Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brick Chili

California has a brand of products called XLNT

http://www.xlntfoods.com/

One of the products we use is their "brick Chili" We find it in the
prepackaged deli section- we just thin it with a little water and use it for
hot dogs or tamales or burgers.

I noticed their products are available mostly in California and concentrated
in Southern California.

I wonder if there are similar products in your area - wherever that may be.

TIA.

--
Dimitri

Soy & Vegetables

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 26, 7:20 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> California has a brand of products called XLNT
>
> http://www.xlntfoods.com/
>
> One of the products we use is their "brick Chili" We find it in the
> prepackaged deli section- we just thin it with a little water and use it for
> hot dogs or tamales or burgers.
>
> I noticed their products are available mostly in California and concentrated
> in Southern California.
>
> I wonder if there are similar products in your area - wherever that may be.

Hunh, imagine that. I've seen their stuff for years and never
happened to pick any up even though I've always thought the name was
cute. So I should check it out? Chili is always an experiment for
me, and sometimes I've started with canned chilis and doctored them
up, but I've not found any yet that are good enough to repeat the
experiment. (Staggs came closest.) Guess the next time will be with
XLNT. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> On Oct 26, 7:20 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> California has a brand of products called XLNT
>>
>> http://www.xlntfoods.com/
>>
>> One of the products we use is their "brick Chili" We find it in the
>> prepackaged deli section- we just thin it with a little water and use it
>> for
>> hot dogs or tamales or burgers.
>>
>> I noticed their products are available mostly in California and
>> concentrated
>> in Southern California.
>>
>> I wonder if there are similar products in your area - wherever that may
>> be.
>>

> Hunh, imagine that. I've seen their stuff for years and never
> happened to pick any up even though I've always thought the name was
> cute. So I should check it out? Chili is always an experiment for
> me, and sometimes I've started with canned chilis and doctored them
> up, but I've not found any yet that are good enough to repeat the
> experiment. (Staggs came closest.) Guess the next time will be with
> XLNT. -aem

aem,
If I'm too rushed to make from scratch I've found a dried chili mix that
gives excellent results. Bear Creek 'Darn Good Chili Mix' is my fallback big
pot 'o chili. When the guys show up unannounced to watch the playoff game or
it's snowing like crazy and we need something quick and good it's perfect.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-26, Zeppo > wrote:

> gives excellent results. Bear Creek 'Darn Good Chili Mix' is my fallback big
> pot 'o chili.

Probably the most common dry chili kit is Carrol Shelby's Original
Texas Chili Kit. I can't imagine any supermarket in the US not
carrying it.

http://www.crossroads-market.com/pro...179&variation=

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 26, 11:51 am, "Zeppo" > wrote:

> If I'm too rushed to make from scratch I've found a dried chili mix that
> gives excellent results. Bear Creek 'Darn Good Chili Mix' is my fallback big
> pot 'o chili. When the guys show up unannounced to watch the playoff game or
> it's snowing like crazy and we need something quick and good it's perfect.

I did try that once because I've been a user of the Bear Creek dried
potato soup mix for some time. I prefer to do the all day everything
but the kitchen sink chili project once or twice a year, so I use the
shortcut starting points when the chili urge strikes without bringing
the energy for the whole effort. The underlying problem of course is
that I'm too lazy to experiment with the various chile peppers, fresh,
dried and smoked, until I find the combination we really like. -aem

Brick chili zxcvbob Preserving 10 13-12-2009 01:44 AM
Old-Fashioned Brick Chili meezermom Recipes (moderated) 0 29-10-2007 12:07 AM
BBQ Brick Dondie Barbecue 0 09-05-2007 06:08 AM
Speaking of Chili, anybody got a Chili con Carne recipe featuring smoked brisket? Chef Juke Barbecue 3 18-08-2006 07:00 PM
Rye Brick BestBread Sourdough 6 07-05-2006 09:53 PM