very much.

Rudyard Kipling said "Words are the most powerful drugs used by mankind"
---
I am a Bright.

John D. Misrahi

>> "Frank A. Chris Dohrmann" > wrote in message
>> > I love mushrooms over toast, my immigrant mother had us polish a silver
>> > dime to put in the pot to see if the mushrooms were poison if it turn
>> > black.
>> >
>> > Was it a game for us? It was fun to find the dime and keep It.

I do hope she wasn't using that as an actual test for wild mushrooms..People
have died from that, its really an old wives tale. Though I'm sure it was a
fun game for little kids.

john

Katra

"Frank A. Chris Dohrmann" wrote:

> Katra mentioned Campbell's Mushroom Soup, so I sliced one pound of
> mushrooms into a 2 quart pot with the undiluted soup over a low flame
> for 20 minutes.
>
> The moisture and flavor from the mushrooms turned it into a sauce I
> enjoyed over toast very much.
>
> Rudyard Kipling said "Words are the most powerful drugs used by mankind"
> ---
> I am a Bright.

Canned cream soups for sauces are one of my favorite "kitchen cheats". ;-)

K.

"John D. Misrahi" wrote:

> I do hope she wasn't using that as an actual test for wild mushrooms..People
> have died from that, its really an old wives tale. Though I'm sure it was a
> fun game for little kids.
>
> john

It must be a widespread tale. I had a friend who did the same when cooking
barracuda to test for ciguatera.

For those who don't know what ciguatera is go to
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap36.html

Bert

Jack Schidt®

> wrote in message

message

silver

turn

> > I do hope she wasn't using that as an actual test for wild

mushrooms..People
> > have died from that, its really an old wives tale. Though I'm sure it

was a
> > fun game for little kids.
> >
> > john

> It must be a widespread tale. I had a friend who did the same when cooking
> barracuda to test for ciguatera.

I was on boat when a friend landed a 60? lb barracuda and we hadda toss it
back. This was off Hatteras. I'm told Pacific barracuda are edible.

Jack Teeth

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> > wrote in message

> message

> silver

> turn

> > > I do hope she wasn't using that as an actual test for wild

> mushrooms..People
> > > have died from that, its really an old wives tale. Though I'm sure it

> was a
> > > fun game for little kids.
> > >
> > > john

> > It must be a widespread tale. I had a friend who did the same when cooking
> > barracuda to test for ciguatera.
> >

> I was on boat when a friend landed a 60? lb barracuda and we hadda toss it
> back. This was off Hatteras. I'm told Pacific barracuda are edible.
>
> Jack Teeth

Small barracuda, around 20 or so pounds are OK. They still have a bit of the
toxin but not in enough quantity to hurt anyone.

Big grouper are also a carrier. About four or five years ago a group of people
got very sick with it. They caught a big grouper and made the mistake of
eathing the liver. It may have been a jewfish or goliath as they are known
now. The liver accumulates most of the toxin since it is the body's filter.

Bert
Katra

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> > wrote in message

> message

> silver

> turn

> > > I do hope she wasn't using that as an actual test for wild

> mushrooms..People
> > > have died from that, its really an old wives tale. Though I'm sure it

> was a
> > > fun game for little kids.
> > >
> > > john

> > It must be a widespread tale. I had a friend who did the same when cooking
> > barracuda to test for ciguatera.
> >

> I was on boat when a friend landed a 60? lb barracuda and we hadda toss it
> back. This was off Hatteras. I'm told Pacific barracuda are edible.
>
> Jack Teeth

Huh. You like toothy fish, try Garfish. ;-)

I ran into an alligator gar one night whilst night snorkeling in the San
Marcos river. (I have a headlamp/mask setup for night snorkeling).

Scary critter! I swam one way, he swam the other. <G>

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Claudia

Here are some Mushroom Sauce Recipes. I haven't tested them all...

Recipe: Mushroom Gravy

Ingredients:
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms sliced
1 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms sliced
1 shallot sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cup veg broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon sage
1/2 tesapoom salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1/4 cup soy milk (regular flavor)

2 teaspoons cup flour dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water

Equipment:
large skillet

Method:
Heat oil up on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add sliced mushrooms
and shallots. Saute for 10 minutes. Add minced garlic, salt, pepper and
sage. Saute 5 minutes more. Add white wine and saute. Add vegetable
broth. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, until liquid is reduced by about
half. Add flour mixture and combine well until sauce is thickened. Add
soy milk and cook only 1 or 2 more minutes. It's ready!

Additional Notes (if any): Use it on mashed potatoes, stuffing and all
foods that love gravy.
Recipe From: the post punk kitchen (www.theppk.com)

Jack Schidt®

> wrote in message
>
> Big grouper are also a carrier. About four or five years ago a group of

people
> got very sick with it. They caught a big grouper and made the mistake of
> eathing the liver. It may have been a jewfish or goliath as they are known
> now. The liver accumulates most of the toxin since it is the body's

filter.

My friends are wayyy more experienced with offshore fishing than I, and keep
a fish encyclopedia on board.

Jack Prep