mary

Default High Cost of Beef

I saw in the San Francisco Chronicle that the cost of beef has reached all
time highs. If I remember correctly, the last time this happened we entered
ten years of inflation. I wonder if beef prices would be such an indication
this time.

Tom

claude larochelle

very simple explanation: you are refusing imports of beef from canada
because ONE sick cow has been found ; meanwhile we in canada have an
excess of that beef living and not!

mary wrote:
> I saw in the San Francisco Chronicle that the cost of beef has reached all
> time highs. If I remember correctly, the last time this happened we entered
> ten years of inflation. I wonder if beef prices would be such an indication
> this time.
>
> Tom

Tim Challenger

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:37:44 -0500, claude larochelle wrote:

> very simple explanation: you are refusing imports of beef from canada
> because ONE sick cow has been found ;

One bad apple....

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
tai fu

I bought a kilogram of ground beef from my local butcher for like 170 NT
(thats about 5 bucks USD)

sf

It's truely ridiculous! If no other cattle (which were
freely exchanged between the two countries) have come down
with it (in I don't know HOW many months), then why can't we
continue to buy Canadian beef?

````````````````

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:37:44 -0500, claude larochelle
> wrote:

> very simple explanation: you are refusing imports of beef from canada
> because ONE sick cow has been found ; meanwhile we in canada have an
> excess of that beef living and not!
>
> mary wrote:
> > I saw in the San Francisco Chronicle that the cost of beef has reached all
> > time highs. If I remember correctly, the last time this happened we entered
> > ten years of inflation. I wonder if beef prices would be such an indication
> > this time.
> >
> > Tom

Tim Challenger

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 05:25:46 GMT, sf wrote:

> It's truely ridiculous! If no other cattle (which were
> freely exchanged between the two countries) have come down
> with it (in I don't know HOW many months), then why can't we
> continue to buy Canadian beef?

By the time they show symptoms it's way too late. Affected (infectious)
cattle don't show symptoms at all, so how would you know. Better to work on
the principle of "no smoke without fire". Look to the UK to find out what
happens if you don't.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
occupant

While it is true that one sick dead cow tested positive for BSE after
sitting in a lab for a month to two, the problem is that the Canadian
beef industry still splits the spine and feeds 30 percent of cow blood
back to the cow and 30 percent of the cow blood back to the chicken and
the pig. Great Britain stopped these practices but Canadians have not.
Evidently, cows, chickens and pigs refuse to eat their feed if it
contains more than 30 percent blood for flavouring or for whatever
reason they put the cows blood in their feed.
I also recently learned that eyeballs may be used in ground beef. More
than I wanted to know. McDonalds where are you?

I love beef, but I won't eat the stuff until they clean up their act.
Also a recent study published in the Vancouver Sun newspaper found many
Canadian slaughterhouses filthy.

claude larochelle wrote:

> very simple explanation: you are refusing imports of beef from canada
> because ONE sick cow has been found ; meanwhile we in canada have an
> excess of that beef living and not!
>
> mary wrote:
> > I saw in the San Francisco Chronicle that the cost of beef has reached all
> > time highs. If I remember correctly, the last time this happened we entered
> > ten years of inflation. I wonder if beef prices would be such an indication
> > this time.
> >
> > Tom

Dawn

Greykits wrote:

>>I saw in the San Francisco Chronicle that the cost of beef has reached all
>>time highs....

> I saw ground beef at the store yesterday for $4.19 per pound. This wasn't
> ground round or anything special. I really need to go to my local butcher
> instead of Safeway.

I dunno. Here in KC I can get ground chuck for $2.69 a pound. For $4.00+
we start talking steaks. And I shop at an expensive old-fashioned
butcher shop, not the cheapo supermarket.

Dawn

sf

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:09:50 -0600, Dawn
> wrote:
> For $4.00+
> we start talking steaks. And I shop at an expensive old-fashioned
> butcher shop, not the cheapo supermarket.

$4 is expensive?
Dawn

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:09:50 -0600, Dawn
> > wrote:
>
>> For $4.00+
>> we start talking steaks. And I shop at an expensive old-fashioned
>> butcher shop, not the cheapo supermarket.
>>

> $4 is expensive?

Depends what you are buying. What I was saying is that if it's beef
they're selling *here* and it's more than $4 a pound it's a steak. The
ground beef ranges from $1.99 to $2.69 a pound, the stew beef is $3.29,
as are the cubed steaks. I consider those 'economical' prices. The real
steaks start around $4.99 and go up from there, the really good ones are
over $10 a lb. And they are really good, first quality, cut with a fork
tender....

The local chain grocery stores can be cheaper than my butcher. Ground
beef for 99 cents, and strip steaks under eight bucks a pound, but it's
crappy quality beef.

So, no, I'm not seeing the price of beef go up where I shop. Someone
posted they were getting ground beef for $4.99 a pound. For that price I
can get an inexpensive cut of steak.

Dawn

PENMART01

sf > writes:

>Dawn wrote:
>>For $4.00+ we start talking steaks.
>>And I shop at an expensive old-fashioned
>>butcher shop, not the cheapo supermarket.

>$4 is expensive?

And she's talking tube steaks... so I trust at those prices they're kosher.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon