Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: notbob

I turned on FoodNetwork and guess what was on?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

Shortbread Cookies
2008, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved

Serves:
20 cookies

Ingredients

* 3/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 6 to 7 ounces very good semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix
together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined.
Add the vanilla. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt,
then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until
the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with
flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30
minutes.

Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut with a 3 by 1-inch finger-shaped
cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle
with sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown.
Allow to cool to room temperature.

When the cookies are cool, place them on a baking sheet lined with
parchment paper. Put 3 ounces of the chocolate in a glass bowl and
microwave on high power for 30 seconds. (Don't trust your microwave
timer; time it with your watch.) Stir with a wooden spoon. Continue to
heat and stir in 30-second increments until the chocolate is just
melted. Add the remaining chocolate and allow it to sit at room
temperature, stirring often, until it's completely smooth. Stir
vigorously until the chocolate is smooth and slightly cooled; stirring
makes it glossier.

Drizzle 1/2 of each cookie with just enough chocolate to coat it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-17, sf > wrote:

> Ingredients
>
> * 3/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
> * 1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
> * 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
> * 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
> * 1/4 teaspoon salt
> * 6 to 7 ounces very good semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

With exception of chocolate, looks like basic shortbread recipe,
although somewhat off kilter butter to flour ratio, which is typically
1:1 of cubes:cups. I've got FTV again, so will look to see if that
episode runs again. Thank you for the heads up.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:30:10 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>With exception of chocolate, looks like basic shortbread recipe,
>although somewhat off kilter butter to flour ratio, which is typically
>1:1 of cubes:cups.

I wouldn't want chocolate in mine either, but I think I'd try
chocolate drizzled on the outside ala biscotti.

>I've got FTV again, so will look to see if that episode runs again.
> Thank you for the heads up.

YW!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Biscotti ( Ping: notbob)

On 2009-11-17, sf > wrote:

> chocolate drizzled on the outside ala biscotti.

OMG!! Biscotti!

I never thought about it before, having previously been all flour
flummoxed. Now that I'm getting all bakey-flakey and flour feverish
and such, I've got to make some anise biscotti, my most favorite
coffee accompanying affliction of all time. (choco allowed)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:14:03 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-11-17, sf > wrote:
>
>> chocolate drizzled on the outside ala biscotti.

>OMG!! Biscotti!
>
>I never thought about it before, having previously been all flour
>flummoxed. Now that I'm getting all bakey-flakey and flour feverish
>and such, I've got to make some anise biscotti, my most favorite
>coffee accompanying affliction of all time. (choco allowed)
>
>nb

You know, you're right. I was going to make a partial recipe of
shortbread, but I like biscotti better so I'll make a full recipe of
that!

Hey, maybe your bake along should be biscotti instead of cinnamon
buns! There are lots of variations and it's faster too. Kind of. No
waiting for the dough to rise, at least.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Ping: Notbob Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 1 25-01-2011 01:24 AM
Ping: Notbob Boron Elgar General Cooking 0 24-01-2011 03:43 PM
Ping: Notbob sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 23-01-2011 09:10 PM
Ping: notbob sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 05-01-2011 05:49 PM
Ping: Notbob sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 19-07-2010 09:54 PM