Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Many Here Have the Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner?

See above.

Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chuck Kopsho" > wrote in message
> See above.

I always have, but we are eating out this year. Taking a break! (Also from
the relatives ...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We have two, one at my brother's place and one at home. The one
at home is not on the same day, of course. Turkey and all the
trimmings.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> We have two, one at my brother's place and one at home. The one
> at home is not on the same day, of course. Turkey and all the
> trimmings.
>
> nancy

I normally do. This is the first year H and I will be alone....ma look into
other possibilities.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 14, 5:36 pm, (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
> See above.

Don't know why, but the Thanksgiving meal here is always the
traditional turkey, dressing, etc. For all other holidays we vary
widely among Chinese banquet type things or roast beef or ham or leg
of lamb, but for Thanksgiving no question it's turkey. Now that I
think of it there is another traditional holiday meal: we always eat
Chinese for the lunar new year. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have, for years. Used to have it at what I call "the big house", a 4
bed 3 story 2.5 bath place I lived in for 13 years. Then after I had
to move, had it at my dad's house with the help of my sister and dad.

That tradition ended last year (or two?), and it looks like it's not
going to happen this year either. :-( Bummer! I especially loved all
the leftovers! Mmmmmm! I ate many a "Thanksgving dinner that couldn't
be beat", days after Thanksgiving!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 8:36 pm, (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
> See above.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck Kopsho
> Oceanside, California

I did the orphan/out-of-towner/potluck thanksgiving for most of my
adult life, then home for christmas. Can't decide this year if to
accept the invitation with a lot of strangers or make my own bird for
the first time in years. Not much family here, Dad barely knows what
day it is anymore, and I'll want to clear his menu with the hospital
dietician, so probably not the full on spread. Maybe at least the
cranberry in a can, maybe mama stamberg's, that thing with the beans
and mushroom soup and canned fried onions. I can cook good the rest
of the year - this is about tradition and comfort.

I really like orphans' thanksgiving - not to be sappy, but sharing
love, food, kitchen chores with folks who might be at best friends of
friends of friends is what this holiday is about. Deal with the
annoying relatives next month, then burn off the memory the next week.

An excellent schedule.

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> We have two, one at my brother's place and one at home. The one
>> at home is not on the same day, of course. Turkey and all the
>> trimmings.

> I normally do. This is the first year H and I will be alone....ma
> look into other possibilities.

Tyler Florence made a turkey breast rolled with a leek stuffing
on today's show. Seems like a great idea if it's just a couple of
people and you only like the white meat. I don't mean you in
particular, Janet. (laugh) Just thinking what might appeal to
people rather than making a whole turkey. Me, I never seem to
be able to turn down that whole free turkey from the supermarket.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Chuck Kopsho) wrote:

> See above.

Not me, but then I live in a country which doesn't celebrate
Thanksgiving.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 5:36*pm, (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
> * See above.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck Kopsho
> Oceanside, California

Just the two of us, with our parents gone and the rest of the family
far away. Usually friends ask us to join them, but we kind of prefer
making a lazy day of it, watching football games & roasting a 12 lb
turkey with the traditional sides we both grew up eating...nothing
earth shattering - mashed potatoes, butternut squash, brussels
sprouts in browned butter. Our moms both made bread stuffing with
onions, celery & sage, so at DH's request, I stick with that. I
trot out the good china & linens, set a pretty table for 2 & light
some candles. Dessert is usually something small, but yummy - maybe
diminutive tart tartins this year. The last thing we need is leftover
pie calling out to us in the night...

Nancy T
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 9:56*pm, Leonard Blaisdell >
wrote:
> This ought to horrify most here. I trim off all the remaining meat after
> dinner and dispose of the carcass. I dislike roasted turkey soup and so
> does she.

I discard the carcass as well, for the same reason as you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Chuck Kopsho) wrote in news:20733-4AFF5B29-
:

> See above.

Me/us. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 12:14 am, wrote:
> On Nov 14, 9:56 pm, Leonard Blaisdell >
> wrote:
>
> > This ought to horrify most here. I trim off all the remaining meat after
> > dinner and dispose of the carcass. I dislike roasted turkey soup and so
> > does she.

> I discard the carcass as well, for the same reason as you.

I hate waste, and on the other hand, enjoy the roasted carcass soup at
least as much as the thursday bird. Would much rather have carcass
soup with leftover yams than dried-out breast meat at the family
dinner.

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:36:41 -0800, (Chuck Kopsho)
wrote:

> See above.

I do. It's the only time I eat turkey all year.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Janet wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> We have two, one at my brother's place and one at home. The one
>>> at home is not on the same day, of course. Turkey and all the
>>> trimmings.

>> I normally do. This is the first year H and I will be alone....ma
>> look into other possibilities.

