Bob Gottlieb

Default Salpicon

Anyone have a recipe for Salpicon. Its a Salvadorean dish made with
chopped up meat, mint and radish. I tried Google, but didn't get the dish
I wanted.

--
Life is like a roll of toilet paper
the closer you get to the end...

Bob Gottlieb
Reg

Bob Gottlieb wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe for Salpicon. Its a Salvadorean dish made with
> chopped up meat, mint and radish. I tried Google, but didn't get the dish
> I wanted.

Salpicon De Quinoa

Recipe By : Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads/Dressings Appetizers

3/4 pound Raw quinoa
1/4 cup Fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Freshly-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Coarse sea salt
1 Serrano chile, seeded if desired -- minced
1/2 cup Olive oil
1 medium Cucumber -- peeled, seeded,
-- and cut 1/4” dice
1 medium Tomato -- seeded, and
-- cut into 1/4” dice
4 ounces Feta cheese -- crumbled
6 Spring onions, white parts only -- thinly sliced
1/2 bunch Flatleaf parsley, leaves only -- finely chopped
1/2 bunch Fresh mint, leaves only -- finely chopped
=== FOR GARNISH ===
1 small Radicchio head -- separated leaves
1/3 cup Cornichons
3 tablespoons Capers -- rinsed
Hard-boiled quail eggs -- shelled, left whole
Oil or brine-cured black olives -- stoned

Pour the quinoa into a bowl of cold water and rub it between your hands for a few minutes to wash it. Drain and repeat until the water is clear (it usually takes 2 rinses). In a large saucepan combine the quinoa with about 6 cups of cold water. Bring up to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until barely cooked. The quinoa is done when all the grains are translucent. Remove from the heat and drain well in a fine sieve. Fluff with a fork
or spread on a tea towel to help it cool faster. Use at once or store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the salad.
In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, pepper, salt, and chopped serrano. Whisk together, then drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until completely combined. In a large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa with the cucumber, tomato, feta, green onions, parsley, and mint. Toss to mix, then add the lime juice mixture and toss again, until the dressing is evenly distributed. Taste for seasonings. Mound into the radicchio leaves, using them as cups, and garnish as desired with cornichons,
capers, quail eggs, feta, and olives.
This recipe yields 6 servings.

Recipe Source:
TOO HOT TAMALES with Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken
From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # TH-6228 broadcast 03-20-1997)

Bob Gottlieb

In article >, Reg
> wrote:

> Bob Gottlieb wrote:
> > Anyone have a recipe for Salpicon. Its a Salvadorean dish made with
> > chopped up meat, mint and radish. I tried Google, but didn't get the dish
> > I wanted.
> >

> Salpicon De Quinoa
>
> Recipe By : Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Salads/Dressings Appetizers

> 3/4 pound Raw quinoa
> 1/4 cup Fresh lime juice
> 1/2 teaspoon Freshly-ground black pepper
> 1 teaspoon Coarse sea salt
> 1 Serrano chile, seeded if desired -- minced
> 1/2 cup Olive oil
> 1 medium Cucumber -- peeled, seeded,
> -- and cut 1/4” dice
> 1 medium Tomato -- seeded, and
> -- cut into 1/4” dice
> 4 ounces Feta cheese -- crumbled
> 6 Spring onions, white parts only -- thinly sliced
> 1/2 bunch Flatleaf parsley, leaves only -- finely chopped
> 1/2 bunch Fresh mint, leaves only -- finely chopped
> === FOR GARNISH ===
> 1 small Radicchio head -- separated leaves
> 1/3 cup Cornichons
> 3 tablespoons Capers -- rinsed
> Hard-boiled quail eggs -- shelled, left whole
> Oil or brine-cured black olives -- stoned
>
> Pour the quinoa into a bowl of cold water and rub it between your

hands for a few minutes to wash it. Drain and repeat until the water is
clear (it usually takes 2 rinses). In a large saucepan combine the quinoa
with about 6 cups of cold water. Bring up to a boil, stirring
occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until
barely cooked. The quinoa is done when all the grains are translucent.
Remove from the heat and drain well in a fine sieve. Fluff with a fork
> or spread on a tea towel to help it cool faster. Use at once or store

in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until ready to assemble
the salad.
> In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, pepper, salt, and chopped

serrano. Whisk together, then drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until
completely combined. In a large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa with the
cucumber, tomato, feta, green onions, parsley, and mint. Toss to mix,
then add the lime juice mixture and toss again, until the dressing is
evenly distributed. Taste for seasonings. Mound into the radicchio
leaves, using them as cups, and garnish as desired with cornichons,
> capers, quail eggs, feta, and olives.
> This recipe yields 6 servings.
>
> Recipe Source:
> TOO HOT TAMALES with Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken
> From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # TH-6228 broadcast 03-20-1997)

Thanks...but....Ithe one I had was very simple...I found several on the
net, but they were like this one..complicated..
Thanks for the response

--
Life is like a roll of toilet paper
the closer you get to the end...
the faster it goes..

Bob Gottlieb
Reg

Bob Gottlieb wrote:

> Thanks...but....Ithe one I had was very simple...I found several on the
> net, but they were like this one..complicated..
> Thanks for the response

OK, here's a simpler one. Try substituting mint for the cilantro and
throw in some meat.

Salpicon

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salsas

2 Habanero Chiles, Stems and
-Seeds Removed, Diced *
1 lg Red Onion, Diced
10 Radishes, Thickly Sliced
3 tb Bitter Orange Juice **
3 tb Chopped Fresh Cilantro

* Substitute 2 Jalapeno or 3 Serrano chiles. ** Substitute 3 tb fresh lime
juice.

Combine all the ingredients, except the cilantro, and allow to sit for an
hour to blend the flavors. Toss with cilantro and serve.

Heat Scale: Medium

From: Chile Pepper Magazine, February, 1994