> Tyler Florence made a turkey breast rolled with a leek stuffing
> on today's show. Seems like a great idea if it's just a couple of people
> and you only like the white meat. I don't mean you in
> particular, Janet. (laugh) Just thinking what might appeal to people
> rather than making a whole turkey. Me, I never seem to be able to turn
> down that whole free turkey from the supermarket.
> nancy

I haven't gotten my coupon for a free turkey yet. I'm wondering if kroger is
going to be doing that this year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> Janet wrote:
>>> I normally do. This is the first year H and I will be alone....ma
>>> look into other possibilities.

>> Tyler Florence made a turkey breast rolled with a leek stuffing
>> on today's show. Seems like a great idea if it's just a couple of people
>> and you only like the white meat. I don't mean you in
>> particular, Janet. (laugh) Just thinking what might appeal to people
>> rather than making a whole turkey. Me, I never seem to be able to turn
>> down that whole free turkey from the supermarket.
>> nancy

> I haven't gotten my coupon for a free turkey yet. I'm wondering if kroger is
> going to be doing that this year.

The Kroger here is selling turkeys for 27 cents a pound, limit one with
a $20 minimum purchase. We got a 16 pounder yesterday for $4.50
Walmart is selling turkeys for 40 cents a pound and we got a 22 pound
bird there.

There have been so many good deals on meat the past month or two that
our freezer is full to the top.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
> I really like orphans' thanksgiving - not to be sappy, but sharing
> love, food, kitchen chores with folks who might be at best friends of
> friends of friends is what this holiday is about. Deal with the
> annoying relatives next month, then burn off the memory the next week.
>
> An excellent schedule.
>
> Bulka

We have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, although being from the
south, we have cornbread dressing.

At our church we have orphan dinners, they are a lot of fun. In one
corner, they have a television so the people who are interested can
watch the "game", whatever game that is. The church supplies the
turkeys, everyone else brings appetizers, side dishes, breads and
desserts. We have a bar, wine and champagne, it is fun.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> people rather than making a whole turkey. Me, I never seem to be
>> able to turn down that whole free turkey from the supermarket.

> I haven't gotten my coupon for a free turkey yet. I'm wondering if
> kroger is going to be doing that this year.

I wondered the same thing just yesterday. I did see the turkeys
in marked bins, so I assume my supermarket is doing it as usual,
but there was nothing in the circular. Next time I go I'll check my
receipt.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

To the poster who said they throw away the carcass. We saved the
carcass for boiling to make turkey stock for future use. It sure
tastes good when used for soup. Just our preference.

Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We made a 12 pounder last week and enjoy it most of the week. That
should help stave off the leftover cravings from Thanksgiving when we
spend it at our daughters for dinner and the day. Cooked the bird on
the grill for an hour and a half to get the good smoked flavor, then
brought it in to finish in the oven where I could easily baste it. I
even stuff 'em for the grill. The stuffing cooked out of the bird
never has cut it for me!!
But if we are alone for the day we usually do a good stk and keep it
football simple!!
Everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful
for.
Nan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 18:13:57 -0800 (PST), aem wrote:

> On Nov 14, 5:36 pm, (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
>> See above.
>>

> Don't know why, but the Thanksgiving meal here is always the
> traditional turkey, dressing, etc. For all other holidays we vary
> widely among Chinese banquet type things or roast beef or ham or leg
> of lamb, but for Thanksgiving no question it's turkey. Now that I
> think of it there is another traditional holiday meal: we always eat
> Chinese for the lunar new year. -aem

but you eat chinese often enough that it could be by chance.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
>
>> See above.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck Kopsho
>> Oceanside, California

> I'm thinking one could say there is a "national tradition" involving
> turkey, dressing or stuffing, vegetables, and pie for dessert. Beyond
> that, all bets are off; there are many, many options within each
> category, traditional to whoever has done it that way more than twice.
>
> When Chris moved to AZ 16 years ago he and friends who were away from
> "home" celebrated together. He prepares the turkey and, I think, the
> gravy. Everyone else was invited to bring whatever it was that "made it
> Thanksgiving" for the individual. Doug, from Alabama, brought cornbread
> dressing. Someone else brought pecan pie. Someone brought The Dreaded
> Green Bean Casserole. Someone brought scalloped corn.
>
> I've threatened to crash the party. I'd bring the cooked giblets. "-)

We're holding a wee, small T-Day celebration this year. Two of the
grandkids are expecting babies and aren't supposed to travel, the other
one is broke and can't afford to travel. Daughter and her hubby and
stepson, Michael the Large, are coming Wednesday afternoon. Daughter is
bringing a free turkey she got and I will prepare it. I have purchased a
small ham, we will have mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, cornbread
dressing, lemon meringue pie, green beans with those French's onions on
top (a favorite with SIL), a veggie tray with dips, shrimp cocktail for
starters and other assorted side dishes. Dinner will be followed by lots
of belt loosening, groans of happiness, and loud snores from all.

If all the descendants were coming I would have to start cooking today
and rent a large fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 8:36*pm, (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
> * See above.

It's just the two of us. We'll have:

a 12- to 14-pound stuffed turkey
stuffing (in the bird)
mashed potatoes
gravy
tossed salad
cranberry-orange relish

I leave it to you to decide whether that's traditional.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 16, 10:58*am, Stu > wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 06:38:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>
> > wrote:
>
> -->On Nov 14, 8:36*pm, (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
> -->> * See above.
> -->
> -->It's just the two of us. *We'll have:
> -->
> -->a 12- to 14-pound stuffed turkey
> -->stuffing (in the bird)
> -->mashed potatoes
> -->gravy
> -->tossed salad
> -->cranberry-orange relish
> -->
> -->I leave it to you to decide whether that's traditional.
> -->
> -->Cindy Hamilton
>
> pumpkin pie of course

No, he won't eat it, and I don't need one all to myself.

We usually eat the cranberry-orange relish as dessert.
Neither of us eats fruit and meat together.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mmmmm, I love pumpkin pie. It's what I live for every holiday season.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You must be Canadian. I'm talking about Thanksgiving, American style.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> (Chuck Kopsho) wrote in news:15292-4B01CC18-35
> @storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:
>
> > Happy Thanksgiving!

> Bit late aren't you? Thanksgiving was a month ago.

Some of us (300 million) are just a little slow.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I bake pumpkin pies from Thanksgiving through the end of the year, usually 3
> or 4, but only if I have fresh pumpkin that I've cooked. You know what I'd
> do with the turkey. :-)

I'm sure your cats are very happy. Mine can have the pumpkin, too.

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote in news:dabel-75956C.18572316112009@c-61-
68-245-199.per.connect.net.au:

>> > Happy Thanksgiving!

>> Bit late aren't you? Thanksgiving was a month ago.

> Some of us (300 million) are just a little slow.

Like molasses moving uphill in November, I'd say :-)

--

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

-John Stuart Mill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

>> You must be Canadian. I'm talking about Thanksgiving, American style.

> He was just being a butthead because he could (no offense Michel).

Hardly being a butthead when one points out the obvious.

Bwahaha!!!!!!!

--

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

-John Stuart Mill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Phyllis Stone wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> people rather than making a whole turkey. Me, I never seem to be
>>> able to turn down that whole free turkey from the supermarket.

>> I haven't gotten my coupon for a free turkey yet. I'm wondering if
>> kroger is going to be doing that this year.

> I wondered the same thing just yesterday. I did see the turkeys
> in marked bins, so I assume my supermarket is doing it as usual,
> but there was nothing in the circular. Next time I go I'll check my
> receipt.

I was lucky and the cashier/manager was in a gregarious mood
today ... she told me I'd probably get my free turkey next time I
shopped. Handed me my receipt and said You know, you only have
until Thursday! Woah. I had no idea.

Somehow I'll have to find something to spend $34 on in the next
couple of days.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>
> >> You must be Canadian. I'm talking about Thanksgiving, American style.

> > He was just being a butthead because he could (no offense Michel).

> Hardly being a butthead when one points out the obvious.
>
> Bwahaha!!!!!!!

Yeah, I like to do that myself. There's a thread on this group, and I'm
gathering my ammunition now. It's about foods that we like here in
America (and I love mentioning that you live in "America") but that
aren't liked in "international" travel, which some people seem to
interpret as going to Europe. So, cheese was mentioned. Somebody
replied that *everybody* eats cheese, and cited three countries in
Northern Europe as proof! Well, there's just a whole lot of people in
Africa and Asia who are lactose intolerant, and so dairy isn't so common
in those parts of the world.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote in news:dabel-7E2ED5.09431417112009@c-61-
68-245-199.per.connect.net.au:

> Well, there's just a whole lot of people in
> Africa and Asia who are lactose intolerant, and so dairy isn't so common
> in those parts of the world.

Also certain tastes are unpleasant to some people. For example, most North
Americans refuse to eat bitter foods, but they form part of the basic
tastes of various types of Asian cuisine.

--

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

-John Stuart Mill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:19:50 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> Phyllis Stone wrote:
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I haven't gotten my coupon for a free turkey yet. I'm wondering if
>>> kroger is going to be doing that this year.

>> I wondered the same thing just yesterday. I did see the turkeys
>> in marked bins, so I assume my supermarket is doing it as usual,
>> but there was nothing in the circular. Next time I go I'll check my
>> receipt.

>I was lucky and the cashier/manager was in a gregarious mood
>today ... she told me I'd probably get my free turkey next time I
>shopped. Handed me my receipt and said You know, you only have
>until Thursday! Woah. I had no idea.
>
>Somehow I'll have to find something to spend $34 on in the next
>couple of days.

TFI: You've got more than a week. Thanksgiving is the 26th not the
19th.